1996 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Ford Explorer:

1996 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Sep 302014

My Explorer just started making a spinning noise when I'm going down hills or slowing down unless I ride my brakes or gas petal and I have to slow it way down until it stops the sound.

- , Kimberling, MO, USA

Jul 242010

Explorer Sport 4.0L V6

I just started having a problem with my transmission. when coasting, a noise that sounds like a spinning drill starts and wont stop until I accelerate or stop, the RPMs drop to almost nothing. It seems like it's slipping. I've been told to flush the tranny, change the transfer case, check the torque converter....etc...etc... I'll be flushing the tranny first since it's the cheapest route without paying 200 bucks for some mechanic to tell me he can fix it for another 2000 bucks and not actually fix the problem. Until now this has been the most reliable vehicle I've had. It is a bit of a gas hog but I love my truck!!

- , Scranton, PA, USA

Mar 142010

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

as of sunday when i let off the gas pedal of my 96 ford explorer it makes a sound similar to a drill, i don't know what it is so if anyone has had this problem before and know what it is. please let me know

- , Gordonsville, VA, USA