CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for Honda Accords & other models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as settlement for a class action lawsuit, but that period is over & owners of Accords with transmission problems are out of luck.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad. Also make sure your 2001 Accord has been checked for the airbag recall: excessive pressure may cause metal fragments during airbag deployment.

2001 Honda Accord seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Accord:

2001 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 10 of 12)

Aug 012003

Accord 6-cyl

I own a 2001 Honda Accord ex. The SRS light has been on for several months. I have taken it to a local shop to have them try to turn it off, but they cannot. I have read several forum that state Honda is clueless about trying to solve this issue and have charged customers a great deal of money to troubleshoot, but never fix the issue. Honda will not admit that they have a defective system which disables the airbags, creating a life-threatening situation should I have an accident.

- Coronado, CA, USA

Nov 272004

Accord 6-cyl

1. purchased a new 2001 Accord and the air bag lights would come on and off. Returned car to dealership three times w/O corrective action. Finally told that the tecnology is sensitive and nothing can be done. 2. on 11/27/04 I was in an accident. Another car came through an intersection and I hit the car broadside at approximately 35 mph. I hit with the passenger front corner and extending to the midsection of the front of the car. Air bags did not deploy! both vehicles had to be towed, police report filed and minor property damage.

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Aug 082004

Accord

2001 Honda Accord air bag. The entire air bag system was compromised by a tissue box. The consumer felt that Honda should make every effort to secure and or encase the wiring for the air bag system. A tissue box which was shoved under the driver seat had cut the wiring system to the air bags. The dealer refused to provide repairs under warranty because the failure was the result of the consumer's actions.

- Unknown, DC, USA

May 102004

Accord

SRS light continues to stay on while driving.. the vehicle was taken to the dealer who determined that the vehicle needed a new opds unit switch which is located under the passenger seat and controls the air bags. The dealer contacted the manufacturer to see if the part was covered and was told that only the SRS unit and cable reels were covered. The consumer did not have the repairs made because she believes the manufacturer should be financially responsible.

- Lodi, NJ, USA

Oct 152004

Accord 4-cyl

SRS indicator light came on 10/15/2004 when I started engine in the morning and the light stayed on after that. Car is maintained in good condition always, there was no problem with the car and it ran fine. Talked to dealers and all said they need to diagnose for a charge of 80-100$. I took the car to coral springs Honda on 10/22/2004 and they said SRS unit is bad and they charged $516 $ to replace it. I had to pay and replace the SRS unit (fp no. 77960-S84-A75, dtc 07-2 SRS unit, 6490148). It seems this is a generic failures as shown by many complaints here. Honda should pay for this problem fix and customers shouldn't be burdened with this replacement cost!

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Sep 072004

Accord 4-cyl

SRS warning light turned on 3 times within first year of purchase (Jul. 01) the dealership gave an excuse that cell phone chargers will set it off. Within 2 years it turned on another 2 times and has stayed on ever since. Talked to another dealership and they said a cell phone charger should in no way cause that light to turn on. Turned to first dealership with this reply and they said since the warranty is up they would not do anything about it and still had no other reason it should be on. The date listed is the day a second dealership was confronted and first dealership confronted. Was referred by employee at a seperate repair shop.

- Ames, IA, USA

Aug 012004

Accord

Supplemental restraint system light illuminateed which disabled the air bag safety system. The opds was replaced and the vehicle operated without the SRS light illuminating for a year, the SRS light had come back on and disabled the air bag system. The service dealer detected a "hard code, " which determined deployment on the driver's side air bag, which had not occurred. The consumer requested that the service dealer "dix Honda, " repair the air bag system and to warrant continuing workmanship and stability of the SRS.

- Port Matilda, PA, USA

Aug 082004

Accord 4-cyl

SRS illuminated for no apparent reason. The vehicle is a 2001 Honda Accord ex. After dealer reset, the light came on again. When the light is on the SRS is rendered inoperative. The dealer was prepared with literature for reasons that might cause the light to illuminate. I think this situation should be considered as serious as faulty seat belt and/or harness failures which are covered by the dealer on an extended warranty basis. After reading many complaints about the SRS light stays on or illuminated it is obvious that my problem or system failure isnT an isolated case. It appears that many drives are accepting the light illuminated as irritating and to expensive to repair while their SRS system is totally inoperative. What might even be worse is that there are quick fixes on the internet to reset the light and by repeated resetting the light might mask or ignore the root problem. The dealer charge for the diagnostic test was $80. The dealer agreed to reset the light again concurrent with other maintenance. After a third reset by the dealer I was told that it would not reset and the control module would need to be replaced. Approximate total cost  $750.

- Keizer, OR, USA

Apr 222004

Accord

FOIA request certified copies of all recalls involving the 2001 Honda Accord, attorney represent client injured when the driver side airbag failed to deploy, ES search resulted in no records. (nar)

- Albany, GA, USA

Jul 292004

Accord

I was driving approximately 60 mph and rear ended a city bus on the highway in wich the air bags failed to deploy.

- Missio Viejo, CA, USA

Jul 092004

Accord 6-cyl

After buying the car I started having problems with airbag warning light system, and continue to have this problem over the next 3 years. I have taken this car to two different dealerships for this problem and they would fix the problem for a short time and then the light would come back on. The last time I took the car to bob montomergy Honda world in louisville, ky. They stated that they had found the problem and that they have fixed the problem, after a couple of months the problems returned.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Sep 262003

Accord 4-cyl

SRS and side air bag lights come on and off intermittently regardless of pcs phone use and/or person/book bag in passenger seat. Brought to dealer in April 2004, said it was a weak battery. Had battery inspected by independant mechanic and was well with specifications for 3-4 yr old battery. Paid $39 to tell me that nothing was wrong. Noticed recall for 2000-2001 Honda Accord illuminator panel and discovered not the issue, but found this site and am amazed at the number of failures with no resolution or cause as to why this is occuring. Will contact dealership again with case studies obtained from this website.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Jul 152003

Accord

After 1 week of using my Accord, the side airbag lights comes on and off.I took it for repair to the dealership where I bought the car[rosenthal Honda of tysons corner.va.]this has been going on and on and today is my 5th time to complain about my side airbag indicator, and again I was told the same thing over and over again.they say the indicator will come and stay if my passenger is not properly sitted, I cannot understand why the light indicator stays and won't go off.I am so tired of pleasing the service center telling the same thing again and again, I don't know how to resolve this problem anymore.yesterday I called the amaerican Honda Motors and they told me that the indicator should not stay on.service center has no good explanation on this.please help thanks

- Centreville, VA, USA

Jan 152003

Accord

The SRS light came on and stayed on until car was turned off. First date of failure noted above. This same problem has occurred 2 more times since the first repair attempt. At the present time, the car is in need of a third repair attempt. The current odometer reading is 7,700.

- La Habra, CA, USA

Nov 152002

Accord

All of the above dates and mileage are approximate. I have the information on paper at home. I have also had the hardest time with Honda financial services with them calling me and saying that I never paid my monthly bill (last fall), which I did, and then finally they found the check and said "oh, our mistake, it has been here the whole time." and then now, I have them saying that I was in default of my lease because they never had information for my insurance, which my insurance was supposed to send them that information. I checked back with them a week later (today) and they said that they were going to impound my car because my insurance company never got back with them. Called my insurance company, and it took 5 mins. To have someone fax over proof of insurance. That was all - was it that difficult"?" this car had to have the back brakes replaced after 25000 miles (about a month ago - it was making this awful noise, like rattling chains underneath) - that should not have happened. The back window tinting lifted up after 1 year, the tire blew out on the freeway 1 month after getting it (leased the car Aug 2001). The service engine light has come on twice, for no apparent reason. And the SRS light was on 2 different times. Had it turned off the 1st time. Then 1 week later it was back on, brought back to my dealership and they said it was something wrong with the computer system, but they could not give me a good enough explanation. When I first was looking for a car at the dealership, this car was not on the lot where all the other cars for sale were, it was in the back, by the service department. Asked the sales rep if the car was in okay condition and he said it was, and there was nothing wrong with it because it only had 10 miles on it - I should have known then. This car is a pain in the behind and it is just a hassle for everything that keeps happening with it.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Mar 012004

Accord 6-cyl

From the time that I have owned this vehicle I have had to taken it to two different dealerships( sam swope Honda world and bob montgomery Honda) concerning the airbag warning light. This vehicle has been the shop 8 different times for this same problem they always do a quick fix and within a couple of months the problem recurs. The airbag lights light comes on like the system is still deactivated. The last time I had it in the shop on 3/1/04 at bob montgomery within hours of getting the car back the light was back on.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Apr 192003

Accord 6-cyl

While driving 60 mph the steering wheel locked up followed by a tire blowout on the rear driver side, causing the vehicle to roll over, as a result the airbags failed to deploy. The consumer suffered neck and back injuries. The cd player did not always work and experienced static.

- Beverly Hills, CA, USA

Sep 122003

Accord 4-cyl

Air bags are stitched up on the sides.

- St Petersburg, FL, USA

Apr 072003

Accord 6-cyl

When im driving my SRS light comes on occasionally, I havent had any accidents so I dont know if they will deploy, it seems that a fair amount of Honda have this problem, and for what ive seen they cant get repaired. I have a 2001 ex

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 262003

Accord

While driving at 55 mph vehicle was invovled in a head on collision and air bags did not deploy. Vehicle was totalled.

- Taylor, AZ, USA