CarComplaints.com Notes: What the heck happened here? A year after getting our "seal of pretty good" for the 2004, Chrysler turns around and delivers this crapwagon.

This minivan has problems ranging from rack and pinion steering failure to door locks that won't let you out. And trust me, you'll want to get out.

2005 Chrysler Town & Country electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Town & Country:

2005 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 3 of 7)

Oct 032013

Town & Country

2005 Chrysler Town and country power door locks & radio/dvd player inoperative. The power locks have stopped working at different intervals. Pulling the 20A iod fuse and reinserting it after 10 minutes or pulling the cable off of the battery for 10 minutes ** not*** fixed the problem so far. Van is currently in shop and we were told it was the fuse box module.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Aug 222013

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the doors could not be opened electronically or manually. The contact's personal mechanic inspected the vehicle and advised that the electrical sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 85,000.

- Southington, CT, USA

Jun 132011

Town & Country 6-cyl

Automatic sliding doors continue to fail and need to replace electrical unit. Have replaced 2 times on both sides. Automatic door locks do not work by either keyless entry or by manually pushing button. Makes getting into vehicle with 2 small children very difficult especially since there is no key hole on passenger side door.

- Lone Tree, IA, USA

Aug 152012

Town & Country

When driving an a consistent cruising speed for a period of time I will start to brake or slow down and the dashboard including all gages, lights and radio will loose power and flicker on and off. Sometimes they will stay off and other times after flickering for 30 seconds to 2 minutes then they will start to operate properly until the next time I have to slow down or brake. Several time it caused the engine to loose power for a couple of seconds and then start back up.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 312013

Town & Country 6-cyl

Power door locks stop working. Remote control activation of power liftgate activates alarm. Software defect in body control module. Chrysler charges for software update ($120 for half hour labor). Tsb 08-040-04 can temporary fix by removing iod fuse for 30 seconds to reset the body control module.

- Algonquin, IL, USA

Jul 022012

Town & Country 6-cyl

Instrument cluster lights all go on, then the gauges stop working, the trip computer stops fails, the lights flicker high to low or low to high beam and can't be changed sometimesthe engine stops running while traveling down the road at 25-75 mph! the first indicator seems that the air bag light comes on as being "off". sometimes the lights & gauges go back to normal. A guaranteed short-term fix is to remove the battery to reset the battery button under the battery, or take the positive terminal off & ground it against an exposed bolt. Many seem to have been fooled into buying a new battery, only to have the same problem re-arise, inadvertently "fixed" when the a new battery, but just lifting the old battery a little would have done the same short-term trick. The sequence of failure seems to be (rain influenced?): air bag light comes on, lights flicker, all gauges & gear position indicators light up, speedo & tach pulse then fail, then you can just drive with all warning lights lit -no tach or speedo...then every thing resets in 10 seconds to 10 minutes, or, dash lights go out then the engine quits, leaving you driving a powerless rolling brick in traffic, fighting the steering wheel without power steering, having only inertia (if you are smart enough to have thrown the van into neutral) to coast off the road, through an intersection, etc. Our dealership's diagnosis was a "bad instrument cluster" - hardly, as I don't see how disconnecting the battery will instantly "fix" the instrument cluster for a while, or how the cluster will affect switching between high & low beams, or kill the engine after a sequence of events. This is a well know progressively dangerous problem, of failure leading to sudden loss of power. There are many, many electrical complaints relating to electrical failures regarding loss of functionality and engine power.

- Huntington, WV, USA

Feb 152013

Town & Country

Started with erratic jumping of instrument needles synchronous with electrical popping in sound system and flickering of all lights. Has gotten progressively worse to now, killing the engine suddenly while under power conditions, leaving vehicle without power steering and necessitating shifting to neutral while at full road speed, and restarting the engine to regain operative control, all while in operation on the road in traffic. This has happened on four occasions during the past three weeks to this date. Vehicle also has electrical "hiccups" resulting in disengagement of transmission under operating conditions, which has so far (six incidences) re-engaged within ten seconds pursuant.this morning, July 11, 2013, while awaiting a traffic light, the engine killed and the entire system locked up for several minutes, including inability to move shifter, no response to key in ignition; complete shutdown. Approximately four to five minutes later, it suddenly unlocked, was able to be put in neutral and restarted, and driven away with no indication of any difficulty, as if nothing had happened. All of the above events have been similarly intermittent and unpredictable. It is apparent to me that something is defective in this vehicle, and I have encountered several other owners of Chrysler trucks and minivans who have experienced some or all of the above. Chrysler should be accountable for the parts it installs in it's products and needs to address and correct these very real and expensive safety hazards at the first possible moment.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Jul 092013

Town & Country 6-cyl

We recently purchased van with 66000 miles on it, do not feel safe driving now because of its problem. Stalls at traffic lights, all lights do a pulse/ surge, and effect driving vehicle. We have done some research on this problem and see that we are not the only one dealing with this problem.

- Gastonia, NC, USA

Apr 222013

Town & Country 6-cyl

My air bag light keeps coming on, I do not know if they are functioning correctly. I found a recall #07V192000 that appeared to address my problem but Chrysler says that my VIN # is not covered. I also found recall #10V008000 which also addresses this problem but my vehicle was not manufactured during the dates of this one. Obviously Chrysler knows this is an issue on vehicles manufactured during the same time as mine but they have excluded certain vehicles manufactured during this time frame that have this same issue, like mine.

- Worton, MD, USA

Jul 022011

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning on several occasions. In addition, the rear passenger's sliding door failed to open electrically. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis where it was determined that the electrical module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the problem still persisted. The manufacturer was notified. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000. Kmj

- Laurel , MD, USA

May 082013

Town & Country 6-cyl

My car was put into drive with out there being any key in the ignition rolled forward I tested it again to see if there was something I did not do and again on a flat serface no key in the ignition not foot on the brake I was able to get it into drive.

- Everett, WA, USA

Nov 222012

Town & Country 6-cyl

Driving at 65 mph on interstate, the warning "ding" went off as if a door was open, then the gauges started to sweep erratically, at the same time several dashboard lights flashed on and off. The odometer and prdnl lights flicker, as well as the head lights. It continued to happen going down the road at any given moment. I have noticed that it is more frequent when raining and when I accelerate, pulling on the engine. The headlights, odometer, and prndl flicker at an idle. If it begins the happen, I can stop the van, shut it off, then restart it and this usually solves the problem. I have checked the battery connections, replaced the battery, none of these has resolved this problem. As I have researched this on the internet, I see this as a common problem for 2005 Dodge/Chrysler vans. Some report stalling, which can be a very serious problem. Mine has not done that yet.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Apr 202013

Town & Country 6-cyl

Spark plug blew out of engine ripping out the treads shop recommends replacing the head. Because engine caused spark plug to come loose. This is a poor design to have parts work their way out and could be a danger if it hit someone.

- Citrus Heights , CA, USA

Nov 012012

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the passenger and driver's side tail lights failed. The contact noticed that water had entered the tail lights. The contact removed the bulbs and discovered that the bulb sockets were melted and burned. In addition, the rear power windows also failed. The dome light also failed to illuminate. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue but offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 160,000. The current mileage was 180,000.

- Dalhart , TX, USA

Jun 012012

Town & Country

Since this past summer our van has demonstrated on multiple occasions flickering of light, cluster gauges, and the radio turns on and off; dangerous as speedometer and fuel gauge become unreadable; researched online and many people having same issue; seems like everyone paying a lot of money to have fixed but problems still persist; this is an issue Chrysler should recall like the headlight switch.

- Woolwich Twp, NJ, USA

Feb 082013

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while at a stop, the fuel gauge, odometer and the temperature gauges began moving erratically. In addition, the instrument panel lights began flashing on and off as the vehicle stalled. The failure occurred sporadically and when the contact was driving at various speeds. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 83,000.

- Cincinnati , OH, USA

Jan 022013

Town & Country 6-cyl

On the interstate I-75 in Tennessee mountains at night, headlights went out while driving with family of 4. quickly attempted to turn on and off the headlight switch which turned the lights back on. My teenager had complained about problems turning the headlights on previously, which I had ignored, stating that she turned the light switch on but the headlamps did not go on but that the yellow side markers did turn on. Have experienced this problem repeatedly over the last few weeks. Chrysler dealer tom ahl in lima Ohio was informed of the issue but would not inspect or service the vehicle without charging an inspection fee, as no recall has been issued for this problem. I declined to pay this and asked them to enter the issue into their service database.

- Lima, OH, USA

Jun 012012

Town & Country

My 2005 Chrysler Town and country minivan gauges have been erratic while driving down the road. My radio turns on and off, my dash gauges are jumping all over the place, my engine light it on and the airbag light stays on. I have taken my car to the dealer several times and they say there is nothing wrong. I even took a video of what it was doing, because they dealer never wants to fix it. They still say it is fine. Now it is stalling out while driving down the road. I am driving this vehicle with my 2 children and the dealer says it is fine!!! when I get in an accident because they say my car is fine, Chrysler is gong to have a major problem.

- Kerrville, TX, USA

May 142012

Town & Country 6-cyl

Headlights will not turn on. Repeated turning off & on of headlight switch (5 to 10 itmes) eventually works. However, using the turn signal lever on the column to hold the brights on does result in brights only - if you hold the lever continuously. NHTSA EA11010 from September of 2011 says defect is being investigated. How much time is needed for a diagnosis?

- Hope, ID, USA

Jul 012005

Town & Country 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Chrysler Town & Country limited minivan, bought new in October 2004. I have had the same electrical issues (headlights brighten and dim, inside lights brighten and dime, radio station changes unexpectedly) since the first 6 months to 1 yr I had the car. (funny, family and friends have all noticed the problem while we are driving without me pointing it out!)! I allowed my dealer too correct the problems each time. They assured me that they were doing all they could, but have had a terrible time duplicating the issues. My car has been in the shop too many times to count, up to 3 weeks+ at a time. I am always given a loaner and the dealer service is great, but I would just like a car that works. I have 3 boys ages 13,10 & 8. my 10 & 8 yr are severely autistic. Buying a new car is just not an option. The lemon laws don't apply because of the age of the car, even though the problems have started within the first year. Chrysler corporate has been no help (the area rep inferred that I was a liar). They "graciously" offered me another year on my 7yr/70,000 mile warranty. When I used service under this new warranty the deductible rose by $50. The dealership owner nor myself had any idea that there would be an increase. They just told us that coverage would extend another year beyond the original expiration date. My husband and I bought Chrysler for the name and because we thought they would stand behind their product. Boy were we duped. We spent over $32,000 for a car that we would drive for many years. Here we are 7 years and 65,000 miles later and my car is in the shop almost monthly! please help, all I want is a car that I can drive with confidence. At this point all the electrical has been replaced and we still have issues! thanks for listening,

- Broomall, PA, USA