- November 15: Toyota Recalls 40,000 Prius Plug-In Hybrids That Can Stall recalls | 8 days ago
- November 15: Toyota Recalls C-HR SUVs Due to Parking Brake Problems recalls | 8 days ago
- November 11: Toyota Tundra Rear Bumper Lawsuit Says Brackets Failed news | 12 days ago
- October 28: Subaru Admits Selling Vehicles Without Proper Inspections news | 26 days ago
- October 19: Toyota Recalls Sienna Minivans Over Rollaway Risk recalls | 35 days ago
CarComplaints.com Notes: If you're looking for a vehicle with one of the most complained about transmission on the road, look no further than the 2001-2003 Toyota RAV4.
In 2001 Toyota completely redesigned the popular SUV. While some enjoyed the new look, they did not enjoy the harsh shifting, jumping from gear-to-gear and eventual transmission failure that cost owners well over $3,000 to fix. The problem stems from a malfunctioning Electronic Control Module (ECM).
Consumer outrage coupled with pressure from different agencies led Toyota to extend the warranty nationwide back in 2010. The previous power train warranty only covered 5 years/60,000 miles, while the extended warranty now covers the transmission and ECM for 10 years/150,000 miles. Toyota also pledged to reimburse any owners who had previously paid for repairs, if they had "proper proof". Good luck collecting on that one.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 114,658 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 4 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace transmission-ecm (3 reports)
- not sure (1 reports)