CarComplaints.com Notes: The 1999 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, engine shuts off while driving, & peeling paint. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

Engine stalling while driving in the 1999 Accord is typically caused by a defective ignition switch -- inexpensive to repair (under $200) but dangerous.

Peeling paint has also been an issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.

8.8

2. new ignition switch (4 reports)
  3. replaced ignition switch (electrical portion only) (3 reports)
  4. dealership replaced ignition switch (2 reports)
  5. i had a problem with my car stalling (2 reports)
  6. it was the bad ignition switch which needs replacement (2 reports)
1999 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Honda Accord:

1999 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Jul 032009

Accord EX V$

This time I was turning left across traffic on an extremely busy 4-lane highway when the engine shut down. I coasted across the intersection, barely avoiding being broadsided by oncoming traffic. This is precisely the type of incident I have feared since the car started this bizarre behavior in April. After entering the side street, I was able to shift into neutral and restart the engine. Please see my numerous other accounts of this ongoing problem.

Jun 252009

Accord EX V$

This time I was decelerating at a stoplight when the engine shut down. The light turned green and I was almost rear-ended because the car behind me sped up but I could not. As quickly as I could, I shifted into neutral and restarted the vehicle. Please see my numerous other accounts of this ongoing problem.

Jul 052009

Accord EX V$

This time I was pulling out of a parking lot across two lanes of traffic when the engine shut down. If there had been more traffic, I could have easily been broadsided. This is a potentially dangerous problem. I still cannot believe that American Honda is not concerned about this issue. Please see my numerous other accounts of this ongoing problem.

Jul 052009

Accord EX V$

This time I was decelerating on the freeway off-ramp when the engine shut down. I shifted into neutral while coasting and restarted the engine. Please see my numerous other accounts of this ongoing problem.

Jun 182009

Accord EX V$

This time I was on a surface street travelling at 45 mph when the engine shut down. Engine was restarted in neutral while coasting and travel resumed. See my numerous other accounts of the same problem.

Jun 172009

Accord EX V$

This time the engine died 200' after pulling out of my driveway in a curve going downhill. That's a perfect place to have no power steering and limited braking. See my multitude of other occurrences.

Jul 072009

Accord EX V$

This time I was traveling on a surface street at 40 mph when the engine shut down. I shifted into neutral and restarted the engine.

UPDATE: I mentioned previously that I filed a formal complaint with NHTSA about this problem, but that I had never heard from an investigator. As a result, I wrote my congressman asking him to contact NHTSA on my behalf. He must have done so, because today I received a call from an NHTSA investigator. I missed the call, so I don't know what they plan to do for us. I will provide an update after I speak to them tomorrow. This may be an effective way to draw attention to this problem, if anyone else would like to try it.

Jul 032009

Accord EX V$

This time I was stopped at a traffic light when the engine shut down. I tried to restart the engine, which immediately died again. On my second attempt, I had to rev the engine to keep it running until the light changed. Please see my numerous other accounts of this ongoing problem.

Jun 292009

Accord EX V$

This time I was braking to stop at a traffic light on a busy city street at lunch hour when the engine shut down. I was able to shift into neutral and restart the vehicle without incident. Please see my numerous other accounts of this ongoing problem.

Jun 182009

Accord EX V$

I had just left the office and had entered a hairpin s-curve on the route home when the engine shut down. I lost power steering and had difficulty negotiating my way out of danger. Because I had to steer, it was not possible to shift into neutral to restart the vehicle until I got back on the straightaway. I could have easily driven off the road or into oncoming traffic. Or, as the car slowed down, I could easily have been rear-ended. I have been lucky so far. Let's hope the luck holds until Honda sees fit to identify and rectify this problem. See my numerous other accounts of the same problem.

Jun 172009

Accord EX V$

The engine had died two miles earlier on the same trip but had restarted so I could continue my trip. By now I was going 45 mph on a surface street when the engine shut down without warning as usual. I shifted into neutral and restarted the vehicle. See my numerous other accounts of the same problem.

Jun 292009

Accord EX V$

I was traveling slowly up the washed-out driveway of a rural cell tower, behind a locked gate and miles from anywhere or anyone when the engine shut down. Had I not been able to restart the car, I would have been in quite a predicament. My profession requires use of a reliable vehicle, which this Accord is proving not to be. Since American Honda denies the problem and their service departments don't know how to fix it, it seems the only solution is to buy another vehicle. I think not. That is not a reasonable solution. Honda has sold us what they claim to be a highly reliable vehicle. Those of us with this complaint must find a way to force Honda to identify and repair the problem. Please file a complaint with NHTSA. There's a link on this web site, or you can search on NHTSA and their web site will come up. If you don't hear from them in a timely manner, write your congressman asking him/her to contact NHTSA on your behalf. I expect if enough of us do that, it will eventually generate the enthusiasm we need to get this problem resolved.

Jun 222009

Accord EX V$

This time I was traveling at 40 mph on a surface street when the immobilizer system light came on and the engine disengaged. I shifted into neutral and restarted the engine while coasting. I should mention this each time, but the AC was off if anyone is curious.

I mentioned previously that I had filed a formal complaint with NHTSA on 6/8/09. They immediately acknowledged my complaint but by 6/24/09 they I still had not been otherwise contacted. So, as promised, I wrote my congressman asking him to contact NHTSA on behalf of other NHTSA complainants, and any other Honda owner who has been victim of this problem. I will keep you posted.

In the meantime, please see my numerous other accounts of this ongoing problem.

Jun 262009

Accord EX 4 cyl

when i am driving does not matter what speed, first all the lights come on like it is going to shut down, then usually in about 5 min it completely dies and will not start for 15-20 min. i have found no one that is able to fix it, because they say unless it does it infront of them they do not know. i want to know why these machanic can let me drive around with this horrible problem and not be able to find out what is wrong

- , Indio, CA, USA

Jun 032009

Accord LX V6

I had the same problem with the honda accord '99 car. I just went 2 miles & the car went off at 40 mph. I went to Honda Service Station & they diagnosed & said that it has an ignition problem. I fixed it & the problem continues. It is really very bad that no one is able to figure out the problem (not even the Honda people). I think there is some problem with the relay as one of the mechanic told that if the engine gets very hot, then close the car & open the front shutter & get the engine cold air. Start it after some time & it may work. So i want to know from u guys - has any one replaced the relay of the engine and had the same problem?

Let others know about this.

If any one has got a fix then please let others know about this.

- , Melbourne, FL, USA

Jun 052009

Accord EX V$

I went shopping over the weekend and took my ailing Honda. I don't have a choice as it's the only car I have. I had driven about 25 miles with two brief stopovers and surprisingly the car hadn't died. As I suspected, though, it was too good to be true. Sure enough the car died when I pulled onto the off-ramp about a mile from my house. I had to stop for another car at the end of the off-ramp, by which time I had shifted into neutral and restarted the engine. Please see my multitude of other complaints. By the way, I sent American Honda 29 pages which summarize various formal and informal complaints I found on the internet about this problem. So don't let them tell you they are not aware of the problem if you contact them.

Update from Jul 8, 2009: I also filed a formal complaint with NHTSA on 6/8. If I don't hear from them soon, I will also write my congressman.

Jun 052009

Accord EX V$

This time I was driving about 45 mph on a surface street when the immobilizer system light came on, followed by the engine dying and several other lights flashing. I put it in neutral and restarted the engine while coasting. Please see my multitude of previous complaints.

Jun 042009

Accord EX V$

This time I had driven about a mile from home when the engine died suddenly without warning while traveling 20 mph on a surface street. The AC was off. I put it in neutral and restarted the engine while coasting. Please see my multitude of previous complaints.

Jun 032009

Accord EX V$

Same problem as usual. This time I had driven about 5 miles and was traveling at 40 mph with the AC on when the immobilizer system light came on and the engine disengaged. I put it in neutral and restarted the engine while coasting. It's a good thing the engine restarted because this was a narrow road with no shoulder. Please see my previous complaints.

May 312009

Accord EX V$

This is the 10th complaint I've filed on this site, documenting about 14 similar incidents so far. I've also filed an NHTSA complaint, of which there were already at least 23 others. I'm ready to get my Congressman involved to put pressure on the NHTSA to do something. I urge everyone with this problem to do the same.

On this occasion I had driven about 2 miles when the immobilizer system light came on at about 50 mph. The engine did not die this time but disengaged (i.e. dropped to 0 RPMs). When I shifted into neutral and then back into drive, the light went off and normal driving resumed. Usually the engine dies and I have to restart it while coasting. My immobilizer system light had only come on one other time, after which I immediately began using a new key in case the chip in the old one was going bad. So a bad key can't be the problem and my ignition has already been replaced under recall. If this really is an ignition problem, which the warning light indicated, Honda's recall did nothing to solve the problem. In reviewing other complaints, I notice that many others have purchased new keys and/or had their ignition switches replaced to no avail.

My local Honda dealer acted as if this is an unusual problem. And, while they have no problem charging me for analysis, they have been unable to diagnose the problem. When I discovered all these complaints on the internet, I printed them and offered to send copies to the Honda dealer via voice mail. I asked for a return call from the service writer I have been dealing with, but after 4 days I have still not been contacted. Perhaps the dealership is afraid to get involved.