Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Power steering problems started rearing their ugly head in the 2010 Fusion, so you'd think Ford had plenty of time to make sure those problems didn't creep into the 2012. But here we are.

The Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) is a mess. It fails at an alarming rate. Don’t believe us? Take a look at NHTSA’s data on the subject.

And much like the power steering, we’re still seeing the same throttle body failures that started in 2010 continue in 2012.

2012 Ford Fusion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Fusion:

2012 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 20 of 23)

Mar 112014

I noticed a service power steering warning light come on. I shut the vehicle off and upon restarting it I had absolutely no power steering. Luckily I was no longer driving. This is a dangerous situation and a dangerous safety defect in equipment. I would not consider this to be normal wear and tear on a two year old vehicle. I learned several complaints have been made about this defect with similar dangers. I'm wondering what has been done to rectify the problem" am I fixing the problem using the same type of parts I had" with no change this could happen again in a two year period. This is not a small or inexpensive mechanical job. I strongly recommend looking into this situation for recall. What needs to happen for a recall to be granted....a fatality... I hope not.

- Charlotte, IA, USA

Mar 082014

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving the vehicle the service power steering notification came up on the dash. Car was still drivable with no loss of power steering. Car was shutdown once arrived at destination. When restarting car the service power steering now was displayed. Car was placed in to drive, no power steering was identified in addition to service advancetrac was displayed.

- Holts Summit, MO, USA

Feb 022014

Powers steering stop function when I was driving on wet condition regular street, lucky no injury but very unpleasant, waiting to see how many die before recall happens?

- Aiea, HI, USA

Jan 312014

Fusion 6-cyl

The steering on my 2012 Ford Fusion sel located up as my wife was backing out of a parking space and she could not steer the car.

- Edinburg, TX, USA

Jan 232014

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 75 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated as the power steering system malfunctioned. The contact stated that the vehicle became difficult to maneuver due to the steering. The contact did not take the vehicle to a dealer or a local mechanic. The failure mileage was 60,100.

- Kearny, NE, USA

Jan 192014

Was pulling off from a stop sign at a normal takeoff. Advancetrac warning light and service power steering now warning came on. Tried to do the reset that I found online. Nothing fixed it. Had to drive home 90 miles with no power steering. Will take to dealer in the morning. I've had the car 4 days and it was bought as a certified used vehicle.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Jan 032014

When steering I could hear a noise and I felt shake on steering wheel. Had to take to dealer.

- Santa Ana , CA, USA

Dec 242013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was turning onto the street at about 25 mph and as I approached my home, the advance trac system light came on and then the service power steering now light came on. Steering wheel locked up as I tried to turn into the driveway and I ran over the cable box on the curb because it was hard to turn at that point. Prior to this incident, there were problems with air pressure in the tires at least three times. Light continually came on indicating low tire pressure. Car was purchased on November 2, 2013. Dealership offered the extended warranty, we signed papers for it. When it came time to use it, the warranty was not there. We didn't sign any cancellation papers for it. Now we have to deal with a bogus dealership/finance company and pay for a part that may or may not be needed.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 192013

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while traveling various speeds, the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic who stated the rack and pinion failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified about the failure. The failure mileage and VIN were not available.

- North Hollywood, CA, USA

Dec 172013

Driving around 30mph, warning light and information display indicated "service advancetrac" then "service power steering now" message appeared. I pulled off road to parking lot, smelled a burning scent in the heat/ac vents. Power steering was disabled as soon as I was able to park my vehicle. No damage to my vehicle prior to incident.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Nov 252013

I have had several issues leading up to this and the dealer would say nothing is wrong. Car jumps forward when idling, car looses power when accelerating on highway. Lastly was complete loss of power and nearly hit by bus with kids in car. They replaced throttle body, A/C motor etc....two weeks gone bye and it is starting again. I need to give this car to my daughter to drive but it is not safe.

- Largo, FL, USA

Sep 102013

Fusion 4-cyl

Service advance track light came on, power steering disabled and traction control disabled. Making turn onto side street incident occurred. No accident involved. First time a simple turn of the key fixed the problem now it is completely disabled. Took to dealer they confirmed it as the power steering gear assembly on the advance track system. Part cost from Ford $900. Outrageous for a well maintained 2012 with 40,000 miles. Please research dealer said they had numerous issues with this... thank you

- Corbin, KY, USA

Nov 212013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was turning into the parking lot and I got a "power steering assist fault" and the steering wheel was impossible to turn. I turned the engine off and back on and the fault cleared.

- Princeton, TX, USA

Nov 222013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving down the interstate when my traction light came on and my steering wheel locked up. An error came on screen saying "power steering system fault". my vehicle is out of bumper to bumper warranty but still under power train warranty. The dealership states that it is not covered under that warranty. Because of this I almost wrecked the car as steering became very limited. The dealer also states this an internal steering module and must be replaced. My car is too new for a computer module to be going out.

- Gainesville, TX, USA

Oct 282013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving my car to the gas station to put air in my tire and as I was turning into the gas station my steering wheel locked up on me and the service advancetrac & service power steering now lights beeped and came on. I was almost hit from behind because I couldn't turn my wheel to get into the gas station. I got the air and started my car back up and the lights beeped and came on again. I had to drive to work with no power steering and was almost hit a couple of times because I'm not use to turning the wheel, it's so hard and my arms and chest hurt from this already. I don't have the money to get this services but need a safe running car as I'm a single mom of two and purchased this car thinking Ford was reliable. Very worried and stressed, what am I to do now"?"

- Garland, TX, USA

Oct 122013

Fusion 6-cyl

1st case 10/12/13 lost power steering - no error code found & reset 2nd case 10/21/13 lost power steering again both cases driving under 25 mph. Both cases had daughter with me. I am concerned on safety issue and requesting a recall. Concerned because in both cases with the unexpected loss of power steering I am not able to turn the wheel of the car. Warranty is up. Very disappointed with reading this is also happening to others! not acceptable Ford.

- West Paris, ME, USA

Oct 102013

Fusion 4-cyl

Vehicle lost power steering during driving. Light came on and message about power steering and to check advancetrac. Steering came back after I turned car off and back on after a few minutes. Warranty is now up of course on the car.

- Spring Hill, KS, USA

Oct 082013

I was driving down the highway and a light came on the dash and 2 messages appeared on dash - service advancetrac and power steering assist fault. It became extremely difficult to turn the steering wheel. This continued for several miles as I was in a carpool lane and unable to pull over anywhere. If this had happened while I was turning I would have had an accident. Turning the car off and restarting it cleared the messages and the steering functioned correctly again, however this is the 4th time in the last few months we have had this issue. We took our car to the dealership prior to the warranty expiration and they said there was no error code showing up.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Oct 042013

I took a hard turn to avoid a collision and hit a curb. The steering got hard, the advanced track light came on, and the problem wont go away.

- Homestead, FL, USA

Oct 012013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was picking up my girls from preschool and when returning home, I lost power steering going around a corner. A few chimes sounded and a "service advancetrac" and "power steering assist failure" message came on the dashboard read out. This is a very serious safety issue that a lot of Ford Fusion owners seem to be experiencing and I feel Ford needs to address this in some sort of recall.

- Meredith, NH, USA