2010 Ford Escape fuel system problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 12 of 16)

Jun 092013

Escape 6-cyl

My car stalled out as I was driving down the street. I had to turn off my car and restart it. It was able to restart but about 5 minutes later it did the same thing. At one point I was in the middle of an intersection. When I took it in to the dealership they told me this was happening to many other Ford Escapes as well as Ford Fusion. At this point they told me the part was back ordered for 2-3 weeks. They told me most people were just able to drive the car with the random stalling out until the parts came in.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jun 152010

Escape 6-cyl

Numerous times since we bought our Ford Escape on June 1st, 2010, we have had the car surge when starting off and having to apply the brakes quickly. This has happened since we first got the vehicle. I have also filed a report (ODI # 10520754) for the engine going to idle at highway speeds because of the throttle body needing replacing. From a dead stop, when we want to just move up a little because the car in front of us has, we have pushed the accelerator and then brake and the car surges forward like I mashed the gas harder. Several times, this has caused us to hit the vehicle in front of us but rarely causing damage. The surging has happened probably 150 times over the 3 years we have owned the vehicle. Both my wife and I have bumped into the car in front of us about 10 times only causing minimal damage and never filed on any insurance. The Ford dealer in memphis (dobbs Ford wolfchase) told me that this was a characteristic of a front wheel drive vehicle. This was our first fwd vehicle we have owned since 1994. Our vehicle now has about 60600 miles.

- Benton, AR, USA

May 072013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving down I-40 in eastern Arkansas in heavy traffic, the engine went to idle speed. Pressing the accelerator did nothing. I coasted to the shoulder of the road and the car was idling but would not drive. I turned off the car and it restarted and ran with no problems the rest of the way. On June 18th, 2013, the car did the same thing in heavy traffic in little rock on I-30 in the left lane. I coasted to an exit and took it. The car again restarted, but this time within 30 seconds it went to idle again and the check engine light came on. The odometer read 60,480 at this time. On June 19th, 2013, I took the car to landers Ford in benton Arkansas where they diagnosed the problem as needing the throttle body replaced. The part will take approximately 3 weeks to come in. As is, I cannot drive the car out of town for fear of it breaking down completely. This is our only vehicle and we both have elderly parents who we need to go see about. We will have to rent a car to do this now.

- Benton, AR, USA

Jun 172013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle (2010 Ford Escape) traveling at appx. 20mph on freeway when it started bucking, lost some but not all power. Pulled vehicle to side of freeway, shut off engine. Restarted 30 seconds later. Restart was difficult but successful. Successfully drove vehicle to dealer for repair. Dealer claims this is electronic throttle body issue. Cannot repair until part arrives in approximately one week. Very similar behavior from car in two separate incidents last week - both happened immediately upon start up in my driveway. I shut engine off each time and restarted. Restart was difficult but not successful. Similar incident 9 months ago (Sept. 2012). Vehicle traveling at appx. 65mph on freeway when it noticeably jumped, immediately lost most but not all power. Towed to dealership. Dealer could not repeat nor verify concern in 4 days / 150 miles of testing. Research has shown that NHTSA is investigating similar issues on this and other model year Ford Escapes. My experience sounds very similar to complaints from other drivers.

- Ballston Spa, NY, USA

Jun 182013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving on interstate at approximately 60 mph, engine suddenly lost power. I looked down and saw the yellow wrench light on. Car continued to coast and began slowing down. Luckily there were no vehicles immediately behind me and I had time to find a location to pull over. Pulled over and engine began to buck and sputter. Turned off ignition. Waited about 15 seconds and started engine. Wrench light was gone. Put car in gear and everything appeared fine. Completed approximately 15 miles and got to destination. This is the second time this has happened in two and a half weeks. First incident was on 5/31/13. After first incident I did some research on the internet and learned about other similar incidents caused by the throttle body. I went to the Ford dealer and ordered a new part. Dealer took the order and denied knowing anything about this issue but ordered the part for me. The part still has not come in. After repeated phone calls I was told the part is on national back order and might still take a few weeks to get in.

- Carlisle, PA, USA

May 172013

The vehicle acts like it is going to cut off, you can't give it any gas. I have to pull over, where I am at, whether it be the side of the road, middle of an intersection, or a center turning lane. I then have to put the vehicle in park, turn it off, wait about 15 seconds and start it back up. Most of the time I have to repeat this process several times before I reach my destination. It is the throttle body which we have tried to order but have been told it is on back order and they (Ford dealership) are not sure when they will get one in. This must be a huge problem in the U.S. because we have been told by Ford dealer that they have already had to replace "a bunch".

- Hope Mills, NC, USA

May 132013

We own a 2010 Ford Escape limited, purchased new June 2010. Throttle control went out first time in May 2013. Called dealer, they said just water in gas. Second time approx. 2 weeks later, happened again, took to dealer where it has remained for almost a month now. We work and we need our car. This needs to be addressed, too dangerous to drive, have been told part is back-ordered over 16,000. Consumers need relief from this.

- Dublin, GA, USA

Jun 082013

Escape 6-cyl

The auto "jumped" then decelerated immediately. I had to move from middle lane to right then off the road with only coasting-no fuel power at all.

- Bowling Green, OH, USA

Jun 062013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on the interstate in morning rush hour traffic, the vehicle suddenly lost power and throttle control (went into limp mode). I had to move over to the emergency without power and stop the vehicle. After turning the vehicle off for a few minutes, it started and ran ok. Then on 10 June, the same issues occurred again at highway speeds but in little traffic. Again on 14 June it happened 3 times within driving 10 miles again on the interstate at highway speed and in afternoon rush hour traffic. The third time an obd II dtc was issued. Upon arrival home I scanned the code and it was P2112 throttle body stuck closed.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jun 022013

Escape 6-cyl

My vehicle is a 2010 Ford Escape 6 cyc with 4 wd. This was a new vehicle purchased in early 2010 as it had 4.7 miles on it when purchased and I put most of those miles on it during the test drive. When traveling at highway speed recently in heavy traffic the vehicle suddenly lost all ability to accelerate. It was as if there was no gas pedal in the vehicle at all. No shuddering, or chugging after this occurred and absolutely no warning at all before it occurred. It was extremely lucky that no one was injured as I attempted to make my way across 4 lanes of traffic to the shoulder. The vehicle never shut off when this occurred. I then turned the vehicle off, waited, and then restarted and it seemed to run fine. I took it to the Ford dealership where it was purchased to assess the situation. I was told the battery was bad which they replaced. I questioned as to how a battery could cause this type of problem as I understand some of the vehicle mechanics and my research showed that it was more than likely a throttle body issue and I was assured that battery was most certainly the issue due to the complex nature of vehicles today and their on board computers. When the battery was replaced my wife picked up the vehicle and had just entered the interstate when at highway speed the same exact problem occurred where an accident was almost caused by her efforts to exit the road. Again no warning. When it was restarted it was driven back to the dealership. Today, it was confirmed by the Ford dealership that in fact it was the throttle body issue that my research had show it to be, and more so, the part, which is somehow not a safety recalled item by the NHTSA, is on back-order by Ford because of the shear number of these parts going bad and needing to be replaced in so many vehicles. I now own a vehicle that cannot be operated safely without a safety recall.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Jun 092013

Escape 6-cyl

Wife was driving home and her vehicle stalled. She was able to get out of traffic and into a parking lot, where she had her car towed to the nearest dealer. Dealer told her the issue was with the throttle body.

- Ashburn , VA, USA

Jun 142013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving 70 mph down interstate my 2010 Escape suddenly lost all power without warning. The wrench light on the dash came on, the gas pedal was non-responsive and the engine idled extremely rough at a low RPM. Luckily I was able to get to the side of the road - nearly caused an accident. Unsure what to do I looked in the manual and saw that the wrench light meant powertrain failure and it advised to contact dealer. I had shut the car off, but decided to try and move it farther off the road so I started it again. The light was no longer on and the engine was running smoothly. I decided to attempt to get closer to home and drove about 5 miles before it happened again. I was in the right hand lane, so I was able to pull right off the road. This incident happened two more time during a 20 mile trip. This is an extremely dangerous issue. I could have caused a horrible accident tonight and there is no warning that this is going to happen. By the sound of it the throttle body is on national backorder. I hope Ford steps up and takes care of this huge safety hazard.

- Holden, MO, USA

Jun 132013

Escape 6-cyl

I was traveling at highway speed, 60 mph, when the engine suddenly lost power and I had to coast to the side of the road. The warning indicating a problem with the throttle control/powertrain came on. I turned the motor off and restarted the engine, the light went off, and I proceeded to work without further incident. After researching on the internet and talking to my dealer, I was told it was a defective throttle body part and is on "national back order" and will be at least 2 weeks before they can get the part in. On the same day, on the drive from home from work, the exact same problem happened, but this time at about 35 mph in traffic. Fortunately no one was right on my bumper at the time. There is absolutely no warning when this happens, it just suddenly loses power.

- Jefferson City, MO, USA

Jun 132013

Escape 6-cyl

During highway driving at approximately 40 mph the vehicle suddenly lost acceleration, stalling, and the throttle/power train indicator light came on. I was forced to pull over on the side on the road, turn off the vehicle and restart. The care drove for approximately 3 more miles and then the issue recurred. I immediately proceeded to my local dealership (dealership where vehicle was purchased). During that trip, the "check engine" light came on. I was advised by the service technician that this was due to a faulty/failed throttle body but that the parts were on back order indefinitely with no word from Ford as to when they would be available. I was advised to continue to drive the vehicle in its current state until such time as the part was available.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

May 012013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle surges and then dies when stopping at a red light or stop sign. Vehicle will instantly restart after placing it in park. After first incident vehicle has constantly gotten worse. Dealer stated throttle body was defective and ordered new part which is on back order. Unable to drive the car since it is subject to die at anytime.

- Antioch, TN, USA

Apr 202013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle suddenly lost power while traveling at highway speed. I was able to steer to the side of the road and stop. Vehicle restarted and had the same issue two more times in a 40 mile trip. Vehicle has continued to have the same problem intermittently both at surface street speed and highway speeds.

- Bay City, TX, USA

May 302013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle stalled several times while in the process of making turns.

- Des Plaines, IL, USA

Jun 082013

Escape 6-cyl

While making left hand turn vehicle abruptly stalled, yellow warning light showed fault with powertrain. Vehicle was towed to dealer on 6/10/2013 still waiting for throttle body assembly three days.

- Palatine, IL, USA

May 302013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving on highway, at 65 mph. Car loses power and have to cost to a stop. Very dangerous situations trying to cross 4 lanes of traffic to get to shoulder of highway and stop safely. This happened once on 4/26/13, took to dealership, they said nothing wrong. Continued to drive until happened again. Happened on 5/30 and 5/31 repeatedly until got the vehicle to a repair shop. Repair shop has had the vehicle for 10 days due to part not available. Part is not available because this is a recurring problem for Ford and these vehicles. This is a very serious safety issue and needs to be recalled! please do something!

- Kingwood, TX, USA

May 222013

In a 35 mph zone, when accelerating after slowing to allow vehicle in front to turn, throttle stuck open & car lost power. Was able to get to side of road and restart car and proceed. Same thing happened 4 additional times that day at various speeds accelerating to speed following a stop or using an on-ramp to highway speed. Have experienced "surging" previously but dealer ignored reports as "intermittent". car was towed to dealer on 22 may and is still there awaiting a new throttle control body. Shipment of new part is estimated as 17 June. Dealer is not providing loaner or rental car as the part is not considered part of the powertrain & is therefore approx. 6 months out of warranty. Since the car cannot "go" without the throttle control body - why is it considered part of the emission system vice the powertrain? with so many cars down for this part, it should be a recall.

- Bremerton, WA, USA