6.4

1. waiting for Ford to recall (293 reports)
  3. replace panel (115 reports)
  4. possible class action lawsuit (62 reports)
  5. call Ford motor company 1-800-241-3673 (27 reports)
  6. do not buy Ford again (25 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 14 of 38)

Jan 012006

Explorer XLS V6

My Ford Explorer's tailgate cracked near the logo. I have seen scores of Ford Explorers with the same problem. I have called the dealer and they will not fix it because there is not a recall. It is obviously a manufacturing/design problem. It is a shame that a company like Ford treats its customers this way. If this is not fixed I will not buy/recommend Ford again.

- , San Juan, PR, Puerto Rico

Oct 012011

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

I spoke to the Service person at Jim Click Ford in Tucson and he said that it also happened to his car. He said there was no recall and it "only" cost $750 so he just got it fixed. He suggested that I call Ford Motor.

I called Ford Motor Customer Service. Very calm and soothing voice told me that there was not recall and there was no customer satisfaction program regarding the issue and that he recommended that I do take it in to a Ford dealership and have it diagnosed. I reminded him that I spoke to a Service Rep who had the same issue. Didn't need to have it "diagnosed". He recommended that I also save all my receipts in case it is recalled. Please. My next contact is Jim Click who owns the dealership.

- , Tucson, AZ, USA

Sep 102011

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

I think Ford has a series design flaw that they should fix since it is so wide spread. I have babied the car when closing because of seeing so many vehicles with the problem. Mine finally broke too. It looks terrible and takes away from the value when it is time to trade or sell. Will seriously look at vehicles other than Ford if nothing is done about it.

- , Anderson, SC, Albania

Oct 152010

Explorer

Call this number its Fords Customer Satisfaction hotline. 1-800-392-3673 to skip the garbage and speak to a rep press 1,5,1,2,2.

I spoke with a rep and she said there were no other customer complaints about this. I attempted to direct her to this site but she refused to look. She stated, unless a customer calls in and complains then we have no idea of the issues, we do not look at online sources. Please call in and complain so we may avoid such a costly repair.

I'm so disappointed in Ford...

- , Inez, KY, USA

May 102010

Explorer 3.2L V6

like other owners i noticed the crack and thought i caused it. then i started seeing others with the exact crack. whats going on

- , Indianapolis, IN, US

Oct 052010

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Last year I noticed a crack under my rear window and at first I thought one of the kids closed the lift gate too hard. So I took it in to a auto shop to have it repaired and not even a couple of months later it happens again! Then one of my friends noticed my crack and said that every ford explorer they see no matter what year, has a crack right there. So when I'm out driving I will look at every explorer that so happen to pass and notice that this is so true! Why does Ford not do anything about this? I

- , Little Rock, AR, USA

Aug 192011

Explorer Eddie Bauer

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window

the crack in the rear panel is a problem in a lot of fords. after i noticed the crack in mine, i started noticing other fords that i passed and saw the same problem. With the same thing going on in so many fords, this should be a recall. There is nothing that the owners did to cause this crack. one day its not there, the next day it was. Has to be a defect and ford should be responsible for fixing.

- , Clinton, MD, USA

Oct 192011

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Not sure how Ford cannot issue a recall as this is clearly a manufacturing defect. Looks ridiculous, and is a daily reminder that maybe Ford isn't so great after all. :(

- , Waxhaw, NC, US

Sep 012011

Explorer XLT V6

From what I see on the computer lots of people have the same problem. I think

Ford should stand behind their cars better than this. We went to a body shop

and they say it would cost 700.00 to 800.00 to replace the whole back window

and that was the only way it could be fixed.

- , Conchas Dam, NM, Uruguay

Jun 012009

Explorer XLT V6

My back window panel also cracked. My vehicle is garage kept both at home and work so it's not a sun or weather related issue.

It's annoying that so many people are having this problem and Ford is not addressing it.

- , St. Louis, MO, USA

Sep 152011

Explorer XLT V6

I thought I was one of the lucky ones. A crack in the paint yesterday turned into a full blown broken panel today. Dealer & Ford both said sorry 'bout your luck pal.My 1st car was an '85 Thunderbird & have owned/leased 10 brand new Fords since '95 with very few problems. I am just amazed at the total lack of customer service at all levels.

- , Canandaigua, NY, US

May 012008

Explorer Limited 3.2L V6

very ugly defect on back panel went too dealer said not their problem

- , Hot Springs National Park, AR, US

Jan 012009

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

I went to my local dealership about my cracked panel, they said they've had other owners come in with the same problem. This was a design flaw. Dealership suggested I contact the Ford Motor Co. via email. Ford Motor Co said they will not fix the panel, because there's no recall. I've seen at least 5-6 other Ford Explorer's with the same crack on the back panel, slightly different locations on the panel around the Ford emblem. So there must be thousands nation wide. We've purchased other Ford's before and would have purchased again. But because of this, I informed them they have lost a loyal customer. I suggest that others do the same, if Ford can't stand by their product.

Bye, bye Ford.

- , San Lorenzo, CA, USA

Jun 302011

Explorer XLT V6

I was so excited when I purchased my beautiful mint condition 2004 ford explorer! Then the rear plastic panel under the window cracked!!!! I am so frustrated because every time I open and close the rear door it gets worse no matter how gentle I am. I feel that ford should definitely repair this problem because it is a faulty design and very expensive to repair and pointless because my ford mechanic has informed me that it would just crack again. The mileage is low and I intend to drive this car until it dies but I would not buy a ford again and would not recommend one to a friend. Stand up and take personal responsibility Ford! It may be cosmetic but when you spend thousands of dollars on a car that you love and are proud of you don't want a big crack down the back of your car!!!!!

- , Tulsa, OK, USA

Sep 072010

Explorer XLT V6

Crack just appeared. Sometimes the back hatch opens on its own due to the crack. Has done this several times whether driving or parked. Have seen several other vehicles on the road with this same crack. My dad was a die-hard Ford believer and wouldn't buy anything else. Hence, I bought one. Now reqretting it due to Fords obvious (so far) refusal to recall and fix.

Update from Mar 15, 2012: I went to Ford and inquired about the crack in the rear hatch. I was told it was a stress fracture. I disagree as there are to many vehicles with this problem. I refuse to pay to fix it as I feel Ford should. I am looking to trade it in and get something else. I've always bought Ford but unless Ford honors this issue I won't be buying another Ford.

- , Lebanon, TN, US

Aug 012009

Explorer XLT V6

OUR 2004 FORD EXPLORER XLT IS A BEAUTIFUL VEHICLE. I LOVE THE COLOR IT STILL LOOKS GREAT WHEN IT'S WASHED AND CLEANED UP UNTIL YOU WALK AROUND TO THE BACK AND SEE THE FIRST CRACKED AND NOW BROKEN WITH ABOUT A 2 IN PIECE MISSING OFF THE PANEL BELOW THE BACK GLASS. I KNOW IT'S NOT JUST US BECAUSE I SEE MORE EXPLORERS AROUND OUR YEAR MODEL WITH BROKEN BACK PANELS THAN NOT ON THE ROAD.

COME ON FORD! IF YOU WANT US TO BUY AMERICAN AND CONTINUE TO BUY FORD THEN STAND BEHIND YOUR PRODUCT! OBVIOUSLY 9 OUT OF 10 PEOPLE WHO OWN THIS YEAR RANGE/BODY STYLE AREN'T SLAMMING THE HECK OUT OF THE BACK DOOR.. RECALL AND FIX IT ALREADY!!

- , Roopville, GA, USA

Sep 072010

Explorer

One day I noticed a large crack right next to the Ford logo on the rear hatch. When driving around I have been looking for Ford Explorers with the same problem. I would say at least 50% of similar year Explorers have this problem. Is Ford doing anything about this?

- , Venice, FL, USA

Jan 022009

Explorer V6

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window

The rear panel in my Ford, which I bought brand new, has cracked. I'm noticing it on tons of other Ford Explorers and I feel the company needs to step up and fix this problem.

- , Oregon City, OR, USA

Aug 102009

Explorer Eddie Bauer

Since this is the #1 Ford complaint, I think there should be a recall, which is what I have been waiting for.

- , Linn Creek, MO, USA

Apr 062011

Explorer V6

2004 Ford Explorer - cracked rear back panel was replaced in 2008. New panel cracked in April of 2011. Dealership wants $640 for new defective panel and stated new panel would probably have to be replaced in a few years. So why doesn't Ford change the design? Ford Corp. said a recall would go into effect if there were enough complaints. Apparently not enough of us are complaining. Please contact Ford Corp @ 800/392-3673 and register a complaint so this defective part can be recalled. I really don't want to pay for a new panel knowing it's going to crack again.

- , Hayward, CA, USA