2010 Ford Escape engine problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 20 of 23)

May 062013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving car engine suddenly decelerates to a fast rough idle. Car must be pulled to the side of the road, then shut off and restarted to continue driving. This incident has occurred 4 times between 5/6 and 5/15/2013. Car has been in the Ford dealers shop for a week now without a fix, seems like the onboard computer does not save the diagnostic data after being shut off. New Ford with 1970's computer technology ? I believe this is a safety issue and Ford needs to do whatever it takes to fix the problem.

- Lebanon, PA, USA

May 112013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle lost power while driving approx 40 mph. No response from the gas pedal. Shut ignition off and car ran fine for a while. Happened three more times. Took vehicle to Ford dealer for repair, they said it was a faulty throttle body. Vehicle is still in shop as there apparently is a "national backorder" on the part - none available right now.

- Canton, MI, USA

May 102013

Escape 6-cyl

Electronic throttle body - code P2111 displayed - action number PE13003 żącar lost transmission power and eventually stopped out on route 1 South. The issue began at the top of the morris goodkind bridge, as the incident occurred I noticed the wrench icon in the lower left of the dashboard and the check engine light I was in the left lane traveling at the average pace of traffic, I managed to get to the center lane once I realized the issue and eventually the car came to a complete stop [ engine would rev but no power would transfer to transmission] near the dangerous exit ramp for route 18 N and S. luckily no one behind me were involved in any accidents. I turned put the car in park and turned the engine off I restarted the engine and shifted to drive the car seemed to be working again. I got past the rt. 18 ramp and got into the right lane I made it about 1.5 miles near rutgers cook college where this issue happened again, this time I got onto the shoulder before the car came to a complete stop. Once again I put the car in park and it started up again I drove it home approximately 2 miles before leaving it parked until Tuesday May 14th when my wife and I could drop it off at the local dealership, malouf Ford in North brunswick NJ. This is a major safety concern, the check engine lamp or the wrench icon do not display until this part fails. Unexpectedly losing power and stopping on one of the busiest most traveled portion of route 1 is scary. I am glad that my 2 year old son and my pregnant wife were not injured when this occurred. In addition countless other motorists were put at risk due to this part failure without warning. ***** have all reciepts and documentation if you need further information or assistance.

- Milltown, NJ, USA

Apr 272013

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving on the freeway and suddenly I lost power, the RPM's dropped to 1500-2000. I pulled over and the engine was sputtering like it was trying to die, the RPM's were fluctuating between 1000-2000. I turned the car off, waited a minute and started it again, seemed fine. I started driving again, it was ok for about 5 minutes then the same thing happened except this time the "wrench" light on the dash came on as well as the check engine light. The car had to be towed. I didn't drive the car for a few days, then tried driving it, the warning lights were off and it seemed fine. Worked great for about 2 weeks, then the same thing happened on the freeway again. I had it towed to my mechanic he said it was the throttle body and it needed to be replaced. He tried to order the part from Ford, but he was told that the part was being re-manufactured and may not be available for up to 3 months. I tried to drive my car home, but once again, the engine lost power. The only way I was able to drive it home was by driving 20 mph with my flashers on. I now have a car that I still have to make payments on that I can't drive because the part it needs hasn't been manufactured yet. Love my car, but this really sucks! there needs to be a recall!

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 152013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving down a side street toward an intersection going about 40 mph when my car appeared to die--I was able to coast slowly across the intersection into a parking lot--after 10 minutes waiting for my husband I attempted to start the car and it started right up--I followed my husband to the dealership and the problem did not reoccur--the dealership said no code had registered so there was nothing to fix--my husband researched this issue and discovered a lot of info about the throttle body issue on Ford Escapes--on May 2 was leaving the parking lot where I work and the car appeared to die again and I was able to go down my street at an idle speed to my house --we went to the dealership again and the manager acknowledged the throttle body issue but said since it didn't leave a code Ford wouldn't fix it--after several hours the dealership called and said that they had gone ahead and replaced the throttle body stating on the invoice "during visual inspection found throttle plate binding and sticking closed. Replaced"--we acknowledge that the dealership went above and beyond to fix our problem but are very concerned about the number of complaints about this issue we found on the internet--it is potentially a dangerous problem and, had I been on a freeway or in heavy traffic, would have possibly caused injury to myself or car damage.

- Baytown, TX, USA

May 102013

Escape

Intermittent vehicle stalls and surges upon entering traffic from a stopped position or while driving at highway speeds. Problem was initially intermittent and continued to operate the vehicle under this condition. However, a short amount of time/mileage later, the condition eventually progressed to the point of keeping one foot on the brake while stopped and the other on the gas pedal to keep the vehicle running as well as pulling off the roadways and interstates until vehicle was marginally operational again. Obviously this is a dangerous situation, particularly driving under high speeds on the interstate. Upon taking the vehicle to the dealership, the problem was diagnosed as a failed throttle body, with trouble codes P2111 and P2112 present in the on board computer system, indicating the electronic throttle actuator control system was stuck open and closed, respectively. There were no warning signs prior to the initial failure or prior to subsequent failures, only when the vehicle started surging did the check engine/maintenance required lights begin to illuminate. Vehicle was purchased as a certified pre-owned to which this known condition was not covered by any condition under the warranty.

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Apr 022013

Escape

While driving on the highway, the wrench light appeared and the car lost all power and was unable to move. I coasted to the shoulder. After turning the car off, it would then move. This has happened multiple times. The dealer could not located the problem. It occurred again yesterday and it is at the dealer again. This appears to be related to a common issue which is being reported and supposedly due to the throttle body but the dealer has not said that yet.

- Leawood, KS, USA

Oct 202012

Escape 6-cyl

After driving the vehicle for a couple of hours on Saturday morning on the interstate I was driving in city traffic. I made a right turn from a stopped position. As I accelerated the engine began to sputter and acted like it was not in gear. The dashboard wrench light came on and I had no response from the gas peddle and the idle was extremely rough. I coasted to a stop and turned off the vehicle. After reading in the manual about the light (power train issue) I called and had the vehicle towed to my dealer for service. As it was Saturday I had to wait for service until Monday. Monday morning I rented a vehicle from the dealer. On Thursday, 10/25/12, my vehicle was ready for pickup. When I spoke to the service adviser I was told it was the throttle body was sticking for an unknown reason and they replaced it. I was informed that this was not a power train issue, but it was an emissions issue. They also said it was not covered under the power train warranty. According to my service ticket they also charged me an additional $170 on a miscellaneous item. On 11/12/12 the wrench light came on again when I started the vehicle in the morning. I drove it to my dealer and was told it was the canister purge valve that had a leak. This was also not covered under warranty.

- Breaux Bridge, LA, USA

May 082013

Escape 6-cyl

2010 Ford Escape XLT continues to have intermittent occurrences of "stalling in motion" with no warning. We have been lucky so far that the vehicle will coast to shoulder or a parking lot. If we drive on interstate we only travel in the right lane in case we have to coast off. Vehicle then idles roughly at about 800 RPM. Vehicle has to be put in park and shut-off. Then restart so far makes vehicle go again sometimes. Vehicle may have to be restarted multiple times to get moving again. However, this is getting more commonplace and we will not allow our young inexperienced drivers to operate the vehicle due to the extreme safety risks associated with operating the vehicle. This is placing a huge burden on our family as we cannot afford to have the vehicle repaired at Ford dealer due to the high expense involved. Vehicle has check engine light with P2111 code on several occasions which specifically isolates the throttle body malfunction. This situation needs to be remedied by Ford before a death occurs as it will occur soon especially on interstates or highways.

- Delray Beach, FL, USA

May 032013

Escape

While driving on a busy road my car lost power and would not accelerate. It began shaking and the wrench symbol came on. I was able to drift over to the center lane and turn my car off. It restarted and drove decent. I went to a local mechanic who said cleaning the throttle body may help. I picked it up today and it still isn't shifting properly. I will go to a Ford dealership tomorrow. I also had the same issues with throttle body/car stalling in August 2012.

- Hendersonville , NC, USA

May 042013

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the wrench warning icon illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to be restarted after five minutes and operated as designed. The failure recurred six hours later. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the throttle body would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileage was 55,000. Updated 6/14/13 updated 07/19/2013

- Trevor, WI, USA

May 052013

Escape 6-cyl

Engine lost power and went into limp home mode. Pulled off highway turned off engine and restarted seemed normal but repeated after a few moments. No trouble code or idiot light is on.

- Norfolk , VA, USA

May 032013

Escape 6-cyl

I was accelerating up the on-ramp to the bay bridge from san francisco late this afternoon. The car was responding to my foot on the pedal as the engine revved and I gained speed, then suddenly it stopped responding and slowed to a chug with my foot still on the pedal. The wrench light illuminated as I practically came to a stop with speeding traffic slamming on brakes behind me. I put on hazards, stopped car, turned off engine, restarted car and the wrench light was off but the engine light remained on for the entire time afterwards. When I would accelerate in drive, it would limp at about 4 mph. I could not go any faster. I was able to get over to the slow lane and tried to keep going. The caltrans service patrol truck pulled up behind me and escorted me over to the left lane where I proceeded slowly to the next exit. I eventually was towed to the Ford dealer (where I bought the car) and had to leave it over the weekend. They charge a fee for diagnosis, but can't do it until Monday, so I don't know what they'll find. From what I've read, other people describe very similar symptoms. This was an extremely dangerous situation in the middle of Friday rush hour traffic. I was lucky no one was hurt. Since we bought the car new, the acceleration sound has always been loud, and sometimes passing gear sounds like it's over-shooting. After I stop accelerating, it still keeps revving. However, this is the first time it has stalled.

- Berkeley, CA, USA

Apr 192013

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the vehicle stalled and the wrench warning icon illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 30,000.

- Lavalette, WV, USA

May 022013

Escape

Vehicle dropped to idle during mild acceleration. Pulled the codes and recieved P2111 code for throttle body.

- Palm City, FL, USA

Apr 272013

Escape 6-cyl

The engine lost power, but did not stall, when accelerating from a stop light. The check engine light and a wrench symbol light appeared on the dash board. I stopped the engine and restarted it and the problem happened again just a few seconds later. I pulled over and stopped the engine and waited a few minutes then restarted it once more. I managed to drive another 2 miles and the problem happened again. It only seemed to happen if I tried to drive faster than 30mph or tried to accelerate too quickly. I tried to accelerate gingerly and keep my speed at 25mph and I managed to get the vehicle to the mechanic about 13 miles away. The problem happened once more while driving to the mechanic. The mechanic said the throttle body failed and needed to be replaced.

- Allen, TX, USA

Feb 012013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle will stall during idle, accelerating from a stoplight, decelerating, and/or driving at highway speeds. There are no warnings before this happens, and when it does happen, the vehicle has to coast to the shoulder, turned off, and then restarted before continuing. Weather has no effect as it has happened in minus 5 degrees to 80 degrees, rain, snow, humid, dry, sunny... this has happened at least 20 times in the past 3 months.

- Washington, MI, USA

Apr 252013

Escape 6-cyl

Our vehicle has stalled four times, with two happening in the last week. In all instances, the flashing wrench comes on, and the car begins to stall/surge until you pull over and turn the car off. The problem seems to reset afterward with no further problems. My wife narrowly avoided a wreck with our two toddlers in the car today. This problem is extremely unsafe and I am fearful for my family's safety.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 162012

Escape 6-cyl

Without warning, vehicle lost engine power and entered "limp mode" while driving down the interstate at between 65-70 mph. The power train warning lamp illuminated (wrench indicator light) as I pulled over to the side of the interstate. In this "limp mode" the engine continued to idle, but there was insufficient power to propel the vehicle. I switched the vehicle off and then on again with apparently normal operation after the restart. The problem occurred a second time within 500 miles of the first occurrence. I spoke with someone at a Ford dealership and they mentioned the throttle body as the likely source. I had them replace the throttle body and I've not had this problem since. I've driven over 10K miles with the replacement throttle body without this issue occurring again.

- Madison, AL, USA

Apr 212013

Escape 6-cyl

Cruising on a four lane rural highway, not using cruise control. Vehicle suddenly lost acceleration and power. Engine remained running but stepping on the gas would not do anything, the check engine light lit up. Turned hazards on, pulled over to the side (coasting), applied brake, shut car off and restarted. Car proceeded fine to destination. Second incident occurred approximately 6 hours later after car had been sitting. Proceded onto another four lane rural highway cruising at approximately 65 mph and the vehicle did the same thing. Check engine light came on, I pulled over, turned vehicle off, then restarted and proceded to my destination. As this was a Sunday, I took the vehicle into local Ford dealer, was told there was no code to read, but based on my account of the situation, they felt it was a faulty throttle body. They could not confirm until the vehicle would throw the code again. They drove vehicle for over 30 miles and the vehicle did not experience the same issue. With out confirmation of the problem, they could not definitively fix the vehicle.

- Kingwood, TX, USA