Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

1. Ford should recall (222 reports)
  2. repair or replace tailgate (143 reports)
  4. replace the panel (28 reports)
  5. need a redesigned tailgate (22 reports)
  6. ford needs to pay for being fixed (13 reports)
2003 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2003 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 20 of 27)

Mar 042007

Explorer XLT V6

Wow... I was just playing around online and decided to do a Google search on this crack and look what I find? This is my third Ford and I didn't have this problem with the other two so naturally I thought I had done something wrong. It's amazing and rather sad that Ford has allowed this to go for so long. I won't be buying another Ford.

- , Corona, CA, USA

Oct 202008

Explorer V6

I came out one morning and found a huge crack in the rear panel just below the windshield right next to the ford emblem. There is nothing near or around the car that could have caused this and I could not figure out how this happened. A couple of days later I was in traffic behind another Ford Explorer and they had the same exact crack that is when I decided to further investigate this online. Figures they are doing anything about it. This is my 3rd explorer and my husband owns one as well. Guess we won't be buying anymore!

- , Mt. Pleasant, SC, USA

Nov 022008

Explorer LX V6

I was very upset when we went to go away and noticed the huge crack below the back window. The car had not been moved the day before so it had to happen while sitting under the carport overnight. I am planning on contacting the Ford dealer in town to see what if anything they will do. I don't have much confidence in dealerships when something like this happens. They usually plead ignorance to the problem.

- , Dillsburg, PA, USA

Jul 072008

Explorer XLT V6

I came out from the house to go to work, and there it was a crack from above the Ford emblem down below it. No one had hit my hard, ect. It just appeared. I have kept the car in clean condition and even covered at times, so I am frustrated that it would just appear, the dealers are stating that there is a complaint but not a recall. That it is not covered under warranty. I purchased the car 3 years ago. I need any help I can to get this replaced, and I should not have to pay for something I did not do to the car.

- , Buena Park, CA, USA

Jul 022008

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 4.6L

Same isue as many with the rear hatch cracking after a few years, this is a factory defect with almost all folks having to pay for this.

I just took my Explorer to the dealer and showed the issue and the service manager here in Livermore California knew of the issue. Happy to say that I just received the vehicle back with the plastic piece replaced free of charge.

However, I was prepared for a mini war with Ford and armed with a TSB from Ford mentioning that they will replace this issue free of charge. Many people here in this forum are working with dealers who just don't want to help as they all have a slush fund from Ford that can take care of this free.

Feel free in emailing me as I would be happy to send you the PDF file with TSB.

My email is

Hope this helps.

- , Livermore, CA, USA

Jan 252008

Explorer Limited V6

It is sad that Ford will not do anything about their wrong doing! I will not get another ford until they make right!

- , Bolling Afb, DC, USA

May 072008

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

This panel is made with cheap, crappy materials ! Ford saved a buck, and we got screwed! Crack is all the way down the center of the panel. Now water will get in !

Screwed again!

- , Minden, NV, USA

Oct 132008

Explorer Limited 3.6L V6

Ford is not interested in customer service and is losing business fast... The dealerships in Chicago are very hard to deal with and are clearly focused on profit first. I can't support this company any more and I'll share my story with many others..

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 182008

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

I thought this was only my problem. After finding this website, it really p----- me off that Ford will not take any responsibility for this defective part. Just goes to show why American manufacturers are suffering.

From what I read this may happen more than once. Makes me wonder if I should wait to get if fixed until right before I sell it. I suppose I'll call my Ford dealer and at least get a quote. Hopefully it doesn't sting too bad.

- , Westminster, CO, USA

Jan 022008

Explorer 6.4L

I have kids and i hope the glass don't fall out on them. We don't used the back hatch any more, but it is hard to get food from the store and have to put all the food on top of my kids in the back seat. I had a car.I got the ford to have more room.But now don't even have a trunk.And there is no recall.I have saw 3 people in my location with the same problem and same model.Is there help. All I am told is there is no recall or body shop but I don't do it. I had a woman at wal-mart say man that looks bad.I will send pictures. April

- , Grove Hill, AL, USA

Aug 222008

Explorer 6.4L

rear panel cracked.please recall the panel u have money. Ford needs to fix it

- , Grove Hill, AL, USA

Jul 102006

Explorer XLT V6

With all of these complaints you'd think that Ford would do a recall. Most Explorers you see in front of you with this body style has the same crack in the same place. Very cheap design. Come on Ford...fix it or I'll go with a GMC Acadia!!!

- , Jonesboro, AR, USA

Mar 012007

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L V8

Are you serious???!! Body panels breaking for no reason??!! I don't even use the glass lift gate, how could this stupid thing break? Anybody given any consideration to water getting into the crack, or cracks in my case, and rusting out the lift gate?

It's a known problem in Ford because they obviously redesigned around this issue in the newer models. As usual...if it doesn't cost lives...Ford won't do anything about it.

- , Toledo, OH, USA

May 032008

Very interesting that so many others have the same gripe...Merely coincidental...Hmmmmm....I think not.

- , Scottsdale, AZ, Afghanistan

Feb 012008

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Another unhappy ford owner called the 800 number and talked to customer service at ford corporate office told me tough, so much for getting my 2003 explorer 6 inch crack fixed by the ford emblem on tail gate!! never again will I purchase a ford product..

- , tiffin, OH, USA

Jan 112008

Explorer XLT V6

This is the second 2006 Ford Explorer I have purchased and this incident has happen to both vehicles. This is absurd and FORD should be fixing this problem if they know its a known issue and I am sure they have heard about plenty of times to meet its customers half way on the issue.

I say lets start a petition and get there freaking attention.

- , Round Rock, TX, USA

Feb 122006

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

This whole problem is sad for Ford. They don't need this. I've bought at least 5 new

Ford cars/trucks in the last few years and refuse to buy another unless they decide

to step up and fix this design problem. It's not just a cracked panel but how they honor

their customers when they have a problem. Remember Ford - without satisfied customers, failure is the result.............

- , Midlothian, VA, USA

Dec 272004

Noticed large crack in the plastic under the rear window. Called the Ford dealership about the recall notification of the rear window crashing down on some vehicles. Asked if this crack was part of the recall. I was assured that it was part of the recall and would be no charge to fix. The mileage on my vehicle would not cover under warranty. Hopefully, the dealership does not charge me for repairs.

- , Merrimac, MA, USA

Mar 142006

Day after "no charge" recall #04S20 was completed to replace liftgate glass hinge, I noticed a 6" crack in the tailgate molding under the liftgate glass the first time I went to open the tailgate. (one day after the repair) Service Dept. says this is just a defect the Explorers have, and they are not responsible for the crack. Cost to replace cracked panel - $500. Freedom Ford, Pueblo, Colorado Dealership.

- , Pueblo West, CO, USA

Jun 012007

Explorer LS V6

I'm glad to see that others are having the same problem. I'm going to get this fixed or start a class action suit against them. Clearly this is a design flaw.

- , Livermore, CA, USA