- August 13: Ford Faces Exhaust Odor and Carbon Monoxide Lawsuit news | 3 days ago
- August 10: Three Police Officers Sue Ford Over Carbon Monoxide Exposure news | 6 days ago
- August 2: Lawsuit Says Ford Lifted Trucks Have Wrong Jacks and Spare Tires news | 14 days ago
- August 1: 'Built Ford Tough' is Mere 'Puffery,' Says Federal Judge news | 15 days ago
- July 30: Ford and Mazda Want Out of Takata Recall of 2.7 Million Airbags recalls | 17 days ago
Rear Lift Gate Window Exploded
2002 Ford Explorer (Page 3 of 4)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 112,990 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 80 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace rear windshield (36 reports)
- ford should pay for it (27 reports)
- not sure (15 reports)
- had it repaired for $400 from dealer (1 reports)
- i have had to replace all these items with ford replacements (1 reports)
windows / windshield problem