CarComplaints.com Notes: The previous generation of Explorer was so awful that the redesign in 2006 was greeted with much optimism. That didn't last long.

The transmission continues to be the Explorer's worst reliability problem. Owners report shifting hard & lunging, typically starting as low as 40k miles with a $1,600 average repair bill. On top of that, the radiator is prone to failure around 60k miles. Repairs for the radiator run $500 to $1,000 & many owners report they've had to replace the radiator multiple times for leaks, indicating a possible design defect in the OEM replacement parts.

Ford did make some significant changes to improve handling and safety. Electronic stability control was added in addition to side impact air bags, but beyond that this is a vehicle that should be avoided at all costs.

7.8

$1,669.00

2. replace the transmission (34 reports)
  3. TSB from Ford reprogramming the transmission control (11 reports)
  4. replace transmission module (6 reports)
  5. reprogrammed the transmission (4 reports)
  6. solenoid assembly replaced (3 reports)
2006 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Explorer:

2006 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 11)

May 012012

Explorer XLT 4.0L, V6

Reading all the complaints, I realize I am not the only one with problems I got the same bad experiences, My truck is at the Garage for over 4 days now. Transmit slips on 4 gear (100km or more) and engine accelerates to keep-up speed, when reversing, I can hear a Loud banging sound, as If Differential was damaged (replaced Differential, and problem persisted) I had to replace the bearings 3 times over the last 16 months (or 40,000 km) which is not normal.

and problems persist.

need help, please, if anyone have solutions, or advise, please contact me. lets see if Ford is interesting in being the Number 1 in USA/Canada

- , St-Jerome, Quebec, canada

Apr 152012

Explorer

Same problem as so many others here. Would give a hard jolt when shifting into gear and now the transmission has gone out and the dealership wanted 3,500 to fix it or they told me the best thing is to trade it in. Do you think they wanted to give me anything for my car?? Nooo so I had to go else where and buy a second vehicle just so I have transportation. Now paying two car notes and the Explorer sits at a transmission shop dead. Ford needs to get the transmission issues fixed!

- , Lake Dallas, TX, USA

Apr 242012

Explorer XLS V6

This problem first started in January of 2010. I went to ford dealer (long lewis,hoover,al)where I purchased the car brand new and wanted to know what was wrong with my car. They told me it was not the outside of the transmission and in order to check the inside it would cost me $500 just to break it down ..my thoughts were wow! My car should not be jerking, slow to pull off and At the time I only had 50,000 miles on it and very frustrated. Now about A week ago my car has gotten to were I don't want to drive it but it is the only transportation i have. With this many complaints ford needs to do something.

- , Hoover, AL, USA

Dec 312009

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

Same transmission problem as a lot of people. It's a 2wd Eddie Bauer Explorer with 110,000 miles with 50% of that being highway miles. Vehicle hesitates a second or two when putting it in reverse. Then it will jump into gear and make it feel like the transmission's dropped out of the car. Ford it's time to step-up and FIX this "American Made Product." My car has been paid off for almost a year, have thought about trading it in but would not wish this auto on anyone.

- , Sallisaw, OK, USA

Mar 152012

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

Transmission was "slipping" when accelerating. Usually between 1-2-3 gears. Error code P0733 from reading the chip, according to the repair shop. It is actually there being rebuilt today 3-26-2012. About $2000.00 to rebuilt it. $3600.00 for new. This is ridiculous, since the car has only 91,000 miles on it. And by the looks of it, and all of these complaints, I am one of the more lucky individuals, by it not happening sooner. Shame on FORD for not stepping up, and offering a solution. This if my 4th and last FORD!!! Never again.

- , Montgomery, IL, USA

Nov 012011

Explorer LX V6

Transmission has always shifted hard but now when shifting to reverse it hesitates then slams into gear. While driving it lunges and jerks while changing out gears. After driving for a couple hours it roars and drags like its not going to change then jerks into gear. If I get this repaired I will be out 2000.00 or more and without my vehicle again for an unknown amount of time. Buying this vehicle has turned out to be the worst mistake I have ever made. This was my 2nd time buying a ford and since the 1st time was almost as bad I can honestly say I plan to make it the last.

- , Cottondale, Alabama, USA

Dec 122011

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

I bought this car with 73000 miles on it. I took it to a mechanic to have it checked out before the sale was final. He found about $1000 worth of repairs. I bought the car $1000 less than listed on Craig's list. Thought we both got a great deal- buyer and seller. Then the day after I took possession of the car, the first episode of the car lunging from a stop at a light. It felt like it had stalled then lunged forward. Since then, it occasionally will take a second or two for the transmission to catch after moving from reverse to drive. I took it to the same mechanic that I took it to 2 months ago to check it out. Now he wants $3075 to repair the transmission. After reading this site, I think it is time to go back to Hyundai.

- , Denton, TX, USA

Feb 182012

Explorer XLT

This has being going on too long for Ford to ignore it! Shame on them! Does it take a fatality to get an American automobile manufacturer to do the right thing.

- , Moore, SC, USA

Nov 152011

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

I want to register my complaint along with other 2006 Explorer owners regarding transmission hard shifting into reverse. The shifter was replaced about 2 yrs ago & shortly thereafter, Ford issued a recall for the model. I was able to get my $$ back from Ford for what I had to pay out of pocket prior to the recall. Now I'm having the same issue as many other owners of this same model. I,too, am VERY distraught with Ford for not owning up to the problem & making it right. I have owned Ford SUV's for the past 25 yrs but I think this is the last. If a class action law suit if filed, I'm in. As I am writing this post, my Explorer is sitting at my local Ford dealership where I purchased the vehicle. The guys there wanted to keep it overnight so they could see if the issue occurred for them. If it doesn't, I suppose that makes me a liar. If it does, what will they do? From other posts I've read on here, I'm up the creek with the rest of the owners. I certainly do not intend to pay for a new transmission. I will contact Ford myself, as others have done, but I don't expect them to do anything. It's a sad day in America when we have allowed ourselves as a country to allow such sloppy workmanship to be produced and have a company who refuses to accept responsibility for said workmanship. i'll see what my dealership has to offer me tomorrow. I sure hope Ford can come up with a fix for the issue and it's on their dollar and not mine!!!

- , Salisbury, NC, USA

Jun 012011

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

Same problems everyone else is reporting about the 2006 Ford Explorer transmission problem. I bought my Explorer from a dealership in MA a little less than 3 years ago. Not sure when I first noticed the problem (probably around July 2011 and around 68k miles on it), but what I first noticed was the 2 seconds it took for the car to shift from drive to reverse. When it did shift into reverse, the entire vehicle shook and there was a nice loud bang. It didn't do this every time, so I didn't think much of it. After a few months, I was getting sick of it, so I decided to check google for any known transmission issues with the 2006 Explorer. Well, what do you know... a hell of a lot people reporting the same damn thing! Currently (77k miles), I am seeing the same shifting issues, but now I'm noticing it while driving. Engine just decides to rev up to about 4.5 rpms while the vehicle maintains the same speed (about 40-45mph), upshifting/downshifting whenever the hell it feels like it. Gas mileage sucks because of it! Last Ford I'll ever buy. I am currently trying to trade the thing in right now instead of footing a big bill for a transmission replacement! How is this not a recall???

- , Coventry, RI, USA

Jul 202011

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

I can't believe that a car with one owner, in excellent shape, lightly used, with up-to-date Maintenance and with less than 60,000 miles develops a major transmission problem.

Had I known it was a problem with Ford, I would have never bought it.

FORD company SHOULD and MUST recall and fix these issues. It will cost me well over $4000 to fix it not including all the fluids and other diagnosis which I had to pay trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

FORD, you should be responsible for this and should fix the problem.

- , Mill Creek, WA, USA

Aug 092011

Explorer V6

Called Ford to complain that my vehicle was making a strange clunk like sound when I went to put it from Park to Reverse they replaced the gear shift assembly. Got back in the vehicle and had it happen again even after they replaced the gear shift. The problem I am experiencing doesnt happen everytime but my concern is that its my transmission but they swear they checked it and its fine. I dont buy what they are telling me and am looking at getting another opinion but I have never had such an issue with a vehicle they I have with ford.

- , Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jun 152008

Explorer Limited 4.6L V8

The vehicle only had 37K miles on it when I purchased it as a used lease unit. Like other complaints I read about the 2006 model transmission lurching at a stop light like someone rear ending you. I took the vehicle to the dealer where I purchased it and they said Ford had a solution whereby they needed to reprogram the tranny. This was done no-charge and I now have 53K on the car and since the reprogram I have never had another problem. It was a cheap and effective fix which only took about a half hour to do.

- , Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Jul 252011

Explorer

We purchased our used 2006 Ford Explorer from a dealership in 2007. Today, I found out that not only was I not covered by my 120,000 Kilometer warranty anymore, but my transmission is shot. The car was lunging, stalling, driving eratically and from what I've just read here, I can see that other owners have had the same issues. I wish there were an opportunity to lobby for Ford to recall the Explorer trannie problem bcs it seems to be a widespread problem!!

The dealership here in Toronto is quoting $5000-$6000 for a Ford rebuilt transmission....

- , TORONTO, ON, canada

May 102011

Explorer LX V6

I just need help with this. I'm a disable veteran on a fixed income.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Jun 012011

Explorer Eddie Bauer

Ford House wanted $4,000 to replace the transmission. We felt that with a car with only 60,000 that was unacceptable. Another mechanic reset the computer & the problem is better but still occurs occasionally. Certainly makes us re-think buying another Ford and this is our 4th Ford that we have purchased.

- , WICHITA FALLS, Texas, USA

Oct 012010

Explorer XLS 3.2L V6

there is obviously something wrong with the transmission, yet whenever I take it to the dealer they can never figure out whats wrong. I cant put the car in drive to drive I have to wiggle between drive and 3 and figure it out. It stalls on the highway, drives sluggishly and lunges between park and reverse. I started complaining about this while the car was under warranty, all they could do is something with the computer, it was better for a while and it started doing the same thing. The last time I took the car in back in September, the tech said he thought there was a piece of candy stuck down in the gear shift. What???!! I don't eat in my car, where do these certified Ford mechanics go to school?

- , Charlack, MO, USA

Aug 022010

Explorer V8

THIS HAS BEEN HAPPENING SINCE I BOUGHT THE VEHICLE IN 2006. I MENTION IT WHENEVER I GO IN TO SERVICING AND IT STOPS FOR ABOUT A MONTH AND STARTS BACK AGAIN. NOW AT 110,000 MILES I WAS TOLD I MIGHT HAVE A TRANSMISSION PROBLEM (YOU THINK?!?) WHILE I WAS WAITING THE LAST TIME THERE WERE THREE OTHER EXPLORER OWNERS IN THERE SAYING THEY HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AND IT WAS NEVER RESOLVED.

WHY HASN'T THIS BEEN RECALLED? I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER FORD PRODUCT WHICH IS SAD BECAUSE MY HUSBAND REIRED FROM FORD. FORD DOES NOT TREAT ITS CUSTOMERS RIGHT.

- , Decatur, GA, USA

Oct 172011

Explorer

Same transmission problem as a lot of people. It's a 2wd Eddie Bauer Explorer with 71,000 miles with 80% of that being highway miles. Vehicle hesitates a second or two when putting it in reverse. Then it will jump into gear and make it feel like the transmission's dropped out of the car. Also slips periodically when shifting into 3rd gear.

So...... I say to myself, "I should have this looked into." Hmmmm......"Where should I take it? It should be a nationwide reputable transmission company", which I rather not say which one, but it does sound a lot like AAMCO. So here's the deal... I get it check out , (FREE diagnosis), making sure the computer crap on the outside is working and telling the car to engage and blah,blah,blah. Well lo and behold...It's all working....We're going to have to open 'er up.

So this will cost roughly $750 and generally, it'll cost another $750 for all the parts that it probably will need; however, if we take it apart and there's some other crap wrong with it, we'll have to charge you for that......AND...if we open 'er up and you don't want any new parts put in, it'll still cost $750 to put 'er back together.

So I figure $1500 and change, and out the door. I can live with that. Along about quittin' time, I get a phone call from that fine upstanding transmission company. Well lo and behold, once again...there's some other crap wrong with some other transmission parts. Well now here's where I should have used some transmission fluid as a lubricant. The price now is $3065.37.

It has a 12 month 12.000 mile warranty, or....you can get the 3 year 36,000 mile for another $600. I told them just do the work and we'll dicker with the warranty later. OH NOOOOO...this is not allowed......some mandated state regulation prohibits such things. They have to know which warranty you want before they do the work.

Well I'm thinking if I get the 12 month warranty, I get the crappy parts or maybe even the original parts. If I get the 36 month warranty. I have a chance of getting some new parts. I'm already into this company for Three Grand, (or I could have them close it back up...pay $1500 and take my $hitty transmission and $hitty Ford back home.) So I said WTF...do the 3 year deal putting this now at $3065.37. It's not like I'm going to pop out the transmission and take a look see and determine if there's any new parts.

SO THE MORAL OF THE STORY IS......IF YOU BUY A FORD GET THE BUMPER TO BUMPER WARRANTY or DON'T BUY A FORD and IF YOU EVER HAVE A TRANSMISSION PROBLEM DON'T BRING IT TO THAT COMPANY THAT SOUNDS LIKE AAMCO.

- , Winter Haven, FL, USA

Aug 052011

Explorer Eddie Baur V6

I recently brought in my 2006 Ford Explorer to Don Bohn FORD ON LAPALCO, HARVEY LOUISIANA because it was jerking. I was informed that I needed a new transmission. WTF I have not paid the car off and I need a NEW TRANSMISSION. UNBELIEVABLE. I have done everything that FORD has ask me to do. I have had schedule oil changes, 30 thousand maintenance check, 50 thousand maintenance, transmission check EVERYTHING HAS BEEN DONE TO PRESERVE MY CAR. And now at 83,000 miles the transmission goes out, needless to say I am completely DISAPPOINTED AND INSULTED that you all (FORD) would promote these maintenance checks, and the transmission would go out. TOTALLY UNFAIR. When I asked Ford to be responsible for fixing this LEMON (Lewis a service manager) was not compassionate or helpful and trying to resolve this matter. I have read quite a few complaints on line about FORD 2006 Transmissions and my car has done the same thing that these people are complaining about. With all of that being said, its such a shame how the dealership does business. The rich get richer and the poor just keep on struggling AND TRYING TO SURVIVE.

- , New Orleans, Louisiana, USA