2010 Ford Escape fuel system problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 8 of 16)

Aug 022013

Escape 6-cyl

When driving the vehicle, the accelerator became useless and I had to coast to the side of the road, turn the ignition off and back on and everything was fine at that point. This happened on 4 different occasions before I was able to get the vehicle to the local Ford dealer for an analysis of the situation. The dealer replaced the throttle body and charged me $159.13 for the part and labor.

- Shelby, NC, USA

Aug 022013

Escape 6-cyl

Car stalled while driving at 40 miles per hour.this situation happened after I took the car to the dealership for a fuel service. The car stalling was awful. It was the third time it happened during that week. The engine service soon sign went on after the incident. I was driving my car with my 2 years old daughter in the backseat. It was a dangerous situation. I was lucky not to be hit by other cars. I brought the car to the service again and they said it was a failure of the throttle body. They charged me 600 dollars for a replacement. I am not happy with this situation because it looked like a malfunction. The car is under 20000 miles and I keep it in tip top condition.

- South Bend, IN, USA

Aug 042013

Escape 6-cyl

After the April 30, 2013 (54,367miles) incident, the vehicle was repaired by the Ford dealer and on Aug 4th (58,700+/- miles), the same symptoms appeared while driving on open freeway 65 mph with rolling hills. The vehicle experienced a power drop and surge with automatic transmission gear shifting. A warning light--mechanic wrench turned on and then there was a different engine/transmission sound and it would not shift out of gear by itself so we put it into neutral and rolled to a stop. The car was towed approx 70miles to the same Ford dealer near our home. We are waiting for the service dept to return our calls and provide the detail technical information of fault codes etc and how they plan to repair it again. Same condition, appears to be an engineering design or manufacturing defect of specific components, (throttle body, transmission).

- Valencia, CA, USA

Aug 012013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving down interstate 45 in houston, car was running, but no power from the gas pedal. Needed to coast to an exit where I stopped completely. I needed to power down the car completely then restart the car before the gas pedal worked again. This has happened twice. The other time was about a month earlier. Ford service department said it was a defective "throttle body". something like that shouldn't fail so early. I was just out of my warranty as well.

- Spring, TX, USA

Aug 012013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on 3 lane highway (in traffic) car bucked and lost gas pedal (did nothing when pushed) I was in center lane engine went to idol with no engine control looked in mirror seen truck lights ( very scary ) when U can't do nothing luckily able to get off road. Turned off engine an re started it when a short distance then same thing happened. Did this 7 times in less than 7 miles luck I made it to my drive way (had towed to dealer next day) waiting for it to be fixed. This is a death waiting to happen.

- Glendora, NJ, USA

Jun 062013

Escape 6-cyl

While traveling on a state highway the vehicle suddenly lost power although it was still running. The powertrain light came on. We limped off the highway. After turning the vehicle off and turning it back on, the vehicle was able to run again. The light goes off and stays off until the next incident. The incidents happen very frequently now, and because of this, we are unable to use our vehicle at all. This has happened with me right in the middle of an intersection. We had a code run and have been told it is the throttle body, which is apparently a common problem. We have been unable to obtain the part to repair it so far.

- Jasper, AL, USA

Jun 172013

Escape 6-cyl

I had a problem with acceleration where the Escape would cough and buck when trying to accelerate. At that time ( a couple of weeks after purchase), I took it back to the dealer and they sent it for a "software update". it didn't buck continually after that, but was still gutless and slow. Yesterday 8/2/2013, I was at a stop light and tried to accelerate and the car just wouldn't go. Engine still running, but no power to propel forward. "wrench" light came on dash and I coasted to repair garage at corner. I restarted engine and light went away. Garage employees recommended I keep driving to see if light comes back on. I continued on my way and was turning right and as I made the turn, the Escape completely lost power. Thankfully I had a shoulder to coast on to or I would have been hit by oncoming traffic. This time, "wrench" light and "engine" light came on. I had to be towed to a Ford dealership and the repair was made there. The diagnosis and correction was for a throttle body. From my repair slip it says "10foz retrieved codes P2111/P2112 - faulty after researching the problem online, I see it has been an issue with others. Mine was fixed under the warranty. I am reporting the problem just in case you are keeping records of how many Ford Escapes have had this problem.

- Bear, DE, USA

Jul 302013

While on a two lane road driving 40 mph, the engine in my 2010 Ford Escape started to sputter as if it was going to die. It did not, but immediately after the incident I was no longer able to accelerate my vehicle. The engine did not rev, the car remained on but just coasted. I pulled over to the side of the road, turned off my car and turned it on again. I was then able to drive for approximately 7 minutes until the same problem occurred again. The next day I experienced the same problem on a 4 lane road going approximately 45 mph. This is a serious problem and could have had a fatal outcome. Ford needs to recall the throttle body for all affected vehicles immediately!!

- Huntley, IL, USA

Jul 122013

Vehicle appears to be stalling out at random times. When this happens, there is no power from the gas pedal and no RPM movement. An orange wrench light comes on when the failure occurs. Must pull over and turn engine completely off and restart to correct. The engine sputters for several seconds upon restart before turning back on. This process often has to repeated multiple times throughout the course of a single trip. Vehicle was taken to a local auto care shop on 8/1/13 and it was determined the throttle body assembly is malfunctioning. Was told by the service representative that there is a national back order on the part from Ford and it could take up to a month to get the part in. The quote for the repair was $420 (including the cost of labor). Upon further research of the issue over the internet it was determined that over 725,000 complaints have been filed over the same issue on the Ford Escapes, yet no recall has taken effect.

- Roanoke , VA, USA

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving down a local street then I was approaching a train crossing, just before crossing the tracks, my car went limp and I could no longer accelerate. I was only traveling 5-10mph so when my car stopped, part of my car was over the train tracks. I could not move my car for about a minute while I parked my car and turned everything off, including opening the car door to shut the computer off. Then after resetting the car, it struggled to start up but started and drove as usual. Within the last two days, my car shut down during driving 5 times and when re-starting, it did not indicate that there was a problem. Finally the check engine icon turned on and I was able to take it to the dealership to check the code. It turned out that the throttle body needed replacing. My car is only 3 years old with average mileage. This could have been an terrible accident if there was a train and I was in a state of panic.

- Roselle, IL, USA

Jul 222013

Escape 6-cyl

Wife was driving vehicle 6 miles from home, vehicle began stumbling and would hardly run. Made it out of 4 lane road to safety. Wrench symbol showed till engine was turned off. Shut off vehicle and restarted after approx. 5 minutes, continued 1 mile to destination. After vehicle set for 2 hours drove it 7 miles home and vehicle limped up driveway. Wife was afraid to drive vehicle until 7/28/2013 when we tried it again. I can not drive vehicle since having a stroke but was with her. We drove vehicle to ymca and it went to limping after 9 miles, shut off and let set for 5-6 minutes. Vehicle ran ok for an additional 5 miles to Y. started home after 1 hour at Y. vehicle ran approx 5 miles in 45 and 30 mph speed limit area. It started limping approx. 500 feet from stop light. It went in limp mode 4 more times in the last 9 miles to get home. Luckily the traffic was not real heavy late in afternoon and we made it home without any accidents; only a very stressful ride home. Vehicle now showed engine symbol. We read the fault code and it was P2111 or faulty throttle body. This is a very expensive repair which dealer said was out of warranty at 36K. Miles.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Jul 312013

Escape 6-cyl

My vehicle stalled out twice so I took it to the dealer and have been told I have to replace the throttle body.

- Westerville, OH, USA

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at interstate speed vehicle lost all power and I was forced to pull over and stop. Engine did not quit running, just nothing happens when gas peddle is pushed. Shut off engine, then restarted it then ran find for a while, then does it again. Very dangerous situation. On the 30 mile drive home this occurred about a dozen times. My mechanic is replacing the throttle body as I'm writing this. As I need my vehicle to get around I can't wait for a mechanic told me in my case the throttle body stuck closed. If it would have been stuck open it would accelerate instead of loosing all power. I don't want to thing what might have happened if that were the case.

- Akron, OH, USA

Escape 4-cyl

The car has twice this past week stalled while in motion. Once at 55 mph once at 65 mph. I had to stop, pull over on road side. Place in park. Then restart.

- Hillsborough, NC, USA

May 242013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving in light traffic on the interstate freeway, just coming over a hill, the engine lost power. Multiple power loss surges and the engine light came on so the Ford Escape was allow to coast down hill to the next exit ramp. Once at the bottom of the off ramp, the ignition was turned off and a tow truck was called. To move the car out of the way, the engine was restarted and it was noticed that another light was also turned on indicating something mechanical (transmission) had also failed. The car was barely able to move in 1st gear to clear the side of the road till the tow truck arrived. Later the mechanic read the trouble codes and said the throttle body failed and the transmission torque converter was seriously damaged. Fortunately the traffic was not heavy and there was opportunity to exit the freeway without crashing.

- Valencia, CA, USA

Jul 282013

Escape 6-cyl

While making a right turn in my 2010 Ford Escape the car loss all acceleration. The next morning it happened twice more. My mechanic took the car & attached to the computer and the code P2112 appeared. He cleaned the throttle body and took a test drive. It lost acceleration 10 more times. This is a disgrace and the part must be recalled by the Ford Motor Company!

- Lynbrook, NY, USA

Jul 282013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway and suddenly the wrench lit up and my car began to slow down, even though I continued to hold down the gas pedal. I was able to get the side of the highway since it was late at night, but during rush hour, I would have created a pile up. The car started fine about 10 minutes later, but I took it to the dealership and was told that it was a throttle body problem and they are on back order and I would have to pay for a rental car or drive a car around that could randomly stall for the next week. I am currently waiting for the parts to come in.

- Sanford, FL, USA

Jul 182013

While driving down the interstate, the car started to de-accelerate. The accelerator did not respond and I went into limp mode. Car was towed to repair shop. It started right up and no problem was found - didn't register on the computer and wrench warning light went off. Ten days later, the car did the same thing, this time in the city. Different repair shop diagnosed the problem as the throttle body. Ford dealers in the area told me there were 3700 of these parts on back order! gee, maybe there is a problem with massive numbers needing to be replaced! a recall needs to be initiated. My incident on the interstate almost resulted in an accident.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jul 272013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving from Michigan to Missouri with daughter and granddaughter on expressway at 70 mph my vehicle had a wrench light come on dash board along with engine light. I was unable to accelerate. Pulled over to side of road and turned vehicle off and then restarted and proceeded to drive. It did this repeatedly. I pulled off freeway and went to autoparts store that told me that it had to do with throttle body sensor and needed to take to dealer, which I did today. I am on vacation and car is at Ford dealership in camdenton, mo. I don't know outcome yet as dealer not able to look at vehicle until tomorrow.

- Lake Orion, MI, USA

Jul 192013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at highway speeds 65 mph, my cars engine suddenly stopped running. This has happened more than once at different speeds. Nearly caused a pile up.

- Jackson , NJ, USA