Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Power steering problems started rearing their ugly head in the 2010 Fusion, so you'd think Ford had plenty of time to make sure those problems didn't creep into the 2012. But here we are.

The Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) is a mess. It fails at an alarming rate. Don’t believe us? Take a look at NHTSA’s data on the subject.

And much like the power steering, we’re still seeing the same throttle body failures that started in 2010 continue in 2012.

2012 Ford Fusion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Fusion:

2012 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 7 of 23)

Feb 102015

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving at 20 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to steer the vehicle. The service power steering was displayed across the message board. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the pinion rack needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000. Updated 09/25/15

- Michigan City , IN, USA

Jun 302015

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering), but the contact had not received a recall notification from the manufacturer. The contact stated that the power steering warning lamp illuminated and the steering wheel was extremely difficult to turn left and right. The contact had to apply force to turn the steering wheel. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 96,000.

- Sanford, NC, USA

Apr 272015

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact received a recall notice for the steering; however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. The NHTSA campaign number was unknown.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Jun 242015

Was driving home and came to a stop and the peer steering went out. It came difficult to steer there was a child in the vehicle didn't even feel safe with child in the car had some pick the child up.

- Birmingham , AL, USA

Feb 022015

I had been noticing some irregular noises coming from the front suspension of my 2012 Ford Fusion, this is my wife's primary vehicle so I was concerned about her and the kids safety. I took the car to my local mechanic thinking it just needed alignment or a possible tie rod issue....unfortunately that was not the case. My mechanic explained and showed the problem to me ( I myself do mechanic work so he always shows me what he found). It seems the entire rack and pinion assembly was needing to be replaced, and in addition the movement of the said faulty rack had caused wear in the outer drive shaft and lower control arms. Total cost to repair, $2,245! this is a crime!!! the car is three years old, and moderate mileage. Again, I have pretty good mechanical knowledge, in 30 years I have never seen or heard of a rack and pinion assembly failing in such a short period of time, heck brake pads last longer than that! Ford needs to step up and fix this problem as I have found thousands of Fusion owners have had the same problem. I would even consider paying the labor costs if they provided the needed something Ford, lives are at stake!

- Lumberton , TX, USA

Jun 162015

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. When shifting into reverse or drive, the steering wheel seized. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 35,000.

- Dearborn, MI, USA

Jun 212015

While driving the vehicle on the evening of 06/20/2015 the power steering slowly started to go out, then after turning off the car and restarting all together I received the notifications "service advancetrac" and "service power steering now" after searching online to no avail, I had to wait until Monday morning to take the car to a local Ford dealership. I waited 2 1/2 hours for a diagnostic to be ran on my car to be told the steering gear was broken and it would be roughly a $1500 fix on top of what I paid for the diagnostic although a recall is currently pending for this exact issue along with the cars internal cpu. When the cars internal cpu was reset this wiped the error codes letting the power steering resume, but this is only a temporary fix as the cpu could notice again at any time that the steering gear is broken. Ford is currently "reviewing" to see if they will pay for these damages as there currently is a pending recall for this issue, but I have yet to hear back.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jun 202015

When the car was turned on it was showing warning notifications stating "service advancetrac" and "service power steering now" we tried turning the car off and on again, driving it to see if it corrected itself, airing up the tires. Nothing has been able to clear this error.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jun 152015

Received a power steering assist fault in the electronic power assisted steering (epas) system losing all steering ability and creating a dangerous situation, researched VIN for Ford recall on issue and was frustrated that manufacture of the vehicle, although at the same facility, was 6 months after Ford VIN range of vehicles placed on the recall list. Ford will not provide cost relief for expected repair cost of $1,600

- Hopedale, MA, USA

Jun 022015

On 6/4/15 turned a corner and lost my power steering. I parked the car and turned off the engine to attend to business at my destination. When I returned and started the car, everything returned to normal. On 6/6/2015, the car and steering worked properly the entire day and for a long drive. When I got in the car to drive across the street, the power steering was gone and never returned. The rack and pinion was replace on 6/15/15. I am very displeased that something like this happens and there is no warranty. This is a dangerous issue for a vehicle that is only 3 years old, with low miles. I purchased the vehicle, which was a lease, six months ago.

- Marion, IA, USA

Nov 122014

While driving down the interstate at a speed of 70 mph the car lost all power steering.

- Woodbury, TN, USA

Jun 072015

It's actually been occurring for a couple months now, but with much greater frequency lately. For example, today, on three separate occasions, I started my car, and some error message about a power steering fault or failure showed up and the power steering went out, and I could hardly move the steering wheel. Each time, I turned the car off and started it again which "fixed" it, not really. The 2nd time this occurred today, I had to shut off and restart the car twice before the power steering would return. There is no excuse for this. In addition, it really pisses me off because I know, if I take it to a Ford dealership, they will try to screw me, make me pay some ridiculous amount of money to remedy their incompetence. It's total garbage.

- Hillsboro, OH, USA

Sep 032014

In September of 2014 the power steering went out in my 2012 Ford Fusion. I bought this car new in 2012. Ford agreed to pay half of the cost last year and I paid the remaining $779.58. Yesterday, June 6,2015 the power steering went out again! this needs to be addressed as a safety issue! Ford needs to recall all of these vehicles and fix what should have been fixed when the problem began!

- South Point, OH, USA

Apr 162015

Driving on a local road, and all of a sudden the power steering gets really hard to handle. Pulled over to side of road, fear of what could happen if I kept going. This happened again regarding the steering. We called our local Ford dealership to report this problem. They said my car is not covered by the recall, yet I saw on abc news there are recalls regarding the Ford Fusion? can you please help me or keep me informed on information you find regarding the Ford Fusion.

- Yatesville, PA, USA

Apr 262014

My car lost power pulling into a parking garage when I went on a road trip to springfield mass, the first time on 4/26/2015 it said it was shouting down that the ABS does this to protect it from over heating and then it would not let me steer, I then took it when I got back to Ford and they could not find any thing wrong with it, the next time it lost power was turning a corner in a parking lot on 5/21/2015 at the rite aid parking lot in rehoboth beach de it said on the screen power steering fault

- Rehoboth Beach , DE, USA

May 222015

This is the second instance of my power steering going out. The first was while I was driving. I turned the car off and restarted and that issue went away the second was when I was pulling out of my garage. The power steering goes out and the following errors show on my dash. Power steering assist fault service advancetrac I have tried to restart the car but the issue still persists.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 192015

I was driving on a highway going about 45mph then the stability control system icon turned on on my dash. I started to slow down and noticed that it took a lot more effort to steer the car. I started to slow to pull over to the side of the road and turning the steering wheel became almost impossible. There were cars behind me that had to come to and unexpected slow as I tried to get off of the road. I was able to pull over onto the side of the road in someones yard and turned the car off. During this time the messages "power steering assist fault" and "service advancetrac" were displaying on my dash. I turned the car off and back on and the same messages would show. I turned the car back off and call aaa to have my car towed on a flatbed to my local Ford dealer, athens Ford. They told me that my rack and pinion needed to be replaced and the wheels realinned. I asked how this happened and johnathan told me that the electrical component was defective and that there was no was for me to prevent it. The cost of the repair was estimated at $1800 and I had to get a rental for 2 days.

- Athens , GA, USA

May 192015

While returning home through neighborhood, the power steering failed and the warning light "service power steering now" and "service advancetrac" came on. No other advance notice and car has received all scheduled maintenance and inspections since purchased new. The car was unresponsive for tight maneuvering (e.g. turns in subdivision). Since speed was low in the neighborhood, the car could be stopped and accident avoided. Car was towed to Ford dealer.

- Spring, TX, USA

May 192015

While driving, the power steering went out and the advancetrack and steering lights came on. After towing to dealer, dealer claims the electronic power steering rack needs to be replaced.

- Elgin, IL, USA

May 042015

Gear in steering column causing difficulty in steering at low speeds.

- Macomb, MI, USA