2010 Ford Escape engine problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 17 of 23)

Jun 242013

Escape 6-cyl

Twice in less than 24 hours, the car went into "limp home" mode complete with wrench indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The engine dropped and would not come above 1000 RPM, and would allow the vehicle to lurch forward at no more than 15-20 miles per hour. The first incident occurred on 6/24 at an intersection, upon the light turning green. As I accelerated to go through the intersection, the vehicle dropped into "limp" mode and forced a left turn to park and turn off the engine. Doing so and allowing it to sit for a few minutes got it to reset and not happen again on my way home. The second occurrence was the morning of 6/25, in the middle of I-95 on my way to work; approximate speed was 55-60 miles per hour. Thankfully, I was in the far right lane and able to drift to the shoulder to repeat last night's procedure. Considering the negative press the "limp home" mode and throttle body assembly get from various forums recounting very similar occasions to my own experience, this needs to be a recall before somebody gets killed! a tsb or "suggested solution" is not enough!

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Escape 6-cyl

While driving home from louisville headed back to cincinnati my daughter experienced our vehicle stalling out at highway speeds 3 different times. She was able to work her way over to the side of the road and restart the vehicle each time. However this was very scary as at highway speeds the sudden loss of power and speed caused traffic to almost rear end her vehicle on two of the three occasions. When I contacted the local Ford dealer upon safely returning home they made it sound like it was an issue with the throttle body and that this is a very common problem in these vehicles. I was also told by my son that I needed to report this because this is a widespread problem. He did a quick google search and was able to see the investigation into this issue. Please do something about this before there is innocent loss of life.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Escape

For the last couple of weeks while at stop lights or when the car was just idling I notice the car would shake/sputter/hesitate, like it was not getting enough fuel to the engine to idle, every once in a while but it did not stall out completely it would recover. Then while driving home on June 23, 2013 at 40mph I took my foot off of the gas pedal for a second to begin to slow down as I was approaching a red light, however, the light changed before I got to the intersection and then the car made a shutter/thud not a loud sound but you knew something has just happened, I thought maybe my transmission had just gone out because when I was pressed on the gas pedal it did not respond. I pushed the pedal all the way to the floor but nothing happened. I could not tell if the car really stalled out it seemed more like the gas pedal was just not responding. I lost speed rapidly and coasted into a parking lot. The first time I restarted the car the gas pedal still did not work but the car did go into gear so I thought it must not be the transmission. The second time I restarted the car I gave the gas pedal a couple of pumps before putting into gear to make sure it was responding that worked and I made it home. The car did hesitate and sputter when I was sitting still at the lights so I would put it in park and rev the engine until the light changed. I took the car to a Ford dealership the next day and they informed me that the throttle body needs to be replaced and of course that is an out of pocket expense as my warranty is expired. How many of these complaint have to be filed before Ford has to admit this is there fault for putting faulty throttle bodies in these cars and issues a recall ?

- La Vista, NE, USA

Jun 112012

Escape

Driving 60mph on highway when Ford Escape bucked, slowed, did not accelerate when gas was applied. Pulled to side of road where engine sputtered and died. Restarted truck, drove another 10 miles when same occurred. This has occurred numerous times over the past two years. I assumed I had bought gas with water in it "bad gas". several times I have used a product to remove water from the gas, this only works sometimes. I have an appointment with Ford on July 5th, I believe its another problem with the ecoboost engine in my SUV. Ford should recall this engine before a fatality occurs, I have visions of someone plowing into the back of my vehicle while my engine stalls unexpectedly.

- Millsboro, DE, USA

Jun 242013

Escape

First time I noticed a problem with the car it started to surge at a stop light. This has happened a few times in the last month. Then while driving on the freeway at approx. 65 mph the car stalled out and had to pull over. Turned off vehicle and then restarted car and drove it straight to the dealership. Dealership checked codes and said throttle body assembly failed. Part is on back order. This is a huge safety concern!

- Grapevine, TX, USA

May 312013

Escape 6-cyl

The vehicle just dies as though it ran out of gas. The vehicle stays running, does not loose the power to radio or lights etc, but dies as if out of gas. I pull over to the side of the road and it idles very rough. Place in park, turn the key to the off position and restart no problems. However the vehicle now does it on the highway while traveling at 80 miles per hour. There obviously is some thing wrong with this....a huge safety problem.

- Stuart, FL, USA

Escape 4-cyl

On June 23, 2013 driving on street about 25 M.P.H. when car suddenly dropped in speed to almost an idle. After pulling to side of road, was able to turn around and return home at about 1 M.P.H. fortunately, there were no vehicles behind me, otherwise, because of the abrupt stopping of the vehicle a rear end accident would have occurred. Ford roadside service towed car to kindle Ford, cape may court house, NJ on Monday June 24, 2013. I was later advised by the service department that the vehicle needed a throttle body assembly at a cost of $378 and that it was not covered under the power train warranty period. Worse yet, I was told that the part was back ordered, service could give no date when the part would be available, as it was on nationwide back order and could be several weeks or more before the part was available. No loner car was offered for use during this unreasonable delay.

- Linwood, NJ, USA

Jun 192013

Escape 4-cyl

Was driving along at about 30mph when the engine cut down to what I would later find out was "limp home mode". the wrench and engine lights went on and the vehicle became unresponsive to the accelerator. I had traffic behind me and was going up a hill which I was barely able to sputter to the top off before turning off the vehicle. I tried starting it again and it hard started but idled fine and ran fine for about 50 yards before the same thing happened again. Luckily, I was able to roll onto a neighborhood street and pull over. I eventually chanced a drive to the dealer and made it there without the vehicle failing. I was later told that it was a failure of the throttle body and the part was on backorder for 1-2 weeks. I saw that the 2005-2012 Escapes are being investigated by the NHTSA for this issue so I assume backorder wait is because the part has been failing with frequency. Although it did not cause an accident, the sudden change in responsiveness of the vehicle and the failure to accelerate could have easily lead to an accident and/or bodily injury. As it is, I am without my vehicle for 1-2 weeks.

- Universal City, TX, USA

Jun 032013

Escape 6-cyl

Power was lost and the throttle had no response-engine ran rough but would not respond to throttle-had to restart to regain power-very, very, frightening.

- Saint Albans, WV, USA

May 162013

Escape 6-cyl

On multiple occasions my 2010 Ford Escape stalled while driving. Vehicle was unresponsive when pressing on the gas pedal and required a restart in order to temporarily correct the issue. In all instances, I was in the middle of traffic and struggled to make my way to the shoulder to avoid an accident or injury to myself and others. Upon further investigation from local Ford dealer, I was informed that the throttle body was defective and causing the vehicle to stall. Dealer stated that the throttle body was only covered under warranty through 36K miles.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Sep 192012

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at highway speeds the engine revs up and losses power to the transmission as if it was out of gear. It also has happened and standing, I need to shut off the motor and reset it as to speak. The Ford dealer has said that it is a throttle body issue, but I am scared to drive it down the highway for fear that I may be rear ended. I have found that there is a current investigation under way for throttle body failures and there is a current national back order on them.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Escape

Driving at 40mph, lost power. Was told today at Ford service dept that it is a failed throttle body.

- North Augusta, SC, USA

Jun 172013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle stalled several times. Loses power with no acceleration when feeding gas. Wrench indicator light comes on, indicates throttle body issue. Vehicle needs to be restarted. Took to the shop after 3 incidences. Mechanics tell me the electronic throttle body has failed. Parts on national back order due to high frequency of incidences. Please issue a recall!

- Abington, PA, USA

Escape 6-cyl

Accelerator stuck on off ramp and tried to push the vehicle through the intersection. This has happened on three different occasions. Ford dealer can not duplicate problem.

- Coweta, OK, USA

Jun 162013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on the interstate at about 70 mph. Suddenly, without notice the car began to slow down and depressing accelerated did nothing. I was able to coast to the shoulder where the car continued to idle roughly with the wrench indicator light on. I turned the ignition off and waited a few seconds. I started the car and engine ran somewhat normally. Same issue occurred on return trip a few hours later. Took to Ford dealer who diagnosed as needed the throttle body replaced. Said the part was on back order and would probably take 4 weeks to get it. This issue could result in very serious injury if it occurs in heavy traffic conditions.

- Manchester, MO, USA

Jun 182013

Escape

Driving approx 40mph when vehicle started stalling. RPM drops to approx 1000, gas pedal does not respond. Happened multiple times in the past, taken to dealership but "no codes were found to suggest a defect." Have to turn the car off and restart with it being in park before starts to run and wrench light turns off. Drove to the dealer after that last incident on 6/21, code 2111 was found to be pending which would have been lost if I turned the car off, found it to be the electronic throttle body. For a car that is 3 years old and 40K miles, it is dangerous to have this defect as if it happens on the highway you are stuck with a chance for a semi-truck to rear end you. Please allow this recall for the safety of others.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Jun 202013

Escape

Driving during favorable conditions, after stop for traffic signal car began to lunge during take off acceleration. The powetrain/throttle control light on dash illuminated. Had vehicle towed to dealership where they diagnosed bad throttle body and reported shortage of part, anticipating 30 day wait for availability.

- Front Royal, VA, USA

Escape 6-cyl

The vehicle stalled while driving on the highway at 60 mph.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Jun 092013

Escape 6-cyl

My car stalled out as I was driving down the street. I had to turn off my car and restart it. It was able to restart but about 5 minutes later it did the same thing. At one point I was in the middle of an intersection. When I took it in to the dealership they told me this was happening to many other Ford Escapes as well as Ford Fusion. At this point they told me the part was back ordered for 2-3 weeks. They told me most people were just able to drive the car with the random stalling out until the parts came in.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jun 192013

Escape 4-cyl

Was driving on the highway when car lurched forward and then proceeded to coast. I pressed gas pedal but nothing happened. I had to steer through traffic to get to the shoulder where the car started to stumble like it was going to die. I shut off engine and restarted, it started normal so I proceeded home. I had less than a mile to home yet it died 2 more times. This is a huge safety problem seeing how you're dead in the water when the car malfunctions! it takes a lot to scare me but seeing how I was responsible for the safety of my wife and 4 yr old son, it scared me half to death!

- Owensboro, KY, USA