2010 Ford Escape engine problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 19 of 28)

Jul 062013

Escape 6-cyl

While entering the highway from an inclined on-ramp, acceleration began to decrease even as the gas pedal was being pressed. I was able to coast to the shoulder, stop the engine and restart. The vehicle appeared to have returned to normal function. After traveling about 25 miles on the highway, the vehicle began to lose acceleration as I tried to increase speed to change lanes. The gas pedal was pressed to the floor of the car with no results. As I pressed the pedal the maintenance light and engine light lit up on the dashboard. I was able to get to an exit ramp and coasted to a safe stop. There was no previous warning from the dashboard indicators that there was trouble. I was notified by the dealership, that the throttle body assembly had failed.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Jun 302013

Escape 6-cyl

While traveling at approximately 45mph, without any warning the vehicle lost complete power and stalled in the middle of the road. I was able to restart, drive approximately 50 feet with the same results. A wrench symbol appeared. Called a wrecker and had the vehicle towed to my dealership service department. Was informed by the service rep that they needed to replace the throttle body but did not have the part available. Nine days later today I have no answers, explanations, or transportation,

- Orlando, FL, USA

Escape 6-cyl

Driving on 2 lane hwy in 55mph zone in passing lane and came up to red light. When light changed, stepped on gas pedal and had no acceleration. Vehicle had only an idling, surging rough motion that allowed it to slowly move onto the grass median. Caused several cars to back up before vehicle was out of traffic. Restarted vehicle and engine ran a rough idle w/ the wrench and engine lights on. Ironic, that another Ford Escape owner stopped to help and told me his 2009 had just had same symptoms the week before and he told me his was throttle body and it was over $500 to repair. Diagnosis at Ford was code P2112 (throttle stuck closed). Solution was to replace electronic throttle body. Seems to be a familiar issue w/ Ford dealer as they had just gotten parts this week after being back ordered last week. Questioned customer service rep to see if new part was same manufacturer as old part. He informed me that new part was from a new manufacturer. Seems like another situation of lowest cost vendor syndrome and Ford should have to stand behind their procurement/engineering decisions. Just thankful that I did not get rear-ended while stuck in the passing lane in a 55mph zone.

- Cary, NC, USA

Jul 082013

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving 35 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle however, the failure recurred several weeks later with the illumination of T he check engine warning light. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The dealer stated that the throttle body was defective. The dealer replaced the throttle body. The failure mileage was 36,783.

- West Orange, NJ, USA

Escape 6-cyl

On 7/1/2013, I was driving my Ford Escape 2010 on the highway 50-55 mph and felt the car shift and then the accelerator failed. The car limped onto the shoulder and the wrench light was illuminated. It was towed to the dealer for repair. Technician was not available to diagnose until day 2 then told it was full body throttle electrical component and part is on back order. Still waiting for the part a week later with no end to the wait in sight. 36 month warranty ended May 21, 2013. Dealer did not offer a loaner car and after repeatedly requesting one they say they have none available. Service manager said five other cars are waiting for the part at their dealership. I mentioned that I read about the investigation on the internet and they said they will file a report with Ford corporate. As of today, 7/9 the report had not been filed. I am very frustrated with the dealership service personnel. They are not forthcoming with information. I have had to call them numerous times because they are not returning calls.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jun 102013

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the throttle body had failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 20,250.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Apr 082010

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the engine stalled with the illumination of the wrench warning icon. Upon restarting, the vehicle resumed normally. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the throttle body motor assembly was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 1,000. Updated 08/15/13

- Delanson, NY, USA

Escape 6-cyl

Defective electronic throttle body caused car to stop on a state highway. Conversation with Ford dealer and research on internet revealed that Ford and NHTSA know about this defect. There should be a recall on this item.

- White Plains, NY, USA

Jun 272013

Escape 6-cyl

The engine lost power while driving multiple times in traffic which caused a dangerous situation. There was a limited area which to pull the car off away from moving traffic. The throttle body is at fault.

- Snohomish, WA, USA

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving my 2010 Ford Escape at about 65 miles per hour on the New Jersey turnpike when all of a sudden the wrench light came on and I lost power in the engine. I was in the middle lane of a 4 lane highway and had to get over to the shoulder. The engine never shut off but would not go over 5 mph. I shut the engine down and restarted the car and everything was fine. I had 70 miles to go so I decided to try to drive on and everything was fine for 40 miles when it did it again. I got over to the shoulder, shut the engine off and restarted and was able to make it to my destination. I have an appointment to take the car to a Ford dealership to get it fixed on Thursday. The dealership told me that they were familiar with this issue and that the throttle control need to be replaced. I have looked online and have seen hundreds and hundreds of posts from owners that are having the same issue. What gives. If Ford know about this, shouldn't they take care of it!

- Union City, NJ, USA

Jul 042013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle stalls while driving, stalls while idle, RPM's spike while driving !!! scary !! codes read P2112. (throttle stuck open ) thinking bad throttle body ?

- Glenside, PA, USA

Jul 032013

Escape

I currently have a 2010 Ford Escape with 47,000 miles on it. On Wednesday July 3 2013 I was returning home from doing errands, and my Ford Escape came to a complete stop. The vehicle would not move. There were no warning lights on the dash informing me that there was a problem. Fortunately, I had just turned into the lane to my house and was not on a major highway. We had the vehicle towed to a local dealer who informed us that it is the electronic throttle body. We contacted Ford corporation and reported the issue, they said that this is not under warranty and there has been no issues with this part in the past. Ford gave us a case number and said that it would take up to four days to determine if they will cover the repair. I had my seven year old grandson with me that day, and all I keep thinking about is what if that would have happen on a busy highway with cars going the speed of 55mph and higher.

- Butler, PA, USA

Jul 042013

Escape

While driving on a two lane road doing approximately 40 mph my vehicle lost power. The car was still running but lost acceleration power. We had to coast until we found a place on the side of the road to move to.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jun 112013

Escape 6-cyl

My 2010 Ford Escape is going into limp mode while driving. It just stops responding to the accelerator and limps along until I can pull off the road and turn the car off. In the beginning, I could start the car back up and drive home. But it is beginning to happen more often and now I cannot drive it at all.

- Sandy Springs, GA, USA

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on interstate 95 in lumberton, N.C all of a sudden my 2010 Ford Escape lost power slowing down drastically almost causing a crash. Cars behind me had to slam on their brakes and going off the side of the road. I took my car to lumberton Ford were I bought it. After checking it out, I was told it was the throttle body. I was also told that their was a recall on them but not for my model year. I was told that a recall on 2009 Ford Escapes but not 2010. This I can not understand. So Ford Motor Co split the cost with me. But if its a faulty part, and they have a recall on the same part, why do I have to pay anything ?

- Lumberton, NC, USA

Jun 122013

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis where it was advised that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Saint George, UT, USA

Jun 202013

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle hesitated and then independently accelerated with the illumination of the check engine warning light. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 57,000.

- St Louis , MO, USA

Jun 182013

Escape 6-cyl

2010 Ford Escape bought new and taken back to dealership as the vehicle jumps forward. Dealership could not find problem. Within last two weeks vehicle is losing gas pedal power while driving. The vehicle does not stall. If you apply the gas the vehicle jumps forward. The computer code is P2112. Vehicle was surging forward when a dog ran across the road. Couldn't control vehicle. Very busy road and trying to get out of the way. Bumper had to be repaired and car is still losing power and surging when you apply gas.

- Whitehall, PA, USA

Escape

I made a left turn from a stop light and the car seemed to be accelerating and shifting but suddenly just started "chugging" and become very difficult to steer, almost as if the brake were on. I got as close to the edge of the road as I could and turned the car off. I looked up the symbol (wrench) in the manual and it said "powertrain fault" call your authorized dealer. It was terrifying being stuck in the middle of the street in the dark! I had my hazard flashers on and when I called my son he asked if I could start the car and get off the street. It did start up and I was able to move it about a 100 feet before it started "choking up" again. I waited a few minutes and did that again and was able to get it into a parking lot and off the street. My car was towed to the Ford dealership and when I called them the next day they informed me that it was the throttle body and that part is on back order and it may be a couple of weeks. My warranty expired in may at the three year point. Ford said it is not under warranty and will be about $400 to repair; they will not provide transportation and my insurance won't cover a rental unless I am in a collision. Ironically, had I turned left when I left the drugstore I would have been on the main street in town and between a strip shopping center and the mall and probably would have been in a wreck! from what the service man told me this is a problem they are aware of, but through no fault of my own, I have to fix the problem and cover the cost of a rental for possibly several weeks because they cannot keep the part in stock. Insult and injury! I am single and do not have anyone to chauffeur me. My son picks me up at work, I drop him off and keep his truck so I can shop or go to eat and I pick him up in the morning. Please investigate this before someone is seriously injured, as I could have been!!

- Tyler, TX, USA

Jun 212013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving along and all of a sudden my 2010 Ford Escape went from around 35 mph on a busy road to a rough idle. The engine was still running but would not respond to pressing on the gas pedal, it just stayed running on a rough idle. I continued on at 3 miles an hour waving cars to pass me until I found a safe place to pull over. I waited 20 minutes before starting the vehicle and it then ran normally. So I went on and about 5 miles further it did it again. I had to pull over and I restated the engine in just a few minutes again. It did it again and again sometimes I would only need to shut it off for a second. I took it into the Ford dealer and they charged me $125 for a diagnostic test to tell me it was the throttle body (Ford would not cover the test). They didn't have the part in stock and told me it was on back order as the Ford Chicago warehouse was out of them. The Ford service writer also told me they have replaced a number of them since his hiring just three months prior. He first told me a dirty air filter caused the part to fail, when I explained to him I know what a dirt air filter is and I don't have one. Then he said it was because I didn't drive my car enough and there was carbon buildup causing it. So I asked him if Ford was saying they don't build a good enough engine. He admitted he was just reading the print out. They wouldn't honor my power-train warranty of 5 years or 50,000 miles. I wrote a letter and personally delivered it to the Ford dealer and no one has bothered to contact me and it's been eight days now. The mechanic actually tried to sell me tires and gave me bogus reasons why the back two needed to be replaced and the back to have 7/32 left according to a real tire store's salesman and are almost like new. I have been a loyal Ford man all my life. I may never buy another Ford and it will not be from this dealership if I do!

- Elmhurst, IL, USA