- April 11: Ford Recalls 435,000 Escapes For Rusted Subframes
- March 4: Ford Agrees to Fix 1,600,000 Cars That 'Limp Home'
- February 8: Ford Wants Class-Action Lawsuit Thrown Out
- February 6: Congrats Chrysler! Most Recalls of 2013
- February 5: Investigation Closed Into Steering Gear Problems in Ford Trucks
- January 21: 10 Out of 11 Minicars Flunk Crash Test
- January 19: Ford Recalls Vehicles for Steering and Windshield Problems
1997 Ford Explorer
Worst 1997 Explorer transmission Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- won't shift into drive or reverse8
- code p0741 torque converter slipped more than normal3
- difficulty shifting into drive3
- transfer case clutch spinning out of control3
- o/d light flashing2
- weird noise from front part of engine between 30 / 100 km2
- stuck in gear1
- whirring noise from transmission1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission38
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Lever And ...19
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Gear Position ...4
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Park/Neutral ...4
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Torque Converter3
- NHTSA: Power Train: Manual Transmission3
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 1997 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.