2010 Ford Escape fuel system problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 6 of 16)

Aug 232013

Escape

I was driving home with my five year old son when I noticed my vehicle seem to be running rough. First, I noticed a rough idle when I stopped at a stop light. Then, while turning accross on coming traffic the vehicle looses all power with no throttle response and the engine light illuminated. At this point I was still in the way of on coming traffic and could not accelerate to finish the turn. Thank god I did idle to safety. I then stopped on the side of the road and put the vehicle in park and observed a very rough idle and no throttle response at all. I shut off the vehicle and restarted it after thirty seconds and it ran normal again with the engine light off. I immediately took the vehicle to a parts store to have the the ECM scanned for trouble codes. The tech could not recover or read any codes at that time. I found that troubling at the time but found out later that not all scan tools can access stored codes. I had this occur twice the next day while driving to work. I then called my local Ford dealer to schedule service and when I told him the symptoms he immediately knew the problem. I ordered a new throttle body assembly per their instruction and asked if there are any recalls or tsb's on this issue if it's that common. The dealer checked and found a tsb on this problem but no recalls. I personally feel this is definately a safety concern and should treated as that before someone does get hurt or worse, killed in an accident. I called Ford customer service the next day to file a complaint and find out why they aren't being proactive with this serious issue. I was told that they have no known safety recalls or tsb's at this time. I was also told that this problem was not something they had encountered very often. Since then, I have researched this and found that it is very known and being investigated at this time. Thank you.

- Earlville, IL, USA

Aug 282013

Escape

My service engine light came on. I took the car to the shop to get it checked out & they did a smoke test & determined that my car was leaking gas vapors from the vapor lock system - to be specific the fuel filler area. It cost me $500 to fix. The shop said my car was leaking a lot of gas vapors which is dangerous. Thank goodness I dont smoke. There seem to be quite a few of these complaints & there should be a recall on this. Aparently from what I have been told - Ford has known about this issue since 2006 & yet they still put them in vehicles.

- Dracut, MA, USA

May 292013

Escape

The vehicle lost power while driving at relatively constant speed. The engine hesitated, car did not accelerate when the gas pedal was applied. The engine then stalled. I pulled over, restarted the engine, and the car seem to run normally after this first incident. The vehicle has continued to intermittently have the same issue, although it may need to be restarted a few times before acting normal again. The vehicle was towed because it stalled and seem unable to make the drive home. The engine throttle was cleaned in August by a mechanic, but stalled repeatedly 3 days later. Using dry gas and keeping the tank nearly full has not solved the issue either. My experience seems similar to many complaints found at this website and other places on the internet.

- Dracut, MA, USA

Aug 232013

Escape

While driving on the freeway, the engine cut out and spit and sputtered. Vehicle restarted and went about a mile and did the same thing. At that point a tow truck was called and vehicle was towed to a service shop where the throttle body was replaced.

- Chesterland, OH, USA

Aug 262013

Escape

While accelerating onto the highway, the vehicle lost all power and forward motion. It went into "limp" mode and I had to pull over. Once I shut the vehicle off and restarted it, the vehicle was fine. After the Ford dealer's inspection, it was deemed that the throttle body is the culprit, and needs replaced.

- Palmetto, FL, USA

Aug 012013

Escape

My 17 yer old daughter was driving at highway speed and vehicle lost power and immediatley slowed quickly. There were vehicles in front and in back of her at the time and since the vehicle slowed on it's own, there were no brake lights to warn traffic around her that she was slowing. Very scary situation. Ford dealership diagnosed the problem as a bad throttle body, with a 2 month wait for the part due to high number of Ford vehicles with this problem (part on backorder). I am guessing with a 2 month wait on a part, there are thousands of Ford owners who have had similar experience. Thought this was a joke, but after calling other Ford dealerships and checking the internet soon found out my duaghters experince was not unique.

- Eagle Lake, MN, USA

Jul 182013

Escape

My throttle body broke which put the car into safe mode.this happened 5 times before I could get it repaired at the Ford dealership.the dealer told me he replaced 3 that same day.

- Washington, MI, USA

Aug 192013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at approx 65mph on freeway, the vehicle's throttle dropped to idle speed. The accelerator would not allow the car's RPM's to increase despite pushing it to the floor. The car did not stall, but rather was in a sudden state of idle.the "wrench" icon flashed on, then "check engine light" and my car went from 65 to 5mph in a matter of seconds. After car's ignition was shut off, the car restarted without problem. However, the incident happened again after reentering freeway nearly causing a serious accident. Dealership was able to confirm that the throttle needed to be replaced, but not under powertrain warranty. Research shows that this is a common problem. This is very dangerous and needs to be recalled asap.

- Belmont, CA, USA

Jul 052013

Escape 6-cyl

July 5, 2013 I was driving hfrom St simons island, ga to florence, SC. I was on a connector bridge when the vehicle lost power but the engine kept running. I steered the vehicle to the side of the road, parked it, and turned off the engine since I could not get the vehicle to move. When I started the engine again, it started up, and I had power so I drove for about a mile, and a repeat occurrence happened. Again, I turned off the engine, and on restart was able to get the vehicle moving. I found a meineke repair shop in brunswick, ga and pulled in there. They checked the vehicle out but could find nothing wrong (no dash lights appeared). So I drove the vehicle to florence without further incident. A short time later, on July 27, 2013, I was once again in St simons island and the vehicle lost power with the engine running. I had to steer the car to the side of the road, turned off the engine, then started it up again. I was able to get the vehicle to the island auto repair shop (this time the "check engine" light was on. They cleaned the part, said it should work fine, use fuel injector cleaner, and sent me on my way. On August 19, in florence, SC, the same thing occurred again, only this time the vehicle was unable to move at all, even though the engine kept running. I had to call aaa, who had it towed to millers foreign auto repair shop, where it still sits waiting on a new part. They have told me it's the electronic throttle body assembly w/ wiring harness and sensor that failed, and I am waiting on the part for so long because so many of these have failed. I am one of thousands whose vehicle is affected by this flawed technology. This is a dangerous condition for consumers to have to put up with, as Ford is not going to voluntarily correct this issue. Please issue a recall before this flawed technology kills someone. Thank you.

- Florence, SC, USA

Aug 242013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at approximately 70 mph the engine suddenly cut out, there was no response to the gas pedal. A blinking yellow wrench symbol came on the dash board. We coasted to a stop on the side of the road, where I switched the car off and after a couple of minutes started it again seemingly to be fine. The next day it happened again, 70 mph on a toll road, again it restarted after a shutdown. This time we went about 3 more miles down the road and it cut out again. 2 more times after that, before getting it back home. It was the throttle body unit according to the failure codes, I have replaced it at a cost of $295.

- Irving, TX, USA

Jul 152013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving at 60mph motor shut off no lights no sound, no warning.

- Edwards , MO, USA

Aug 092013

Escape 6-cyl

We were traveling at 55 mph on the highway when my Ford Escape suddenly stalled and would no longer respond when I pressed the accelerator. My SUV slowed to a stop where I cut it off. Unfortunately, I did not have enough speed to pull off to a safe location and was stuck in the middle of the very busy highway where I was almost sideswiped by a tractor trailer truck. It was a very scary situation to say the least. This has since happened 3 more times, the most recent being yesterday August 23 on an interstate overpass in rush hour traffic. Again I did not have enough speed to pull off to a safe location and was stuck in the center lane of the overpass. I was able to restart my car soon after stalling out and was able to an auto store that pulled the code of P2112, which is the throttle body code. Of course my warranty ran out in June 2013 and Ford estimates the repair to cost $500 minimum. And sadly, I am now afraid to drive my Escape as I fear it will get me into an accident. I ask that Ford take responsibility for the obvious flaw in throttle body and make the recall!

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 212013

Escape 6-cyl

Car would occasionally lurch forward while driving, then on August 21st 2013, car lurched forward then felt like it stalled out. Took it to Ford dealership they stated that the throttle body went out and needed to be replaced.

- South Lake Tahoe, CA, USA

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle abruptly stalled with check engine light on, at highway speed. An accident was barely averted. Car was taken to dealership and diagnosed as a faulty throttle body. The defective throttle body was replaced. Vehicle only has 32K miles. Research shows that this is a common problem.

- Warren, MI, USA

Aug 212013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving the vehicle normally when suddenly lost all power (limp mode) the lady in the vehicle behind me almost hit me then she went off the road herself. I had to pull over I shut the engine off and went to check on the lady in the other vehicle and luckily her and her vehicle were fine, unfortunately I did not get her name or number. When I restarted the vehicle it operated normally, the throttle was responsive again. I drove about 3 more miles and it happened again as I was making a left hand turn. Again shut the engine off and restarted again operated normally. I later took the vehicle to a local car parts store and had them check the codes. The codes they got were P2111 and P2112 throttle body stuck open, stuck closed respectively. I contacted a Ford service center and they informed me that they can schedule service next week but they have so many of these bad that the parts are on back order. Since this caused a near miss I felt compelled to report it as well as it seems to be a pretty sizable issue since the parts are difficult for Ford to get.

- New Lexington, OH, USA

Escape

Driving on the highway at a maintained speed, my vehicle illuminated a maintenance light, and within seconds the gas pedal was not working. I was on a slight hill at the time so I still had some momentum, enough to pull over out of the traffic. The steering, brakes, and everything else were working fine, but nothing happened when I pressed the gas. When I put the car in park there was some stuttering, almost like it was stalling out, coming from under the hood. I turned the vehicle off and waited a few moments. When I turned it back on, it took an extra 2-3 seconds to start up, but seemed to be running fine, and I drove to work, then right to the dealer after work for repairs. They told me it was the electronic throttle body, and that it is now running fine since they replaced the throttle body, and I am going to pick it up after work today.

- Derry, NH, USA

Escape 6-cyl

I bought vehicle 2010 Ford Escape in August of 2011. In February of 2011 I was driving down a city road going about 30 mph and my Escape starting stalling out would not accelerate wrench light came on. I pulled into a parking lot and it was idling rough like it was going to stall out. I put my Escape into park pushed slightly on gas pedal it made no difference with my foot on the brake I switched it into gear made no difference. I put car back into park and turned it off. Waited a few minutes started it. It started right up with no problems. I ran fuel cleaner through it. I did not have anymore problems until Thursday Aug 15th 2013. I was driving down city road going about 30 mph it did the same thing again. Started stalling out would not pick up acceleration running rough wrench light came on pulled into parking lot barley idling sputtering like it was going to stall I put car into park turned engine off waited a few minutes. Turned back on. My car started fine ran fine like nothing happened again. So today 8/20/13 im going down busy traffic country two lane road no where to pull car off on side safely. And again all of a sudden going about 35 mph I loose acceleration car starts sputtering I cant accelerate running rough wrench light came on I coasted up to stop sign as I had nowhere to safely pull car off road and put car in park turn off engine started engine right back up car ran fine. This is a safety issue. I thought at first my fuel filter may be the problem but as im reading the 2010 Ford Escapes have a guaranteed lifetime fuel filter inside the fuel tank cannot replace it. So as I was reading more in depth I see a lot of people having the same problem as I am with their 2010 Escapes. I now see the problem is a throttle body issue defect and an investigation is going on. Ford needs to do something about this before people wind up in crashes over this.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Aug 182013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle stalled upon acceleration from stop, and lost all throttle function. Surges at idle, and intermittently stalls. Throttle failed the next day at highway speed. Same symptoms as the failed throttle body sensor issue that was fixed by October 2009, but my Escape was built in December '09 after the problem was supposedly fixed.

- Boston, MA, USA

Aug 162013

Escape

I was driving down the road when my gas pedal stopped working and my car would not accelerate. After turning the car off and back on, the problem recurred four times before I finally called a tow truck. The repair shop diagnosed the problem as the throttle body stuck in an open position. The part is now on national back order. It is an expensive and, due to the back order, long repair.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 122013

Escape

On multiple occasions, our newly bought used vehicle (a 2010 Ford Escape with less than 60,000 miles, ) had stalled on my party while driving. When the vehicle is in drive the car loses the ability to accelerate. Some of the times all we had to do was restart the vehicle and it would get us back home. The occurrences of the problem happened more frequently when driving on a freeway or highway.

- Duluth, MN, USA