- April 24: Ford Recalls 390,000 Cars After 658 Door Latch Complaints
- April 13: Ford Ordered to Pay $3 Million in Crash of 2001 Ford Ranger
- April 7: Government Petitioned To Investigate Ford SUV Recall
- April 5: Do Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis Headlights Fail?
- March 29: Ford Freestyle Engine Surge Lawsuit Not Dead Yet
1996 Ford Explorer
Worst 1996 Explorer transmission Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- transmission slips out of gear9
- not shifting properly5
- o/d light is flashing5
- transmission failure5
- strange noise while coasting3
- humming and ticking noise while changing gears2
- overheating transmission o/d light blinks2
- oil leak1
- transmission caught on fire1
- transmission fail safe1
- transmission stuck in reverse1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission77
- NHTSA: Power Train: Manual Transmission7
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Lever And ...6
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Torque Converter3
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Gear Position ...2
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 1996 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.