Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Power steering problems started rearing their ugly head in the 2010 Fusion, so you'd think Ford had plenty of time to make sure those problems didn't creep into the 2012. But here we are.

The Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) is a mess. It fails at an alarming rate. Don’t believe us? Take a look at NHTSA’s data on the subject.

And much like the power steering, we’re still seeing the same throttle body failures that started in 2010 continue in 2012.

2012 Ford Fusion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Fusion:

2012 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 15 of 23)

May 202014

Fusion 6-cyl

This has happened 6 times. I will be driving and the power steering will fail. An alarm will sound and the display will read "service advancetrak, power steering failure". power steering will completely fail and it is extremely difficult to steer. It happens with no warning. Ford dealership wanted $116 to possibly diagnose the problem. With no guarantee that they could and that price did not include any actual fix. Restarting the car will fix it, but it has happened 5 more times. I ran the on board diagnostic but they said that wouldn't be accurate. So glad I read the article today and know it's not just my car. This is such an unsafe problem to have.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Jul 152014

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While attempting to reverse out of the driveway, the eps indicator illuminated. The contact turned off and restarted the vehicle, but the steering failed. The dealer stated that the power steering failed and the entire steering rack needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Union, NJ, USA

Oct 062014

Traveling along and accelerator pedal did not respond to pressing and steering was hard to steer. Car was still running. Loss of power steering and no gas pedal. Pulled over and turned car off and restarted. Issue went away but came back 20 miles later. I called dealer shenandoah Ford and was told this is normal and nothing to worry about and keep driving.

- Bentonville, VA, USA

Oct 012014

Fusion 6-cyl

Driving in rush hour traffic in atlanta, power steering failed. Warning light came on stating "power steering assist fault" and "service advancetrac". has happened in the past and simply restarting the car would fix the issue. However, I have restarted the car 4 times since then and the error will not go away. Power steering on car will not work.

- Cartersville, GA, USA

Sep 282014

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While attempting to exit a parking lot, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver and the eps indicator illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 37,000. Updated 12/01/14 updated 5/7/2015

- Staffordsville, VA, USA

Sep 292014

Fusion 4-cyl

Leaving a parking space in a parking lot, lost power steering. Power steering is now not working. Dealer says there is no warranty on vehicle for problem. Dealer also said they have had several problems with the power steering on these vehicles. Now it is my responsibility to pay $1,500 + to fix a safety hazard! I also have a 15 year that drives the car regularly. He is no longer allowed to drive the car for obvious safety reasons. I have also heard and read about problems with the steering locking as you are driving.

- Boise, ID, USA

Sep 282014

I have a 2012 Ford Fusion 4 dr that we have had for about 1 year. I was driving the vehicle when all of a sudden a light came on the dash and I instantly had no power steering. I was travelling 65 mph on hwy 81 and luckily was able to get the vehicle pulled over to the side of the road. I shut the vehicle off and restarted it and the problem went away. I have had this happen now several times and am concerned that if I were passing someone or making a turn and the power steering failed I would have an accident. Ford does not seem to acknowledge this problem.

- North Platte, NE, USA

Sep 252014

Fusion 4-cyl

We were driving quite slow through roosevelt state park in North Dakota when a warning came across our display saying "check power steering now". we kept driving and came across some road construction, so we turned the car off. When we started the car to continue through the park, we had no more power steering. It became very difficult to turn the car while we looked for a service station. The Ford dealer in that area did not have time to look at it for 30 days and the person at the service station told us to man handle it back to Wisconsin. That is what we did and took it directly to the Ford dealership here in marshfield, Wisconsin. They claimed there is no warranty and that the problem is unusual at this low mileage. We are paying $105 to get it diagnosed and do not know what it will cost to repair. I found that Ford does know there is issues with the power steering. We feel it was dangerous for us to be driving the car in this condition. We are very disappointed in how this issue is being dealt with.

- Marshfield, WI, USA

Sep 022014

When first starting the car after it has been parked for a while with turning the ignition on with the key. The steering wheel feels like it is locked in position and can not be turned in any direction. This usually lasts for less than a minute or two, then the power steering return as normal. This has happened several times now in the past 2 months and appears to be increasing in frequency. The Ford dealership at first replaced the passenger side lower arm and charged $637. After returning less than a week later to complain that the same exact problem was still happening. The dealership did a diagnostic check and said it was now the gear assembly which would cost $1,713.18 with parts, labor and tax.

- Tequesta, FL, USA

Sep 222014

Fusion 4-cyl

I bought the car used from carmax on April 5, 2014 with less than 15,000 miles on it. Apparently it passed their comprehensive 125 pt inspection. Since I had to be back at work later this week, was driving back to sacramento, California in Oregon on my way back from seattle, wa after dropping my daughter off at college. Made a lane change at 60 mph and noticed the stability control light on and the messages "service advancetrac now" and "service powersteering now" come on (I am deaf so I can't hear the chimes). Steering became a increasingly difficult, especially on the I-5 on the mountain passes in Oregon. I slowed down and was able to pull over to the nearest rest stop. Turned the car off to let it rest and turn it back on. Stability control light was off but service powersteering now message still came on at slower speeds. Stability control light came back on again with the "service advancetrac now" message displaying. Did this a few times with the same results and steering became increasingly difficult. Was able to get the car to my aunt's who lives nearby in Oregon. Since the car is still under warranty, my aunt called Ford who then sent out a tow truck to have it towed to the nearest Ford dealership in roseburg, or. Where it's being looked at. Did some research and came across all these recent complaints for the same year and model of my car. Never had anything like that happened to me before and it was a scary experience. I or someone else could've been killed from this issue. It seriously needs to be addressed and dealt with.

- Antelope, CA, USA

Sep 202014

I was driving my 2012 Ford Fusion when the service power steering/ service power train light came on. While I was driving the steering wheel became stiff and I was unable to turn the steering wheel. This is a major safety concern and should be dealt with accordingly.

- Grove Cty, PA, USA

Sep 162014

As other complaints, the power steering assist faulted resulting in no power steering. Fortunately, I was not moving at the time. Same repair is required as everyone else to repair the power steering. Contacted Ford and they do not have a recall. They suggested we contact the national highway transportation and safety administration which we did. If enough people complain perhaps a recall will result. This is a real safety issue especially for young drivers lacking the experience to handle a car that suddenly looses normal steering.

- Beaver, OH, USA

Sep 162014

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that immediately after starting the engine, the steering wheel became hard to turn and the power steering assist warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the power steering assist needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 62,000.

- Beaver, OH, USA

Sep 122014

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 40 mph, the service power steering warning light illuminated and the power steering failed. The vehicle was towed to the contact's mechanic shop. The contact was a certified mechanic who diagnosed that the power steering failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 42,000.

- Lihue, HI, USA

Sep 082014

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving 3 mph in reverse, the power steering seized and excessive force was required to maneuver the steering wheel. The power steering assist fault message illuminated on the instrument panel. The failure occurred three times within one week. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 36,000.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Sep 142014

Steer fault assist warning light came on and lost power steering.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 062014

The power steering suddenly quit working on our car, so my wife restarted the car and it worked fine again for about a month. Now it has suddenly quit working again and will not start working again even if I restart the car. This could potentially be a very dangerous problem. I have done some research online, and the internet is full of this same complaint on the same: Make, model, and year of vehicle.

- Deridder, LA, USA

Sep 102014

I was driving downhill at a steady 60 mph with no turns and got a error message on the dashboard to "service power steering now" and "service advancetrac now". the tow was covered under roadside assistance, however the estimate for this fix has not yet been received. For a brand new vehicle purchased with 0 miles, this sort of problem has been common among other vehicles and deserves a recall. Had I not known what to do given the situation, there could have been a very bad accident.

- Westminster, CO, USA

Sep 082014

Fusion 4-cyl

On several occasions the power assist failure light would come on while driving. The power steering would go out. You would have to stop, turn car off, wait 5 seconds then start car again. The power steering would re-engage at that point. Then it happens again a day later, sometimes months later.

- Meadville, PW, USA

Sep 052014

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving on interstate suddenly power steering stopped working. At the same time service light appeared on dashboard.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA