2.5

2010 Ford Escape fuel system problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Sep 012013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Driving on I80 West, when suddenly I lost power and the car started to decelerate, looked at the instrument panel and saw the "wrench" icon lit. Pulled off of the interstate as the car continued to lose speed and limped into a service station parking lot. Turned the ignition off and consulted the user manual and found the issue related to the "powertrain/throttle control". turned the ignition back on and all of the warning lights went off after starting the car. Headed back to home via side streets and had one more incident after approximately 3 miles. Followed the same procedure as before and was able to make it the rest of the way home (6 miles). If this had happened out in the country miles from nowhere I would have been extremely worried. Parked car until after the holiday and called the Ford dealership to arrange service. Took car to Ford dealership this morning(9/4) and was told later that the throttle body was bad. New one was back ordered to October 26th. Service technician(kyle) told me I couldn't drive the car because it was a safety hazard. Part is not covered under extended warrant, so a rental car will not be covered. I can't afford $1800 for a rental, so now what? dealer sympathetic, but unable to help.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

May 012012

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

I just exited the pa turnpike when my truck began to sputter. The rpms were fluctuating. I was able to coast off to the side of the road, but am glad this happened after I got off the turnpike where I was traveling at 65 mph and had no shoulder to pull off to. It happened twice this week. Monday, September 2nd, as I was traveling apx 55 mph on pa rt 422 and again the following day as I was driving on county line rd at apx. 40 mph. Each time the same thing would happen. My vehicle would sputter and rpms would fluctuate as the engine died. I was almost rear ended by several cars the last time since there was not enough shoulder for me to get my vehicle completely off the road as the engine died. All temperatures were fine and my fluids are good. I took my vehicle into a dealership this morning for diagnostics. I was told it was the throttle vale. After looking online I have noticed many people are having this same issue. Please look into this. Ford needs to fix this unsafe issue!

- Hatfield, PA, USA

Sep 012013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Engine failed. Car abruptly stopped. Wrench light appeared. Restarted car and wrench light went out but engine light remained on solid. Got going on third try and managed to get home about 8 miles. Same scenario continued and my mechanic thoroughly cleaned throttle assembly. Problem continues... tried again....this time failed at intersection...got going again but almost had vehicle behind me rear end me....../totally unsafe. My wife drives this vehicle and the ramifications are apparent. Had similar problem with my brand new 2008 Taurus if I recall correct. Ford fixed immediately.. I believe they should cover this also although. I must correct immediately. I will keep all invoices for reimbursement. I would appreciate your prompt response. Thank you.

- White Oak, PA, USA

Aug 292013

Escape 6-cyl

I am having problems with the throttle body on my 2010 Ford Escape doing a lot of the same things. Its throwing itself into limp home mode and power failure with the throttle and shifting problems. And no power when stepping on the gas. I have read up on all the reports and the investigation. So I proceeded to take my car to town East Ford in mesquite Texas where I purchased the car from. The service tech guy at town East Ford. Refused to acknowledge the investigation and refused to check my car out without me paying him a bunch of money and refused to call my extended warranty without collecting the money up front. He proceeded to tell me that their dealership is not part of Ford so therefore he has no idea what is going on and I can show him all I want to on the internet but he refuses to do anything until I pay all the money up front even though they are a Ford dealership. The tech was very rude and I finally left there without getting my car fixed and still having problems. Ford needs to come out with this recall before someone winds up in serious wrecks from it and the dealerships need to honor the products and vehicle they sell of Ford.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Aug 282013

Escape 6-cyl

On Wednesday, August 28, 2013 I was on the interstate, outside of town when I accelerated to merge lanes & my Escape started lurching and I lost power causing my car to cost to a stop. I was able to limp to a location that was safe and had to call for a tow truck. I had it taken to the dealership where it was purchased and where I have all maintenance done on it. I was told by landmark Ford service that it was the throttle body and that it would take about two weeks to get the part in and around $520 to fix it. I spoke with Ford Corp and they said they are aware of this problem (thus, the back order on replacement parts). My Escape is 3 years old.

- Springfield, IL, USA

Jun 112013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving under normal driving conditions on the expressway when the car suddenly jerked and I no longer could accelerate and the service engine light on the dashboard began flashing. Fortunately, I was able to get on to the shoulder and call a tow truck. It was due to a faulty throttle body. Per the dealer where my vehicle was towed to, the part needed was on Ford's national backorder list and they did not know when the part would become available. It took 5 weeks to get the part. It has only been about 7 weeks and my car did the same jerk on the expressway again today. I was able to continue driving to work as no service lights ignited on the dashboard, but I will be taking my vehicle in to get checked again.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Aug 242013

Escape 4-cyl

While driving in heavy city traffic at 35-40 mph, engine lost power and died making it very hard to brake and steer. I was able to steer into a turn lane without incident but was lucky not to be hit in the rear. This could be especially dangerous at highway speeds if you are unable to get off of the road. Vehicle was able to be restarted after waiting about 5 minutes. This is the second time in as many days that this has occurred. Internet research shows that Ford has had numerous complaints regarding this issue and the NHTSA is investigating this problem.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Jun 152011

Escape 4-cyl

Driving in town let off throttle engine went to limp mode, pulled over shut off motor then restarted ran great but had P2111 code, did same thing again on way home again pull over restart runs great. I checked code, led me to throttle body inspected and cleaned found no problem, reinstalled throttle body ran good for about 30 days and did it again, has done it 2 more times since but gives me no codes. The last time was starting out in a busy intersection car jumps and goes to limp mode in middle of intersection had to limp out of traffic to turn off and restart.

- Summerfield, FL, USA

Aug 052013

Escape 4-cyl

Vehicle begins to loose power/ stall. The "wrench" light illuminates on the dash. After pulling over and restarting, it will go another 5 - 10 miles and it does it again. After 2 - 3 times it will throw the "check engine" light (code P2112). We checked/ cleaned the throttle body and cleared the code. Car ran ok for about 3 days (50 miles), and it happened again. We are looking into hiring an attorney as Ford does not want to help cover the cost to repair this defect. I have two young children that ride in this car, and uncontrolled stalling and sputtering is dangerous on busy streets. Twice, this happened in the middle of an intersection, and at one time, it completely died going 40 mph, and the power steering quit, causing me to almost head into oncoming traffic. Please help us and others with this issue, before someone is seriously injured or loses their life.

- Sachse, TX, USA

Aug 132013

Escape 4-cyl

Driving down street, engine shut off. This would sporadically happen at different speeds and in different parts of town. Error code P2112. Engine would either shut off completely or would idle low and rough and not move, when accelerator was depressed, no increase in RPM.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 122013

Escape 4-cyl

Was driving at 60 mph in the fast lane on the freeway, engine lost power for no reason. Had no shoulder to pull onto, had to shut ignition off in the middle of the road with fast approaching cars passing me and coming up behind me. Restarted car and it started running fine again. Had this one time before this but not in the middle of rush hour traffic. After someone is hurt then they will have a recall for this faulty throttle body!

- Magnolia, TX, USA

Jul 012013

Escape

Vehicle stalls during normal driving for no apparent reason. Wait a minute and it will restart. Took vehicle to dealer and they said that the throttle body was defective and needed to be replaced. Though mileage warranty has not expired, 3 yr warranty is out by 1 month so they will not repair under warranty. Want $700 to fix.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Aug 112013

Escape 4-cyl

While on my way home one night my car just cut off and left me stranded on the side of the road.

- Plymouth, NC, USA

Jul 312013

Escape 4-cyl

I was exiting off the highway and all of a sudden my vehicle shifted and then started losing speed and would not accelerate. I had to immediately pull over to the right side of the street and put on my hazard lights and bring the car to a complete stop. I then put the car in park and turned off the ignition and started it again and drove on home. It happened again the next day with me being aware that it may do it again. So I took it to a car repair shop and learned that the throttle body was the cause and has to be replaced. I have only had the car for 6 mos and it is not covered under my warranty.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jul 262013

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the mil warning light illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was later taken to the dealer where it was determined that the evac canister had failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000. Updated 9/4/13

- Dingmans Ferry, PA, USA

Jul 232013

Escape 4-cyl

At least 10 times over the last few weeks, my 2010 Ford Escape has lost power while driving. The RPM's drop and the engine does not respond when pushing the gas pedal. Also the wrench light comes on. Changing the transmission to neutral does not affect the stall. Typically after turning off the engine and starting it again, the engine resets to normal. Today, this happen on a crowded interstate surrounded by semi trucks at 65 mph. Luckily, I was able to coast through lanes of traffic and get to the side of the road. This defect is considerably dangerous and needs attention as soon as possible from Ford.

- Buford, GA, USA

Jul 192013

Escape

Vehicle was being driven down a county highway at 55 mph when it jerked forward and suddenly lost power. The vehicle coasted to almost a crawl before there was any sign of life to it. My wife called me and I asked her to pull over to a safe place. I told her to turn the vehicle off and then restart it. When she did this, she was able to drive the vehicle normally. The vehicle then jerked again and switched into the limp mode. At this point my wife pulled over and call a tow truck. The first mechanic I took it to said that I needed to take it to Ford and that it was the throttle body. Once I got it to Ford, they looked at it and said that it was the throttle body and it needed to be replace. It's hard to believe that the part was on back order. There must be a demand for the part! I am thankful that my wife is fine, but I am concerned that the jerk that she felt could have led to an accident. I would hate to have this happen to any one else.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jun 282013

Escape 4-cyl

Escape sputtered & stalled. Restarted & was serviced by Ford to 'clean' the throttle body. Within a few days, it exhibited the same behavior but much more frequent rendering the car unreliable. Replacement parts are not available from the dealer for another 3-4 weeks.

- Highland Village, TX, USA

Jul 062013

Escape 6-cyl

While entering the highway from an inclined on-ramp, acceleration began to decrease even as the gas pedal was being pressed. I was able to coast to the shoulder, stop the engine and restart. The vehicle appeared to have returned to normal function. After traveling about 25 miles on the highway, the vehicle began to lose acceleration as I tried to increase speed to change lanes. The gas pedal was pressed to the floor of the car with no results. As I pressed the pedal the maintenance light and engine light lit up on the dashboard. I was able to get to an exit ramp and coasted to a safe stop. There was no previous warning from the dashboard indicators that there was trouble. I was notified by the dealership, that the throttle body assembly had failed.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Jun 272013

Escape 6-cyl

The engine lost power while driving multiple times in traffic which caused a dangerous situation. There was a limited area which to pull the car off away from moving traffic. The throttle body is at fault.

- Snohomish, WA, USA