CarComplaints.com Notes: Power steering problems started rearing their ugly head in the 2010 Fusion, so you'd think Ford had plenty of time to make sure those problems didn't creep into the 2012. But here we are.

The Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) is a mess. It fails at an alarming rate. Don’t believe us? Take a look at NHTSA’s data on the subject.

And much like the power steering, we’re still seeing the same throttle body failures that started in 2010 continue in 2012.

2012 Ford Fusion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Fusion:

2012 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 22 of 25)

Oct 102013

Fusion 4-cyl

Vehicle lost power steering during driving. Light came on and message about power steering and to check advancetrac. Steering came back after I turned car off and back on after a few minutes. Warranty is now up of course on the car.

- Spring Hill, KS, USA

Oct 082013

Fusion

I was driving down the highway and a light came on the dash and 2 messages appeared on dash - service advancetrac and power steering assist fault. It became extremely difficult to turn the steering wheel. This continued for several miles as I was in a carpool lane and unable to pull over anywhere. If this had happened while I was turning I would have had an accident. Turning the car off and restarting it cleared the messages and the steering functioned correctly again, however this is the 4th time in the last few months we have had this issue. We took our car to the dealership prior to the warranty expiration and they said there was no error code showing up.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Oct 042013

Fusion

I took a hard turn to avoid a collision and hit a curb. The steering got hard, the advanced track light came on, and the problem wont go away.

- Homestead, FL, USA

Oct 012013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was picking up my girls from preschool and when returning home, I lost power steering going around a corner. A few chimes sounded and a "service advancetrac" and "power steering assist failure" message came on the dashboard read out. This is a very serious safety issue that a lot of Ford Fusion owners seem to be experiencing and I feel Ford needs to address this in some sort of recall.

- Meredith, NH, USA

Sep 232013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while entering a driveway, the steering wheel exhibited a loud, abnormal noise. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 19,500.

- Milwalkee, WI, USA

Jun 032013

Fusion

Was driving the vehicle when the power assist fault indication occurred. As the car changed to manual steering it pulled the car to the left causing the car to cross into the other line before could react to the manual steering. The car is very difficult to steer under manual steering, taking a lot of force to make turns even at highway speeds. Once got to a place to stop, the only thing that would reset the power steering assist fault was by turning the car totally off and then restarting the car. This has happen 6 more times since then. Have taken the car to Ford dealership to have it fixed, but they just said no code of the fault was shown and that was it. Not only is this a safety factor under normal driving conditions but would be a major safety problem on ice or snow driving.

- Broadview Heights, OH, USA

Aug 152013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the steering wheel began to stick. As time progressed the vehicle performed in a manner reminiscent of having a flat tire and the service advance track warning light illuminated. The contact stopped the vehicle to check the tires but could not determine a failure. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for routine service and she was informed that the rack and pinion would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileage was 60,000.

- Gordonsville, VA, USA

Aug 302013

Fusion 6-cyl

My 2012 Ford Fusion sel/3.0L V6 was being driven on busy highway at 55+ mph. Power steering fault/service autotrac warning came on suddenly. Power steering failed; driver had very difficult time controlling car on highway. Steering was very difficult for remainder of drive. After it was shut off and turned back on, fault cleared, warning light was gone, and steering was fine. Drove approximately 200 miles with no issues. Next time car was turned on and put into gear, fault came back. Shut off, turned back on, it cleared again. $1600+ quoted to fix issue with steering gear. Car has 45,000 miles on it.

- Detroit Lakes, MN, USA

Sep 282012

Fusion 6-cyl

Drove home normally and shut off the car. Went to restart the car and the care indicated a "power steering failure - service advance trak" message. Shutting off and restarting the car did not change the result. Car had no power steering. Drove the car to the dealer. The dealer indicated that the steering rack needed replaced. $1900 warranty repair.

- Stow, OH, USA

Jul 222009

Fusion 6-cyl

Power steering service track light came on during car start up and I had no power steering. I restarted the car and the power steering worked and the service light went off. I looked to check the power steering fluid and found the system is electronic. This problem repeated about every 2 weeks during startup and was resolved similarly. On August 23, 2013 the problem occurred again but restarting did not fix the problem. No other problems other than low air pressure service light.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

May 052013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the power steering failed as the steering wheel tightened with the illumination of the power steering light. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was advised to the contact that the power steering gear needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 34,000. Updated 03/18/14

- Topeka , KS, USA

Oct 032012

Fusion

I was driving my car and on the dash of my car displayed a power steering assist fault. Which then it became very difficult to turn. I quickly put the car in neutral and turned it off and then back on. It fixed the problem and the message on my dash went away. The problem occurred twice more over the year and finally today as I got in my car the same message came up and wouldn't go away. So no I cant drive my own car and I live in a remote part of the U.S.

- Barstow, CA, USA

Aug 312013

Fusion 6-cyl

For several months, my 2012 Ford Fusion would occasionally have a power steering failure. Restarting the vehicle would solve this. However, today, the power steering failure is not going away. My hud reads "power steering assist fault" and "service advancetrac" I will be taking it to get serviced at my first opportunity. Searching the internet implies that this is a nearly ubiquitous problem.

- Warner Robins, GA, USA

Apr 152013

Fusion

I was driving down the interstate when an alarm sounded and two warning messages appeared on the dash display. Power steering assist fault and service advancetrac. At that time there was no power steering. The vehicle was extremely difficult to turn. Had I been executing a turn at the time of the failure I likely would have run into something. The steering is extraordinarily stiff when the power assist is off. This has occurred several times over the past few months. In the past, restarting the vehicle cleared the error message and the power steering worked again. This time however the failure seems permanent. Ford has examined the vehicle and said the failure is in a motor in the rack and pinion and the entire steering assembly will have to be replaced to the tune of $1900. This is a very dangerous problem as it occurs with no warning and at all different speeds. I have also noticed some "clunking" sounds when the steering wheel is turned while the vehicle is stationary.

- Loganville, GA, USA

Aug 272013

Fusion

Twice in one week the power steering went out. The power steering failure, service advance track light came on and the steering was difficult. Ford dealer is possibly going to replace the power steering assembly, they are waiting on an ok email since the code that they found is different from the one they are "familiar" with. The first time it occurred was with my son who has a learners permit. Very scary for a first time driver in a not even 2 yr old vehicle!

- Holland, MI, USA

Aug 162013

Fusion

Driving at approx. 62 mph on highway when warning light for "service advancetrac system and power steering assist failure. Very dangerous issue, lucky I did not hit another car as was changing lanes with concrete barrier to my left and fast moving vehicles to my right. I have researched this car and found numerous complaints similar to mine. Ford has car today and says steering gear bad, lucky I bought extended warranty. Ford should be required to replace these. This is a serious issue totally safety related. This vehicles has only 41,000 miles.

- Rowlett, TX, USA

Aug 142013

Fusion 6-cyl

Traveling at 65 mph on interstate when service advanced trac light came on and power steering was lost.

- West Jordan, UT, USA

Aug 202013

Fusion 4-cyl

The steering has play and is starting to lock. There is thud noise as I turn the steering wheel right to left and left to right.

- Cave Creek, AZ, USA

Feb 122013

Fusion

I was driving down the highway doing approximately 55 miles an hour.. conditions were clear.. all of a sudden there was some beeping noise.. then the wheel completely locked up on me.. I was thankful I was on a straight road.. I slowed down and the car had a warning stating the power steering had failed.. I put the car in park and shut off the vehicle.. since owning the vehicle (purchased brand new), there have been 5 power steering failures..

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Aug 182013

Fusion

After making a left turn and driving on a dry road at 35mph, I heard a signal and an image of a car & tracks appeared on upper left corner of dashboard along with words power steering, etc. I did not see the complete message since I had to concentrate on trying to steer into a parking space. I am an 84 year old woman and it was next to impossible to steer. The car was towed to dealer and they told me they were able to drive it without a problem. They will check it out tomorrow. Definitely power steering failure.

- Nags Head, NC, USA