1998 Ford Explorer wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Explorer:

1998 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 15 of 17)

Jul 302000

Explorer 4WD

The side walls on the 16 inch Firestone tires on my 1998 Ford Explorer, eddie bauer model began to crack and the thread began to separate. I brought my SUV into a Firestone tire and service center. The service manager inspected the tires and agreed that the 16 Wilderness AT tires were defective. However, he said that he could not replace them since Firestone hq said there was nothing wrong with their 16" Wilderness AT tires. Contrary to hq claim the service manager seeing the obvious defect/failure of the tires agreed to gave me a small allowance on the tires if I bought 4 brand new Bridgestone tires. Fearing for the safety of my family I had no choice but to pay full retail, less the allowance in order to get new tires. Please for the safety of the driving public, make a full investigation of the 16 inch Firestone Wilderness AT tires and get these unsafe, defective 16" Firestone Wilderness AT tires off the road and market before people are killed.( dot number: Tire size: P255/70/16 )

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Dec 181998

Explorer

Tire failure at normal driving speed of 35mphs.no injuries.( dot number: Tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Novato, CA, USA

Jun 151998

Explorer 4WD

Tire dealer insisted tire failed due to low air pressure not heat or defect, Ford was no help either.( dot number: Vnhl tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Lawrence, KS, USA

Jul 031998

Explorer

Tire tread seperated from sidewall right rear tire

- W. Allis, WI, USA

Jun 122000

Explorer 4WD

This is in response to the recall of the Firestone tires. I'm very concerned about the fact that my tires were not included in the Firestone recall. I bought my exporer new in '98 and as I reported in this form I have had two blow outs within 6 months. Fortunatly neither one caused an accident but both times the tires were unrepairable. I'm also very conscious about vehicle maintainence and follow all the manufactures recommendations. Please let me know if I can provide any more information and please continue to look into the safety of all Wilderness AT tires.( dot number: Hyuu tire size: P225/70R15 )

- Richfield, MN, USA

Oct 031998

Explorer

This is a confirmation of troubles with the mentioned Firestone tires. We had three incidents of the tires blowing out, when traveling at speeds between 30 and 50 miles per hour. There were absolutely no penetrations of the tire rubber, as the tires had failed. Three different tires had to be fixed, two patched from small partial tears on the outer layer, and one absolutely destroyed from failure. These tires had to be replaced by michelen tires at 21, 500. Before replacing the tires, we did not drive far distances after the repeated failures, and even took the car to a dealer to inspect the vehicle (also in newman, ga), who did not find any traces of punctures in the tires. We spend good money to get these awful tires (and unsafe) "fixed" and $424 in the new tires. Firestone was written and never responded, as I have now told all friends about their products, lack of response, and frankly what I believe to be an unsafe product of which I was unable to receive replacement tires because they wouldn't fit under they standard "warranty" of which has so many stipulations that it does nothing for the consumer. I hope this helps in the investigation and would frankly like to see if a response could come from Firestone's end as I am sorely disappointed. Many thanks.( dot number: Tire size: 285/75/15 )

- Orlando, FL, USA

Nov 181999

Explorer 4WD

The passenger rear tire seperated at 70mph. This caused the vehicle to cross over 2 lanes of traffic. No other accident occured. Major damage was done to the side and underneath the vehicle. My 2 infant sons and my wife and brother-in-law were in the vehicle. The accident happened in ca.( dot number: Tire size: P235/75R )

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 242000

Explorer 4WD

Wilderness/at, tire size P23575R15, standard equipment on this vehicle blewout when backing into a curb. It was a slight bump. Dealer was contacted.

- West Hollywood, CA, USA

Jun 102000

Explorer

We had a blowout on June 10,2000, but the tire was new (11/22/99). It tore the back panel of the truck. We were driving on the freeway at about 65-70 miles an hour. I'm at 67000 miles and have had to buy four new tires in less than 2 years. All with the same wear, uneven & choppy.( dot number: Tire size: 23575R15 )

- Marietta, GA, USA

Jul 072000

Explorer 4WD

The front left tire exploded while traveling at about 65 - 70 mph. Just prior to the blow-out I had noticed a slight pull to the left. When the tire blew I gradually depressed the brakes to slow the vehicle. The brakes were completely ineffective in slowing the vehicle. Not 60% ineffective, totally ineffective. It was not after I switched off the ignition, about 3 seconds after the blow-out, that the brakes resumed normal effectivness. I reported this to the dealer. They did a check of the brakes and said everything checked out ok. I was concerned that the anti-lock breaking system had somehow locked out all brakes when the left front blew out.( dot number: Tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Tempe, AZ, USA

Oct 231998

Explorer

I recently heard about Firestone's recall notice. My daughter and niece were driving my 1998 Explorer on highway 85 in gaston county, North Carolina, last October. The speed limit is 65 miles per hour. The back tire blew out/came off the rim and caused an accident. The Explorer flipped over twice and slid on its side across 3 lanes of traffic. Fortunately, no other cars were involved. As a result of the accident, my daughter and niece were taken to the hospital for injuries (whiplash, cuts, abrasions, and bruises). They had follow up visits to the doctor for pain and stiffness and were put on medication. The Explorer was totaled. Therefore, I lost the several thousand dollars that had already been paid on the vehicle, plus medical bills, had to purchase another vehicle, and my insurance rates were raised. Needless to say, I did not purchase another Explorer. Also, one of my brothers also had an accident in his Explorer. The tire came off when he was going around a curve, and the Explorer flipped over and was totaled. My brother was injured, but fortunately not killed. Some information about my vehicle I no longer have because the vehicle was taken by nationwide insurance.( dot number: )

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 091999

Explorer

While driving at 55mph the left rear tire blew apart. The vehicle swerved in traffic and I had difficulty controlling it in slowing down to a stop. Initially I thought the vehicle was going to roll over. The outer tire tread separated from the rest of the tire and was mostly in tact. The rest of the tire was severely damaged. After having the tire changed I took the tire to the Firestone store in arlington, tx (little road) and they replaced the tire at no charge. There was some damage to the wheel rim. If Firestone is going to replace these tires they should not forget to change out the spare which is the same tire on the Ford Explorer.( dot number: "??" tire size: P23575R15 )

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jul 122000

Explorer 4WD

I was driving our Explorer ltd. Near palm springs, ca at about 60 mph when I heard and felt a huge bang sound. I was able to get car under control and bring it to a stop in a median. We looked outside and saw that all the tread on the left rear tire had blown off. The force of the tire tread breaking off broke off the tire fender on that tire, bent the metal body of the car at the wheel well and somehow flew up and damaged my bumper. No one was injured. The rest of the tire stayed inflated long enough for us to exit the roadway and get to a safe place.( dot number: Vdhl1py018 tire size: 13575R15 )

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Mar 151999

Explorer 4WD

We experienced an unexplained blow out of our right rear tire driving down berthoud pass in the mountains of Colorado. Firestone replaced the tire at no charge. They found no explaination for the blowout. The weather was cold, Colorado in March, at a high elevation. Heat was not a factor. The tires had less than 5000 miles on them. We are very fortunate we did not lose control and plummet off of the mountain. This problem is not just occurring in warm southern states.( dot number: )

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Mar 012000

Explorer 4WD

Tire disintegrated( dot number: )

- Topeka, KS, USA

May 012000

Explorer 4WD

Had a blow-out one night after class around 9:00 pm. Thank goodness I was not traveling very fast. Then within the next 5-6 weeks, I had 2 flat tires. All this in aprox. 6 weeks is too many. At the time of the blow-out, my Explorer was under 20,000 miles. We could not find any reason for the blow-out or could we find any thing in the road or tire. It's been 3-4 months now but I am afraid something terrible still could happen. These tires are not good. Today on cnn they are recalling these tires. Are they recalling my tires too? hopefully so and asap I have a family with 2 children that I don't want hurt or killed. My work (304)291-9320 ask for charlotte orndoff, after 8-23-00( dot number: W2hi tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Morgantown, WV, USA

Aug 122000

Explorer

In may I was taking my son to hampton, SC. I had been on a secondary road for less then five miles when I heard a loud noise and subsequent difficulty maneuvering my SUV. Luckily driver's ed from 26 years ago clicked in and I was able to safely get my vehicle off to the side. As my son and I removed the spare and read the owner's manual, an off duty SC patrolman stopped to help change the tire. Everyone who saw it remarked that it looked different than the usual "blow-out" it looked like it exploded. I had the two tires replaced with Michelin tires on the right side and would like to know when I can get the others replaced. Despite the hot climate in coastal SC, my tires will be recalled last and I've already had one exploding tire! please advise me of what steps I should take next as I feel my life and that of others is in danger. Thank you, susan pressley( dot number: Tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Summerville, SC, USA

Aug 092000

Explorer 4WD

Tire recall concerns of safety and to change new tires ones by weekend( dot number: )

- Bound Brook, NJ, USA

Aug 092000

Explorer 4WD

I am concerned about my safety( dot number: )

- Roxboro, NC, USA

Jul 072000

Explorer 4WD

I was driving down 495 South bound in the far left lane going 65 mph when my right rear tire lost it's tread. I managed to get the vehicle safely off the road however the tire completely fell apart and I was ridding on the rim. When I reported the problem to Firestone on July 10th they denied it was a tire problem and made me pay to replace the same tire and pay to have it mounted. As of today 08/09/2000 they still deny my tire had any manufacture defect.( dot number: Tire size: P255/70R16 )

- Worcester, MA, USA