6.4

1. waiting for Ford to recall (293 reports)
  3. replace panel (113 reports)
  4. possible class action lawsuit (62 reports)
  5. call Ford motor company 1-800-241-3673 (27 reports)
  6. do not buy Ford again (25 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 30 of 38)

Dec 202008

Explorer 6.0L

found the crack around x-mas time, thought someone had tried to brake into the car. found out recently it is a defect and not my fault. the car is already past warranty so have no recourse with that. since is a defect the ford company should pay to get this fixed, it is unsightly.

- , Arlington, TX, USA

Sep 102008

Explorer XLT V6 Flex

Same as everybody else... one day it just appeared........

- , Chesapeake, VA, USA

Sep 082008

Explorer

It's been several months since I walked outside one day to find out that the panel below my rear window had CRACKED all the way down and around the FORD emblem! I couldn't believe it. Nothing had hit it and I take really good care of my vehicle. I bought it brand new with only 8 miles on it just days after it was manufactured. I never called Ford about it because I figured they would tell me I must have done something to cause it to crack. About 3 weeks ago I went on a trip and someone passed me and I noticed theirs looked the EXACT same way....wow, maybe I'm not the only one....a few days later, I see ANOTHER one.....a few more days, I see another one in a parking lot and decided to talk to the owner. He told me that he contacted FORD and they wouldn't do anything about it. His cousin and his neighbor also had the same problem with theirs. Tonight I went to the store and when I came out there was yet ANOTHER ONE, just like mine only he didn't have "THE CRACK" . It looked like he just ripped the entire panel off and said the heck with it. I came to the conclusion that it wasn't my fault or something that I did to it, it's just faulty material or workmanship. I sat down at my computer tonight just to see if I could find anything online that might resemble my problem and MAN was I blown away!!!! I can't believe how many people this has happened to and all along I thought it was just me. I appreciate the person that mentioned the www.nhtsa.gov site. I didn't know about it, but I'm going to print it out and tape it above the CRACK with a note to other "Victims" to go to these sites if their rear panel looks like mine. I will contact FORD to make sure my name is added to their list of recipients of faulty materials. I don't remember seeing anything in their brochure about "Caution, this $25,000.00 vehicle will crack if used outdoors!" They didn't advertise that part, did they?

- , Gloucester, VA, USA

Mar 012008

Explorer XLT Sport 4.0L V6

So, yeah, I noticed this one day when loading groceries into the back. One of the first of many defects with this vehicle that I am STILL making payments on. Spoke to a dealer and he gave me the "it's a common problem" speech and said no recall had yet been issued (I'm not holding my breath). Around $300-400 o fix... and the Ford customer service center just keeps giving me the same BS lines. "Have it evaluated by a Ford technician" etc. etc. etc. Class Action suit!

- , Baldwin Park, CA, USA

Jan 152008

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

Can't believe we bought this beautiful Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer edition only to find out that the panel right below the rear window cracked! Just walked out one day to find this huge crack running from just below the window to the FORD emblem. A real disappointment! Called to find out if it was a recalled item....as almost every other Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer I've seen has the exact same crack...but was told NO. Real evidence of very poor customer service on FORD's end. Don't want to pay to get it fixed....who's saying that it won't happen again?? A real structural defect must be present for there to be so many Explorers on the road with the same problem!!

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jun 112008

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

THERE IS A CRACK IN THE PANEL UNDER THE REAR WINDOW. I HAVE NOTICED SEVERAL EXPLORERS WITH THE SAME PROBLEM. FORD WILL NOT REPAIR WITHOUT MY PAYING FOR WHICH IS CRAZY WHEN THIS IS OBVIOUSLY A MANUFACTURERS PROBLEM.

- , Florence, SC, USA

Mar 052009

Explorer 6.0L

This car is only used on Sunday's. I'm a rollback driver and work 6 days a week. Was washing the car and was the crack in panel below back window. This is a problem because the same thing happen to my sons car and my sisters in laws car. We all own FORD EXPLORERS. My car only had around 44000 miles on it. This should be a recall.

We try to buy American cars but they don't want to stand by the problems.Anyone out there with this problem please complaint. Maybe FORD will do the right thing.

- , Middle River, MD, US

Feb 122009

Explorer

Just searched and was surprised to find that it is a serious problem in manufacturing. I will contact Ford, just to have it on record, and maybe there will be some kinda recall in the future. I will heck into having it repaired.

- , Rowlett, TX, USA

Jan 102009

Explorer

When this happened it was early morning and very cold, January, in Kansas. I heard a crack and thought it was a window cracking. A few weeks later I noticed the frame was cracked. Ford really needs to recall these and fix.

- , Augusta, KS, USA

Aug 052008

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

We closed the door to the trunk while on vacation. We did not slam the door, but we heard a crack and the door was cracked right below the window. We saw other Ford Explorers with the same crack. This is something that we were looking for a class action suit notification to come in the mail. I don't know what to do.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Mar 042009

Explorer V6

I went to put something in my truck on February 28,2009 and noticed the back hatch was cracked around the ford emblem just below the glass. The crack is about 1/4 inches wide and I also have a neighbor who just recently noticed hers as well. We compared the cracks and they were identical to the one that is on the sight. I called ford and they told me to take it to a dealer and see if they thought it was a defect, so we both did. We were told that there had been many complaints but they were not going to fix the problem. I think that is a load of crap and I intend to call the local tv station in my area and see if they can help. At least maybe it will bring more people to get together and get something done. thanks for listening.

- , Angier, NC, USA

Feb 152009

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

I am going to talk to a military lawyer about the crack problem since I am in the military and currently living overseas to find out if I can start a lawsuit against Ford in order to start a recall and replace lost funds due to replacement. I will try and update my findings on this site and others. If I cannot start a lawsuit because of me living overseas I hope that someone stands up for the hundreds that have been complaining to the wrong people ie. Ford and websites instead of people that can take Ford on ie. lawyers.

- , Abilene, TX, USA

Feb 062009

Explorer V6

I noticed a crack in the rear panel of my explorer. I did see another ford with the same problem in the same location; so I got online and found this site. I have not called it in yet; however, I am going to the dealer next week. I did not realize this was such a huge issue with so many year models. You think they would have recalled or used better parts.

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

Jan 032007

Explorer V6

Now, here we are exactly 2 years later and this crack mysteriously appears again in exactly the same place on the tail gate, in the plastic body molding right below the window on the rear tailgate by the Ford Emblem. Just like the others who complained of the same defect. This time the dealer, Perry Ford in Poway, CA wants to charge me $450!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Horsecrap, this is definitely a DEFECT!!!!!!!!!! And a known one.

- , San Diego, CA, US

Jul 012008

Explorer XLT 3.0L V6

I won't fix it... the replacement would break too...

- , Groves, TX, USA

Feb 082009

Explorer XLS 4.0L

why has this happen it just showed up i was working on the electric for a trailer hitch when i noticed it i have had the truck for almost 3 years now i see im not the only one with this problem ford need to fix it

- , Lynn Haven, FL, USA

Jan 012006

Explorer XLT V6

I contacted the dealership when I noticed the crack and was told it was not a recall item. I see now that someone else has also had this complaint early on in the ownership of their vehicle. As you can see, I have very few miles on my explorer. It is well cared for and has not only this problem, but broken visor mounts, and a broken fuel gauge as well. All of which should be recall items. IF WE ALL JOIN TOGETHER AND SEND OUR COMPLAINTS TO THIS ADDRESS WE MAY GET THE RECALLS WE NEED:

Ford Motor Company

Customer Relationship Center

P.O. Box 6248

Dearborn, MI 48126

- , Clovis, CA, USA

Nov 122008

Explorer XLT V6

I went to my local Ford Dealer where I purchased the car new. The Ford dealer said it was not covered under my extended warranty. He also stated that Ford should cover the repair but at this time there was not a recall on this. He admitted it was a design defect from the factory. He said he would be glad to fix it if I paid for it.

- , Huntsville, AL, US

Dec 012008

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

I walked out to my car after work one day and the damn panel was cracked in a triangle shape right next to Ford logo. Very disappointing to say the least considering what I paid for the car new with the Eddie Bauer addition to boot. I have been going to take it to a dealer to see if Ford would make good on the repair or see if there was a recall out. I also have a friend in the auto body business I was going to call. I drive 450 miles a week to and from work. Since my panel cracked it seems like everyone eles I see driving is also cracked. What a bunch of crap and they want a bail out!

- , Denver, CO, USA