- March 4: Ford Agrees to Fix 1,600,000 Cars That 'Limp Home'
- February 8: Ford Wants Class-Action Lawsuit Thrown Out
- February 6: Congrats Chrysler! Most Recalls of 2013
- February 5: Investigation Closed Into Steering Gear Problems in Ford Trucks
- January 21: 10 Out of 11 Minicars Flunk Crash Test
- January 19: Ford Recalls Vehicles for Steering and Windshield Problems
- January 15: Ford Recalls Edge (Again): Gas Leak Could Cause Fire
- January 14: Class-Action Lawsuit Filed Over MyFord Touch Complaints
- January 3: The Worst Cars and Car Problems of 2013
- December 30: Ford Recalls Lincoln MKZ Hybrid For Roll Away Risk
- December 23: The Safest Cars to Drive in 2014
1997 Ford Explorer
Worst 1997 Explorer transmission Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- won't shift into drive or reverse8
- code p0741 torque converter slipped more than normal3
- difficulty shifting into drive3
- transfer case clutch spinning out of control3
- o/d light flashing2
- weird noise from front part of engine between 30 / 100 km2
- stuck in gear1
- whirring noise from transmission1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission38
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Lever And ...19
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Gear Position ...4
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Park/Neutral ...4
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Torque Converter3
- NHTSA: Power Train: Manual Transmission3
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 1997 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.