- March 29: Ford Recalls F-450 and F-550 Trucks to Replace Driveshafts recalls | 1 days ago
- March 29: Ford Recalls 2017 Edge SUVs to Fix Windshield Headers recalls | 1 days ago
- March 27: Ford Transmission Lawsuit Settlement Agreed Upon by Parties news | 3 days ago
- March 27: Ford F-150 Door Latch Lawsuit Says Latches Freeze news | 3 days ago
- March 24: Ford Edge Door Ajar Light Recall Not Necessary, Say Feds investigations | 6 days ago
2004 Ford Explorer
fuel system Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2004 Explorer fuel system Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- can't fuel up without pump shutting off2
- fuel pump died2
- check engine light comes on1
- fuel odor in cabin1
- fuel rail sensor failed1
- NHTSA: Fuel System, Gasoline14
- NHTSA: Fuel System, Other: Storage: Fuel Gauge System5
- NHTSA: Fuel/Propulsion System4
- NHTSA: Fuel System, Gasoline: Delivery3
- NHTSA: Fuel System, Gasoline: Delivery: Fuel Pump3
- NHTSA: Fuel System, Other3
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.