Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

1. replaced with rebuilt transmission (112 reports)
  2. replace transmission (85 reports)
  3. transmission needs to be recalled (81 reports)
  4. call Ford customer service and complain 800-392-3673 (63 reports)
  6. local mechanic fixed, not giving dealer any more business (18 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 4 of 22)

Feb 152012

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

This SUV didn't give any warning just sh*t the bed . Seeing as this is a sealed transmission and this had nothing to do with keeping up the maintenance, this should be on you ( FORD ) . Whatever possessed you to put this transmission in this vehicle, you should own up to your mistakes. I have NEVER had a transmission fail on me that I could do the maintenance on and if this tranny was one that I could have maintained then this wouldn't have happened ( Henry Ford must be rolling in his grave ). Too bad he isn't still around so he could fire all the dumb assess who came up with this transmission. This design fault is caused by the people who designed it not the ones who bought it or assembled it. It's just like that 2005 Freestyle ( which I also have) with the CVT transmission that none of your people know anything about ( but this is my next complaint ) . Your design team couldn't design a vehicle to save their own assess. Maybe they should get behind their vehicles and own up to these ass backwards engineers who created these disasters. Well as usual this will probably fall on deaf ears and nothing will be done for the consumers who fell for those bullshit commercials that praised these vehicles as being the best cars made.

Update from Mar 6, 2012: now all of a sudden my 4 wheel drive isn't working either and no codes are showing up for them either, gee the computer can't even diagnose these problems. Don't know what's going on but Ford needs to be held accountable for this dissaster of a vehicle. Again falling on deaf ears I'm sure , first our tax money bails out the automobile manufacturers and now due to their poor designs I'm paying again only out of my pocket personally . NEVER THOUGHT I'D PAY THIS MUCH FOR THIS VEHICLE , but I know Ford you don't care and probably NEVER will. As will I NEVER buy another ford product again.( your designers are idiots to say the least)

- , East Bridgewater, MA, USA

Jan 252012

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

Went to dealer to check out trans., I thought it was fine, had not noticed anything. They told me the transmission was shot, unrepairable. new one costs 5,000. I was so happy with the Explorer, even was thinking aobut buying a new one, or an Expedition, not any more. I never heard of a trasnmission that cannot be maintained, fluid checked, and that has total failue, never even used it to pull a boat. Disgraceful. Ford does not stand behind their products. O well back to Japanese brands.

- , Ny, NY, USA

Oct 092010

My 2002 Ford Explorer that I had new started sticking in gears and would make this revving type noise but was not going anywhere. I had to come off the gas then it would go into the other gear. When i stopped again at a light or junction the same thing all over. Took it to Crown Ford here and they could not get to it for two days so I had to rent a vehicle. They then told me that I would need a new transmission and gave me a price of $2528. 87 to replace the old transmission and labor at $776.69, Plus the shop support of $15. then tax for a total of $3627.71. I had just put $600+ in new tires the week before and they told me i'd get $2000. on the trade in.

Could not afford a new "used" one or anything so I had to go for it. I feel so screwed. Other people on here got theirs fixed for less. I did not think I would win with a trade in. I get 3yr 100,000 mile warranty. My ford has 75,500 miles on it. The newer ones they were showing me had almost as much miles on them.

- , Nashville, TN, USA

Feb 092012

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Ford needs to address the issues with the 2002 model year for the Explorer. This vehicle is garbage at best. Always had ford pickup trucks which were pretty good for reliability. The 2002 Ford Explorer is a disaster. It is the FIX OR REPAIR DAILY of all Fords. I know from reading about other owners that FORD Motor Company will do nothing about this vehicle. They cannot blame Firestone for this turd. I have never had to replace a transmission on any vehicle I have owned. On the Explorer it is Wheel Bearings Timing chains 4X4 control modules Coil springs that rust and break which could puncture a tire and cause a fatality. The transmission, window control modules and the list goes on. And once you put in the rebuilt tranny it will fail also. Ford Sucks as bad as the rest of them. No more for me. Buyer Beware the blue oval. P.S. I forgot about the exploding Pinto so the Explorer is #2

- , Medford, NJ, USA

Feb 092012

Explorer Eddie Bauer

Transmission problems in Ford Explorers are one of the most commonly complained about issues of any car on the road. With a typical repair cost over $2,000 it's easy to see why owners are so upset. One dealer even claims that 1 out of every 10 Explorer's from the early 2000 model years will have transmission failure at some point.

- , Trabuco Canyon, CA, USA

Dec 212011

Explorer XLT 4.0L

I am a 42 year old single mother of 4 children, without a running vehicle and no money to fix my transmission. The o/d light came on blinked a few times and my transmission went out instantly on the street with no prior warning. I called the dealer and they ran a check and said it was the servo boar????? that had been recently made into the transmissions, and that the whole transmission needed to be replaced!!!!!!!!!!!! This is crazy and a money making scheme by FORD MOTOR COMPANY because you used to be able to fix this problem fairly easily until they changed design.

- , Bardstown, KY, USA

Feb 012011

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

There is a definite problem when specific years/model become known for a consistent failure. It is even more irritating when Ford designs the unit to be unserviceable except for taking it to a Ford mechanic. Some car owners are that stupid, but many are not. I don't think a recall is necessary, but Ford should offer to replace the transmissions that have failed way too early in the life of the vehicle, or required multiple replacements.

- , Fairfax, VA, USA

Oct 012011

Explorer Limited V8

Two used transmission's were purchased by mechanic, both were bad as well. He traded mine in for these, now they cannot locate my old transmission that was sent in as trade. Unable to locate an additional used transmission, because there are so many transmission failures with this vehicle. I cannot afford a new one. Regardless a new one cost almost what the vehicle is worth anyway. I still have 6 months until payoff. Very disappointed that Ford Motor Company has ignored an obvious defect. They could at the very least discount a new transmission. My next move is to call the customer service line, "daily".

- , Crestwood, KY, USA

Oct 102011

Explorer XLS 6 cyl

transmission started to slip in early may of 2011 had explorer serviced and didnt help after one week it started to do it can not check the transmission fluid as you have to have a special tool. which i do not have.continue to drove it as it cost approximately 2800.00 to fix. this is a very big reason why the transmission shouldj have went.

- , Rome, NY, USA

Dec 212011

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

I purchased this vehicle new, upon retiring from the military based on past good experiences with Ford. A couple of years ago I had to replace the engine because, I was told, the timing mechanism had spun. Recently however, the OD OFF light has begun to occasionally light. Today, while driving to work the engine over revved (about 6000 rpm) and the car barely maintained previous speed going down hill. When I stopped for the light I was able to attain about 20 mph before the engine began over revving again. I was able to limp to work. I researched on the internet to find that this is a known issue but nothing is being done to correct it except to expect the customer to pay for a new transmission.

- , Smithfield, VA, USA

Aug 052010

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

I've seen a lot of post's for their transmission going bad. Just over 75k and I had to replace the transmission. For all the issues that I've had with transmission, rear springs breaking, leather seat ripping, a crack on the rear lift gate and a display that occasionally blinks, I will never buy a Ford again.

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Oct 192011

Explorer LX

Not sure what to do. people have had the problem 2,3,even 4 times with rebuilt trans. Would really like to find a different solution such as a different trans from a previous or later explorer? Ford really needs to step up and help find a better solution if they aren't going to take care of the problem.

- , Brownsburg, IN, USA

May 122010

Explorer XLT V8

This issue should be covered under a recall due to the fact they know this year model 1 in 10 have an transmission issue.

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 092011

I think Ford should recall the transmissions and repair the ones that are having problems with it and repay the ones that have had the transmission fixed with proof

- , Carthage, ME, USA

Sep 022011

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Ford I Mean Really,Have You Not Read Or Herd Enough About This Problem. Why Give Ford A bad Name. I Grew Up With Fords And Owned A 1996 Ford Explorer AWD Drove 4 12 yrs B4 I Had To Even Drop A Dime Into It. Why Do You Choose To Have People Suffer Over A Problem That You Really Should Step Up And Take Responsibility For. What More Can Be Said.....You Can't Blame The Driver. Do Understand This Is A Recall We All Have The Same Problems....Enough Said....

- , Massillon, OH, USA

Dec 172011

This is extremely frustrating. I am still paying for this car. I owe 5000.00 on it. I bought it a year ago and it had absolutely no problems and had been well taken care of. In fact, the engine is still in perfect shape, as per the read on the diagnostic machine. I have had no problems with this car until the transmission started acting up. One day it is fine, the next day, it is skipping and slipping out of gear, and then jamming into gear. It has 130,000 miles on it. It should not even need to be serviced until 150,000. We has the fluid checked, since it has no dip stick, we had to take it to a shop, and the fluid was not low. This is a faulty design made by ford and ford should be replacing it. I have owned four fords. Two were brand new off the dealer lot, the other two were used. This is the only one we have had an issue with, but it will the last. I will not be purchasing another ford product.

- , Dothan, AL, USA

Aug 302011

Explorer XLT 4.0L

I heard that these have weak transmissions, so before I bought one I found one that had the transmission overhauled already by the first owner @119,000 miles. (I bought the explorer with 122,000 miles on it). Had to overhaul it again at 130,000 miles and again at 132,000 miles. The most recent one was under warranty, but the tow bill was not covered. I still don't have it back yet. Both times the overhaul was done a very reputable transmission shop. I think the trans is just a bad design or something. This time they said it was a bad planetary gear set which was a Ford Part.

- , Portage, MI, USA

Nov 292011

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

I called the Ford customer service number and was told that it is a customer problem (I'm on my own). The thing about this that gets me is that it is a sealed transmission and there is no way of maintaining or monitoring the transmission on my own. Also, I understand that it has 143k miles but the scheduled maintenance is at 150k! Seriously, if I can't do anything to help it, it's Ford's issue!

- , Murfreesboro, TN, USA

May 012011

I'm still paying on a vehicle that doesn't move forward or backwards! With making payments on the loan I can't afford $2,000 for a new transmission. Called Ford, they said not enough people have made them aware of the problem so they don't have it listed as needing recall!!!!!

- , Coggon, IA, USA

Oct 252011

Explorer V6

I took my ford to a local Transmission shop. The owner stated this was a common problem on this make and model. He then gave me a quote and then called me in a couple of days and naturally it needed more work and money.

- , San Angelo, TX, USA