CarComplaints.com Notes: What the heck happened here? A year after getting our "seal of pretty good" for the 2004, Chrysler turns around and delivers this crapwagon.

This minivan has problems ranging from rack and pinion steering failure to door locks that won't let you out. And trust me, you'll want to get out.

2005 Chrysler Town & Country steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Town & Country:

2005 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Nov 242008

Town & Country

Water pump broke, rack & pinion broke, thermostat.

- Perth Amboy , NJ, USA

Nov 152008

Town & Country

Our 2005 Chrysler T&C began making a strange noise when turning. We then began to notice power steering fluid under the van. We took the vehicle back to dealer 3 times to have the problem fixed while under warranty. The problem stopped for a few months, but the problem begins again each year when the weather gets cold. It's that time of the year again and the van is no longer under warranty. It's making that awful sound again and leaking like crazy. I looked on line to see how to replace the ¿hose¿ the dealer supposedly replaced each time we took it in and I was surprised at the sheer number of people who were having the same problem with their vans. I really began to be concerned when I read that there were van engines that actually caught fire from the power steering fluid leak. This seems to be a serious problem with this vehicle that needs to be addressed before something more disastrous occurs.

- Enid, OK, USA

Nov 212008

Town & Country

Chrysler Town & Country 2005 steering developed a noise and our mechanic identified the steering reservoir was required to be replaced under a manufacturer service bulletin. This was completed and about two months later, the rack and pinion was diagnosed to have a failed seal. The vehicle has 67K miles on it, which are family commuter miles. The reservoir cost over $200 and the rack is going to cost about $900. This is a manufacturer product deficiency and should be covered under a recall. As others have posted, the manufacturer should cover this failure.

- Oregon, WI, USA

Jun 052008

Town & Country

My vehicle began making a slight whirring or grinding noise in June 2008. I noticed that it felt like the car was pulling to one side and it seemed difficult to steer. I took it into the dealership thinking it might have something to do with just having our tires balanced. They said the rack and pinion steering needed to be replaced. At that time we had about 40,000 miles on the car, and feel that is way too early for such a replacement. This 2005 Chrysler Town and country has had nothing but problems! (right sliding door, seat belt, gas gauge, air bag sensor, electrical problems.)

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Nov 112008

Town & Country

A groaning noise was coming from the steering. Examined by the dealership - courtesy Dodge - and I'm told it is the power steering rack. Reviewing complaints on the web I find that this is a common problem with Chrysler Town & Country mini-vans and that Chrysler fights people on covering this common issue.

- Grandville, MI, USA

Nov 052008

Town & Country

Vehicle steering rack and pinion bad. I bought this vehicle new/used. The first time I drove it home it started to "whine" when braking and turning the wheel. The steering gets very hard at times, also now makes "popping" noises and feels like the wheels are coming off. My mechanic said has a bad rack and pinion. There are numerous amounts of claims on this vehicle for the very same problem, but still no recall. I feel for my safety and I can't afford to have this repaired. Chrysler still hasn't issued a recall for this matter. My mechanic said it is definitely a safety issue. See website townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.F172B27/26 for the 50 or so complaints for the same thing. My vehicle has 42,000 miles on it and it is out of warranty. When it was in warranty they told me there wasn't a problem. Help!!!!

- Margate, FL, USA

Jul 012008

Town & Country

2005 Chrysler Town and country, turn on the van there is an immediate whine. While turning corners and going at slower speeds vehicle will whine and grind. Has continually gotten louder over the last 3 months. Replaced power steering pump after consulting repairman and did not fix problem. Now we are leaking power steering fluid and whine and grind is even louder. Have read many forums about power steering racks going out, that is our next try, to fix whining problem.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Aug 012008

Town & Country

2005 Chrysler Town & Country purchased new. Grinding sound from the front end starting at 17,000 miles. Numerous parts replaced under warranty. Steering rack leaking/failing with only 56,000 miles. Local dealership denies any knowledge of steering rack and pinion problems. Steering problems are potentially very dangerous. I feel that there should be a recall on this vehicle.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jun 072008

Town & Country

Brought vehicle in for routine maintenance and was told that I needed the steering rack replaced. Purchased the vehicle a little over a year ago with a 1yr unlimited miles extended warranty due to the fact that it was returned under the lemon law for a different matter. Considering that vans are more of a family orientated vehicle I find it odd that there hasn't been some type of recall on this. Have been to several different internet forum discussions and it is just amazing how many people are having this same problem. The vehicle had roughly 46,000 mi. At time of discovery. There weren't any noises or anything out of the ordinary that would have suggested that there was something amiss. Not sure how long driving like that, which worries me with children.

- Forestville, WI, USA

Jun 032008

Town & Country 6-cyl

Failed steering rack on Chrysler van at 43,000 miles. Pa vehicle inspection issue required to be repaired. Rack leaking oil which drips onto hot exhaust system pipe. Van becomes difficult to steer at times. Chrysler corporation refused assistance although dealer service representative stated huge problem exists with many backordered steering rack systems for these vans and is considered a manufacturing design and quality issue. Chrysler, however, leaves the financial fix to come from its customer without assistance. No safety recall which is incredible!

- West Chester, PA, USA

Dec 182007

Town & Country 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Town and country. In December of 2007, the contact heard a clicking noise while turning the vehicle at 35 mph. She took the vehicle to the dealer, but they did not make any repairs. She returned to the dealer in January of 2008, but the dealer still could not find any failure. Most recently, the dealer stated that the power steering rack was leaking. The dealer recommended that she replace the power steering gear at the cost of approximately $800. The current mileage is 62,020 and failure mileage was approximately 55,000. Updated 06/16/08

- Delmar, NY, USA

May 262008

Town & Country 6-cyl

I notice some oil leaks on my drive way.so I took my car in too have it look at and was told I need a new power steering rack replace. It S going to cost me $1000 to get it fix. I have read many complaints about this problem this issue should be a recall. I also read that Chrysler has redesign the rack and pin for this model. Why are they doing this unless it is a problem that they are trying to cover it up. I am really disappointed in Chrysler I now am rethinking if Chrysler was a good choice for me and my family.

- Fort Stewart, GA, USA

Jan 152008

Town & Country

I have a 2005 Chrysler town county LX. I have been having this problem since I got the car as always there is nothing wrong they say, but had to replace rack and pinion and now I am back to the same thing again I feel that this is a problem with all 2005 town county from what I have heard. I have gone through three front end alignments a set of tires and I get the same old story blah blah, something needs to be done please help all of us on this issue.

- Norwalk, CT, USA

Mar 062008

Town & Country 6-cyl

Began hearing "whirring" noise upon cold start. Upon taking to my regular mechanic - was told that there was a leak in the power steering rack and it would have to be replaced. However the part had to be back-ordered and did not get it replaced until 4/28/08 at a cost of $1,200!

- Elkridge, MD, USA

May 052008

Town & Country 6-cyl

We have a 2005 Town and country Chrysler mini-van with a rack and pinion leak, oil pan gasket leak, and front timing cover seals leak. All issues that have come up in numerous other vehicles of the same make and year. There should be a recall.

- Jackson, MI, USA

Apr 302008

Town & Country 6-cyl

2005 Chrysler Town & Country van was serviced for scheduled lube, oil, oil filter and air filter replacement at a Chrysler dealership. A Chrysler service rep. Approached me in their waiting room to inform me that the oil, oil filter and air filter service has been completed but there are additional items that needed to be addressed. Additional services needed include: Tire rotation, wiper blades replaced, front brakes, sway bar links and power steering rack replacement. This vehicle was purchased new and has only driven 34,500 miles. The Chrysler service rep. Explained it all as best he could. The cold weather has caused the power steering rack failure to occur. The brakes are needed because the front brakes wear out first. No mention of the tire rotation, but; the sway bar links are noisy when driving the vehicle onto the lift in the service bay. The tires on this vehicle are Goodyear integrity all season tires rated for 50,000 miles of tread life. The rear tires (after rotation) are worn excessively and approaching an unsafe tread wear pattern. The front steering components are failing and are causing this wear. The tires have been rotated as recommended by Chrysler. The power steering rack is defective and the front brakes are insufficient. This vehicle drives 5 days a week on 45 - 65 mph. Paved roads.

- South Berwick, ME, USA

Apr 012008

Town & Country 6-cyl

Rack & pinion steering assembly failure. Seals in the assembly have failed and power steering fluid has leaked out. Was told by repair shop that it all the fluid drains out the steering system could freeze up causing an accident. The problem was only discovered during a state inspection, so was lucky that it was caught, before it was completely empty. I was told the whole assembly would need to be replaced. I have read that this is a major problem with this vehicle and has happened to thousands of these vehicles.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

Dec 032007

Town & Country 6-cyl

2005 Chrysler Town and country with multiple problems. Consumer states seat belt light does not illuminate when there are no seat belts on. Passenger air bag light says off when the wheel chair is in the front passenger position. The consumer stated the vehicle was modified to accommodate a wheelchair. The steering gear and egr valve were replaced. The consumer was concerned with Chrysler moving the fiberglass fuel tank behind the axle, instead of moving it to the front where it is less vulnerable. Updated 10/05/15.

- Galesburg, IL, USA

Jun 052005

Town & Country 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the steering wheel locked and an unfamiliar noise was heard while attempting to turn the steering wheel. There were no warning indicator lights. The vehicle was driven to a Chrysler dealer and liquid began pouring from the front end of the vehicle. The contact believes that the steering hose was replaced. Recently, the vehicle began to bounce and make a rattling noise. The vehicle was driven to a Chrysler dealer and the mechanic replaced the engine mount. The purchase date was unknown. The current mileage is 32,000 and failure mileage was 24,000.

- Portchester, NY, USA

Oct 272006

Town & Country 6-cyl

: the contact stated while driving various speeds, the steering wheel was hard to turn. This had happened on several occasions and twice the dealer had replaced the rack and pinion however, the problem persisted.

- Muskegon, MI, USA