2008 Chrysler Town & Country engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country:

2008 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 6 of 8)

Jun 262014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the electrical components malfunctioned and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was diagnosed but not repaired. The diagnosis was unknown. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Rochester, NY, USA

May 282013

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 60mph, the vehicle stalled and all of the lights on the instrument panel illlminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Tampa , FL, USA

Oct 122013

Town & Country

My 2008 Chrysler Town & Country loses power when starting car but also when driving in normal roadway conditions. No other keys are on the key ring. I have had it at the dealer 3 times for loss of power issues. First time the wen module was replaced when car would lose power while driving and had trouble re-starting. Repair seemed to help for about two months but then car lost power but would restart once car came to a stop. First time at dealer was told car would not cooperate and they could not get the car to stop when they drove it and no error code. I specifically asked about the ignition and was told it was definitely not the ignition. Was told to bring it back if it happened again - it had happened everyday the previous week including 3 times in one day. Took the car back and was told they found the problem and repaired but lost power on way home. Will be trying a different dealer in the next couple days but car lost power again today. Fortunately, no accident yet but am extremely careful when driving and am limiting my driving to essential short trips. The car makes a click when loss of power and key is no longer in "on" position. Seems to me like the ignition. I told the dealer what it does.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

May 012014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact indicated that the defect had occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to diagnose the defect. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Maple Grove, MN, USA

Nov 142012

Town & Country 6-cyl

While driving down the road the road I hear a light click and the engine shuts down, and steering becomes locked and I have to put the car in park to restart the vehicle. When this continued to happen after I heard the click I would look down and the key has moved from the on position to the acc position. This has happened multiple times since 11-14-2012 and happened a lot during 2013, I finally called Chrysler in August of 2013 when the van shut down while driving and one time while sitting in line at the bank and that same day while making a left hand turn and almost got hit as lots of traffic during rush hour. I took the van to avondale Dodge and they finally replaced the fuel pump as they found it was cracked this was in October of 2013, so my claim was closed with Chrysler. Van shut down again on 12-22-13 while looking at christimas lights in my community. There have been several other incidents since 12-22-13 that my van has shut down the latest being on 6-4-14 while driving on the 101 freeway going 65 miles an hour. I had to think quick and I remember that my son who has a 2005 Dodge Ram had this same issue with his truck and he told me to put the transmission into neutral and restart the van as it was coasting and then put it back into drive. The van restarted and I was able to get to my destination and back home without issue. I called Chrysler on 6-6-14 to report that the issue continues and that it happened on the freeway this last time. They started a new claim and had me take it back to larry H. miller avondale Dodge. The dealer can still not recreate the issue! I fear for the safety of myself, children and grandchildren.

- Avondale, AZ, USA

Nov 302013

Town & Country 6-cyl

I was driving to the store at approx. 40 mph when all of a sudden I noticed my dashboard and my fuel gage went down, my speed dropped I didn't know what was happening. My car was slowing down but since I was going downhill I coasted. I realized my engine had shut off. I panicked but thankfully thought to turn the ignition switch and the car turned back on. I thought it was a fluke. But this issue has occurred several times while driving. The same scenario. I realized by just bumping the key it turns off the engine. If I turn my ignition and if I don't hold it long enough, it will move back to off position. I mean I barely bump it and it can turn off. It has happened while driving at least 4 times. I have not gone to my Chrysler dealership because I didn't want to pay an out of pocket expense and I no longer have the warranty on it.

- Ontario, CA, USA

Oct 012013

Town & Country 6-cyl

My van will just turn itself off while you are driving and you lose all power steering and etc. We have had it to the dealership 3 times. I believe it should be included in the ignition switch recall but I have contacted the Chrysler 1-800 number and contacted them thru their website and they won't help me. The representative thru their 1-800 number wants me to pay to take it to another Chrysler dealership and pay them to look at it after I have already paid $800 to my local one to have a switch replaced that did not fix the problem.

- Lenoir City, TN, USA

May 272014

Town & Country 6-cyl

The van has been maintained by only the dealer from day one! the past few times I have had my oil changed, I keep having to add oil myself in between changes. Wow, so I thought maybe the dealer messed up or didn't add enough oil, but now here I am doing it again. Two days ago I added 1/2 qt, well only about 30 miles later, it is low again. Really" no leaks, but no oil. So frustrating also because the light has only ever came on once. I have heard a chime 2X, and both times, it has led me to check to the oil, but never a light again. This van has had multiple problems from day one, and the dealer service department is terrible, what are they waiting on for the recall? when the van cuts off in the middle of an intersection and someone gets killed"

- Owings, MD, USA

May 012014

Town & Country 6-cyl

I have had issues with stalling for months. Since February 2014, I have taken to local service center 3 times but they cannot fix it. Finally on May 1, 2014 after the vehicle stalled 2 times, I was involved in a collision. No injuries and the only damage was to my vehicle. Current estimate to repair the vehicle from the collision is $1700. There is no estimate to repair the stalling because there is no solution known to cause the stalling. Typical stall: While driving, the power steering gives out and then the brakes lock up. The vehicle has to be put into park after I attempt to safely stop. The key has to be turned all the way to off position before it will restart. Frequency is 1-4 times per week.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Jan 142014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Vehicle was started after being parked for a couple of hours and driven about three blocks and the engine stalled. This has happened 5 times the latest this morning 1/2 block after a cold start. No warning lights on first 4 stalls and this morning the antiskid light came on. Engine (4.0) revs to appx 3000 RPM when started after stalling once the vehicle is restarted the engine does not stall for weeks. Engine restarts immediately.

- Richardson, TX, USA

Apr 112014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Vehicle is burning 3 qts of oil between oil changes, no leaks, very disappointing.

- Germantown, WI, USA

May 032014

Town & Country

Van intermittently stalls at low speed unexpectedly. Gauges will fail at high speed, but has only died at low speeds. Occurs when cold outside. Must turn ignition off and on again to start. Sometimes must put in gear and back to park first.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 022012

Town & Country 6-cyl

Engine burns over 3 quarts of oil between oil changes. It has gotten worse with age. I'm putting almost 4 quarts in every 2000 miles now. Based on the reading I've done, this is a too common problem. The engine design was changed in 2011 due to this known defect. There should be a recall recommended.

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Oct 102013

Town & Country

Oil tank is empty after 1,000 miles! this can cause major problems! vehicle only has 50,000 miles on it! nobody should have to check their oil level every time they fill up gas!

- Pulaski, WI, USA

Apr 122014

Town & Country 6-cyl

I have a 2008 town &country touring minivan for 3 yrs but now at every oil change the mechanic tells me that the car burning oil and it stalling and at high speed it gets little scary. It need a recall the motor should not be burning oil every 3000 miles and I always change my oil at 2900 and cleaning the motor gets expensive every oil change for me goes for over $150 because the motor burning oil have this check before something happens.

- Richmond Hill, NY, USA

Apr 052014

Town & Country

I noticed at approximately 48,000 miles that my 2008 Town & Country was burning oil during use with no visible oil leaks after taking the vehicle in for an oil change. The mechanic stated that the vehicle was 3 quarts of oil low when checked before draining the oil. I have been checking the oil once per month since. The vehicle now has about 73,000 miles on it and is burning approximately 1 quart of oil each 1500 miles driven. I have never owned a vehicle with this problem and have read other complaints on this site of this same issue. I am lucky that I caught the issue before serious engine damage and repairs were required like some of the other respondents. This issue should be considered for recall or extended coverage in the event that serious issues occur. Other issues I have experienced during my ownership of this vehicle I purchased new are the premature failure of the front hubs and premature wear of the brake components. The front hubs have failed on each side 3 times already in the 73,000 miles and now the drivers side hub is making a loud noise again signaling that it will need to be replaced soon. I have never had this issue with any vehicle that I have owned. To have it happen for the 4th time prior to 100,000 miles would seem to be a defect. The brake components seem to wear out every 15,000 miles and the rotors require replacement each time the pads wear out. This seems to be a quality issue with the parts both new and replacement.

- Grosse Pointe Farms, MI, USA

Nov 022013

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town & Country. The contact stated while driving 25 mph, the vehicle stalled without any warning. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the air intake valve was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 120,000 and the current mileage was unknown.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 042014

Town & Country 6-cyl

I have had this 2008 T&C since 2009. Bought it one year old with 20,000 miles. After the first oil changed I noticed that oil was being consumed somewhere. It wasn't burning out the tail pipe (no blue smoke anywhere, anytime), so the engine must have been using it. When I called the Chrysler service department, I was told that it is normal for engines to burn a quart of oil every 1000 miles. I have never heard of any engine using that much oil ever! I have owned 16 cars in my lifetime and not one of them ever used oil - none! so, knowing this I had to keep 5 quarts of oil in the garage at all times and about every other week I would add another quart. So my wife was coming home from work late one night and the van died while driving. I took it into a repair shop (not Chrysler as it was out of warranty) and my mechanic told me that along with dropping a valve seat in one of the heads, that the engine had also spun 2 bearings and were shattered in the oil pan. I have always made sure to keep oil in this engine because it was using so much and would check it regularly as I was always worried about it - especially since Chrysler said that it was normal - which it isn't! now I'm stuck paying for a $3,500 engine and labor at 103,000 miles and a 6 year old vehicle. This is entirely unacceptable! I know I'm not the only person complaining about this specific vehicle as I have looked up online to find that thousand's of other people are having the same issues. Honestly I cannot believe the motor has not been recalled for this by now as it has been happening for years now! I normally drive all of my vehicles to 150,000 to 200,000 miles and when I have sold all of them they have been in perfect running condition - but this T&C has been nothing short of a failure since the day we bought it. What makes it so hard is this is the 3rd T&C we have bought and the other 2 were great!

- Lake Geneva, WI, USA

Dec 022010

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while driving at 65 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. After restarting the engine the vehicle would operate normally. The contact indicated that the failure was recurring. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to diagnose the failure. The contact indicated that the vehicle continued to experience the defect. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 45,000.

- Perry , OK, USA

Jan 012014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 40 mph, the engine stalled with the illumination of the esp warning indicator. The vehicle was coasted to the side of the road where the engine was restarted and resumed normally. The sporadic failure recurred threes times. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who was unable to duplicate a problem. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 125,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Bennett, NC, USA