2010 Ford Escape engine problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 19 of 23)

Jun 072013

Escape 6-cyl

The engine stalled while I was driving on the express way. With no power I coasted (luckily) to the shoulder. The same thing happened to my wife in the same vehicle the previous Monday. It was towed to a mechanics garage where it was diagnosed with a throttle body problem. He cleaned it, test drove it and sent her on her way. Obviously there is still a problem.

- Lapeer, MI, USA

May 162013

Escape

While driving at approx 45mph, vehicle started to decrease in speed. Pressing the gas pedal the rpms continued to decrease and car slowed to a stop without stalling. Vehicle began sputtering and "wrench" light appeared on dash.

- Downingtown, PA, USA

Escape 6-cyl

Car suddenly has no gas, engine is running but no control over acceleration.

- Moore, SC, USA

Apr 242013

Escape 6-cyl

I purchased a 2010 Ford Escape limited in October 2010. In just two and half of years of having the vehicle and under 50,000 miles, I had to replace the throttle body costing me $385 (after talking the service guy down to that price). The incident occurred on April 24, 2013 while driving home from work for lunch. I was driving on a busy road when my car's speed started to slow down automatically. I tried to press the gas but it would not accelerate although the engine was still on. There were no lights on indicating a problem, so I pulled into the first place I could, turned off the car and turned it back on. It started right back up so I didn't think anything of it and pulled back out onto the street. It happened two more times on my way home before I saw the first mechanic shop and turned in. By the third time the (wrench) light came on. Since I was still under the powertrain warranty the mechanic told me it was best to go to the closest Ford location. After looking at my car they told me the throttle body needed to be replaced and due to what type of part it was, the repair was not covered under my warranty so I had to pay the full amount. This does not seem normal given that the car is only a few years old and less than 50,000 miles. I am fearful that more problems are to come...

- Auburn, AL, USA

Escape 6-cyl

Engine lost power and coasted to side of road. Towed to dealer, keyser miller Ford, 8 East main St., collegeville, pa 19426. They stated the problem was the "throttle body", and it needed to be replaced. They said it was a common problem with the Escapes. Parts next to impossible to obtain.

- Norristown, PA, USA

Escape 4-cyl

While driving, the vehicle stalled out 1 time today, 1 time yesterday, and 1 time about 3 weeks ago. No sign of a problem until the engine stopped accelerating suddenly. Called the Ford dealer today, and they say it is a known problem with this make/model/year. He said the throttle body is bad and will have to be replaced. However, these parts are on about a 2 week wait because they are on "national backorder". obviously a bigger problem than Ford can keep up with. This stalling is dangerous because it happens at highway speeds. The car can be doing 45+ and suddenly slow down to a stop, risking injury to the people in the car and other motorists. Ford needs to announce a recall to keep someone from getting hurt.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle looses power while driving at speed over 65. Would not accelerate and had to pull over while car started to shake. Vehicle also idles very hard while on and in parked position or stopped with brakes on.

- Louisville, KY, USA

May 012013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving the motor shuts down. It is impossible to even rev the engine and increase rpms. It will jerk and jump forward as if its trying to accelerate but wont go any faster than idle speed. If I turn the engine off it will work properly for about 50 yards then shut down again.

- Orlando , FL, USA

May 312013

Escape 6-cyl

While entering a freeway at 40mph the car stalled, thankfully there was a shoulder to pull on to otherwise we would've been rear ended. This has happened at differing speeds as well. The wrench light in the dash comes on and the vehicle stalls. Restarting vehicle will usually resume with no issues. No codes are stored so dealer can't find problem. This has happened 10X's at least. I'm scared to let my wife or daughter drive this vehicle. No signs given that it will stall.

- Milford, MI, USA

May 302013

Escape 6-cyl

The vehicle lost power while on highway at 65mph. Engine did not stop running completely but the vehicle would not go. Had to pull over, turn vehicle off and restart. Did this 6 separate times 3 on 5/30 and 3 on 5/31/13. This has been diagnosed as a common problem by repair shop as faulty throttle body.

- Kingwood, TX, USA

Apr 252013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving on freeway at speed and vehicle fuel system seemed to shut off causing vehicle to stall and shutter. I was barely able to exit freeway without incident. Shut engine off and restarted and vehicle finally resumed normal operation, at which time I drove directly to dealer for inspection, but they were in process of closing for the day and vehicle had resumed proper operation by then and dealer felt the vehicle would not be damaged to continue on trip if we wished. This incident occurred 2 more times before returning home. When home, check engine light came on and took vehicle to mechanic for inspection and it was diagnosed with a faulty throttle body which as of 5/30/13 are unavailable due to national back order. Evidently lots of Escapes seem to have this problem. I am currently on list for the part in question. Vehicle is out of warranty by 1 month but not by mileage.

- Tyler, TX, USA

May 302013

Escape 6-cyl

Took off from stop light, made a left turn and while in middle of turn, felt loss of power, car would not accelerate. I looked at dash and noticed what looked like a battery symbol in red and the oil symbol in red. Coasted to side of road. Turned ignition to off position, waited a second or two and turned back on. Vehicle started right back up and I continued on my way.

- Riverview, MI, USA

May 142013

Escape 4-cyl

Driving along around at 45 or 50 mph and went to turn on the air conditioner and the car stalled. I was able to pull over and the car restarted.. previous to this when turning on the ac the car got very sluggish, I was stepping on the gas but the car would not go. After a very short time the car recovered and normal speed was attained. I fear this may happen pulling into traffic or merging and this happening would be extremely dangerous and cause an accident. I was told by the dealership I bought the vehicle from that Ford is having a problem with this part. When I searched the internet I saw that many others have had the same or similar issues with the 2005 -2011 Escapes. I was also told that Ford is doing a redesign of this part but no date as to when it would be available. My dealership stated they were able to find the same part but no promises if it would last. They also stated they could not duplicate the problem while in the shop, thus it's an intermittent occurence. They recommended just driving the vehicle and keeping in touch to see when the redesign is available.

- Sharon, MA, USA

May 282013

Escape 6-cyl

The vehicle started stalling while approaching a traffic light and continued to stall to where eventually the gas pedal was non-operational. The car was taken to a Ford dealership and a mechanic diagnosed that the throttle body was not operating properly and needed to be replaced. Ford staff indicated the part is not covered under the power train warranty and the replacement part would have to be paid out of pocket at the owner's expense.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 282013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway at 60 mph in cruise control and the car suddenly died. The check engine light came on and when I stepped on the pedal nothing happened. The ac unit and radio continued to work fine. When the car finally came to a stop, I turned off the engine and restarted it and it came back on like normal. The check engine light was no longer on. I was able to drive home fine.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Apr 182013

Escape

Driving on the freeway about 55 mph and sudden loss of power and engine appeared to shut off causing rapid deceleration, this happened about April 18, 2013 and again May 24, 2013 both times on the freeway. Also noted that car surges intermittently when accelerating driving city streets. Called Ford after first incident and took car in for scheduled maintenance. No mention of any issue with safety of car. Last incident asked Ford to do a diagnosis and they told me it was a rare occurrence having to do with a stuck throttle and it would be over a month before the replacement throttle part comes in and I should not drive the car. The repair is going to be somewhere in the range of 500-700 dollars. Ford also told me that they recommended I have sensors cleaned also due to build-up which could affect the catalytic converter"?? caused by the throttle problem?" I was also told that none of this repair is covered under my factory warranty.

- Encinitas, CA, USA

May 232013

Escape

Going about 45 mph when all of a sudden the car started to coast, there was no warning light. I pushed the gas pedal to the floor and it was as though the car was not getting any fuel to the engine there was no acceleration. I coasted to a stop turned off the engine waited a few minutes turned the car on it seemed fine so I finished my errand. On the way home I was going approx. 50mph on the local highway and the same thing happened. Took my car to a local Ford dealer (I thought it was still under warranty) they said it would cost $900 to clean the throttle body as recommended by Ford but they were not sure it would fix the problem. The throttle body part was on back order and they were not sure when they could get one. So now I have a car I am afraid to drive.

- Gulf Breeze , FL, USA

Feb 222013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving to work on I10 at 60 miles per hr in houston tx. The Escape lost power and was hard to steer. I limped off the road and shut the Escape down and restarted it. The Escape worked fine again. This happened twice more over the next months. I am taking the Escape to russell smith Ford in houston tx to have them correct the problem. Please check with them on the issue as I or others could have been killed as this happened during rush hour traffic in houston.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 202013

Escape 6-cyl

I was traveling 60mph, car suddenly stalled on the highway. Gas paddle did not respond. Engine light & wrench light was lit. Stopped the vehicle completely & turn the engine off. Waited couple of mins and start again. No wrench light but engine light goes off. Now this happens every day.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 212013

Escape 6-cyl

Engine stopped running while driving. Diagnostics showed that the throttle actuator controller was stuck in the open position. Local service facility cited a recall P2111-Ford dealership denied this-saying that I must pay for repairs.

- Saint Charles, MO, USA