- April 11: Ford Recalls 435,000 Escapes For Rusted Subframes
- March 4: Ford Agrees to Fix 1,600,000 Cars That 'Limp Home'
- February 8: Ford Wants Class-Action Lawsuit Thrown Out
- February 6: Congrats Chrysler! Most Recalls of 2013
- February 5: Investigation Closed Into Steering Gear Problems in Ford Trucks
- January 21: 10 Out of 11 Minicars Flunk Crash Test
- January 19: Ford Recalls Vehicles for Steering and Windshield Problems
1996 Ford Explorer
Worst 1996 Explorer transmission Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- transmission slips out of gear9
- not shifting properly5
- o/d light is flashing5
- transmission failure4
- humming and ticking noise while changing gears2
- overheating transmission o/d light blinks2
- strange noise while coasting2
- transmission caught on fire1
- transmission fail safe1
- transmission stuck in reverse1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission78
- NHTSA: Power Train: Manual Transmission7
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Lever And ...6
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Torque Converter3
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Gear Position ...2
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 1996 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.