CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 Ford Escape has been in the news quite a bit and for all the wrong reasons. Within a few months of its release the SUV was recalled three times, twice because of engine fires.

In July 2012, due to a fuel line that could split and leak, Ford told owners to park their cars because even driving to the dealership for repairs was deemed too dangerous. Instead, in a somewhat unprecedented move, Ford sent tow trucks to pick up the affected vehicles and handed out rental cars while the owners waited for repairs.

A few months later the Escape was recalled again because antifreeze could leak out onto the engine due to a freeze plug becoming dislodged. As the coolant hit the hot engine there was, once again, a threat for fire.

The 2013 is the first model year of the Escape's 3rd generation and proves once again that you want to avoid the first model year when at all possible.

2013 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Escape:

2013 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 4 of 13)

Oct 252015

Escape

On 10-25-15, I was driving a few miles from my home when a light came on stating "high engine temperature, pull over safely." Within 30 seconds of pulling over, the flames came out frm under the hood near the windshield. Within 5 minutes my vehicle was fully engulfed inside and completely destroyed. I contated the dealership who informed me of a recall that oil could leak onto the engine and start a fire. I was never notified. I was given a number for Ford customer relations. I notified them of what happended and was told they turned my case over to their legal counsel and I would recieve a written response from Ford in 15 business days. Ihave still not recieved a letter and I was told I just have to wait for the letter.

- Ligonier, PA, USA

Nov 152015

Escape

Multiple times check engine service engine fault now comes on, killing all power and steering to vehicle. Stalled out in traffic, on highway, at a stop, low speed, no speed, high speed. Lost all ability to accelerate or control vehicle. Traction control sensor light lit up, check engine light lit up, airbag sensor lit up and yet running the check systems on it responds that all systems are normal and no active messages. Previously had issue with a bad wheel sensor affecting RPM's, speed, and acceleration. It took the dealer 4 days to figure that out as no computer codes displayed. When turning the lights on manually, the sensor on the dash doesn't light up and it does not turn the lights on unless it is completely dark outside. Not good for these rainy overcast mornings. The engine stalling happened in all different circumstances and traveling in inner city traffic and losing power has proven to be quite dangerous. It first happened yesterday while traveling short trip turning into parking lot. Today it occurred 12 times in a span of a 25 mile trip with my granddaughter in the car. I read the Ford website and ntsa ones and feel it could possibly be related to recall # 14S17 but when I run the VIN number, it only shows active recall related to airbags. It has had multiple recalls since first 3 months of ownership and dealer where purchased never seems to know or have parts in order to address recall issues. The problem is that when this happens, you lose all ability to control the vehicle and there is no indication of when or where it's going to happen. We were sitting at an intersection and when the light turned green, I accelerated and it lost power and there was nowhere to get the vehicle off of the road as it was traffic all around us. I turned my hazards on and prayed we didn't get hit by the oncoming onslaught of traffic.

- Portage, PA, USA

Nov 062015

Escape

Engine coolant service required, check engine light. Checked coolant low. Added coolant 4 days later the same message appears again. Add more coolant. Take my vehicle to dealership due to the leak. Which is a recall on other 2013 Ford Escape but apparently not mines. I have T replace water pump, gasket, servicing belt and 1 gallon of coolant for over $1100 with no help from Ford. When they know they should due a recall on all 2013 Ford esacapes.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Nov 052015

Escape

I was driving going 40 mph & car just died, the engine turned off almost got re ended as the car just came to a stop. I was not able to restart for a couple minutes. All the power stayed on but the engine died and the car lost momentum.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Oct 192015

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. While accelerating from a traffic light, the vehicle hesitated and stalled. The contact stated that the vehicle had to be placed in park to prevent the stalling. On several occasions, the vehicle took several attempts to restart. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The contact was referred to the dealer because the vehicle was under a manufacturer's warranty. The vehicle was not repaired. On five separate occasions, the low coolant warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the coolant level was low. The mechanic refilled the coolant reservoir, however the warning light remained illuminated. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Aug 102015

Escape

Coolant issues, overheating and vehicle stopping completely, this occurred several times; head gasket replaced, turbo replaced, spark plugs coming out on their own, wheel bearing and sensor gone, touch screen gone

- Gray, ME, USA

Sep 172015

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at 65 mph, the vehicle decreased in speed and the brake pedal traveled to the floorboard when depressed. The failure occurred intermittently. In addition, the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer on four occasions but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 23,000. The VIN was not available.

- Fairmont, WV, USA

Jul 132015

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. While driving at approximately 5 mph, the check engine warning indicator illuminated and there was an abnormally strong burning odor coming from the vehicle. The contact stated that the touch screen, radio, and navigation failed. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 24,000.

- Norwood, NJ, USA

Aug 292015

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the vehicle overheated and an unknown warning light illuminated. The vehicle was then parked and smoke emitted from the hood. The contact and passenger were able to exit the vehicle before it was engulfed in flames. No police report was filed. The fire was extinguished by a passing motorist. No injuries were sustained. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the anti-freeze had leaked unto the engine causing the fire. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in the NHTSA campaign number: 12V431000 (engine and engine cooling). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 66,000.

- Monroe, GA, USA

Sep 022015

Escape

Driving on road and high engine temperature warning came on. Pulled over at first safe area, a very short distance. Shut vehicle off and in approximately 2 minutes flames were coming from under hood.

- Pleasant Valley, NY, USA

Aug 192015

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 5 mph, the contact noticed smoke under the engine and the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was noticed that engine oil was dripping onto the manifold and diagnosed that the turbo needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in the NHTSA campaign number: 13V583000 (engine). The approximate failure mileage was 70,000. MA 10/16/15

- Rosslyn Heights, NY, USA

Aug 192015

Escape

Driving down street when vehicle suddenly went into limp mode. Vehicle has had numerous previous engine fault service readings on screen. Dealer has been unable to repair. In shop again.

- Williamsville, NY, USA

Aug 082015

Escape

When I was driving my vehicle on a local road in a residential area, the check engine light was on. That day, I've never driven on a freeway, or faster than 45 mph, and the problem occurs only after normally low speed driving for 15 min. I got the vehicle inspected by the dealer, and they told me the error code is P026B7, and it has something wrong with the coolant bypass valve. That part is not covered by the power train warranty. The vehicle had a recall before associated with the coolant leakage, so it is very suspicious that the coolant bypass valve is also inherently defected, considering with so may other vehicles sharing the same failure with the same engine.

- Laramie, WY, USA

Aug 032015

Escape 4-cyl

While driving down the highway I pushed on the accelerator to pass another car safely. The accelerator did not react for 4 seconds, this is a serious safety issue and if our government is not looking out for us, who is. I noticed other postings like this and I have complained to Ford that I have a lemon and they have chosen not to do anything about it. Do I need to start writing my senator or congress person for something to happen, what does it take for someone to notice these complaints, a death from these defects? Ford has chosen to ignore it and apparently the NHTSA as well. I have had several issues with my Escape and have complained to Ford, I am a veteran and cannot afford a lawyer as I am putting three people through college. Help!!!!!!!.....updated 10-27-15

- Seal Beach, CA, USA

Jul 222015

Escape

The engine stalled/died while driving. I was about to turn onto an extremely busy 6 lane road, so I am fortunate (I suppose) that it did not die while I was making my turn. I was able to coast to the side of the road and call for help. My child was in the car with me. Very scary.

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA

May 032013

Escape

I bought a 2013 Ford Escape new in Nov of 2012. This is an unsafe car. Every summer in las vegas where I live the car overheats and I loose engine power. This is a very dangerous situation especially for me as I am 71 years old. I have brought the car back to the dealer many times to correct the problem and they have been unable or unwilling to fix

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 242015

Escape

While my wife was pulling into a parking spot front forward. The engine suddenly revved and the vehicle accelerated forward, causing the vehicle to jump the curb and crash thru a store front window.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jul 022015

Escape

Over the past 2 1/2 years that we have had the vehicle, the engine will stall out when taking off from a stop. It has happened 7 times and we feel like it is unsafe to drive. We had it at the dealer we purchased from 3 times now for this concern and they cannot fix and deny there is anything wrong. The dealer said they did not care if we had a problem as they cannot find what the cause is. I am a state certified ase auto tech and I think I know what is wrong. But as I said the dealer does not care. The service writer even wrote the wrong description on the ro of what the problem is. He wrote it for a check engine light and we never said that. We told hem that is stalls at slow speeds from a stop or has happened on very low speed turns.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Apr 042015

Escape

When driving at highway speed SUV jerks - sputters not all the time but the last time it was like a machine gun at 60mph. It stores no codes. Been to Ford 3 times the 2nd time a code of miss firing they change all plugs and coils. Was on the highway a week later something.

- Revere, MA, USA

May 132015

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 75 mph, the engine sputtered and the rpms decreased to 8,000. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who drove the vehicle for three weeks; however, the failure was not duplicated. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 55,987.

- Stormville, NY, USA