Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 1999 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, engine shuts off while driving, & peeling paint. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

Engine stalling while driving in the 1999 Accord is typically caused by a defective ignition switch -- inexpensive to repair (under $200) but dangerous.

Peeling paint has also been an issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.

2. new ignition switch (4 reports)
  3. replaced ignition switch (electrical portion only) (3 reports)
  4. dealership replaced ignition switch (2 reports)
  5. i had a problem with my car stalling (2 reports)
  6. it was the bad ignition switch which needs replacement (2 reports)
1999 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Honda Accord:

1999 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Sep 102008

Accord LX 2.3L

I also have the same problem as reported. The car will stall while running. It just happens randomly. The AC/CDplayer or other accessories keep working, just seems like someone has pulled a plug and the engine stops. Park the car and crank it again and it is just fine and starts running. Don't really know the solution to this one. I will have it checked next month. Any suggestions?

- , Jamestown, NC, USA

Sep 022008

Accord EX 2.3L

First time the car gave me a sign that something was wrong was 3 weeks ago. After parked in a mall parking lot for about an hour, started car and headed to exit. A/C was on full blast but radio was not on. At a traffic light about 3 minutes later, car completely dies. I put car in park and restarted car with no problems. Proceeded to drive home with no problems. 3 weeks later, was driving on the interstate after bout 5 miles of driving and car lost all power for about a half second, dash lights flashed as if I were starting the car, and car came back on without any intervention from me and proceeded to drive normally. About a minute later, the same thing happened. I made it home without any problems. I have driven it once after this happened for about 3 miles and all was well.

- , Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Jul 062008

Accord LX

Periodically, while driving my car, the entire system shuts off (I have never had this problem trying to start the car. For the most part, I would coast to the side of the road, put it in park, and take the key out of the ignition. While it would usually turn back on after a few minutes, this last time it resisted all efforts until I waited about 10 minutes, revved the engine past 4000rpm while trying the ignition.

The car has not been trouble free; I have had to replace a cracked engine, several radiator hoses and the battery since I got it a year and a half ago. However, I have gone to two different mechanics to get it fixed, and neither has figured out what is causing this.

Initially, I thought it was in the electrical system, since the first time it happened I had air conditioning, lights, radio, and wipers on (it was raining), and I assumed I had overloaded it/had an old battery. After replacing it, it happened again several times. With a new engine, I am pretty sure that is not the source of the problem, but the fact that the revving caused it to work, I am now guessing that there is some issue getting fuel to the engine maybe.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, since no mechanic will ever say "I don't know" without doing at least $300 worth of various labor first.

- , Gaithersburg, MD, USA

May 272008

Accord 4

This happened once in January. Then when it happened twice (w/in a minute of each other) in March, I had the car serviced. My mechanic thought the problem might be that it needed a tuneup. It was OK until last week when it happened 4 - 5 times. It seems to totally power off (RPM's go to zero) then comes back on again w/in seconds--no rhyme or reason. I'm afraid that it's a very dangerous problem that I would have fixed if I knew what it was.

- , Katonah, NY, USA

Jun 032007

Accord EX 3.0L V6 VTEC

spent ridiculous amount of money on this problem almost got rear ended several times after it conveniently shuts off. no established pattern tried replacing ignition coil/distributer and ignition switch. Hooked up a spark tester and had good spark each time engine turned over. dealer and 4 private mechanics cant figure it out....... any help?

- , Bothell, WA, USA