6.4

1. waiting for Ford to recall (293 reports)
  3. replace panel (113 reports)
  4. possible class action lawsuit (62 reports)
  5. call Ford motor company 1-800-241-3673 (27 reports)
  6. do not buy Ford again (25 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 29 of 38)

Jun 222006

Explorer XLT 4.0L

I have seen lots of these in my area. my mother even calls me to tell me she is behind one on the road at least once a week. it also upsetting because its ugly and I pay a lot of money and keep up with maintenance and detailing of the truck i love so much!!! also i had to quit work to take care of 87 yr. old grandmother who has had a stroke and has very bad dementia. i can't afford to get it fixed. IT SHOULD BE A RECALL AS MANY AS I HAVE SEEN

WENDY VA. BEACH, VA

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

May 102009

Explorer LS 4.0L V6

Well I guess I'll join the rest of the crowd....Just walked out to my suv and there was this crack! Unfortunately I yelled at my son thinking that he or one of his friends had hit something. I really felt bad after seeing Explorer after Explorer with the exact same crack in the exact same place next to the Ford emblem. Well isn't that great advertising....my real concern is why should I pay to fix it when it wasn't my fault but indicative of a defect...we can't all be wrong! Also, what happens when I go to trade it.....I definitely wont get as much for it. I called Ford and filed a complaint....I doubt if anything comes of it. I'm going to start taking photos of other Explorers with the same problem and send them all to Ford!

- , Lexington, SC, USA

Apr 232009

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

Same as everyone else, crack just showed up, obviously a design flaw and poor choice of materials. Just as obviously, Ford has no intention of doing anything about it. Reminds me why buying American cars is such a bad idea anymore. We don't expect a perfect product, but we do expect a company to admit when they screw up and make it right. I've bought my last Ford.

- , Cleveland, OH, USA

Jan 162009

Explorer XLT V6

One morning I woke up and decided to go clean my car since I had been giving my friends and cousins rides and it was dirty on the inside. When I went to the back of the truck, I noticed the crack and got really pissed off...I wanted to beat someone up.

I thought it was my dad or brother-in-law who had crashed against something and cracked it or someone was just trying to be mean to me.

I ended up forgetting about the problem and just decided to let it go, but now I see that most Ford Explorers like the one I own have the same crack. I was told they crack on their own. My family has always owned Ford cars and they are good cars overall in my opinion, but this time I got the wrong car!

i think the ford company should really fix this problem since most people pay money for their cars to look good and if its just the companies fault they should fix the problem before people stop buying their cars...

- , Bellflower, CA, USA

Oct 012008

Explorer XLT V6

Here's another fault with the 2004 Ford Explorer. I bought my vehicle used and I didn't have a warranty. It wasn't more than 3 months, and sure enough, the rear panel cracked. I was furious! Then I started to notice many of the Ford Explorer around town had the same problem. Even the Mercury Mountaineers and Lincoln Aviators looked the same. Something should be done about this. I took my vehicle up to the Ford Dealership to complain and of course it got me NOWHERE.

Once again, THANKS FORD!!!

- , Brunswick, GA, USA

Jan 192009

Explorer ES V6

This problem should definitely be fixed by Ford. It appears to be a safety hazard as the crack is growing and window may just fall out onto the street.

- , Roseville, CA, USA

Apr 142009

Explorer

I TOO EXPERIENCED THE SAME PROBLEM EVERYONE HAS HERE...CRACK ON THE REAR PANEL TAIL GATE..THE CRACK IS NOT OUR FAULT!! IT APPEARED BY ITSELF..I WENT TO THE DEALER TODAY IN HOPES THAT IT CAN BE FIX UNDER SOME TYPE OF WARRANTY..BEING THAT THIS IS A KNOWN PROBLEM. THE MANAGER TOLD ME THAT NOTHING CAN BE DONE EVEN THOUGH IT'S A KNOWN PROBLEM. THE MANGER STATES THAT THE REASON WHY IT'S CRACKED IS THE WAY IT WAS INSTALLED OR MANUFACTURED..IF THAT IS THE CASE..THE IT SHOULD BE RECALLED REGARDLESS OF THE MILEAGE. I ALSO CALLED FORD TO SEE WHAT THEY CAN DO..NOTHING..ONLY DOCUMENT THE MY COMPLAINT, THE REP TOLD ME THAT IF THERE'S A PATTERN OF COMPLAINT CALLS ABOUT THIS PROBLEM, THEN FORD WILL INVESTIGATE THESE COMPLAINTS AND IN HOPES TO HAVE THIS RECALLED. THE REP ALSO TOLD ME THAT IF THERE'S ALOT OF COMPLAINTS MADE TO THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY SAFETY ABOUT THIS, THEY TOO WILL CONTACT FORD AND SEE IF THERE'S ANY COMPLAINTS..MY FELLOW EXPLORER OWNERS..PLEASE CONTACT FORD AND HAVE YOUR COMPLAINT DOCUMENTED SO WE CAN GET THIS REPAIR AT NO COST!! ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY SAFETY TOO!!! OUR COMPLAINTS HAS TO BE IN LARGE NUMBERS!! FOR THOSE WHO HAS THIS REPAIRED...PLEASE KEEP YOUR RECEIPT IN HOPES THAT IF THIS WILL BE RECALLED..U MAY BE REIMBURSED!!!

- , Bronx, NY, USA

Apr 122009

Explorer V6

tail gate upper cracked , paint on hood corners peeling looks like bad paint job

- , Avon, OH, USA

Jun 152009

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

After reading all of the complaints listed here as well as seeing many Explorers on the road with the same problem, I think that this is a real "Shame on you, Ford" situation. With the amount of money that I (and everyone else in the US) spend on a vehicle, you would think that a company as huge as Ford would stand behind there products! The sticker price on my Explorer was $32,575.00 when it was brand new and after people spend that kind of money on the car, you would think that Ford would buck up and fix the problem!!! I have owned many Fords in my lifetime and I love my Explorer, but I have to admit that this will probably be the last Ford product I will ever spend my good hard earned money for!!!! Unfortunately, this is not the only problem with my Explorer. I guess I will have to enter the larger complaint in another entry!! To all others who have posted your complaints here, I hope that you will put out a big shout to all of your friends, family, co-workers and even your worst enemies..... Watch out for Ford!!!!!

- , St. Charles, MO, USA

Feb 102009

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

I, like everyone, have the lovely crack in plastic panel under rear window. This problem should definitely be taken care of by Ford! I just today submitted this information to a local attorney to start a class action lawsuit against Ford and hope they will accept to take it. If you would like to participate in this please go to http://www.mhcilaw.com/CM/Custom/Contact.asp and let them know your problem as well. I am sure the more people who contact them, they will definitely get something going. Hope this helps all who have once again been screwed by FORD!!!!!!!!

- , Gardendale, AL, USA

Apr 292008

Explorer Eddie Baur V8

A car should not crack for no reason! Ford needs to take responsibility. If anyone has had success, please share what you did!

- , West Sacramento, CA, USA

Mar 122006

Explorer XLT V6

I already called the Ford Company about this crack in the back door by the Ford emblem.They told me that they have not received too many complaints about this problem. At the beginning was surprised as I thought someone did it, but I have seen so many trucks like mine with the exact same problem. This is a manufacturing problem that the FORD COMPANY should take care of. I met 2 people that have the same problem. People, please keep calling them to see if they can do something about it.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Dec 012008

Explorer XLT V6

I've noticed the same problem on many other Explorers. Definitely a manufacturing defect that Ford must address.

Anybody there ??????????

- , Novi, MI, USA

Mar 262009

Explorer XLT V6

The panel under the rear window is cracked. I was surprised to see so many of these problems dating back to 2002 and Ford apparently has not fixed it. I found a seller on ebay that supplies a replacement panel and a You Tube video on replacing it.

Has anyone gotten Ford to step up to this problem ?

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

Feb 232009

Explorer V6

We weren't sure what caused the problem at first. Then we started noticing other 2004 Ford Explorers with the same problem on the road which clearly suggests that this is a Ford defect and should be a recall issue. It is very inconvenient as I am afraid to even open the back hatch as it might break the seal around the window and make the problem worse.

- , Union, KY, USA

Mar 302009

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

Its embarrassing and ugly and a defect and should be recalled and repaired by Ford, not the consumer.

- , New Hartford, CT, USA

Jan 042007

Explorer Limited V8

One day, just noticed it had a crack at the Ford emblem. I thought someone had bumped into it and cracked it. Later, I noticed other Explorers with the same problem. Then another crack appeared in another portion of the panel. I figured there was nothing Ford would do, and sure enough, looking at all these complaints they still do nothing.

- , Pearl City, HI, USA

Mar 132009

Explorer Eddy Bauer V6

Ford gave us the run around--recalls are only for safety reasons! Bumper to Bumper warranty are only for the THREE Year you pay for, if a flaw in the design shows up later you're out of luck.. THINK TWICE ABOUT BUYING A FORD

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Nov 012008

Explorer Limited V8

Like everyone else.. I walk out one day to open the back and there is a crack all the way through right around the emblem. I started noticing other Explorers with the SAME thing. Why won't Ford recall this.. It's obviously a huge problem!!

- , San Rafael, CA, USA

Feb 212009

Explorer NBX V6

Like many others, the crack around the Ford emblem just appeared. We were very upset when we saw the crack, but even more upset when we heard how many people were complaining about the same thing. We did have the crack fixed, because we want to try to keep the vehicle in good condition. We paid $375 just to have the piece replaced. We hadn't heard about the problem before it happened to us. A couple weeks after we noticed the crack in ours, we saw another Explorer with the whole strip missing. This is something that Ford should take care of.

- , Silver City, NM, USA