2013 Ford Explorer steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Explorer:

2013 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Dec 112015

Explorer

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. While driving at various slow speeds and turning, the steering wheel seized without warning. The failure was persistent. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 40,000.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Apr 012016

Explorer

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. While driving at an unknown speed, the steering wheel became extremely hard to maneuver without warning. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and verified that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V286000 (steering). The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 152016

Explorer

Complete loss of power steering while driving. I momentarily felt panicked inside, my children were in the car and we were going 70. Turned the car off and restarted and it drove. I took the vehicle in to the dealership and it seemed fine. 9 months later (April 2016) it happened again driving 45mph in heavy traffic with my children in the car. I was able to force the car to the side of the freeway and calm down. The car would barely steer. It was harder to maneuver than driving an older vehicle without power steering. It was just short of being locked up. Again it reset after turning on and off about 5 times. It was evening and I decided it had to go back to the shop the next day. The following day it was locked up completely and not drivable. I had it towed to the dealership as it was not drivable and unsafe. The power steering assist and traction assist alerts stayed up- both functions showing off.

- College Station, TX, USA

Apr 122016

Explorer

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. While making a turn at an unknown speed, an abnormal clicking sound emitted from the steering wheel without warning. In addition, the vehicle veered to the left or right independently without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering gear assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 95,000.

- Edgemoor, SC, USA

Nov 022015

Explorer

Takata inflators, I bought my 2013 Ford Explorer in July of 2015. By November 2015 my car had been making very loud scraping noises every time I turned right or left. I brought it to the Ford dealer that I bought it from to get it checked out. The dealership had to replace the steering rack, which fixed the problem. However, it was not covered under any warranty or recall. In researching online I found that some 2013 Ford Explorer have had the same problem and are covered under an active recall. Mine still is not!!! I have 2 small children and was told that it needed to get fixed asap otherwise my steering wheel could freeze up, which would cause an accident and put our lives in danger. I am very upset with this as I had to pay $1561 out of pocket and our lives were in danger!!!!

- Oelwein, IA, USA

Mar 272016

Explorer

When driving this vehicle the steering seems to "stick" and when you apply more pressure to move the steering wheel, the vehicle jerks and darts you into the other lane at highway speeds. This is very dangerous when driving in close proximity to other vehicles such as construction zones or narrow rural roads with oncoming traffic.

- Elizabethtown, KY, USA

Feb 192016

Explorer

Paint bubbles on hood inside and out with corrosion, 2) power steering failing, recall for issue in effect, but, not mine have to pay $2000 for repairs, unable to steer while driving low speed

- Erie, PA, USA

Feb 252016

Explorer

The "power steering fault" light was on when I was driving. And I lost steering ability at all. I managed to drive to the nearest Ford dealer, and they wanted to charge me $1800 for replacement. This is because somehow I wasn't included in the recall for power steering. This is absurd!

- Novi, MI, USA

Jan 292016

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. While driving 80 mph, the power steering malfunctioned and it became extremely difficult to steer the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 21,000. Updated 04/22/2016 updated 05/05/16.

- North Platte, NE, USA

Feb 142016

Explorer

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. While driving 25 mph, the steering wheel seized and the power steering assist warning light illuminated. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V286000 (steering). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 89,000.

- Brownsville, TX, USA

Feb 152016

Explorer

Was driving and the steering wheel became really hard to turn and then on my screen of my truck a warning pop up saying ( power steering assist fault) so now my steering is very hard to turn

- Brownsville, TX, USA

Feb 122016

Explorer

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while reversing out of parking space, the power steering assist disable warning message illuminated and the power steering malfunctioned. The contact mentioned that the vehicle resumed normal function after it was turned off and restarted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure and stated that the electronic power steering gear assembly needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and refused to provide any assistance since the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V286000 (steering). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 53,000.

- Shelton, CT, USA

Nov 012015

Explorer

Loss of power steering. After experiencing loss of power steering on multiple occasions I performed online research and became aware of safety recall 14S06. I contacted Ford for resolution and they informed me my vehicle is not subject to recall. The vehicle with some 19,000 miles is our of warranty (>36 months). Ford indicated that any repairs for this dangerous condition would be at owner expense. The vehicle was produced on the assembly line in Chicago which was the origin of the vehicle defect which prompted the recall. However, it appears to have been assembled approximately 1 month after the recall cut-off. I contend that the defect was still present and the recall should be broadened. This is a serious defect with potential life threatening consequences. Ford has been unreceptive in even investigating the matter. The vehicle was moving on the occasions when the power steering failed, while negotiating a curve. My professional driver indicated that the car had to be stopped and the vehicle restarted to reset the power steering. No driver feedback of a trouble code.

- Dulles, VA, USA

Nov 012013

Explorer

Power steering failure. Failed multiple times, unable to replicate at dealership. Happened at low speed while in a parking lot. Pulling into parking spot and steering failed causing minor collision with parked vehicle in next space. Dealership still unable to replicate.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Jan 272015

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while reversing out of a parking spot, the steering wheel was difficult to turn without warning. The contact stated that the failure recurred on several occasions, each time the vehicle was driven at various speeds. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and was diagnosed that the electronic power steering rack needed to be replaced. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V286000 (steering). The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 51,000. Updated 04/04/16 updated 04/05/16.

- Dalhart, TX, USA

Dec 152015

Explorer

Steering assist fault light comes on when I crank my 2013 Ford Explorer. The steering wheel is locked and won't turn when I try to leave a location. I have to switch the vehicle off and restart it in order for it to reset.

- Mount Vernon, AL, USA

Jan 312016

Explorer

Power steering stopped working and displayed power steering assist fault error on the dashboard. Was unable to turn wheel at low/slow speed. Car was being parked at the time the fault occurred.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Jan 172016

Explorer

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. While driving 45 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to steer the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the computer needed to be updated. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the computer needed to be updated and the steering rack might need to be replaced. The computer was updated. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 47,000. Updated 03/18/16

- James Court, NY, USA

Nov 012015

Explorer

As reported to Ford: What is your vehicle sales or service issue?:VIN: Ifm5K8D85dga40422 2013 Ford Explorer - I recently shipped my 2013 Ford Explorer to azerbaijan where I am serving the U.S. government. I hired a driver who conveyed a problem to me regarding the power steering and sync system. After doing some online research, I became aware of the recall for power steering problems which seem to fit the symptoms related to me. I did not receive any type of notice from Ford regarding this serious condition. Also, the sync system is buggy. I was informed some time ago of a fuel system recall (I believe). The vehicle has 19,750 miles. A vehicle tire sensor fault has recently displayed. There is a Ford dealership in baku azerbaijan where I live. The Explorer is part of their product line. Please inform me what I can expect from Ford to resolve the issues disclosed here either under warranty, recall obligation, or customer care (without expense to me). Further, I would appreciate if Ford U.S. would coordinate those resolution efforts. What action has your dealer taken to address the issue":have not contacted dealer. Suspect language barriers would complicate resolution efforts. What assistance are you seeking from Ford Motor Company":coordinate all necessary repairs to be performed by the baku azerbaijan Ford dealer. Provide a loaner car while vehicle is being repaired. Be more proactive in informing customers of potentially serious defects that have resulted in recall. Are you the owner of the vehicle :yes VIN : ifm5K8D85dga40422 mileage : 19,748 where is your vehicle now : inpossession have you contacted the dealer :no dealer name :Ford baku azerbaijan

- Dulles, VA, USA

Dec 222015

Explorer

While driving approximately 70mph on a major highway the power steering shutdown and the vehicles steering became extremely stiff to the point you could hardly turn the steering wheel.I brought the vehicle to Ford to have it inspected, they informed me nothing was wrong and all it needed was to be reset. Within 10 days of leaving the dealership service the vehicle again started to have the same problem nearly causing an accident. I took the vehicle to Ford once again, this time they had advised that the entire power steering assembly need to be replaced. Within doing research 2011-2013 Ford Explorer have this same power steering issue, under recall. Ford refuses to fix my vehicle under the recall due to VIN restrictions. This is dangerous and negligent to say the least.

- Sebastian, FL, USA