2010 Ford Escape fuel system problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 14 of 16)

May 142013

Escape 6-cyl

As I was driving down the road the car just lost acceleration and the wrench light came on. I was able to get off the road and shut off the engine. I restarted the car and was able to drive home. Just today we had the same thing happen again. Ford dealer tells me there was no code so they can't order the part. However, they believe the throttle body is bad but need the code to be sure. From what I have read it sounds like they know what it is but are unwilling to fix this. They tell to just restart and keep going sooner or later it will to start and they can fix it. I am going on vacation tomorrow just what I need is this to fail at the wrong time. Does someone need to die before something is done. Sure seems Toyota wasn't given this much leeway a couple of years ago.

- North Chesterfield, VA, USA

Jan 112013

Escape 4-cyl

Even though that had happened some months before but stopped, it did it again in January of 2013. The vehicle stalled unable to be accelerated, the wrench sign appeared and all I could do was coast it to the side of the road. The engine was still running. Since this happened before, I took it immediately to Ford to have it fix. I told them what I thought it was and they confirmed it. The repaired was $304. Since Ford knows about this existing problem with the Escapes, they should have recalled this part and pay you for the repair. I like the Escape but I think Ford has not been proactive in fixing this problem.

- Orlando, FL, USA

May 102013

Intermittent vehicle stalls and surges upon entering traffic from a stopped position or while driving at highway speeds. Problem was initially intermittent and continued to operate the vehicle under this condition. However, a short amount of time/mileage later, the condition eventually progressed to the point of keeping one foot on the brake while stopped and the other on the gas pedal to keep the vehicle running as well as pulling off the roadways and interstates until vehicle was marginally operational again. Obviously this is a dangerous situation, particularly driving under high speeds on the interstate. Upon taking the vehicle to the dealership, the problem was diagnosed as a failed throttle body, with trouble codes P2111 and P2112 present in the on board computer system, indicating the electronic throttle actuator control system was stuck open and closed, respectively. There were no warning signs prior to the initial failure or prior to subsequent failures, only when the vehicle started surging did the check engine/maintenance required lights begin to illuminate. Vehicle was purchased as a certified pre-owned to which this known condition was not covered by any condition under the warranty.

- Woodstock, GA, USA

May 082013

Escape 6-cyl

2010 Ford Escape XLT continues to have intermittent occurrences of "stalling in motion" with no warning. We have been lucky so far that the vehicle will coast to shoulder or a parking lot. If we drive on interstate we only travel in the right lane in case we have to coast off. Vehicle then idles roughly at about 800 RPM. Vehicle has to be put in park and shut-off. Then restart so far makes vehicle go again sometimes. Vehicle may have to be restarted multiple times to get moving again. However, this is getting more commonplace and we will not allow our young inexperienced drivers to operate the vehicle due to the extreme safety risks associated with operating the vehicle. This is placing a huge burden on our family as we cannot afford to have the vehicle repaired at Ford dealer due to the high expense involved. Vehicle has check engine light with P2111 code on several occasions which specifically isolates the throttle body malfunction. This situation needs to be remedied by Ford before a death occurs as it will occur soon especially on interstates or highways.

May 032013

Escape 6-cyl

Was driving at speed of 65 on hwy on 5/3/2013 when vehicle lost all power, wrench light illuminated and vehicle came almost to complete stop although I had the accelerator completely depressed. Could only drive about 1 mile per hour. Pulled to side of road and tried to drive to repair shop but could not safely drive so stopped and called road side assistance. They suggested I call Ford Motor Company and when I contacted them they instructed me to turn off engine and restart which I did, wrench light went out and was then able to proceed home. Took vehicle to Ford motor repair shop and they could not find anything wrong with vehicle and they did not tell me there have been any problems with make/model. Talked to another repair shop and learned according to a technical bulletin there have been problems with throttle body of 2010 Ford Escapes manufactured from June 2009 to October 2009. This problem part was subsequently fixed on models manufactured after that time. Mine was manufactured in September 2009. This needs to be fixed on all vehicles in the identified manufactured dates since it has obviously been identified by the Ford company and Ford repair shops should advise owners of the problem. I have no other means of transportation and live in the memphis area where there is heavy interstate traffic I can not safely drive this car in multiple lane traffic since it may suddenly lose power to 1-2 mph in the middle of 70 mph traffic.

- West Memphis, AR, USA

May 062013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving to work going about 40mph when my Escape lost power to the throttle. I had to pull over and shut it off. I waited a few minutes to start it again. It started and drove with no problem for a few minutes and then the same thing happened again. After looking for similiar problems online I found that it is the throttle body.

- East Waterford, PA, USA

Apr 222013

Was just pulling out of a gas station and heading to the on-ramp to the highway when the vehicle lost power. Open wrench light came on. I was able to pull over to the side and restart the vehicle. Fortunately this did not occur while on the highway. I was traveling with my 2 children, both under the age of 2 1/2. I brought it to the dealership today. They advised me of the default in the powerthrottle. They did not tell me that an investigation is currently underway, which I feel should be their responsibility. I am being charged $500 to have it fixed. The dealership has advised me that should their be a recall then I would be reimbursed the cost. We purchased the Ford Escape because we thought it was a good product, we will go back to purchasing Japanese vehicles going forwards. Very disappointed....

- Scarborough, NE, USA

Apr 212013

Escape 6-cyl

Cruising on a four lane rural highway, not using cruise control. Vehicle suddenly lost acceleration and power. Engine remained running but stepping on the gas would not do anything, the check engine light lit up. Turned hazards on, pulled over to the side (coasting), applied brake, shut car off and restarted. Car proceeded fine to destination. Second incident occurred approximately 6 hours later after car had been sitting. Proceded onto another four lane rural highway cruising at approximately 65 mph and the vehicle did the same thing. Check engine light came on, I pulled over, turned vehicle off, then restarted and proceded to my destination. As this was a Sunday, I took the vehicle into local Ford dealer, was told there was no code to read, but based on my account of the situation, they felt it was a faulty throttle body. They could not confirm until the vehicle would throw the code again. They drove vehicle for over 30 miles and the vehicle did not experience the same issue. With out confirmation of the problem, they could not definitively fix the vehicle.

- Kingwood, TX, USA

Apr 172013

I was coming down a road to a stop light when the car shook then just idled. When I limpped over to the side of the road turned off car and when I restarted it the lite went out and it was fine.

- Johnstown, PA, USA

Apr 102013

I was turning a corner, the car lost power, when I pressed on the accelerator there was no power. The wrench and engine lights appeared. They had to replace the throttle body and I was told that it also needed a battery. However, the entire problems was with the throttle body. Since purchasing the vehicle I would every now and then feel it losing power. I thought it might be the transmission but when I took it in for them to look at they said "no we drove it and nothing seem wrong with it." At that point it would have been covered by warranty. I feel that the service people should have guest it was the throttle body since so many of these vehicles are having the same problem. I am now feeling that there was some deception. The vehicle is a 2010, this vehicle is too new for it to need such a major repair. The warranty on these vehicles is substandard. The cost of replacing the throttle body was $465.32 and the battery that I purchased at auto zone was $132. I am very unhappy with this Ford product and will not purchase another Ford. While the service people were professional did not offer information about this happening frequently. I believe that we all need to be reimbursed!

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 112013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving down the road the Escape felt like it stalled on the road with the wrench warning light. Pulled off and tried to give it gas but the car wouldn't go and the RPM's were jumping. Shut the vehicle off and called my husband and he said to shut it down and restart the car and see what happens (husband had a friend with another Escape do the same thing). I did that and it was fine. Had a shop check for codes but there were no codes present. Called Ford and was told that it was the throttle body/sensor and that its not covered under warranty (yet they new what the problem was just by me explaining it which tells me that its a known problem that they don't want to fix). Then today it did the same thing.

- Rincon, GA, USA

Oct 202012

Escape 6-cyl

While driving from central fl to asheville, nc. My 3.0 litr Escape basically lost all power a total of 6 different times on interstates 95 and 26 between savannah, ga and columbia, SC. Driving along at posted highway speed limit, engine would unexpectedly start losing power and eventually come to a stop in the emergency lane. The tachometer indicated that the engine was running at about 1000 RPM, but it would not take and thottle and barely move. Switching the engine off and restarting, reset something and allowed me to continue driving normally but only for about 20 miles before doing the exact same thing. This was a Saturday about noon and calling several Ford dealers was useless as most said they were getting ready to close, or could not look at it until Monday. Not wanting to ruin our vacation, we tried to continue with the above scenario repeating itself at least 6 more times, each time getting more and more dangerous, as traffic was heavy and each time the engine would lose power instantly and almost caused accidents before we could get off the road into the emergency lane. Finally called a Ford dealer in columbia, SC that was open till 4pm. And said they could check it out. Made it there at 3:30 pm and they diagnosed the trouble as a code P2111 throttle body stuck open. They had the part in stock and $326 later we were on our way. Vehicle only had 41K miles. Internet research has revealed several hundred complaints of the same exact trouble happening to them. There is even a youtube video showing this described trouble actually taking place, after a frustrated driver could not get any Ford dealer to recreate the trouble and take care of it, he videod it acutally happening. My calls to Ford Motor Co customer service, and my emails were a waste of time. Ford is ignoring a very dangerous problem that will get them many lawsuits I am sure. Ford needs a recall now!

- Winter Haven, FL, USA

Jul 222012

Escape 6-cyl

Spouse drove away from house and vehicle stalled on the city street about 400 feet from home. This was on a Saturday, I attempted to drive the vehicle, continued to stall. I was able to get it into my garage and the vehicle was brought to the dealership on a flat bed truck to replace the throttle body and motor assembly at my expense. (no charge for towing).

- Wauwatosa, WI, USA

Mar 312013

This is about the 10th time I have experienced this issue. In every case the car stops accelerating and the car drops into idle with the RPM's ranging from 900-1100. Shifting gears does not have an effect and you have to shut off the car to turn in back on. The amber wrench light comes on every time and the few times that it happened consecutively in one trip the check engine light came on. On my first visit to a dealership they replaced the accelerator pedal. The second time they noticed my transmission was eating its fluid so the filled up the fluid. The third time the dealership replaced my transmission and the most recent they replaced the throttle body. This seems to coincide with the open investigation PE13003. I have had the car malfunction occur when accelerating through 65 trying to get onto a highway. Had it happen twice at 15 mph in a parking lot. Had it at 45 mph in the middle of an intersection and multiple times on back roads at 35 mph. Fortunately for me I was always able to flip my hazards on quickly and the other vehicles were able to get around me while I stopped on the road, but this situation is highly unsafe especially at higher speeds on highway when you have to pull over and stop the car to fix the situation. Based on multiple online forums it seems to be mainly the throttle body that is malfunctioning, but it seems to also degrade the engine over time and can end up costing you as an owner over time due to the dealers inability to always pin point the issue.

- Enid, OK, USA

Mar 232013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving in the highway the vehicle stop throttle and show the wrench indicator light. First experience was my wife that is now pregnant. We stop using the car until I could bring it to the dealer, and it also broke down while coming here. Ford says it is the electronic throttle device and that I have to pay for it $470+tax. This was purchased here as a certified Ford and Ford does not cover it even if it is a life threatening issue. This is a very dangerous defect, especially in the highway or if passing another car in a two lane road. Ford should recall all cars with this electronic device asap and pay me for this expense. I have to pay for it now because the car even though it starts it will break down in the middle of the road for no reason. Again this is a very dangerous defect and several complaints seems to indicate the same.

- Austin, TX, USA

Mar 042013

I had approximately four occurrences of losing all throttle response, basically a complete loss of power while driving on the los angeles freeway system. Engine RPM drops to 1,000 and provides idle power only. A very dangerous situation while on a 4 lane congested highway traveling at speeds upto 65 mph.

- Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

Mar 202013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle's throttle stopped working in traffic traveling at 35 mph and had to coast vehicle to side of road where engine was idling roughly but no response to pressing accelerator pedal. Vehicle needed to be shut off and restarted several times to get throttle working again. Vehicle exhibited this problem many times over last 30 days (even at 65 mph we lost throttle on interstate and had to coast off in traffic). We have been fortunate in avoiding an accident. Took vehicle to service station which read computer reading and said "throttle body actuator" needed to be replaced and that I should go to local Ford dealer asap as there should be a recall for a 2 year old vehicle with this dangerous condition. Ford dealer informed me that there was no recall and that its just something that happens and that it would be $399 to fix. This is a huge safety issue and I will not let my family drive the vehicle until Ford fixes this issue at Ford's expense. I researched online and this problem seems to be happening a lot to many owners. This needs an immediate mandate by NHTSA to Ford to issue a recall for this life threatening defect.

Mar 192013

Escape 6-cyl

2010 Ford Escape XLT (V6) is having repeated incidents (at random intervals) of throttle failures. Vehicle suddenly has no "gas pedal", idles roughly (800 to 1000 RPM) and has to be coasted to side of road. Only way to reset is to put vehicle in park and turn off (dangerous on interstates or if in left lane and no place to pull off), restart and most cases the problem is eliminated for hours, days or more. Sometimes it can occur many times within a short drive period and then go away for hours of issue-free driving. Engine service light (wrench) came on one day after some extremely rough idling caused by issue (engine bucked a bit) and service station read computer analysis as "throttle actuator control system" was stuck open and closed. They told me that it was probably defective and dangerous and that I should proceed to my Ford dealer asap. I took vehicle to Ford dealer (3/20/13) and they acknowledged the throttle body should be replaced, but said no recall had been issued so I would have to pay for repair. I could not believe this for a 2 year old car. This is a huge safety issue and I would expect a manufacturer to fix this problem immediately and shocked at their nonchalance regarding this problem. I went home and googled the issue and I see many articles and agencies looking into this problem so apparently I am not the only one having this problem. I am not allowing the my family members to drive the vehicle due to this safety issue until it is repaired by Ford at their expense. This could be a major lawsuit (injury or even fatalities) due to the safety of having to "limp off" a busy roadway with no warning and becoming a target.

Feb 252013

Escape 6-cyl

On the morning of February 25th, I was pulling out of my garage when my car just stopped accelerating and the "wrench" light came on. It was barely idling, so I turned off the car and restarted it. It started normally, so I went on to work. That evening, I was driving on the interstate in the passing lane going approximately 75 mph when the car sort of lurched and then the "wrench" light came on and the car instantly started to slow down. I could not accelerate at all. I had to wait for traffic to move in the right lane, which was horribly dangerous, and then pull off the side of the road. I turned the car off and then restarted it. It took a second, but the car restarted and the wrench light was off, so I got back on the interstate again. That evening I started looking on the internet to see if anyone else had experienced this same problem, and that was when I saw that there was an investigation started by the NHTSA in regards to that very same problem occurring in several Ford vehicles. This was extremely dangerous because when it happens, I have no control over the speed anymore and I am at the mercy of the cars all around me. I could have easily caused an accident that day. Then, about a week later it happened again while I was on a busy city street going approximately 35 mph. Finally, yesterday morning, March 20th, it happened on the interstate again. The dealer says there are no error codes, but they said they think its the throttle body and that it will cost about $300 dollars to fix. This should be a recall. This investigation needs to be concluded and a recall needs to be issued before someone is killed. This is extremely dangerous since it happens at faster speeds, while on the interstate.

- Woodstock, WA, USA

Nov 262012

For several months, my 2010 Ford Escape would stall while driving down the road. There were times that I was going 45-55mph and my vehicle would stall. I lost power steering as vehicle shut off. I had to slow down and pull off the road and re-start the vehicle. This was very dangerous and scary. This happened probably 10-15 times until I could no longer get the vehicle started. I had it towed into a Ford dealership and had their service department analyze the problem. I first took it by an advance auto to check the service engine light. The code that came up I believe was 9000. It had something to do with emission, fuel system concerns. The service department put a throttle body and motor assembly part on it. I haven't had any problems since. They also did an eec test P2111 and found etb to be at fault and replaced. I had to pay $356.52 including labor for this. I feel from reading other information on 2010 Ford Escapes that there has been a lot of issues with stalling. I feel I should be reimbursed for my expenses.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA