2010 Ford Escape fuel system problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 3 of 16)

Oct 012013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving to Kansas from Iowa on the interstate at 65 mph we suddenly stalled and lost our power steering. We were in heavy traffic which was quite scary. Pulled over to the side of the road stopped, put the car in park and started the car back up. Continued down the road only to have it happen again within 2 minutes. This happened multiple, at least 20 times until finally the car would not respond to the gas pedal. We would step on the gas but the engine would not respond. Then we turned the car off, waited a minute and tried it again until we could get back on the road. The last 13 miles of our trip took over a hour. Took our car to the dealership the next day and they replaced the throttle body which cost us $462.57. The mechanic told us this is a recurring problem and there will most likely be a recall. The error codes were P2111 and P2112 throttle body stuck open and closed. The next day we had a tire blowout on the interstate, which was also scary and in heavy traffic, because we spent so much time on the shoulder of the road which cost us another 180 dollars. I would like to see this recalled as a safety defect.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Jan 092014

While driving at approximately 45 mph, the wrench indicator light lit up on my instrument panel and I lost power to the wheels. Had vehicle towed to dealership on 1/10/14 where the mechanics diagnosed a throttle body failure.

- Skyland, NC, USA

Nov 262012

Escape 6-cyl

As I was pulling out of my neighborhood to drive to work, the car barely made it into the lane of traffic before it stalled completely. I made it to the curb and was quite shaken by this incident. No warning lights had come on. This was very startling to me. After a few minutes, the car started but it shook as I shifted it into drive. I decided to drive with great care to the dealership. On the way there, as I was on an interstate road, it stalled again and I was frightened. I made it to the right curb. It was storming and I called my insurance company for a tow truck to deliver the car to autonation Ford jacksonville at 10720 philips highway in jacksonville, fl (904-292-3325). The problem was diagnosed as a faulty throttle body. The repair costs totaled $498.86.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Dec 102013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving along at 35-40 mph, in traffic, and the gas pedal completely quit! and a little yellow wrench showed up on my dashboard. No other lights showed up. A complete failure of the gas pedal ensued. I had to coast through traffic to the side of the road. I found that if I turned off engine and restarted car, the "wrench" went away and I had power until the next time it happened. Mechanic said this was "limp mode." I took it into dealer but they could not get the "code" to determine the problem. Over two weeks this became more frequent and after the 4th time, the "check engine" light came on. They finally could get the code and it was a total throttle body failure! I stopped driving the car and am waiting for the part. At this time, I have an appointment for repair on Monday, Dec 30th. This repair will cost me approx $200-$400 dollars! I'm very upset, of course, but thankful that this didn't cause an accident. I am 64 years old and a single woman!

- Moses Lake, WA, USA

Jun 232013

Escape 6-cyl

Engine simply stopped operating in midst of traffic and immediately decelerated....then resumed operation but vehicle unable to move faster than a crawl....then stopped again....then resumed again. Was able to exit freeway and reach gas station. Turned off vehicle and called aaa for emergency road assistance. Vehicle was towed to Ford dealership. Ford replaced the throttle body and motor asy which was on backorder for 2 weeks. Today, December 26 2013 the symptom has resurfaced. The engine simply stopped in the midst of traffic. Was able to pull out of the flow of traffic. Car restarted and was able to continue driving home.

- Sanford, FL, USA

Dec 132013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle failed to accelerate, lost power and it was necessary to coast to a stop on the side of the interstate. Vehicle continued to idle very roughly. When I depressed the gas pedal the motor would not rev up and remained at an idle. Necessary to tow vehicle to dealership and I was informed it would be necessary to replace the throttle body.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Dec 062013

Escape 6-cyl

Was driving to work and car stalled. Hit the gas and nothing happened. Pulled over on shoulder, turned car off, and restarted. Immediately took car to dealership and fuel throttle body malfunction was diagnosed as the cause. Can I get a refund, as this seems to be a common problem?

- Waco, TX, USA

Dec 032013

Was driving the vehicle on the interstate at about 60 mph and exited safely. Went through typical stop-and-go rush hour traffic for about 2 minutes until reaching work, in which the campus' speed is set to 25 mph throughout. Vehicle was traveling on work campus a little under 30 mph. Suddenly, the car stalled and the battery and oil warning lights had come on. Steering the vehicle to a safe parking place was difficult as the steering wheel had become tight. Once safely parked, the vehicle was turned off and after 5 seconds turned back on. The engine started up normally. Started driving the vehicle closer to where it was needed to be parked and the engine stalled again after 1000 feet and the steering went tight again. Turned off the vehicle again and after 5 seconds attempted to turn it back on. The engine had trouble starting but after an abnormal amount of time trying to turn over, the engine did. Was able to get the vehicle in the appropriate parking area. Vehicle has full tank of gasoline, 2000 miles over oil change recommendation by dealer, and factory battery. Vehicle has never been off-road but has been subject to easy snow accumulations since purchased from dealership.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Nov 282013

Driving on freeway, at about 65mph, when all of the sudden the engine stalled and power was cut dramatically from the engine. Unable to control speed and instantly started stopping. Had to pull over sharply and unsafely on the side of an on-ramp narrowly having car behind us miss us. Turned off vehicle and had to wait about 20 seconds before restarting the car. It then worked ok. Happened several times on one trip of about 20 miles. Took to a dealer and they diagnosed it as the throttle body needing to be replaced.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Sep 062013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving down road at 55mph, suddenly the gas pedal was unresponsive (no power). Pulled to the side of road, shut car down and waited approx. 5 min. Then restarted car. Ran ok. Since then this has been a recurring event. Recently stalled on railroad tracks as my wife was driving to work. Would like to see Ford step up and recall before someone losses their life in an accident. This is a fairly expensive repair, approx. $650 from what we've read on line. Seems to be happening with more frequency since first occurrence.

- South Bend , IN, USA

Nov 162013

Escape 4-cyl

On a city street headed out of town in the morning. Started to pull out from a stop sign into traffic when the engine began to run really rough. Stopped just into intersection. First thought it might be water in the gas. Vehicle would idle very rough between 500-800 RPM. Put isopropyl dry gas in the better after 35 minutes. Vehicle would not move! called the dealership and ended up having it towed. Dealer called on Monday to tell me the throttle body had failed and needed replaced. Cost was $417.63. Made a comment to the service manager that the apparatus should not have gone out at 31,000 miles (vehicle out of warranty by date). The gentleman politely avoided any answer. Today I googled the problem only to find out that this is not an uncommon occurrence with 2009-2010 Escapes, and the condition is under investigation. Add my name to one of the lucky recipients!

- Salem, OH, USA

Nov 042013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving down the road at about 45mph, the car stopped acknowledging that I was pushing the gas pedal. The car steadily slowed down, regardless of how much I pushed on the gas pedal. I ended up veering off into a parking lot and shutting the car off. I waited about 5 minutes and restarted it. It acted normal and I resumed my driving. It has happened about 5 times since then as well. Thankfully I haven't been on the highway and have had a place to pull off the road.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Nov 022013

Escape 6-cyl

I was traveling West on I-10 from tallahassee, fl intending to go to pensacola, fl. I was driving the 70 mph posted speed limit. As I neared exit 192 @ quincy, fl I heard a noise from under the hood that sounded like a clunk. The car's engine dropped below 1000 RPM and gradually slowed down. I pulled off to the emergency lane. The Escape was towed to havana Ford in havana, fl on sat., Nov. 2, 2013. The service dept. Opened Monday and I was informed that the throttle body broke. I had the throttle body and gasket replaced.

- Havana, FL, USA

Nov 052013

Escape 6-cyl

While traveling down the highway at approximately 70 mph, the car suddenly loses power. The vehicle becomes unresponsive to throttle controls. Vehicle must be pulled off of the highway, onto the shoulder. The vehicle key must be cycled to reset the system. Being an active investigation, there should be known cases of the electronic throttle body failing on these cars. It is a safety concern, and the drive by wire design of the vehicle does not allow a throttle body to be cleaned.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Oct 312013

Driving about 2 miles from my home the auto began to be sluggish. Then it would only go about 5 TO10 miles an hour and then barely going at all. Auto was towed to mechanic and diagnosed that the throttle body was the issue and it was replaced.

- Chatsworth, GA, USA

Oct 302011

After stopping at a light on a highway I proceeded to turn left and pressed the accelerator and the engine cut out. I had to coast across the highway.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Nov 012013

I was driving into work on a 5 lane, heavy traffic road going about 45 mph when my car suddenly lost all of its engine power. The radio, lights were still working, the car simply wouldn't accelerate and actually slowed down considerably to a point where I was basically stopped on the road. I was able to coast into a turning lane so I was at least out of the main traffic lane. I turned the car off, started it again and as I prepared to make a left turn to get into a parking lot I lost all acceleration again and barely made it out of the intersection. I was able to put the car in neutral and coast it into a parking lot. My car required a tow to a local dealership and the issue was an electronic throttlebody failure. I'm extremely thankful that I didn't make it onto the freeway because if I stopped in that traffic I'm not sure I would have been able to avoid a major accident.

- Cold Spring, KY, USA

Oct 312011

Escape 6-cyl

After waiting for traffic signal, I began my turn left. Just past the intersection, I lost power with sort of a chugging motion in the vehicle. I was able to get off the road. The indicator on the instrument panel was of a small wrench, indicating throttle control/powertrain in the manual. I called the dealer and was able to start the car and drive in. The charge for installing ds7Z 9E926 D (throttle body and motor as) was $400.46 plus tax. With less than 38000 miles on this vehicle, I did not expect to have this kind of repair.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Oct 172013

Escape 6-cyl

I was taking the wife home from the hospital after she had surgery and the car stalled on me while I was pulling out into a busy highway and we were nearly hit. On the way home the car stalled and went into limp mode numerous times and we had to call a tow truck. The culprit was a malfunctioning throttle body assembly which the dealer told me was very common. I cant believe there hasn't been a recall on this as it is very dangerous. The car just stalls at random moments and the only way to get going again is to put the car in park, turn it off, and start it back up. The repair bill was $535.29 + towing costs.

- Greenwell Springs, LA, USA

Oct 032013

Escape 6-cyl

Had to replace throttle body on October 28,2013 after many times of truck stalling at speeds up to 40 mph. Most of the issues occurred at speeds of less than 25 mph. The power train warning light (wrench light) and check engine light both would be illuminated. The car could be restarted after each issue.

- San Francisco, CA, USA