CarComplaints.com Notes: The previous generation of Explorer was so awful that the redesign in 2006 was greeted with much optimism. That didn't last long.

The transmission continues to be the Explorer's worst reliability problem. Owners report shifting hard & lunging, typically starting as low as 40k miles with a $1,600 average repair bill. On top of that, the radiator is prone to failure around 60k miles. Repairs for the radiator run $500 to $1,000 & many owners report they've had to replace the radiator multiple times for leaks, indicating a possible design defect in the OEM replacement parts.

Ford did make some significant changes to improve handling and safety. Electronic stability control was added in addition to side impact air bags, but beyond that this is a vehicle that should be avoided at all costs.

7.8

$1,688.00

2. replace the transmission (38 reports)
  3. TSB from Ford reprogramming the transmission control (11 reports)
  4. replace transmission module (7 reports)
  5. reprogrammed the transmission (4 reports)
  6. solenoid assembly replaced (4 reports)
2006 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Explorer:

2006 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 11)

Jan 012010

Explorer LX 4.0L V6

I am also a victim of the 2006 Ford Explorer transmission. This vehicle had 40,000 miles when it started 3 years ago. Its sporadic, sometimes no problem, sometimes annoying, sometimes it is scary. At its worse, shifting into reverse is delayed 2 to 5 seconds before a very harsh engagement. The speed the lever does not seem to impact this condition. It occurs about 30% of the time when regardless if the engine is cold or hot. This harsh engagement will spin the wheels and let out a loud squawk if on pavement. This engagement is very hard and feels like a minor collision.

With experience, we have learned to hold the breaks hard until it engages to avoid the tire spin and the car jumping. But the other day we gave everyone a scare when it didn't engage until after we let up on the breaks; by that time a mother and two kids had walked behind the car and everyone got good scare as the wheels spun and the car jumped about a foot towards them.

This problem also occurs going up thru the gears we will also experience a hard shift, as though someone hit the car with sledge hammer. Of all the shifts, this happens about 20% of the time now. Cold or hot it does not seem to be a factor.

Three years ago when this started it was occurring less than 10% of the time and has gotten worse. We have the fluid flushed & replaced, no improvements. Called Ford 2/25/2013, they reported no information with 2006 Ford Explorer transmissions. I was really hoping to know the cause of all of this.

Has anyone had their transmission disassembled and discovered the cause?

Also, this Explorer has same coolant leaking as others. We've been adding coolant every 2 months for 3 years now.

- , Summerville, SC, USA

Dec 012011

Explorer XLT 4.0L

I could not in good conscience recommend a Ford Explorer ever again, this was our third explorer, the second one had the same problem at 40,000 miles and we traded for our third explorer. This vehicle has NEVER been ran hard, was taken well care of, only driven short distance to work and back, local driving to grocery stores etc. on short vacations. My wife and I are in our 60's and were not planning to have this extreme cost on a vehicle that has been well-maintained. We have spoken to Ford Motor with no resolve, nor did they really care, we took the vehicle back where we purchased it and they quoted us a repair cost of $3500.00 and were aware that this is a problem with the Ford Explorers, but can do nothing for us. We have always been a defender of Ford, but not anymore, all of our friends, relatives, neighbors and anyone we come in contact with will be enlightened with our problem. We like SUV'S, but there will be no more Fords in this household, NOT EVER again. Therefore we are taking the explorer to a local transmission specialist to have it replaced for the low, low cost of $2500.00. We have read many others complaining about the same problem. Since Ford is aware that this is an on-going problem, one would think that Ford would be doing some kind of recall or at the very least, doing the work for cost, not $3500.00. There needs to be a huge class action lawsuit regarding this and if enough people complain, perhaps someone will do something.

- , Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA

Nov 102010

Explorer XLT 4.2L

feels like being hit from behind when put on reverse shift gears will not take when i take off engine lights comes on sometimes and wrench lights come on never a ford for me i see all the complains to no answer from ford they (ford) should make a recall on the pc of crap they made other then that i love my vehicle just transmission problems

- , Bowling Green, FL, USA

Dec 232012

Explorer XLT 6.0L V6

I purchased my 2006 Ford Explorer in 2010 and performed perfectly until mid 2011. Around March of 2011 my vehicle started having a REAL HARD JERK when shifting gears. I took it to the shop and had it fixed which was the Pinion seal on the drive shaft and rear differential was bad and leaking. Once that was replaced the problem stopped until about 3 months ago when the problem returned. I checked the pinion again and it was fine. I then drove the vehicle from Missouri to Alabama and while on the trip I lost Drive and Overdrive and had to drive approximately 600 miles in third gear. I contacted Ford due to having been told that the transmission had been recalled and Ford stated that there was no recalls on the 2006 Explorer period. I have since found the recall number and and am going to contact ford again and see if I can get them to admit it and fix it or else I am going to file a lawsuit for failing to maintain the extended warranty that I purchased with the vehicle. Due to the fact that when I first started having problems with the vehicle in 2011 I took it back to the dealership where the vehicle was purchased and they stated that I did not have a warranty however when I contacted Ford this time they stated that my warranty had expired at 86,000 miles. I will never purchase another Ford nor Recommend a Ford product to anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Dixon, MO, USA

Sep 102012

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

I have been with Ford for over 12 years. This is the first set of problems I have had. My alternator went bad the first year, no help from Ford or dealership. Then my radiator and now, what I thought was simply a need to change transmission fluid, is a costly problem. A new transmission is needed. I do not feel safe in my truck anymore, I will get rid of it as soon as I can, but I will not go back to Ford. They no longer back their products.

- , Suffolk, VA, USA

Nov 242009

Explorer

I purchased my 2006 Ford in 2009, it had 50,000 miles on it and within 2 weeks I noticed my transmission would jerk and the gear would slip. I purchased the car with a extended warranty up to 100k miles or May 1, 2012. Ford put in a rebuilt transmission and a month later I noticed the gear would still get stuck or it would take some acceleration on the gas before it would go into the next gear. I took it back and the maintenance agent and his manager took a test drive, came back and said everything was fine. Two years go by and my radiator starts to leak Ford said I need to pay $900 to get fixed and that my cooling system is going to burn out my transmission. I took it to my guy and he fixed for $400, but the next day he said my water pump needed to be fixed. I never got it fixed but I have not had any leaks whats so ever. Guess what, that guy is not my mechanic guy anymore, he tried to hustle me. Now my car has 96,000 miles and I still have troubles with the transmission it sticks, but on my recent visit to Ford to get my oil change and tip off all fluids I got a all systems go report. NO leaks, no nothing. Two weeks later the director of marketing calls stating a customer wants to buy a used 2006 Ford explorer for his wife. She goes on to say " Ford will pay me to get out of my financing and purchase a brand new explorer!. I honestly thing this a ploy to recall as many explorers' because of all of the transmission complaints, or you guessed it. They want me to buy another car. I told the lady, I would play along. She said her manager is going to do a equity evaluation to see if I am eligible. I am thinking of speaking to a lawyer because I have had several problems with the car. My last story, I don't know if anyone else has had any electrical problems, but one that I had almost killed me and my son. I was taking him to his girl friends house about a 30 minute drive no traffic at 5am. I warm my car up everyday, so this particular morning was no different. I warm it for 10 minutes and go. So, I am driving about 7 blocks from my house and the car lights inside start to flicker and go out so the dash goes out but the car stays on. I drive back at about 10 miles an hour and I made it to my drive way. I call AAA, the tow guy said luckily I was not on freeway because the car could have turned off with no notice and a car could have hit us at high speeds. The car did not give any warning that the alternator was bad and I had just came back from Vegas 2 weeks before. I had pep boys replace the radiator and I have not had any electrical issues since.

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 012011

Explorer Eddie Bauer

Just like everyone else with this vehicle 2006 Eddie Bauer Ford. We too were always about ford. But when I put the vehicle in reverse it lunges so bad I'm afraid I might hit something. Also trouble shifting gears 1st and 2nd very loud and it does feel like you just lost the whole transmission. Very disappointed. Not the only problem this vehicle has had. It would be nice for Ford to stand behind their product. but I don't see that happening.

- , Oak Ridge, TN, USA

May 012012

Explorer V8

I have the same problems with my 2006 Explorer. I have been dealing directly with Ford and get "canned" responses from them. I feel that it is a major safety issue and Ford needs to be held accountable for their manufacturing defect. I did some research and found that I can file a safety complaint with the NHTSA and they will do an investigation on the safety problem if enough people complain. Here's the link http://www.nhtsa.gov/. I encourage you to file a complaint regarding the transmission defect as well. Clearly it's a big, expensive problem that Ford expects us to pay for! I'm sorry..I DON"T pay for someone else's negligence and you shouldn't either. File a report and maybe together we can get a recall on the problem!

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jul 092012

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L

At 120000 miles my 06 EB Explorer bangs into gear from 1st to 2nd, and constantly slides in and out of gear while the engine is reeving at 2500 RPM. Also hesitates when shifting into reverse.

- , Eagle River, WI, USA

Oct 032011

Explorer LXT 4.0L V6

I am also a victim of the 2006 ford transmission. This vehicle only has 48000 miles. When i shift into reverse it takes a few seconds to shift gear and when it shifts into gear it feels like the transmission fell on the ground . I just retired and bought this explorer hopefully to keep for a while i take great pride in maintaining my vehicles this is also my 2nd explorer the first one is 16yrs old and now my dog truck but i don't think the 2006 will give me that loyalty TOO BAD!!! Shame on ford now i don't know who to trust anymore

- , niantic, CT, USA

Oct 102011

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4L V6

Transmission Module went out at 60,000 miles. Was not covered, cost me over $500.00 to repair.

- , White Stone, VA, USA

Feb 042012

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

The transmission has never worked so well. It really never worked right in the first place. 1 year in the problems started. Took it to Ford numerous times, told me there was nothing wrong, They reset it a few times. As soon as the warranty was up, it got really bad. I will never buy a Ford again, they should have addressed the problem. Many other complaints, to numerous to list.

- , South Park, PA - Pennsylvania, USA

May 282012

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L

Dealer reprogrammed the transmission when it had about 25,000 miles on it. The lunging completely disappeared....for a while. After about a year and 15,000 miles the problem returned and has happened ever since on and off. Mileage now just short of 80,000 and has been hitting hard lately. The dealer let me purchase an extended warranty after the initial fix for $1000. This extended to 6 year or 75,000. I had wished the transmission had blown up. Now the replacement will probably be on me.

Thanks Ford. I have been driving your vehicles for 40 years and this is the worst problem, which you have not resolved. Please do something for this obvious service issue. There have been some scary incidences with close calls on accidents.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

May 012012

Explorer XLT 4.0L, V6

Reading all the complaints, I realize I am not the only one with problems I got the same bad experiences, My truck is at the Garage for over 4 days now. Transmit slips on 4 gear (100km or more) and engine accelerates to keep-up speed, when reversing, I can hear a Loud banging sound, as If Differential was damaged (replaced Differential, and problem persisted) I had to replace the bearings 3 times over the last 16 months (or 40,000 km) which is not normal.

and problems persist.

need help, please, if anyone have solutions, or advise, please contact me. lets see if Ford is interesting in being the Number 1 in USA/Canada

- , St-Jerome, Quebec, canada

Apr 152012

Explorer

Same problem as so many others here. Would give a hard jolt when shifting into gear and now the transmission has gone out and the dealership wanted 3,500 to fix it or they told me the best thing is to trade it in. Do you think they wanted to give me anything for my car?? Nooo so I had to go else where and buy a second vehicle just so I have transportation. Now paying two car notes and the Explorer sits at a transmission shop dead. Ford needs to get the transmission issues fixed!

- , Lake Dallas, TX, USA

Apr 242012

Explorer XLS V6

This problem first started in January of 2010. I went to ford dealer (long lewis,hoover,al)where I purchased the car brand new and wanted to know what was wrong with my car. They told me it was not the outside of the transmission and in order to check the inside it would cost me $500 just to break it down ..my thoughts were wow! My car should not be jerking, slow to pull off and At the time I only had 50,000 miles on it and very frustrated. Now about A week ago my car has gotten to were I don't want to drive it but it is the only transportation i have. With this many complaints ford needs to do something.

- , Hoover, AL, USA

Dec 312009

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

Same transmission problem as a lot of people. It's a 2wd Eddie Bauer Explorer with 110,000 miles with 50% of that being highway miles. Vehicle hesitates a second or two when putting it in reverse. Then it will jump into gear and make it feel like the transmission's dropped out of the car. Ford it's time to step-up and FIX this "American Made Product." My car has been paid off for almost a year, have thought about trading it in but would not wish this auto on anyone.

- , Sallisaw, OK, USA

Mar 152012

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

Transmission was "slipping" when accelerating. Usually between 1-2-3 gears. Error code P0733 from reading the chip, according to the repair shop. It is actually there being rebuilt today 3-26-2012. About $2000.00 to rebuilt it. $3600.00 for new. This is ridiculous, since the car has only 91,000 miles on it. And by the looks of it, and all of these complaints, I am one of the more lucky individuals, by it not happening sooner. Shame on FORD for not stepping up, and offering a solution. This if my 4th and last FORD!!! Never again.

- , Montgomery, IL, USA

Nov 012011

Explorer LX V6

Transmission has always shifted hard but now when shifting to reverse it hesitates then slams into gear. While driving it lunges and jerks while changing out gears. After driving for a couple hours it roars and drags like its not going to change then jerks into gear. If I get this repaired I will be out 2000.00 or more and without my vehicle again for an unknown amount of time. Buying this vehicle has turned out to be the worst mistake I have ever made. This was my 2nd time buying a ford and since the 1st time was almost as bad I can honestly say I plan to make it the last.

- , Cottondale, AL, USA

Dec 122011

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

I bought this car with 73000 miles on it. I took it to a mechanic to have it checked out before the sale was final. He found about $1000 worth of repairs. I bought the car $1000 less than listed on Craig's list. Thought we both got a great deal- buyer and seller. Then the day after I took possession of the car, the first episode of the car lunging from a stop at a light. It felt like it had stalled then lunged forward. Since then, it occasionally will take a second or two for the transmission to catch after moving from reverse to drive. I took it to the same mechanic that I took it to 2 months ago to check it out. Now he wants $3075 to repair the transmission. After reading this site, I think it is time to go back to Hyundai.

- , Denton, TX, USA