CarComplaints.com Notes: What the heck happened here? A year after getting our "seal of pretty good" for the 2004, Chrysler turns around and delivers this crapwagon.

This minivan has problems ranging from rack and pinion steering failure to door locks that won't let you out. And trust me, you'll want to get out.

2005 Chrysler Town & Country electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Town & Country:

2005 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

Mar 212003

Town & Country

I have a 2005 Chrysler Town and country it started with my locks stopping working I disconnected it and than it worked for a couple of weeks than it would go out again. Now my ABS and traction control light came on and quit working for a week now the light went out and works I tried the battery thing again but did not work. I'm afraid the computer may stop working when diving. I only have 48,000 miles on it.

- Ramsey, MN, USA

Feb 102010

Town & Country 6-cyl

Headlights and console lights on my 2005 T&C go out while driving. They come back on within a second or two. I had the switch checked and was found to be working ok.

- Keysville, VA, USA

Jan 252010

Town & Country

Air-bag fault light came on while driving down the road. Dealer says that both front impact sensors need to be replaced due to corrosion, to the tune of $300! it doesn't seem reasonable that after 5 years and 62,000 a required safety device this important should have to be replaced at my expense due to corrosion.

- Waukesha, WI, USA

Jan 232010

Town & Country

Two years ago, February 2008, I had the body control module on my 2005 Chrysler Town & Country replaced. The van was a little over three years old and out of warranty. The repair cost $658. It was replaced with a dealer part at a Chrysler dealership. This past Saturday it started with the same symptoms as in 2008. It won't start, the doors will not unlock, and it drains the battery. I just want to know if other van owners have the same problems.

- Harvey, LA, USA

Jan 022010

Town & Country

Headlamps go off intermittently. Movement of headlamp switch will turn them back on, but, interior lights are dead when opening door and overhead computer is dead when lights are on. Dangerous situation for the headlamps as it could cause a wreck. Reading online blogs this seems to be a bad problem with the 2005 model year Chrysler Town and country's and Dodge Caravan's. does someone have to get killed first to warrant an NHTSA investigation? I did a search on investigations for my vehicle year and type and only found the air bag investigations. This is a very common issue with not only my year but other years of Chrysler mini-vans. It needs attention!

- Andover, KS, USA

Nov 052009

Town & Country

2005 Chrysler Town and country bad battery, power locks quit working removed the iod fuse and plugged it back in.

- Gratis, OH, USA

Mar 012005

Town & Country

Bought my car March 1st 2005. Took it back on March 11th 2005 because the remote start for the car would start the car for two seconds then cut off, then start again for two seconds, then cut again, ect. The car dealer shop repaired the problem that day. After I took the car home, the remote stopped working after two days. I took the car back to the car dealer. They said they replaced a part again. Well, I didn't try using the remote again until February of 2007. When I tried to use it then, it just would not work at all. I did not take it back to the car dealer until August of 2008 to see if they would repair or replace it again. The car dealer told me this would be the last time they would repair this remote problem on this car because the warrant had ran out. Since then the remote start on my 2005 Chrysler/Town & Country/touring has stopped working again.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Oct 192008

Town & Country

3 times - the power side doors, power door locks, and power windows will quit working. As noted above, we remove a fuse, leave it out for 10 minutes, replace, and everything works again. This seems to happen every 4-6 months. There are numerous listings of this same problem on the internet. Thanks to blogs, I found the repair for the problem.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jun 012008

Town & Country

On 2005 Chrysler Town and country, power door locks completely stop working. Pulling the iod fuse fixes the problem for a couple weeks, then they stop working again. Dealer wants $100 to upgrade software. Internet search shows this is a very common problem after 45,000 miles.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Aug 292008

Town & Country

2005 Chrysler Town and country. Door locks, auto seat adjustment, dvd player and turn signals all stop working, or working intermittently. The work around is to remove and replace iod 20 amp fuse, resetting the BCM computer.

- Cottonwood, AZ, USA

Aug 122007

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Town and country. The contact started the ignition and the air bag warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The light remained illuminated until the engine was turned off. Recently, the vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and they stated that the failure was related to an electrical malfunction in the air bag sensor. The technician advised that the sensor be replaced due to the risk of the air bags not deploying during a front end crash. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 38,000 and current mileage was 67,200.

- Gross Point Farms , MI, USA

Aug 182008

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the automatic side door would not open or close automatically. The door had to be opened manually. She took the vehicle to a local repair shop to have it repaired and the contact was informed that there was a failed wire between the switch and the motor. The dealer stated that the repair would cost between $300-$600. The failure mileage was 55,400.

- Poca, WV, USA

Mar 292008

Town & Country 6-cyl

Hit in right front fender in parking lot-caused battery on the left side of engine area to pop lose causing electric fire which ignited vapor recovery canister under cabin area-causing carpet under drivers feet to burn.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 012007

Town & Country 6-cyl

It started actually quite some time ago. It seemed that every once in a while I would lose my power steering. Once it almost caused me to run off the road and into a cement curb. Luckily, I was able to work the wheel around and after about five minutes of trying to control the van, the power steering came back. There has been a noise at the front of the vehicle for quite some time and then I noticed the van was leaking something. I took it to the dealer and they said there was a leak in the steering gear assembly and that it needed to be replaced. They also said that they are replacing so many of them that the part was backordered and they were unsure when they would get one. That was in Nov. 2007. It is now April 2008 and I am still waiting. In Feb of 2008 I was told they had one for me and I took my van in and then was told that it never arrived and that they told their parts dealer that they needed it immediately because the power steering fluid is leaking onto other parts and can cause problems. It's still been two months since then and nothing. The whole front of my van feels and sounds like its going to fall off at any moment. I have had to refill my power steering fluid every 2-3 days since Nov 07 and it isn't getting any better. Unfortunately, this is not the only problem I have had with this van. The right cv joint had to be replaced after only 2 years, the air bag sensors went bad and only after I paid to have it checked out to the tune of $70 were they recalled, there was a recall on the rear heating/cooling tubes because of cold weather conditions, the driver side sliding door no longer works as well as the front passenger window. During a terrible rain storm, I had to go through a large puddle and the spare tire was ripped from the undercarriage because it was never sealed properly and the part was defective. Both sets of brakes have had to be replaced, rotors redone and the tires have been replaced twice.

- Dickson City, PA, USA

Nov 012007

Town & Country 6-cyl

Electrical problems. One problem after another, car runs rough/stalls after 3 months old. New spark plug wires installed. Power windows stop working, relay replaced. Battery died, alternator replaced. Power windows stop working, another relay. Lift gate stops working, fixed (electrical problem). A/C fan doesn't work, rheostat replaced. Car runs rough, spark plug wires replaced. Door locks stop working, still not, unknown problem.

- New Braunfels, TX, USA

Jan 022008

Town & Country 6-cyl

The two little places to press to sound the horn are absurd. How can a person blow the horn quickly which is when an emergency takes place is required. Am I supposed to turn the steering wheel straight and then look for the horn icons. Lets put back the standard horn ring or push button center activated.

- Brockport, NY, USA

Oct 072006

Town & Country

2005 Chrysler Town and country, has been having problems for several months. It was taken initially because the cigarette lighter was smoking and from there fuses were blown. The second issues was the lights constantly flicker on and off, the radio goes in and out along with the headlights and the internal lights while driving. First I was told it was the battery so I go and buy a battery, that didn't work. Since then they have change the PCM and the alternator. I have taken the car to four different dealerships in four different cities approximately six or seven different times and my vehicle is currently at one of those dealerships because on Thursday September 27, 2007 the van just turns completely off while in motion in morning traffic, the dash goes completely black and everything is quiet. The van kicks it back on and I press on the gas. What a terrifying experience. I purchased the van used in March of 06 and since then I have had 3 recalls and the van has been at the dealers more than I have driven it. I am not a satisfied customer; I am terrified to drive this vehicle. I have children and we call the car christine because it is posed the dealers can never get the vehicle to duplicate the problem. What is going on? Chrysler has been contacted and they offer hardly any help at all.

- Portsmouth, VA, USA

Dec 012006

Town & Country 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Town and country. The sliding door had a sensor that prevented it from closing when something was blocking the door. The contact stated that the door no longer retracts when something is obstructing the doorway. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. She has a video of the failure. The VIN and engine size were unknown. The failure mileage was 18,000 and current mileage was 25,000.

- Newport News , VA, USA

Jun 152007

Town & Country 6-cyl

On 14 June 2007 during the evening my wife informed me of a sound from the van when the A/C was on, so she turned it off. On the morning of 15 June 2007 I checked the van's A/C. I turned on the van?S and the A/C was off and the van was working ok. I turned on the A/C to identify what my wife was talking about short time late a large amount of smoke was entering the van passenger area and coming out from under the hood of the van. I turned off the A/C and van right away. My van and garage was full of smoke and the smell was of electrical wires and insulation burying. Consequences passable if my wife was driving and this happen I can only think that she or other will/would have been severely hurt with fire in a moving car and the cabin full of smoke. Van is 2005 Chrysler Town and country 40,000 miles. I called Chrysler about this issue and Chrysler is investigating. Dealer is repairing today.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jun 022007

Town & Country 6-cyl

The 2005 Chrysler Town & Country was parked inside the garage at my residence when the interior of the vehicle caught on fire from a short in the electrical system, probably the heated seats. We were in the back of the house/garage when the horn began to sound and the van's panic alarm went off. We could see smoke coming from the eaves of the garage roof. My husband was able to open the "man door" of the garage (the electronic garage door opener would not function) and observed heavy grayish smoke coming from the vehicle with the help of a neighbor and our 13 year old son he sprayed the vehicle with water from 2 garden hoses. The windows of the vehicle shattered and the interior of the van was glowing orange. 911 was called and the local fire department responded. Once the area was secured the fire department assessed the damage (which was contained to the vehicle). They were of the opinion that the fire was caused by a short circuit in the driver's seat heating element. The only thing left of the drivers seat was the metal frame; the steering column was gone and wiring harnesses were hanging down into the passenger compartment from the roof of the vehicle. The van is a total loss. Our insurance adjuster stated that this was the second chryler Town & Country he had seen in this condition. Property damage (other than the vehicle) was limited to the garage interior thanks to my husband's and neighbor's quick response. We did not lose our garage or home...others may not be that lucky!

- North Canton, OH, USA