2008 Chrysler Town & Country brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country:

2008 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Jul 222014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Drove car approx 100 feet, 1st thing in the morning. Used brakes at end of driveway, then started driving and all 4 brake related lights came on - ABS light, traction control light, brake light, esp bas light. All 4 lights remained on. They were not on when car intially started, but came on immediately after using the brakes for the 1st time. Always remained on until car was turned off. Took car to shop next day and the diagnostic showed the anti lock module was failing. Not overly safe to drive young kids around, so we went ahead with the repair. Chrysler informed the shop that they sell roughly 15 of these parts a week. Shop questioned why they were not recalled as that # is quite high. New module has been in for about a week and all seems fine. Updated 7/29/2015

- New Canaan, CT, USA

Jul 212014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Took vehicle in to my shop to service rear brakes, they were grinding. I expected to have to replace pads and rotors. We hadn't done it in the 40K miles we've owned it and didn't have it's service history prior to that. The mechanic found the rear brakes had been frozen closed for "a long time." Due to this, he said temps had gotten so hot back there that the brake hoses were extremely warped and the brake fluid had turned to sludge. I had to replace the hoses, calipers, pads, and rotors and flush the brake system fluid. I'm worried had this continued we would have been in a situation where we couldn't stop or we could have had a fire.

- St. Peters, MO, USA

Jun 302009

Town & Country 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while driving 15 mph, the brakes made an abnormal noise whenever they were applied in an attempt to stop the vehicle. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and an independent mechanic. The mechanic performed diagnostic testing and stated that the brake pads and rotors needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified about the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 21,000....updated 09-05-14 updated 11/5/15

- Burleson, TX, USA

Jun 272014

Town & Country 6-cyl

While driving the van stopped working, instrument panel lit up, ac and radio turned off, steering locked and brakes did not work. Contacted local dealership they were unable to diagnose after 2 days. Took it home and same thing happened on 7/11/14. Brought to non-dealership mechanic who is looking into steering column/electrical problem but still nothing after 3 days. I have an extended warranty on vehicle so plan to submit expenses to Chrysler.

- Farmingville, NY, USA

Jun 162014

Town & Country 6-cyl

While driving back from work my vehicle turned off completely. It was rolling and I was unable to brake or turn the steering wheel. There was no power steering, no brakes, all the controls and lights were off. I was in the middle of the busy 4 lane street. I put my hazard lights on and moved over to the outside lane and ultimately was able to turn into the parking lot. I sat there for a while stunned by what happened. After a few minutes I tried to start the van. It did start and I was able to continue on my way home. Exactly the same situation occurred today, July 14, 2014. We also have been having issues with starting the van. After turning the key the van starts up and a few seconds later goes dead.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Jun 112014

Town & Country 6-cyl

I was driving about 30 miles an hour when my van shut off by itself. I had to pull over to the side with no power steering or power breaks, shift into park and restart my van. After the restart it again shutdown on its own at the next stop sign. I restarted and have not his this particular problem happen again. I have also had random problems with the air conditioning / heater fans randomly shutting off. To remedy the problem the with fans I have to shut off the van completely and restart and then the fans start working again.

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

Aug 192013

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the vehicle accelerated and the entire instrument panel warning lights illuminated. The contact mentioned that the power steering failed and was unable to apply the brakes. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the win module and ignition switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 78,029 and the current mileage was 86,000.

- Broomall, PA, USA

May 262014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the brake pedal had to be applied with extreme pressure to bring the vehicle to a stop. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated that the brakes needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,303.

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Apr 252014

Town & Country 6-cyl

I used my remote key button to start my vehicle, when I opened the door to enter the vehicle I noticed that the windshield wipers came on by them selves, they operated as if they were on delay until I placed the ignition key into the slot and place it in the start position, I then backed up and headed to work, all the way into town my dash lights flickered off and on, the wipers operated all by themselves even though they were turned off, the key chime continually chimed, both of the front window and the side view mirror control buttons on the driver side control panel did not work, but the side door window buttons and the rear louver window buttons and the passenger door window control panel buttons worked, the headlights flashed off and on and the turn signal lights were intermittent when switched on, as I said before the driver side window buttons would not work, therefore I could not use hand signals and I almost got rear ended. Also when applying the brake pedal the brakes would chatter and the front end of the vehicle shook so much it felt like the front end was going to come off. So I shut off the vehicle and started it normally with the key in the ignition, it still went crazy, the same thing was happening as described earlier, I later looked online and one forum answer said to disconnect the battery to try and do a reset, I disconnected the battery completely and then after 5 minutes I hooked the battery back up and started the vehicle, no change it was still doing the same thing and continues to do it every time I start the vehicle.I cannot afford another vehicle payment, so I continue to drive it this way! I have seen this problem mentioned all over the internet posted on many Chrysler and Dodge product forums! it seems to be that there are not any recalls or tsr's relating to this problem but there certainly should be!!!!

- Pleasant Plains, IL, USA

Apr 252014

Town & Country 6-cyl

While driving down a main road, the car suddenly shut down. Nothing worked. I could not brake or steer as power steering went. The only thing that stayed on was the radio. Car slowly coasted and eventually stopped. My 2 young children were in the car, I have already told dealer about this and they said they could find nothing wrong but that it sounds like a key roll back issue. They told me if it happens while driving again I should turn key as it may have moved from on position to acc position due to a bump in the road. Turning the key did nothing. After the car stopped I attempted to restart car and everything worked except the malfunction indicator light stayed on. This is a serious issue and Chrysler service department did not seem to care when I called! then I begin researching and find that they recalled 2009 vehicles of the same make for the same problem!

- Olmsted Township , OH, USA

Apr 042014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Our van makes a grinding or rubbing noise coming from the front end/axles. It is especially noticeable when we are turning. It sounds like a fluttering/grinding of metal or some part that is revolving with the wheels as we drive. We had the brake rotors replaced and pads replaced. That helped with the shimmy we felt while braking, but the rubbing/grinding sounds persist. We are being told it might be wheel bearings. Others have reported similar problem to NHTSA for this model/year T&C mini van. There is a service notification K19 for this exact problem on some 2008 models. I think our van VIN# should be added to that list of "some 2008 models."

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Apr 052014

Town & Country

I noticed at approximately 48,000 miles that my 2008 Town & Country was burning oil during use with no visible oil leaks after taking the vehicle in for an oil change. The mechanic stated that the vehicle was 3 quarts of oil low when checked before draining the oil. I have been checking the oil once per month since. The vehicle now has about 73,000 miles on it and is burning approximately 1 quart of oil each 1500 miles driven. I have never owned a vehicle with this problem and have read other complaints on this site of this same issue. I am lucky that I caught the issue before serious engine damage and repairs were required like some of the other respondents. This issue should be considered for recall or extended coverage in the event that serious issues occur. Other issues I have experienced during my ownership of this vehicle I purchased new are the premature failure of the front hubs and premature wear of the brake components. The front hubs have failed on each side 3 times already in the 73,000 miles and now the drivers side hub is making a loud noise again signaling that it will need to be replaced soon. I have never had this issue with any vehicle that I have owned. To have it happen for the 4th time prior to 100,000 miles would seem to be a defect. The brake components seem to wear out every 15,000 miles and the rotors require replacement each time the pads wear out. This seems to be a quality issue with the parts both new and replacement.

- Grosse Pointe Farms, MI, USA

Mar 152014

Town & Country

While driving in residential area, van would completely shut off (stall) without notice. Radio/dvd would continue. Major problem with the shut off is that there is no power steering and the brakes ould not work! it's happened multiple times. The next day the engine light came on. Took to the dealership and the only code was egr valve code. Technician did not connect it to the engine failure. After discussing with chryler, they felt that the egr valve does contribute to the engine failure at low speed.

- Elida, OH, USA

Aug 302012

Town & Country 6-cyl

I was driving down the highway at 55 and the rear 3rd light brake assembly broke off and crashed on the road.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Feb 052014

Town & Country

The automatic brake system takes over while driving (not braking) in one tire? this has happened at least three times causing me to go into on-coming traffic once and onto a lawn of a business. There is no ice on the road, I'm not braking, no snow. This is going to kill somebody; if it already hasn't. my personal mechanic says to remove all brakes & brake parts, replace the ABS system and other items will be over $5000 im still paying on the bloody vehicle, I cant afford to drive it ( kill myself, family and somebody else ) and I cant afford to fix it. 2008 T & C

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Jun 012010

Town & Country 6-cyl

Incident #1: rear wheel noisy, sounded like a bad wheel bearing on the passenger side. Took it to a Chrysler 5 star dealer, they said the brake was stuck, needed 2 new rear calipers, pads, rotors, $750. Van had about 30K miles. Incident #2: rear wheel noisy, sounded like a bad wheel bearing. Checked the brakes myself, drivers side brake is stuck. Rotor is worn down, pads worn down to nothing. Fitted new pads, rotors. Van had about 50K miles. Incident #3: rear wheel noisy, sounded like a bad wheel bearing. Drivers side rear brake stuck on, wheel was nuclear hot. Probably needs new pads and rotors again! van has about 70K miles. The dealer stiffed me for expensive new calipers that weren't necessary. This is a pad/frame design problem. The pads stick in the frame and don't retract from the rotor. This is a common problem, although of course the dealer will deny it and upsell you new calipers. New vans have redesigned brakes. This van needs expensive new rear brakes every 20-30K miles due to a dangerous design error. The rear brakes can quickly wear out or get stuck on.

- Bolton, CT, USA

Dec 302013

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the ABS system engaged independently. The contact shut off, restarted the vehicle and it operated normally. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic for diagnostic testing. The mechanic stated that the ABS system had failed. The mechanic replaced a serious of unknown sensors but the repair did not remedy the defect. The mechanic advised the contact to take the vehicle to a dealer for a system download. The contact did not take the vehicle to the dealer. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Potosi, MO, USA

Dec 012011

Town & Country

The first problem we noticed with the van was the brakes. They wear out way to quickly. In the 5 years we have had the van we have replaced the brakes 6 times and rotors 2 times. The next problem was what seems to be a well documented leak of the coolant on to the engine causing smelly smoke. We were forced to by the part from the dealer as it was not available anywhere else and paid over $100 for it. Thankfully my husband was able to replace it. Now at 80000 miles the key and ignition has been having issues. It started with not being able to remove the key fob. The engine will cut off but it will only go into accessory. If left overnight or for sometime it will kill the battery. It started occasionally and has progressed to almost every time you cut the engine off you cannot remove the key fob. It will release but it is after sometime sitting in park. It is very frustrating having to leave your key in the ignition and be forced to leave it sitting in a random parking lot and just hope that when you return the battery is not dead. I have researched this issue and it is very common among this van and other Chrysler vehicles. At this point I am so fed up with it if someone decided to steal it because they saw the key in it I would just wish them good luck. I will never own another Chrysler ! seems like there has to be a fire injury or fatality for them to do anything to satisfy all the unhappy customers they have.

- Bluff City, TN, USA

Jun 072010

Town & Country

At approx 30,000 miles, I rotated the tires, the front/rear brakes were shot. I replaced everything. I later learned about the recall. Brewbaker Chrysler told me "too bad, I guess you learned a lesson" when I brought them my receipts for the brake parts. Around the same time, I was replacing the wiper blades when I notice the driverside front strut tower was severely rusted. Water is trapped in the "cup" of the strut tower and had eaten quite a bit. Shortly thereafter, I traded the vehicle. I had issues with the sliding rear doors(reopening with nothing in the way and closing too hard, ie safety feature inop), the automatic back door(broken linkage), the "Y" cooling hose broke/split, using a quart of oil every 1,000 miles and locking with the keys inside. Upon trade-in, the van had approx 58,000 miles. I will never buy another Chrysler product again! I've never had one vehicle with so many problems in such a short time. My current vehicle, 02 Chevy S10 4.3L V6 (owned since new, .2 miles) has 119,000+ miles and the only problem I've had was a bad tps, at around 100,000 miles. Chrysler needs to step up their game and fix there vehicles.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Oct 172013

Town & Country 6-cyl

Heard loud howling noise right rear, psi up to 39, wheel overheated. Went to dealer, right rear brake caliper seized. I was told had to replace both left and right sides?!! cost me $742.90.

- North Hampton, NH, USA