CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

6.6

1. Ford should recall (222 reports)
  2. repair or replace tailgate (143 reports)
  4. replace the panel (28 reports)
  5. need a redesigned tailgate (22 reports)
  6. ford needs to pay for being fixed (13 reports)
2003 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2003 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 27 of 27)

Dec 142006

Explorer ES V6

this problem says a lot for the auto industry. they are building vehicles cheaper by using plastic, it doesn't matter after they are sold that they are no going to last even 3 years before the body work starts tearing up.

- , Sylvania, GA, USA

Jan 042007

Explorer XLT V8

We own our 3rd Ford Explorer..... and never had a problem like this rear window panel crack. .... and we are extremely upset about the company's lack of assistance.... Dealer estimate was $648 so we are checking other estimates. Does anyone know how we can get Ford to realize that this is a huge problem and they need to take responsibility for it..... I can't believe how many people have had the exact same problem. How can we get statistics on how many cars have this?

- , Ivoryton, CT, USA

Dec 272006

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

The plastic panel on mine cracked top to bottom, about 2 inches to the left of the FORD emblem. Panel cracked while NEW ENGINE was being installed (how's that for adding insult to injury)!!! After reading reports on this site, I don't believe the dealer caused the problem. Dealer reported no recalls or factory assistance for the problem, but will fix it for $300 + tax. They told me that the new plastic piece has been redesigned and should not crack again. Can anyone confirm this?

- , Brookfield, WI, USA

Dec 212006

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L V8

I had heard of many Explorers developing a vertical crack thru the trim panel below the rear glass. Today 12/20/06, mine cracked open about 1/8". The car was washed, and while drying the vehicle noted the NEW crack. It appears to be a very common occurrence with all the Explorers of this design. I have not yet contacted my dealer to see what they will do about repairing / replacing the part.

- , Bakersfield, CA, USA

Dec 192006

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

It seems my explorer has the same problem than a lot of explorers (cracked panel). We went to the Ford dealership. They sent us to a first body shop. This body shop made us a estimate quote of $1600!!! So we went back to the Ford dealership. They sent us to another body shop. This time it was better, $260, but it's just an estimate. We talked more with the dealership people and they told us to call the Ford customer relationship center @ 800-392-3673. I did it. I waited patiently to hear at the end something I've already been told: not a recall, not under any warranty... no financial help. And she didn't want to listen to my arguments. She kept asking if I understood what she was telling me and if I was satisfied by the answer... We'll pay, because I want to get rid of this car and buy a brand new Honda Odyssey with a real customer relationship center.

- , Rock Hill, SC, USA

Dec 112006

Explorer XLT

Crack in rear hatch. Starts at bottom of window, 3 to 4 inches right of window center and moves vertically downward through the hatch door. (upper half of back lift gate)

Taking to local dealer in the morning and don't expect much from the other listings reviewed here on AutoBeef. Any help please leave comments !! Phone number at FORD Headquarters? I have always been a FORD Man........ beginning to wonder if the quality is going to make me change?

- , Missouri City, TX, USA

Dec 062006

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Wife called and stated the rear hatch panel was cracked (i thought, here we go again). Googled the problem and found all the complaints on Autobeef and advised the wife to take the car to the local dealer. Dealer was nice and stated he would do what he could. I called another dealer and was advised he sees case after case of this and Ford has yet to handle the first case through his dealership. He advised me to give FORD Customer Service a call @ 1-800-392-3673. I did, call took about 30 min total. Less than 2 hrs later I received a call stating Ford was taking care of the entire bill through my local dealer and apologized for any inconvenience. I call the local dealer and spoke w/ the service manager and he advised he was shocked and had also already ordered the part. I honestly had no idea i would receive this kind of service after what all I had read here.. In essence, if any here have not called the customer care line you may want to do so... Good luck... Just thought I should give praise where praise is do.. Also to add, we had no extended warranty whatsoever...

- , Summerfield, NC, USA

Dec 052006

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

Noticed the crack to the left of the emblem from top to bottom today while closing the tailgate. Clearly this is a design defect if this plastic piece is broken and not the glass. Very troubling that Ford is not stepping up to fix this design issue.

- , Laguna Niguel, CA, USA

Dec 082006

Explorer V6

It's sad to see I'm not the only one with the lift gate problems. I was astonished to see that my Explorer would just "crack." I definitely won't be buying another Ford.

- , Ooltewah, TN, USA

Dec 042006

Explorer XLT V6

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT. I walked out this weekend and saw a large crack extending from just below the tailgate window, down around the Ford emblem and then down to the bottom of that panel. I haven't yet gone to the dealership, as I just saw it yesterday. However, I went online to see if there had been any other similar complaints, and obviously there have. American car manufacturers gripe that Americans buy foreign made vehicles, but frankly, a person can see why that becomes a more and more viable option. I should not have a part on my car that just cracks in two for no obvious reason. If they say it's due to the cold, my response will be that I live in Orlando, FL and the temperature during the weekend that the crack occurred was not even 50 degrees. Ford needs to get real and stand behind their product!

- , Apopka, FL, USA

Nov 062006

Explorer XLT 4.3L V6

Well, I see I am adding another complaint to the list. I noticed over the weekend that the back panel below the back glass on my Explorer is cracked all the way down! Not just a hairline crack either, it is about 1/4 inch wide, top to bottom. This is crazy! You pay $30,000 for a vehicle and the body justs starts cracking up, what is going to happen next? Is the whole panel going to fall off while I am driving down the road? I called my local dealership and they told me that it was not covered because the factory warranty has past. Well this is considered a defect in my book and Ford needs a recall on this. I have replaced the transfer case and the rear end in this vehicle just last year and now this happens. I will never buy another one.

- , Athens, GA, USA

Nov 222006

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L

The panel crack appeared after 2 days of overnight temps of freezing or below. I have a call into the Ford dealership which I am sure will not take care of this. The crack is to the left side of the Ford emblem and is from the top to bottom of the panel below the window.

(We have already quit buying Fords. My husband's wheel came off of his new pickup -1 payment had been made-.. They would not cover it and said we would have to sue to get anything from them the dealership was Varsity Ford in College Station, TX. Lo and behold our insurance company did and guess what????? They paid for the repairs that were made at another body shop - several thousands of dollars - thank God no one was hurt of killed).

- , College Station, TX, USA

Nov 042006

Explorer XLT

2003 ford explorer 58,000 miles now has that infamous rear panel crack. The crak is about 5 inches long , an eye sore. Ford knows this is a design flaw and should have a recall on this problem. Everything seems to work but that rear panel crack is unsightly. Man up ford and fix these problems.

- , Fayetteville, NC, USA

Nov 132006

Explorer 3.2L V6

While returning home from a trip, we noticed a vertical crack in our tailgate on the left hand side below the window. There was no evidence of it before the day started and we had minimal luggage in back with nothing pressing against the tailgate. When we stopped for gas and opened the rear hatch, we noticed the crack.

The concern I have is that water can now get inside the crack and it has the potential to cause problems, not to mention that it looks really bad. From what I've read, this problem has affected multiple 2002 Explorers and nothing can be done. Even replacing won't help since it can happen again and more cracks can appear as time goes on.

My plan is to ask a dealer if they will fix it but I don't have a lot of expectation unless Ford issues a recall on it. FYI - we did have the hinge recall fix applied a couple of years ago.

- , Kenmore, WA, USA

Nov 132006

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

I was leaving the grocery store and had a bag full of groceries. When I hit unlock on my keys, I accidentally hit the blue button that opens the back window. I reached up with my free hand and pushed on the Ford emblem to shut the window and the door cracked above and below the emblem. I took it to the Ford place because I had the extended warranty and they told me it wasn't covered. While I was waiting to talk to him, I talked with a woman with a 2002 Explorer who was there for the same thing! I love this vehicle and have had no other problems, except that the seat belts are slow to wind back up. However this really bugs me because Ford won't replace them. It is obviously a design problem.

- , Port Arthur, TX, USA

Nov 122006

Explorer Eddie Bauer

My sister just took my car for the weekend. Came out this morning and noticed the crack below the window. I googled to see just to find out information on the problem - looked to see if there was a recall - not.

As there are quite a few of these problems - I will not be fixing it on my own. My car is no longer under warranty and looking at the reports, it would not matter anyway.

- , Little Elm, TX, USA

Nov 112006

Explorer XLT

Same problem with the cracking on my 2003. It started in the winter but vehicle was still under warranty. They have fixed it 4 times now with a new panel and glued back on. Never paid for one and car has 65,000 on it now but it all stems from original warranty. I can now hear the stress noises coming from the tailgate on some turns but especially going over bumps. If I drive with the tailgate open, the noise goes away. Not sure if its the latch but it's just a matter of time before it comes off again, like it's being torqued. Doesn't even crack, just comes off from the stress. Tailgate may not be aligned well or just poor design but driving around with tape to keep it from flying off is the only solution not to kill person behind me one day. Ford should look into this. Too many complaints from folks like us who did a google search just to see if we are not alone. I bet there are thousands and dealership even admitted they had seen it before. Come on guys, put one of the engineering geniuses to work and solve this problem or be prepared to foot the bill!

- , HIlton Head Is., SC, USA

Sep 072006

Explorer

I went skiing and came back with a crack straight through the back panel below the glass. I contacted my local dealership when I got back and they were not willing to help me out, so I drove an hour and a half to the Kenly Ford Dealership where I bought my car. There again, no one willing to help. I have a Ford extended warranty, which is of no help in this case. I called the Ford Customer Service line, and they logged my complaint and that was the last I heard of them. I even sent a letter to my local TV station to help run a "buyer beware" type story, but they suggested that I take my complaint to the national transportation web site. Here is the address, for people interested.

NHTSA web site

This may be the only way to get something done. I refuse to fix my car. I am planning to have a bumper sticker made with an arrow pointing to the crack with a comment about Ford's commitment to customer service.

- , Oxford, NC, USA

Sep 112006

Explorer XLT

WITHOUT IMPACT OR OTHER KNOWN CAUSE, THE LIFTGATE IS CRACKING BEGINNING AT THE BOTTOM OF THE LIFTGATE WINDOW AND CONTINUING DOWN ABOUT 6" BESIDE AND BELOW THE FORD EMBLEM. THIS SHOULD BE A PRODUCT DEFECT TAKEN CARE OF BY FORD.

- , Bethlehem, GA, USA

Nov 292006

Explorer XLT V6

WHEN I PURCHASED THIS SUV THIS CRACK WAS NOT THEIR 4 MONTHS AGO. I LOOKED THIS FORD UP AND DOWN FRONT TO BACK LOOKING FOR DAMAGE AND THIS BIG CRACK WAS NOT THEIR. FORD SHOULD STEP UP TO THE PLATE, BECAUSE THIS IS A TRUE DESIGN DEFECT. //////////// I HAVE SEEN OTHER SUV'S IN MY AREA WITH THE SAME PROBLEM.//////////////// MY 1994 ISN'T MADE THIS WAY/////////////// I GUESS THATS WHY THEY WENT BACK TO THE OTHER DESIGN RIGHT (2006-2007). CHECK IT OUT//////////// HOW ABOUT IT FORD HELP US OUT.

- , Houston, TX, USA