2010 Ford Escape engine problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 15 of 23)

Jul 142013

I was driving about 55 mph when the wrench dashboard indicator light comes on. At the same time my gas pedal ceases to work and car speed decreases. I have to coast onto the shoulder of the road. Thankfully brakes work. Car is still running. I turn car off and wait a minute. Turn back on. It starts. Light is gone and car feels shuddery but continues running.

- Gulf Shores, AL, USA

Jul 012013

Escape 6-cyl

Traveling at 65 mph engine suddenly drops in RPM to about 600 - 900 RPM and check engine light comes on. Pulled car to side of road, shut it off and restarted. Engine ran fine and was later inspected. Obd indicates throttle body malfunction and requires replacement.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 152013

I was traveling approximately 35-40 mph when my car stalled, but not shutting off and the RPM fluttering between 1000-2000 RPM. My accelerator pedal would not allow me to press it to increase RPM or mph. Next my check engine light came one and the wrench symbol as well. I call my local Ford dealership/service and he explained it to be the accelerator throttle body and there is a national back order for this part. If this is the case there should be a national recall from the government or Ford about this problem.

- Claymont, DE, USA

Jun 142013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving on I-95 60 mph....when the engine almost completely stalled out without warning. The car speed dropped down to 5-7mph...and the car started shaking and the engine began rough surging. I barely missed being hit by a large semi truck as I inched the car over to the curb. I was able to get the car off the expressway (going about 5 mph) at the next exit and then turned the car off. The wrench light also appeared. I turned the car off.I called my husband, who told me to see if I could restart the car after 15 minutes. It started back up and I was able to drive home. The car worked okay for 3 more weeks and then the same thing happened to me again.....and almost caused an accident again. I was able to get the car home, I have parked the car and will no longer use it.

- Mamaroneck, NY, USA

Jun 272013

Escape 6-cyl

The first incident happened as I was leaving work. I'd just pulled out of our parking lot onto the highway when my car failed to accelerate. A wrench symbol light came on and I coasted to the side of the highway, turned it off, let it sit for a moment and then restarted my car. I made it about 7 miles when the same thing happened. I pulled into a parking lot and used my phone to google the symptoms on a Ford forum. It stated that there were in fact several incidents stating the exact same problems. And that after restarting their vehicles, it resets itself. So I continued home. It happened 2 more times before I made it home only now the check engine light was on as well. I called Ford and they stated there was in fact an issue with the throttle body affecting several Ford vehicles. I had my car towed to Ford where they diagnosed that it was in fact the throttle body. However, this part is now on a national backorder. I am the 13th person at my local dealership needing this part in order to drive my vehicle. I have children and I refuse to put their lives at risk in this vehicle. They cleaned the throttle body and said this was a band aid fix until the part came in which by the way has no eta.this band aid repair lasted less than 24 hours. I have the extended warranty and it will cover this repair but I'm going to have to pay $100 deductible for it to be fixed. Why am I having to pay out of pocket for a problem that is not specific to my vehicle? they have posted bulletins but still no recall. Is it going to take someone being killed before they do something about this. I'm having to depend on rides from friends to get to and from work, to get to the grocery store, to pick up my children. My extended warranty will cover 2 days of a rental. Ford says they can't offer me a loaner vehicle. Please make them do something about this...

- Lake Charles,, LA, USA

Jul 052013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving 55mph and the Escape suddenly lost power, decelerating and coming to a stop. The powertrain light came on and the vehicle had a difficult time turning over. The vehicle was taken to a dealership where nothing was found. The incident then occurred again a week later at the same speed. This time the check engine light and oil pressure light came on as well. The vehicle would only start in neutral and then it was taken to the stop. This time it was determined that the throttle body sensor needed to be replaced.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Feb 112013

Escape 6-cyl

The Ford died on the interstate the second day(2/11/13) I owned it. It totally lost power and I had to coast onto the shoulder and wait. I returned it to the dealer where they kept it for a day and found nothing. It occurred three times the next week and I returned to the dealer. They cleaned something and the car worked without incident for a couple weeks. The car has intermittently quit over the last couple months. It got real bad this week (7/10/13) and when I took it to the dealership the computer finally registered a throttle problem. The part is on national back order and should take a month to get.

- Fredericktown, OH, USA

May 052012

Escape 4-cyl

While engine is underload reproduced by pressing both gas and brakes simultaneously; at acceleration and between 30-40 mph the engine makes an audible thumping noise. Ford has been unable to correct this problem and calls it normal. They indicated I should drive more aggressively (faster and forcing the engine to shift gears) in order to avoid this condition. This is dangerous and irresponsible advice that may lead to an accident. The condition may lead to engine failure.

- Dorado, PR, USA

Jul 102013

Escape 4-cyl

My 17 year old daughter has had two occurrences of the vehicle losing all power within the last two days (7/10/2013 and 7/11/2013). Once she was starting from a red light and the other she was driving down the road. Both times she was able to pull off to the side of the road and start the car and continue travel.

- Meridianville, AL, USA

Nov 132012

Escape 6-cyl

Throttle body failure. From Nov 2012 until July 2013 my Ford Escape has been bucking and surging at low speeds with no throttle response. Occasionally, the vehicle would die completely unresponsive in the middle of an intersection. On July 11, 2013, my wife took our 2010 Ford Escape to ernest mccarty Ford in alabaster, al. They told us that the throttle body assembly would need to be replaced. This issue is very dangerous and should Ford should issue a recall.

- Helena, AL, USA

May 202013

Escape 4-cyl

First it started with the engine light coming on. I had the codes read at a local auto parts store and they saw it was an "evap censor" and stated this is usually associated with a gas cap leaking. Well, the Escape we have doesn't have a gas cap!!! it's one of those "quick fuel, nascar type systems", where there is just a plug that retracts when you insert the gas nozzle and retracts when you're finished? secondly, the surging started happening while stopped at red lights. I would slide the gear into neutral, which would keep the vehicle from lunging, but you could still see the RPM's revving up and down. This issue went on for about two months. Thirdly, it is now stalling while driving 50 - 60 mph down the highway. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when it happens, it just totally shuts down the engine!!! very dangerous.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Apr 192013

As I accelerate from a stop position such as a stop sign, traffic light or accelerate trying to go up an incline or bridge the car loses all power. The engine still runs and the power steering still works but as you try and press down on the pedal to accelerate nothing happens. Eventually the car stops and begins to sputter. I turn off the car and then start it up. The car works fine for a few miles but the situation happens again.

- Merritt Island, FL, USA

Jul 072013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving on 2 lane hwy in 55mph zone in passing lane and came up to red light. When light changed, stepped on gas pedal and had no acceleration. Vehicle had only an idling, surging rough motion that allowed it to slowly move onto the grass median. Caused several cars to back up before vehicle was out of traffic. Restarted vehicle and engine ran a rough idle w/ the wrench and engine lights on. Ironic, that another Ford Escape owner stopped to help and told me his 2009 had just had same symptoms the week before and he told me his was throttle body and it was over $500 to repair. Diagnosis at Ford was code P2112 (throttle stuck closed). Solution was to replace electronic throttle body. Seems to be a familiar issue w/ Ford dealer as they had just gotten parts this week after being back ordered last week. Questioned customer service rep to see if new part was same manufacturer as old part. He informed me that new part was from a new manufacturer. Seems like another situation of lowest cost vendor syndrome and Ford should have to stand behind their procurement/engineering decisions. Just thankful that I did not get rear-ended while stuck in the passing lane in a 55mph zone.

- Cary, NC, USA

Apr 082010

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the engine stalled with the illumination of the wrench warning icon. Upon restarting, the vehicle resumed normally. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the throttle body motor assembly was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 1,000. Updated 08/15/13

- Delanson, NY, USA

Jul 052013

The Escape engine stopped providing power and the accelerator stopped responding. The car engine went to idle. After pulling over shutting car off then on again the engine began responding. This happened about 10 times before getting the car to a service dealer. The problem was identified as a failed throttle body. The dealer indicated that these parts are on a 10 day back-order due to so many vehicles having the same failure and parts are not available due to surge in demand.

- Chardon, OH, USA

Jul 082013

Escape 6-cyl

After sitting with my car running in a parked position for approximately one minute, I put the car in drive. I drove for an estimated 30 seconds. Then I stopped to check for oncoming traffic before pulling out into an intersection. When I pressed the gas to make a right turn onto that major road, the yellow/orange "wrench" sign immediately popped up. Simultaneously, my car began to rumble and shake. In addition, despite pressing the gas pedal, my car was not accelerating. I immediately pulled onto the shoulder of the road, which was difficult to do since my car was struggling to move. I turned the car off and restarted it. It was difficult to get the car to restart. It struggled and sounded like it was going to stall out, but after approximately ten seconds, it started up. Now, in addition to the "wrench" light, my Escape also had the check engine symbol lit up. Even though I was sitting on the side of the road with my car running in the parked position, my car was still rumbling and shaking. Interesting to note, I was actually on the way home from the Ford service department where I had just had my car serviced for a seemingly unrelated problem. The day before the throttle went, my back passenger tire became stuck in a locked position, and I was unable to drive. I had to pump my brakes, and put my emergency brake (which had not been engaged) on and off several times to unlock the back passenger tire. Ford determined this incident was due to water getting on the brake shoe which made it stick to the brake drum. They cleaned, readjusted and lubricated my rear brakes (drums, shoes, etc) and sent me on my way. My throttle went while I was on my way home from the service department at Ford where they had just fixed my brake issue. I had to be towed back to Ford since my car was not able to run.

- Cranford, NJ, USA

Jul 072013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving my 2010 Ford Escape at about 65 miles per hour on the New Jersey turnpike when all of a sudden the wrench light came on and I lost power in the engine. I was in the middle lane of a 4 lane highway and had to get over to the shoulder. The engine never shut off but would not go over 5 mph. I shut the engine down and restarted the car and everything was fine. I had 70 miles to go so I decided to try to drive on and everything was fine for 40 miles when it did it again. I got over to the shoulder, shut the engine off and restarted and was able to make it to my destination. I have an appointment to take the car to a Ford dealership to get it fixed on Thursday. The dealership told me that they were familiar with this issue and that the throttle control need to be replaced. I have looked online and have seen hundreds and hundreds of posts from owners that are having the same issue. What gives. If Ford know about this, shouldn't they take care of it!

- Union City, NJ, USA

Jul 042013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle stalls while driving, stalls while idle, RPM's spike while driving !!! scary !! codes read P2112. (throttle stuck open ) thinking bad throttle body ?

- Glenside, PA, USA

Jul 032013

I currently have a 2010 Ford Escape with 47,000 miles on it. On Wednesday July 3 2013 I was returning home from doing errands, and my Ford Escape came to a complete stop. The vehicle would not move. There were no warning lights on the dash informing me that there was a problem. Fortunately, I had just turned into the lane to my house and was not on a major highway. We had the vehicle towed to a local dealer who informed us that it is the electronic throttle body. We contacted Ford corporation and reported the issue, they said that this is not under warranty and there has been no issues with this part in the past. Ford gave us a case number and said that it would take up to four days to determine if they will cover the repair. I had my seven year old grandson with me that day, and all I keep thinking about is what if that would have happen on a busy highway with cars going the speed of 55mph and higher.

- Butler, PA, USA

Jun 112013

Escape 6-cyl

My 2010 Ford Escape is going into limp mode while driving. It just stops responding to the accelerator and limps along until I can pull off the road and turn the car off. In the beginning, I could start the car back up and drive home. But it is beginning to happen more often and now I cannot drive it at all.

- Sandy Springs, GA, USA