2008 Chrysler Town & Country drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country:

2008 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 162014

Town & Country 6-cyl

It started off horn blowing wipers going off and washer fluid squirting in the driveway no one in it. Then started doing that while driving at different speeds from standing still to 65 mph. Also has like lost transmission, it would shutter like losing power, then be ok. It has shuttered at red lights horn going wipers going water spurting and stall out. I had a fairly new battery and it drained it and tested bad. The a.C. goes off well the fan motor control does. My wife is afraid to drive the vehicle. It possessed. That's what we call it. I can for see this could cause a serious accident. My teenage daughter drives it to some times and not being a experienced driver like an adult im afraid to let her drive it.thank for litening. Im reading on line this is happening to a lot of other people.

- St Cloud, FL, USA

Aug 042014

Town & Country

Chrysler Town and country 2008 van has been an issue for some time now. The van has been at the dealership(s) well over 10+ times regarding the same exact problems. I have video of the problem also. Chrysler's tech engineers at Chrysler corporate have been involved to also having a Chrysler corporate engineer look at the van at one of the dealerships in person. The van has been at dealership for over 2 months trying to fix the problem and another dealership now has had it for over a month (still at dealership now) with similar and same problems we have had with the van for years. The dealership now cannot figure out what's going on, Chrysler tech engineers corporate are involved again and they still have not figured out what is going on. Issues with T&C van; (1) at times the van won't turn over at all. (2) van will turn over but won't go into gear. (3) van makes clicking noise when trying to start, won't turn over. (4) van was stuck in 2nd gear, drove 12 miles home would not change out of gear (video of this) (5) dealership states that they can't see any prompts or error codes when hooked up to tester at dealership. (6) gear stuck if you giggle the gear shift at times the van will go into gear. (7) if you can force the gear shift manually to "N" roll forward or back the car might start. (8) sliding doors have been in multiple times with not opening or close electrically.

- Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Jan 112010

Town & Country 6-cyl

Since I have purchased my 2008 Town & Country I have had the same repetitive problems. Sliding doors not working properly, radio doesn't shut off when key is out of ignition, van turns off while driving, brakes and rotors replaced three times, and most of all car not starting! when the key is in ignition I turn to start and it makes a clicking sound but doesn't turn on. I would have to wait several minutes to half hour continuously trying until car starts. I have video taped each incident for the last 3 years showed to dealership and they still insist nothing is wrong with vehicle. I have alerted Chrysler corporate and filed a complaint July 2014.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Apr 122014

Town & Country 6-cyl

I have a 2008 town &country touring minivan for 3 yrs but now at every oil change the mechanic tells me that the car burning oil and it stalling and at high speed it gets little scary. It need a recall the motor should not be burning oil every 3000 miles and I always change my oil at 2900 and cleaning the motor gets expensive every oil change for me goes for over $150 because the motor burning oil have this check before something happens.

- Richmond Hill, NY, USA

Apr 042014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Our van makes a grinding or rubbing noise coming from the front end/axles. It is especially noticeable when we are turning. It sounds like a fluttering/grinding of metal or some part that is revolving with the wheels as we drive. We had the brake rotors replaced and pads replaced. That helped with the shimmy we felt while braking, but the rubbing/grinding sounds persist. We are being told it might be wheel bearings. Others have reported similar problem to NHTSA for this model/year T&C mini van. There is a service notification K19 for this exact problem on some 2008 models. I think our van VIN# should be added to that list of "some 2008 models."

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA

May 282010

Town & Country

It started by engine cutting off while running down the road 20 - 50 mph we shift to neutral and restart it. This has been happening ever since we purchased it from the dealership in myrtle beach. They worked on it and said it something about the valves were dirty and charges us $300. And it continued cutting off on us on the way back home. This happens every time we drive it. We took it to the dealership in conway, SC and they could find nothing wrong. I left there, drive away on the busy highway and it cuts off a number of times. I have complained to both dealerships a number of times and they do not know what to do. I have taken it to a local mechanic and he is also puzzled. We have replaced the fuel pump, water pump and timing belt, battery. Yesterday, November 30th we came from long ave. To 701 approximately 3-5 miles and it cut off 5 times while doing approximately 45 - 50 mph. We turned onto 701 and it cut off 3 times in less than a mile. The last time it cut off we making a left turn, luckily the light was green (busy intersection - 4 way traffic/shopping center. We got through the intersection and pulled off road because it would not start. When we turned the ignition on it would just click one time. After about 10 minutes it started and we went the last half mile home with the vehicle jumping and skipping all the way. We are afraid to leave home on it for fear of an accident or getting stranded. We feel this is a factory problem and should not be a burden on us. Since 1995 we have purchased 10 Chrysler products and this is the worse.what do you plan to do about this problem.

- Conway, SC, USA

Jun 292013

Town & Country 6-cyl

Faulty transmission. Constantly hard shifts everywhere. Feels like the transmission is going to fall out of the vehicle every time you shift from reverse to drive, or drive to park, or park to reverse. This is the second transmission on this vehicle.. I had the powertrain checked and the vehicle came out with no problems. Im afraid that I will be in an accident the vehicle shakes and stops abruptly while driving.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 172009

Town & Country 6-cyl

Faulty transmission. Constantly hard shifts everywhere. Feels like the transmission is going to fall out of the vehicle every time you shift from reverse to drive, or drive to park, or park to reverse. This is the second transmission on this vehicle. There are only 65000 miles on the vehicle overall. 45000 on this particular transmission. I called Chrysler and all they tell me is that it's out of warranty. It's obviously their inadequate parts and it's just a matter of time before the transmission fails on the freeway and someone gets injured. How many accidents need to happen before Chrysler steps up and puts a good transmission on their vehicles?

- Santee, CA, USA

Jan 012013

Town & Country 6-cyl

Engine stops completely when vehicle hits even minor bumps while being driven.

- Lacombe, LA, USA

Sep 192012

Town & Country 6-cyl

We have two issues. First: During an abrupt stop recently, the brake pedal mashed to the floor. The vehicle didn't want to stop. I thought it was the ABS kicking in, but they are designed to stop the vehicle and keep you from sliding the wheels. This just doesn't seem right and its not the first time we noticed something out of the ordinary. Our van was made for traveling, but when loaded down (not overloaded either) the brakes start to act up. For instance when you start to slow down the vehicle front end will start to shake. I have newer brakes on the front, new tires (2-weeks old) and brand new rotors (less than 2 months old) on the vehicle so I know nothing is out of balance. I simply don't trust my van and am seriously worried that there is a defect. I have a tow hitch on my vehicle, but am afraid to pull my motorcycle on it because of the brakes acting up. I can only imagine what would happen if I had my trailer hitched. No warning lights are on, but we've noticed that during a quick turn the warning bell dings and a light comes on then goes off immediately. Second: The powertrain doesn't' shift smoothly. I mentioned this to the dealer's maintenance shop, but the guy told me they wouldn't do anything (warranty wise) unless there was catastrophic failure with the powertrain system. I have a 100K mile powertrain warranty, and feel the dealer is skirting the issue to keep from paying for covered problems.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Sep 122012

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler town country. The contact stated that while traveling 40 mph, the windshield wipers activated independently as the control panel illuminated. The vehicle decelerated and the smell of smoke was emitted inside of the vehicle. The fuel gauge then erroneously dropped to a reading of zero. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who confirmed that the integrated control modulator failed and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 44,000.

- Caledonia, NY, USA

Sep 012012

Town & Country 6-cyl

Yes I having and issue with my wife's 2008 Chrysler Town and country minivan, about a week ago the ignition module where the key fob sits while driving, has been shifting to the off position on its own while the vehicle is in motion, thus taking power away from the steering and braking system. It has created two incidents where my wife ran off the road dented the left sliding door and scratched the van up, and the other incident was when she was back up it shut down and she slammed into the park vehicle and dented the rear tail gate cause she was not able to bring it to a stop, no damage to other vehicle was made. So we had the vehicle towed to the nearest Chrysler dealership, and found out that several thousand of these vehicles are under recall, except my year/model they start the recall one year newer than my model which has the same type of ignition module, inwhich I am having the same exact safety issue as the newer model. I was informed by the dealership that to repair it back to whole, that is a new module, and 2 new keys are they old keys wont work that it will cost me $800... this is absurd, this is safety issue, and the recall needs to be widened to allow all models with these junk ignition modules to be replaced for the safety of the general public. I don't think I should have to pay for a serious safety issue as this, when my model of vehicle certainly should have been included, as it has the same problem. I have contacted Chrysler headquarters and filed a formal complaint, now I am waiting to see how they handle this.

- Saint Cloud, FL, USA

Sep 242011

Town & Country

While camping with the van off and the keys out of the vehicle. Horn started honking. Windshield wipers started going. Washer fluid started to spray. Hazards started to flash. Started and shut off the van to no avail of stopping all the commotion. Finally unhooked the battery to make it stop. Took it to the dealer 2 days later and they found nothing wrong. One week later while my wife was driving the van. All of the devices again turned on for no reason. She pulled over and shut off the vehicle. After 5 minutes it finally stopped. When she started driving it again and when she started to drive it would not shift out of 3 gear. She pulled over and shut it off. Started it up again and it worked fine. 3 days later my wife and kids took it and all the devices turned on again out in the parking lot with the van off and keys out of it. When she started the van it would only run for like 20 seconds and then quit running. Tried it numerous time to no avail. She wait 30 minutes while I was driving to pick them up. She started it again and it work fine. It still acts up about ever 2 to 3 days. Dealership says it cant fix the problem cause it cant find anything wrong and cant reproduce the problem.

- Monticello, MN, USA

Mar 142012

Town & Country 6-cyl

Within a mile after first start up of the day the car will die while driving when you let off the gas. The only dash light that comes on is the yellow stability control. Loss of power brakes and power steering occur with the dead engine. Have almost gone through red light as a result. Has been to the dealer 3 times with no resolution. Chrysler complaint has been contacted with no resolution.

- Maryville, TN, USA

Apr 292010

Town & Country

April 29 2010 car died while driving. All lights on dash lit up tach went to 6K and car seemed to be in neutral. When accelerator was pressed car bucked and shut off. This problem has persisted for 6 weeks. Ignition was replaced. Cam shaft sensor was replaced. Car failed again but differently. Wont shift out of 3rd? gear. Tach at 6K and speed at 45-50 max. Have been without my car paying for my own rental for >3weeks.

- Ayer, MA, USA

Feb 052010

Town & Country

Chrysler Town and country with 27,000 miles female daily driver...front wheel bearing failure. Dealer first claimed front bearing on one side of vehicle failed which led them to replacing bearings on both sides of vehicle. Dealer also first claimed brakes and rotors on one side of vehicle have failed then changed story to brakes on both sides of vehicle needing to be replaced.

- New Baltimore, MI, USA

Apr 282008

Town & Country

1. safety defect in the wireless ignition module (ignition) in 2008 Town & Country (touring model). Vehicle will run but most electrical components will not work, including turn signals, windows, remote mirrors, lights, horn seat, door locks, window locks, clock, ac radio and wipers. The result of the defect includes inability to safely operate the vehicle once in motion. Driver is not necessarily aware of the problem until they go to use the horn, lights, or turn signal. Chrysler denied the existence of the problem until I made them come to my home during an episode. 2. defective fuel pump. Vehicle idles extremely high and the entire vehicle vibrates violently. Chrysler replaced the fuel pump yet the safety defect continues. Chrysler denied rearing or feeling the vibration until a Chrysler factory rep was called to thomasville in response to a state of Georgia office of Consumer Affairs lemon law claim. Chrysler replace the pump yet the safety defect continues. 3. severe grinding/scraping noise coming from the rear tenter of the vehicle. To-date, Chrysler denies the noise and has not repaired the problem. I fee the issue os one of a possible fire hazard due to its proximity to the fuel system and unknown defect in the fuel pump.

- Thomasville, GA, USA