Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: How can we give the 2001 model year a "seal of pretty good" when it has some problems with a slipping transmission and a known problem with the speed activation control switch? Because it's not the 2002. That's how.

2001 Ford Explorer drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Explorer:

2001 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Feb 022011

Explorer Sport Eddie Bauer 3.2L V6

I don't like the fact that I have to put my vehicle in park to switch it from 2wd to 4wd and vise-versa. This is a pain in the butt, especially when there is snow, ice, large amounts of water, or mud. I live in a busy area, and no one is going to stop and wait while you put your truck in the next gear. I also have a problem when it goes back into 2wd there is a grinding noise and then it jumps into gear from 4wd. I haven't seen any similar complaints, it might just be my trucks mileage and age.

- , Washington, DC, USA