CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

6.6

1. Ford should recall (222 reports)
  2. repair or replace tailgate (143 reports)
  4. replace the panel (28 reports)
  5. need a redesigned tailgate (22 reports)
  6. ford needs to pay for being fixed (13 reports)
2003 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2003 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 21 of 27)

Apr 132008

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window

Just noticed this on Saturday 4/12/08. I though a rock hit it while driving or something else. I'm glad to here this is a on going issue. I am going to the local Ford Dealer today to see how much its going to cost and if they will cover it. I will keep everybody informed of my results

- , Mechanicsville, MD, USA

Feb 162008

Explorer XLT V6

I was extremely annoyed that this happened and have noticed several other Explorers on the road with the same problem. Has Ford fixed this problem for anyone and if so, was your vehicle still under factory warranty?

- , Statesville, NC, USA

Mar 052008

Explorer V6

Seems ford has a design problem and should cover this.

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Mar 142008

Explorer XLT 4.0L

I too have the same problem as many of the other people on this site. I began by e-mailing ford. I got the run-a-round. I contacted the dealer. They told me to contact the Ford CRC. The crc advised me to get the vehicle looked at. My local dealership doesn't have a body shop, so I took it to another local shop. The Ford crc said they would not accept the local shops estimate. They told me if I wanted to fix it they would "help". I would have to pay $50 of $300 or less repair and $100 over $300. I informed them the offer was absolutely unacceptable. I feel this is a flaw from the manufacturer that should be fixed entirely whether the vehicle is under warranty or not. My wife wants the problem fixed. I agree, however, after the poor customer service I feel Ford has relayed to myself and lots of others, I will not accept their token repair. I am in a customer related business. If we handled customers this way, we would not stay in business long. We must be doing something right. My company has been around for 100 years. I have also submitted a complaint to the NHTSA at their website.(www.nhtsa.gov) I encourage many others to do the same. Hopefully there will be strength in numbers.

- , North Platte, NE, USA

Mar 102004

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L V8

OK, so Ford fixed it. I only had the car for less than 4 months but it took several weeks for the replacement part to come in. Was it fixed? No...it didn't crack again, but the panel won't stayed glued in place. It has been re-glued by Ford numerous times and of course as soon as the warranty was up Ford, said "too bad". This is an on-going problem that I should not have to pay for.

This car has been nothing but trouble since I bought it. I have had wheel bearings replaced numerous times. I am also on my 3rd set of brakes...my last explorer had almost 90,000 miles on it before it needed brakes. This one needed the first set at 55,000.

This is my 3rd Explorer but it will be my last.

- , Red Hook, NY, USA

Mar 052007

Explorer 4.6L

I took my explorer back for recall on the rear window hinges being loose but they wouldn't repair the panel under the recall. But that's why the panel cracked - from having to slam the glass hatch the hinges being out of line............But what ever, that's FORD CHEAP!!!!!!!

- , Macon, GA, USA

Feb 212008

Explorer XLT V6

I noticed my neighbor had the same issue and I have seen other explorers with this crack. I was doing a web browse and I saw that I am not alone at being upset about this problem. I plan to call Ford Customer Service about this and I will see what happens. This crack is just ugly and Ford should do something about it.

- , Jamestown, NC, USA

Feb 182008

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

Explorer has been garage kept and maintained excellent with wax. Paid for the Premium Warranty and Ford states this problem is not covered - states it is considered a piece of Molding. If Ford opts not to fix this problem - which lowers the resale value due to their design flaw - I will personally see to it that My or any of my extended family never buys a Ford Product again. I will also have my input as a fleet manager to stay clear of Ford. I have had a great report with Ford until this happened. Ford needs to step up and fix this problem and not expect the consumer to pay for their flaw.

Thomas Hickenbottom

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Mar 242008

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

• CVT transmission

My Explorer has been garaged at night since we bought it and yesterday we go out to the car to load sports equipment in it and my husband goes what happen to your car and there is a big huge vertical crack running down the panel just south of window. The car has never been in an accident or hit in any way so obvious it must be a defect. So, I call the Ford service dealer and he knew exactly what I was talking about and he said 'I see that a lot in here'. So I go 'there must be a recall' he goes 'no but you can call Ford', so I call Ford and they are absolutely stonewalling me and didn't even acknowledge that this was a persistent problem, nor did they acknowledge the tech. bulletin on it until I mentioned it and the amount of vehicles the service manager said he was seeing. So I asked that they replace the panel on their dime because obviously this panel is defective. They go 'there is nothing we can do!' So get a case # when you call and only then if there is enough will there ever be possible recall and then and only then will you see your money. FORD does not back their product. I will never ever buy another FORD and to think this was my third Ford vehicle - never again!

- , Clovis, CA, USA

Oct 182007

Explorer XLT V6

Ok is this enough, what good does it do to vent with no results? I went to my local Ford dealer, and wants Me to pay 200$, and why I ask, he said he didn't know?????? Can we get a campaign going directly to Ford, I am sure with the state of the automobile industry, they don't need any bad press......I honestly and fortunately have not had another single problem with this car in 5 years. So why is Ford playing "See no evil, Speak no evil with us?" Anybody game?

- , Newnan, GA, USA

Nov 152006

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Crack runs down next to the logo. Ford needs to recall this!

- , Poplar Grove, IL, USA

May 152007

Explorer XLS V6

We woke up one morning and found that the tailgate panel had a vertical crack that ran from top to bottom. We have never had an accident in the car and the car does not experience temperature extremes. It seems that at least 1 of every 3 Explorers of this body style that we see on the freeway have the same problem. The Ford dealer told us that it has not been recalled and that it will cost $250-300 to fix. This is clearly a widespread problem that Ford has implicitly acknowledged by changing the body style in later model years. I plan to call customer service (800-392-3673) and make them pay for at least a portion of the repair (a strategy that has worked in the past). If you have this problem you should call in and make them suffer for manufacturing a defective product!

- , Pasadena, CA, USA

Apr 262007

Explorer XLT V8

Today I spoke with Ford of Canada Customer service (1-800-565-3673). I indicated my vehicle had a crack in the panel that contained the Ford logo, about 2 inches to the right of the logo, that extended from the top of the panel to the bottom. They indicated they had zero interest in me if I was not under the distance or time warranty. Like many others, my Explorer was parked in the garage when this happened. One evening we just came out and there it was. The representative on the phone indicated she'd never heard of this issue before, WHICH was in contrast to the Ford Repairman I spoke to in December who said every other Explorer they see has the same problem.

I asked if they cared about Ford drivers and the only answer they gave was that I was not covered by the warranty.

I love my truck but this is ridiculous.

Derrick

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

- , Waterloo, ON, Canada

Mar 152007

Explorer

Crack occurred in March of 2007. It just appeared one day that was not particularly cold. I thought someone had tried to pry open my tailgate. Took it to Ford dealer to ask if they had heard of this problem and they said no, never. I asked the dealer if this was a defect that they would fix, and they said no.Due to this incident and other paint issues I will never buy another Ford.

- , Indianapolis, IN, USA

May 072007

Explorer LX V6

I NOTICED ONE DAY A CRACK GOING DOWN THE PLASTIC PANEL ON THE BACK HUTCH. I HAVE SEEN THIS SAME DEFECT ON OTHER EXPLORERS WHILE DRIVING AROUND TOWN. SAME EXACT LOCATION!!

- , Webster, TX, USA

May 162007

Explorer

I called the 800 number and was told by "SAM" this was the first complaint he has received. He has been working there since January of 2007. When I asked to speak to his superior he said I would be told the same thing. Ford will not fix it since I am past the 3 years 30K. I have a bumper to bumper that he said would not cover it as well. When asked a second time to speak with his superior he supposedly transferred me... but there was no connection. I waited on the phone only to hear a busy tone and then realized I was disconnected.

To file a complaint with Ford he said write Ford a letter:

Ford Motor

Customer Relationship Center

P. O. box 6248

Dearborn, MI 48126

- , Haymarket, VA, USA

Dec 282007

Explorer XLT 4.0L

My complaint is that I have a 2003 Ford Explorer. One day I came out and saw a long crack in the panel and I researched online and went to Ford Dealers to see if

this was ever recalled. I have gotten no where with this and feel that The Ford

Company should recall this. After still calling and researching, I found that other

people are experiencing the same problem from US to the Caribbean. WIndows,

rear windows and other faulty parts falling out. This is my 4th vehicle from Ford and

this is my last.

- , New Castle, DE, USA

Jan 022008

Explorer

Bought the vehicle in June of last year with 73000 miles on it, but if was in real good shape. Noticed some months later (showed Jan 2, 2008) the crack in the panel from top to bottom next to the Ford symbol. I haven't gone to the dealer to get an estimate for repairs, but plan to in the future. From what I've seen on this site, it will probably stay cracked.

- , South Williamson, KY, USA

Jul 122007

Explorer Sport V6

Just wanted to add to the rest of the collection on this site. I feel that Ford should step up to the plate and fix the problem

- , Lake Zurich, IL, USA

Feb 152008

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

Basically Ford was the hardest company to deal with, This was a defect discovered by Ford when then installed this panel. There was only 1 factory that was covered by the warranty on this issue and unless you can tell them the Factory they claim that it is not not covered. I cant tell you how many I see on the road with the same problem. I will never allow myself or family to purchase Ford again.

- , Chicago, IL, USA