Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

1. Ford should recall (222 reports)
  2. repair or replace tailgate (143 reports)
  4. replace the panel (28 reports)
  5. need a redesigned tailgate (22 reports)
  6. ford needs to pay for being fixed (13 reports)
2003 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2003 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 14 of 27)

Mar 032010

Explorer V8

I did not have it repaired but took our car into have it done assuming it would still be under the new purchase warranty agreement. We did by it used, however our dealership had a 6 month 6500 mile warranty with the purchase. Wouldn't you know it, the back panel was not covered. The auto body shop I took it to said that this repair was common and that there was a 95% chance that within a few years time I would be replacing it AGAIN. Why hasn't Ford recalled this?! It obviously is a problem and with all the issues of Toyota right now you would think they would not want that kind of reputation as well. The newer models do not have this same panel on the back, in my opinion Ford is in the wrong here and should be fixing this problem.

- , Lakeville, MN, USA

Mar 152010

Explorer Limited 3.2L V6

How annoying this problem is. I walked out one day and there was a big crack on the rear panel of my car. No dent, not scratched like someone might have hint it. Just a great big crack. That really pissed me off. And for as much money as we pay for our vehicles, crap like this should not brake so easy. Other wise they should lower the prices. I'm going to keep complaining until someone fixes it. GRRRRRRRRRRRR

- , Redding, CA, USA

Mar 012010

This is my second Explorer and I have been so very disappointed to see this crack in it! I wonder what is problem that is keeping Ford from fixing this. When my dealer said that the crack is a very common problem, I thought he was just being the usual used car salesman until I began to notice more and more vehicles. I am very happy with my Explorer but will probably research a few more options when its time for a new one.

- , Petal, MS, USA

Oct 142009

My husband come out one morning and found a crack in the rear panel just below the rear windshield. We thought maybe something hit it and caused this damage, but when we looked at it closer there was no sign of impact. We called the car dealer and they told us that they had heard of this and informed us that Ford will not pay for it. It will cost us $500 to fix it. This is rediculous expecially when it's a defect. Ford needs to fix this.

- , E. Stroudsburg, PA, USA

Feb 142010

Explorer Eddie Bauer 3.2L V6

Rear liftgate panel developed a crack next to FORD emblem. The cracked appeared after a cold day. Ford should cover the repair cost, given that so many explorers have developed the same problem.

- , Gainesville, VA, USA

Nov 282009

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

I have owned many fords in my life time and have three right now. My back glass has cracked and think ford should fix

- , Chatsworth, GA, USA

Feb 182010

Explorer V6

The crack first appeared 2/18/10 while in the parking lot of a Dr.'s office. We thought someone must have backed into us a fairly goodclip. It happened we were going to be near the body shop that repaired our "deer" damage a couple of years ago. He said this is a problem with this particular piece of plastic. He has repaired many, many of them. In his opinion Ford should be picking up the tab for this.

- , Conyers, GA, USA

Dec 182008

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

I too have been upset with the crack that appeared down the rear hatch on my 2003 Ford Explorer. It was in December so it happened to be in the cold weather. I not only have one crack but now have 2 more cracks. I take good care of my vehicles and have always had Ford vehicles. I agree with others and I may be looking at other Makes. I do like the Explorer but I am getting tired of paying for all these little problems I am experiencing with this model. It all adds up!

- , Bismarck, ND, USA

Feb 282010

Explorer XLS 4.0L V6

I had the panel completely fall off! the glue behind it wore away and when I took it into the car wash today the high pressure water finally knocked the panel completely off. I guess I should be thankful it didn't fly off on the highway!

Why is this even a separate stick-on panel? Why does the glass have to go down that far? Other designs of this type of vehicle have the glass only going as far as the bottom of the panel, and then the rest of the tailgate is made out of metal. Is it because you can open the glass portion separate from the tailgate? I'm still wondering.

I am going to try and call ford at the number provided (800-392-3673) and see if I can get a new panel paid for.

- , Reading, PA, USA

Mar 062008

Explorer AU Limited 4.6L

All the other Explorers that were sold at the same time have the exact same problem.Ford should recall and repair or replace all items on these models

- , Wanganui, Aramoho, New Zealand

Mar 262009

Explorer XLT V8

Called Ford customer service -spoke to a Christopher Ford will NOT fix .

Went to local Ford dealer -sent to the body shop and was given an estimate of $392.01 to fix.Dealer agree that Ford should fix atno cost to Ford owner he also stated he has seen many at his shop.

- , Springfield, MA, USA

Oct 062009

Explorer Eddie Bauer

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window

I have a 2003 Explorer (Eddie Bauer), garage kept, and the plastic below the glass on the back window has a crack by the Ford emblem about 7" long. I called the dealer, Beach Ford, and they said Ford will not cover the cost of the repair. I called the Ford customer # 1-800-392-3673 and filed a claim , they also said they have had no other complaints on this particular issue and would not cover it. There are five in my neighborhood that I have seen and I've seen others in the parking lots all over. i have even put flyers on other explorers and mountaineers (because it is also happening to them also) telling them to call the hot line and complain. all we can do is hope they get enought complaints and do something about it.

- , Chesapeake, VA, USA

Dec 192009

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L V8

Well, it happened to me. After reading all the complaints about this, my Explorer developed the same crack below the rear hatch glass area. Like the others, Ford Motor Company should be taking care of this problem if they want to retain future customers. Being in the retail business myself, I know how hard it is to get and retain loyal customers. Ford could go a long way in securing future customers if they just would take care of the ones they have. I myself, after being a loyal customer for over 30 years, will consider other manufacturers before buying next time.

- , Easley, SC, USA

Jan 242010

Explorer XLS 3.2L V6

This is our 2nd Ford. But if Ford does not fix it - I will be looking for a different brand. If there are so many complaints, it is obviously a design flaw - and Ford should take the responsibility to fix it whether it is under warranty or not. I will also complain to the the Feds about this.

- , Naperville, IL, USA

Dec 302009

Explorer LT 3.2L

The crack resulted in water leaking down through into the carpet. Horrible stick! Took silicon caulking to fill, so that at least the water wouldn't keep coming in. Live in WA, so rain/water is definitely an issue. Plus the crack looks UGLY. Also worried that the whole hatch is compromised and will cause the window to fall out eventually! Ford should recall and fix the problem at no charge to their customers. This is definitely a design flaw!

- , Sumner, WA, USA

Dec 102009

Explorer V8

This is a common problem for this year, make, and vehicle. My college age children's generation call it the "Ford Butt Crack". Instead of ignoring the problem, Ford should have been proactive in fixing it.

I always heard that Chevy's had electrical problems and Ford's had problems with the rear differentials. Between the two, the Chevy electrical problems are certainly easier to fix. I was looking to buy another truck for my business but after the problems I've had with this Explorer, I'll cross ford off my list and stick with a Chevy or Toyota.

- , Grovetown, GA, USA

Jan 012010

Explorer XLT V6

Since Ford has several hundred complaints with the exact problem there's probably twice as many unreported. Obviously this is a defect in that particular panel. I feel Ford should fix it. This is my third Ford Exploer and I am in the market for a new one. How this problem is handled is the deciding factor as to whether I buy another Ford.

- , No. Brunswick, NJ, USA

Dec 162009

Explorer EXL 6

I own a 2003 Ford Explorer which I purchased from my dad's estate a little over a year ago. My dad took excellent car of his car and he had a little over 30,000 miles on the vehicle when I took ownership of it. A crack appeared on the tailgate warning ...nothing......just showed up as a huge crack to the left of the Ford emblem. My dad was always a dedicated Ford man. He would have been ashamed of the shabby quality and the lack of concern from the manufacturer. DO THE RIGHT THING FORD!!!!!! This is a no brainer here. I will be purchasing a new car in the next 6 months. Do I need to eliminate Ford from my list? I need a vehicle that I can depend on and would prefer one that doesn't look like it was entered in a demolition derby after a few years!!

- , Orlando, FL, USA

Sep 012009

Explorer V8

I was amazed at how many people have the same issues with Ford....I have a 2003 Explorer and the heating system is shot to hell....I get the clicking noise as so many of the other consumers reported....I have the crack in the hatch....It's crazy...It's like they set us up to have these issues....It's 19 degrees today and I have to drive my wife's car (a Mitsu Montero 2000 with 200k + miles and still running, btw with heat) because there is no way I can stand to drive my Ford....And have to nerve to ask for a bail out and complain about Americans buying foreign....Eff them!!!

- , Wilmington, DE, USA

Oct 092006

Explorer NSX V6

Ford should definitely have this put on there recall list and have to replace the part.... Every freaking Explorer I see this model I see the same problem which is ridiculous.

- , Calhoun, GA, USA