CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 Ford Escape has been in the news quite a bit and for all the wrong reasons. Within a few months of its release the SUV was recalled three times, twice because of engine fires.

In July 2012, due to a fuel line that could split and leak, Ford told owners to park their cars because even driving to the dealership for repairs was deemed too dangerous. Instead, in a somewhat unprecedented move, Ford sent tow trucks to pick up the affected vehicles and handed out rental cars while the owners waited for repairs.

A few months later the Escape was recalled again because antifreeze could leak out onto the engine due to a freeze plug becoming dislodged. As the coolant hit the hot engine there was, once again, a threat for fire.

The 2013 is the first model year of the Escape's 3rd generation and proves once again that you want to avoid the first model year when at all possible.

2013 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Escape:

2013 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 7 of 13)

Aug 212014

Escape

TL- the contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the cruise control failed to engage and disengage intermittently. The contact experienced an electrical short with the radio shorting out as well. The vehicle stalled multiple times and the contact had to make several attempts to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who replaced the wiring harness and the failure recurred. The contact noticed that the vehicle was idling rough, the cruise control was engaged and was stuck multiple times causing the vehicle to accelerate while attempting to disengage the cruise control feature. The vehicle also stalled more than five times and the contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was not safe to drive and was parked at the contacts residence. The vehicle was towed by the dealer to the authorized dealer for further inspection, diagnosis and repair. The contact was waiting for a response from the authorized dealer who was checking for approval from the manufacturer to repair the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure several times. The approximate failure mileage was 35,000. Dyd

- Homer City, PA, USA

Aug 242014

Escape

While traveling down a highway at approximately 50 mph, our vehicle suddenly lost power, red lights came on the dashboard, vehicle continued running but gas pedal did not respond. Coasted to a stop along shoulder, turned vehicle off, waited a couple of minutes, restarted without incident. 12 volt plugs remained off. Called Ford dealership today. They say this issue will be covered in another recall from Ford, has to do with the electrical wiring harness which shorts out, however replacement part not available at this time. Had we been on the freeway in seattle as we were earlier in the day, this would have caused a rear end accident for sure. We feel Ford has left us with an undependable vehicle, several recalls already and now this very serious safety issue. We no longer feel we can travel safely in this vehicle even after this next recall is repaired. Quality control is definitely absent, who knows what else will be recalled at this rate.

- Bellingham, WA, USA

Aug 012013

Escape 4-cyl

The check engine light comes on intermittently, and stays on for about 48 hours. When I have taken it to the dealership they cannot find out why the light is coming on because the code is no longer visible. The car idles rough and cuts off when the car is warm and I'm stopped in traffic, at a red light for example. It is very dangerous to have my car cut off in inner-city traffic. It also occurred once when I was trying to start the car after being off for about 20 minutes. I had to start it 3 times in order for it to stay on. Each time, it idled very roughly and cut off within a few seconds.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jun 142013

Escape

As I am driving along, my car starts to jump & sputter & dies. Information light comes on with "engine fault, service immediately." I take the car in to the Ford dealer & he tells me there is not a code showing up so they can't do anything. I have had my Escape to the Ford house 4 times for the exact same thing & everytime, no code shows up. What the heck" if the engine dies & it tells you engine fault service immediately how can there not be a code show up" we were on vacation this weekend and it dies 4 times while we are gone. I was nearly rear-ended several times because it is never at the same rate of speed! sometimes I am sitting at a red light, sometimes I am driving in town at 30 mph, sometimes I am on the interstate at 75 mph. This is extremely dangerous for one thing I could be hit from behind & injured along with my family & grandson, for another thing when it dies, I lose my steering & my brakes. Not good when you are in hill country either. I am tired of Ford not doing anything about this! I guess they are going to wait until people get killed before they finally do something about it! saving money to trade vehicles before something happens to my family! I only have 21,000 miles on this vehicle and I think it is a total of 8 times this has happened in the 13 months I have owned this vehicle.

- Dimmitt, TX, USA

Jul 022014

Escape 4-cyl

Vehicle towed to Ford on 7/3/14 for fuel leak. Also told Ford that fuel range consumption gauge was not working right. Ford was unable to verify fuel leak concern but did the 13S12 overheating and 14S03 handle recalls. On 7/19/14 low coolant light came on. Called Ford and they said that it was an air pocket in the coolant system and to add distilled water and drive it to Ford. The dealership drained the coolant, added coolant and pressurized to check the system. Explained to Ford that our daughter was taking the car on a 500 mile road trip that afternoon. They reassured us it was fixed and that she would not have an issue, but if she did, simply add distilled water again to resolve. Later on 7/19/14, after driving 150 miles of the trip, the temperature gauge rapidly jumped from normal to hot and the engine overheated. Roadside assist. Towed to the closest Ford dealership. This new dealership said the vehicle had so many problems that they were going to have someone from Ford to come look at it. The new dealership faxed us the list of what was wrong with our vehicle: Leaking water pump, leaking turbo coolant tube, turbo coolant banjo bolt loose, hose clamp on turbo coolant tube not released, coolant stand pipe not bolted, engine harness taped but not secured to engine cover, coolant stand pipe harness not properly secured, battery cable rerouting not performed, foam protection not applied to coolant level module, active grill shutters not removed at all, thermostat housing bolts loose, cv boot ripped, bolts on oil deflector not tight to specs. Ford says they repaired the vehicle but we told them we could not risk our lives any more with this defective vehicle. On 7/29/14 we explained everything to Ford, sent them the list, got a case number and requested that Ford buy back the vehicle. On 8/8/14 Ford denied our request. We are too scared to pick up the vehicle.

- Brentwood, TN, USA

Aug 082014

Escape 4-cyl

I buy Ford Escape 2013, SE ecoboost 1,6 in February 2013.pay $ 29,00, brand new.after 10 months send me recall notice(13V583,14V-239,14V-237,14V164000) after recall value for my car drop down 50%.who refund my.after fix my car, my car, no now car, this is fixed car.who agree for sell with no good condition car.

- Palm Beach Garden, FL, USA

Jul 232014

Escape 4-cyl

In order to park in the single bay of our three car side entry attached garage, you have to pull up to the post between the double and single bays, back up and pull forward. After pulling to about one foot from the garage support post and bringing the vehicle to a complete stop, I attempted to shift from drive to reverse. The Escape suddenly accelerated into the post and our Expedition parked in the right hand side of the double bay. It felt like I had been slammed into from behind. With the engine racing I was able to use the start/stop button to stop the engine. The post was driven over three feet into the garage and the Expedition was hit with so much force that it jumped about an inch onto the cement curb in front of the garage. Hitting the Expedition prevented the garage post (wood and brick) from totally collapsing. The Escape has the 1.6L eco-boost engine and was purchased in Oct. 2012. It has been driven only 5,904 miles. At 5,672 miles the dealership had the vehicle for three days for three recalls 13S12, 14S04 and 14S03.

- Canton, MI, USA

Aug 012014

Escape

The engine had been idleing a little rough and stalled at a stop light. It restarted and then it would idle rough and like it was going to stall again. It has stalled a total of 3 times in the last 3 days and is idleing rough. Ford dealer service dept. Not open to get looked at. This is out of the blue and when I ran an engine diagnostic it came back normal. I dont trust this car now and am in the process of trying to trade it for a new Toyota, but I am not sure I will be able to get rid of this vehicle. I see Ford has had several issues with this and so far they cant find anything wrong.

- Melbourne, FL, USA

Aug 012014

Escape 4-cyl

I have medical condition in Florida.my car is registration in California.my medical condition in not ready, nader few month.I want fix my recall in Florida.please send my dealer address in Florida 33418. Please help my! thank you!

- Palm Beach Garden, FL, USA

Jul 012014

Escape 4-cyl

I have the 2013 Ford Escape 2.0 with eco-boost. Suddenly it began stalling when I was in park, it has gradually began stalling when I am in drive but at a stop. Luckily it has not happened while I was in motion. The engine light comes on along with service now indicator and other dash icons. I put the vehicle in park and restart with no problem. All icon's disappear and the vehicle goes back to running normal. I have noticed it is idling roughly and a bit higher than normal about 900 RPM. It constantly idles as if it is going to stall although stalling does not always occur.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Apr 082014

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 13V583000 (engine); however, the part for the repair was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Bridgeton , NJ, USA

Jul 182014

Escape 4WD 4-cyl

In 2 weeks my 2013 Ford Escape has stopped running. The first time I was at a complete stop. The second time I was slowing down for a stop sign and the engine cut off again. Both time the car restarted. It was taken to the dealer both times and they can fine nothing wrong. I am very concerned that it will happen when I am driving and someone will run into me.

- La Plata, MD, USA

Jul 232014

Escape 4-cyl

While driving the engine fault light came on. The car began to lurch when changing gears almost causing an accident. Once car turned off and turned back on the fault cleared and the engine ran smooth. Took the car to the Ford store san leandro (ca). Like the similar complaints on this website they could not find record on the car's computer and could not replicate the problem. Therefore I go away very concerned about my safety and future occurrences of the same event. From this website I see lots of complaints. When will Ford do something to rectify. How many people are going to have to be injured or die to get them working on resolving this issue?

- Alameda, CA, USA

Jul 182014

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the vehicle overheated and stalled. The contact mentioned that when the vehicle was turned off, there was an abnormal noise coming from the rear end of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the popped off coolant hose needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 31,000.

- Yuba City, CA, USA

May 312014

Escape 4-cyl

On 5/31/14, upon starting vehicle (2.0 L, sel), vehicle running rough, sputtering, lurching when accelerator was depressed, etc. Message on dash screen stated "engine fault - service now". drove car approximately 8 miles to a Ford dealer I was not familiar with. Turned car off but then decided to move car. Started car, all issues disappeared, so I left and drove car 35 miles to my home with no issues. Drove car until 6/20/14 when exact symptoms happened again. Drove car with symptoms occurring to local Ford dealer. Mechanic suspected cooing system problem, turned off engine without hooking up to computer for diagnosis. Minutes later, mechanic decided problem was not cooling system related since Escape was a 2.0 L (cooling system problems apparently occur with 1.6 L models), but was instead the map sensor which was replaced on 6/26/14. Next day (6/27/14) after map sensor replacement, same exact issues. No time to take to a dealer, so I shut it off and restarted it and all symptoms disappeared. Drove regularly until 7/16/14, when exact symptoms occurred again. Drove directly to local Ford dealer, left it running. They hooked up the diagnostic computer while running which showed error code related to map sensor again. Explained to mechanic that my research has indicated that tsb 13-12-12 might address the problem which is related to wiring in the "signal return splices." He agreed. Made appointment for next day, 7/17/14. Upon starting on 7/17/14, same symptoms. Turned off, restarted, symptoms cleared and I drove it with no issues to my local Ford dealer. Local dealer called and said they looked at the wire splices, made some "adjustments" (no new parts) and that vehicle is ready for pick up. If this occurs again, which I believe it will, I will ask for wire harness replacement to the signal return(s). Dangerous, well-documented problem.

- State College, PA, USA

Jul 012014

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph and making a right turn, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate mileage was 9,300. Updated 9/18/14 updated 2/11/2015

- Carteret , NJ, USA

May 012014

Escape 4-cyl

First occurrence was nearly three months ago. 2013 Ford Escape as repeatedly, with increasing frequency but randomly lost power and with the engine shutting off. Car has lost engine power and with no ability to accelerate while driving speeds up to 40 mph. It has occurred while approaching a stop, sitting at a stop sign, accelerating post stop, turning left, turning right and while navigating around-about and crossing a railroad track. Car will restart once I place it in park. This is an extreme safety concern. I have had several near misses and only because I have learned to respond quickly with my hazard lights. I called don hinds Ford in fishers, in at the second occurrence and they failed to express the same level of concern telling me I would have to wait 4-5 days for an appointment. The frequency has increased, albeit still random and not daily it does occur multiple times a week. I made a service appointment with don hinds waiting again 4 business days on 7-8-2014. I was extremely disappointed as their report was based on their inability to not replicate the problem. The likelihood to replicate a random occurrence in a short test drive was not expected by me and I am disappointed they were foolish to think it would. The history of the last 10 starts and stops on the car's computer didn't report any error code. Don hind's states that Ford has no reports of any incidents and their technical support had no recommendations for the mechanic. The advice of the mechanic was to wait until it was more frequent in occurrence and able to be replicated and then bring it back. I am afraid to drive my car and to Transport my children. This needs urgent attention. This poses a high risk of injury.

- Westfield, IN, USA

Feb 142013

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the engine coolant fluid leaked onto the exhaust manifold. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where it was repaired under recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 13V583000 (engine). After the remedy repair was performed the failure persisted. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 15,000.

- North Tazwell, VA, USA

Apr 212014

Escape 4-cyl

It started as a recall. There was danger of fire in the motor. Took in on April 21, 2014 and told it would be back in 2 days. Down hill from there. Bad water pump. Waiting for parts. The motor has been taken apart and put back. Dealer test drove and "check engine light" came on. This has happened twice. Ford has said they would send a "new" motor. This is July 7th and I still don't have my car back. Dealer said they don't know when I would get it. Also -- the Escape has a steering problem. It hangs when you are turning or changing lanes driving 70 mph and they can't identify the problem. They say that Ford hasn't had any complaints. Updated 02/05/2015

- Graham, NC, USA

Jul 032014

Escape

I am filing a complaint that after my recall service for the risk of localized overheating of the engine cylinder head that may lead to oil leak fires my 2013 Ford Escape started overheating. The engine heat went from regular heat to maxed out heat in the red in a matter of seconds with no warning or time to pull over safely!!!!! I purchased my Ford Escape 2013 sel in April of 2013 and use my car often for work so have put on 23,000 miles so far. I got a letter of a recall and called to schedule my recall asap only able to get an appointment 2 months out. I got my 3 recalls of only one I was notified of performed June 16th 2014 and picked up my car June 20th from san leandro Ford thinking and hoping I would now be driving a safe vehicle. Shortly thereafter I realized my right head-light wasn't working so took it back to find out the technician forgot to plug my headlight in. Two weeks later I took a trip over 300 miles away and had no troubles after multiple mtn passes until our final climb when my 2013 Escape jumped from regular engine heat to overheating and maxed out in the red in a matter of seconds. We pulled over let it cool and tried again, overheated again and had an oil burning smell with fear of engine catching fire!! immediately made an appointment at bishop Ford. Car is currently at Ford dealership 6 hours from my home with no reason as to why it is still overheating! Ford tech (corporate location) was non-responsive to local tech and car is unsafe to drive! warning recall does not work!

- San Francisco , CA, USA