Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2001 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for Honda Accords & other models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as settlement for a class action lawsuit, but that period is over & owners of Accords with transmission problems are out of luck.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad. Also make sure your 2001 Accord has been checked for the airbag recall: excessive pressure may cause metal fragments during airbag deployment.

2001 Honda Accord seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Accord:

2001 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 9 of 11)

Feb 222006

Accord 4-cyl

Our 2001 Honda Accord has always been serviced @ the dealer, penske Honda in Ontario ca. The SRS light has come on periodically since purchase, but the salesman and service told my son it was no big deal. My daughter had a collision @ 65 mph, rear ended a truck 4K after I had $1500 worth of service, and I told henry at the dealer I wanted to make sure the airbags were checked. Her car was a total loss, and she hit the truck evenly, not at an angle. The passenger airbag deployed, driver's did not. Honda customer service was rude, refused a supervisor call back, & accepted no responsibility even though no one saw the vehicle. They claim the car slid under the truck, and was contained in the crumple zone. If that is true why did the passenger air bag go off" I'm told both airbags are on 1 mutual sensor. I need someone to inspect this vehicle or to pull the codes to prove there was a problem; they refused. All I wanted was cooperation to note a possible product defect. Now they have me angry enough to pursue legal. Poor move Honda!!!!!if you have a product defect, and someone else dies, what then"

- Fontana, CA, USA

Jun 082003

Accord 6-cyl

2001 Accord ex V6 drove over a pot hole at about 35 mph and SRS light went on. Taking it to a dealer seems, from all other complaints, to be ineffective but costly.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Feb 152006

Accord 6-cyl

Vehicle is a 2001 Honda Accord ex with 3.0 liter V-6 engine. SRS light on dash came on. I have been told that this means that the air bags will not deploy in an accident. I have also been told that the dealer charges $1300 to replace the SRS module - which I do not have. Why isn't this safety feature covered under warranty?

- Pewaukee, WI, USA

Feb 032006

Accord 4-cyl

: the contact rear ended another vehicle while driving 55 mph. There was no braking prior to the collision. The passenger side air bag deployed, but the driver side airbag did not. Seat belts were worn but the driver sustained a broken left hand and had to have surgery on it. The vehicle was deemed totaled by the insurance company. Updated 3/3/2006 -

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Aug 142005

Accord 4-cyl

SRS light come on for no reason, paid a mechanic to reset the light. 3 month later it come on again, paid again to reset it.

- Austin, TX, USA

Aug 302004

Accord 6-cyl

Since the day I purchased my vehicle (Aug. 2004), the "side airbag"/"SRS" light have continuously come on. I have repeatedly notified the dealership of the problem and they haven't a clue. There are instances where the warning light(s) have been on for well over 2 hrs or 200+ miles. I have brought the vehicle to more than one Honda location for troubleshooting, and they all have no answer. According to Honda's technicians, the warning lights are not leaving a trouble code, so they proclaim they have no possible solution for the issue. The common response is "the SRS system is testing itself, " "there are too many/too little objects in the seat, " "cell phone interference, " etc.. so far Honda has not offered a proper solution, or even a probable cause. At this point I feel extremely unsafe in the vehicle due to this issue. Individual's safety should not be a ignored or dismissed. I feel have been mislead from day one about the reliability, safety, or the car in general. I bought a certified used Honda with the assumption of a excellent/quality vehicle. So far, I have experienced nothing but headaches, numerous serious safety/mechanical recalls, and a lack of interest on the part of Honda. At this point, I am wasting my time, money, and possibly my health in this car. I do not feel safe, therefore I shouldn't have to settle for this vehicle--especially for the price I am expected to pay. It is disappointing to see issues as serious as these, being "swept under the carpet" by it's makers.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Dec 162005

Accord 6-cyl

The SRS indicator in my 2001 Honda Accord ex has lit up for no apparent reason.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Nov 252005

Accord 6-cyl

SRS airbag light in my 2001 Honda Accord continues to illuminate. Unknown reason for activation, no accident history for this to occur. Owners manual states airbag malfunction. After further investigation this is a common problem with Honda's.

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Nov 142005

SRS light comes on. Problem with air bags. I've heard that Honda has a life time warranty on seat belts and not the air bag system. They should cover the SRS(air bags) also. I've heard the SRS is a common problem with 2001 Honda Accord.

- Harriman, TN, USA

Jan 312005

Accord 4-cyl

1. recurrent problem with intermittent flashing of side airbag light since 11/2000. Took it to dealer and module/sensor was replaced but problem recurred in less than 3 months. 2. also has problem with SRS light. It was flashing periodically but it has been on constantly since 02/2005. Honda dealer service advisor felt the cause is leaning on side of seat but problem persists when I am not touching side/edge of seat.

- Jackson, MS, USA

Sep 012005

Accord 6-cyl

I own a Honda Accord ex V6 with nearly 40,000 miles. At times the SRS light comes on until the ignition is turned off. This seems to be happening more and more. I took it back to the dealer but they said I would have to bring it back when the light is on. They could not find anything wrong via the computer memory. The manual says to bring the car in for service when the light goes on.

- Menomonee Falls, WI, USA

Jul 302005

Accord 6-cyl

SRS has come on again, indicating that the 2001 Honda has no operating airbags. We have had this looked at numerous times, and it has been claimed to be fixed numerous times, but always re-occurs.

- Coto De Caza, CA, USA

Jun 152005

Accord 6-cyl

2001 Honda Accord V6 ex. The car was at dealer for some service. Upon return, SRS light came on. Went back to dealer, was told battery needs changing. Changed battery and reset SRS. Was ok for a couple of days and SRS light came back on. Back to dealer where was told that opds needs changing @almost $500. Reset the opds and SRS light. Light stayed off for a week and came back on. Have seen many web posting with same problem and changing opds does not resolve issue. I believe this is a safety issue that Honda needs to take care of. I don't want to spend $500 where they are not really sure if it will fix the problem. 8jb

- La Crescenta, CA, USA

Jun 232005

Accord 6-cyl

My SRS light is on at all times in my 2001 Honda Accord. I took it to a Honda dealership in June, 2005. I was told that when the SRS light is on, my air bag system is inoperable and air bags will not deploy on impact. Dealership inspection found a code for seat belt buckle switch/sensor causing the SRS light. The buckle set has been special ordered and has not arrived after one month. In the meantime, I drive around with my SRS light on and no airbags. Why are there so many complaints about this same issue on the NHTSA website" does this issue need to be addressed as a possible recall" so many of the complaints regarding this same issue are with no resolution. So far I have no resolution. I did not buy a car with no air bags. I want to feel confident my air bags will do their job should I be in an accident. They have saved my life in the past. If you have this same issue, I encourage you to file a complaint.

- Plano, TX, USA

May 302005

Accord 4-cyl

The consumer owns a 2001 Honda Accord. The consumer states that she got into an accident on Monday and the air bags did not deploy.

- Monticello, GA, USA

Apr 122005

2001 Honda Accord is experiencing persistent problems with SRS light. The consumer is concerned that the air bags may not deploy during an accident.

- Wallingford, CT, USA

Mar 172005

SRS indicator light has come on and will not go off. This is a Honda Accord V6 with only 40,000 miles on it. To get it diagnosed it is $100.

- Calera, AL, USA

Jan 282005

Accord 4-cyl

The vehicle was on the road when the passenger right tire went over a pot hole causing the passenger air bag to deploy. Manufacturer has been contacted by consumer.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Aug 012003

Accord 6-cyl

I own a 2001 Honda Accord ex. The SRS light has been on for several months. I have taken it to a local shop to have them try to turn it off, but they cannot. I have read several forum that state Honda is clueless about trying to solve this issue and have charged customers a great deal of money to troubleshoot, but never fix the issue. Honda will not admit that they have a defective system which disables the airbags, creating a life-threatening situation should I have an accident.

- Coronado, CA, USA

Nov 272004

Accord 6-cyl

1. purchased a new 2001 Accord and the air bag lights would come on and off. Returned car to dealership three times w/O corrective action. Finally told that the tecnology is sensitive and nothing can be done. 2. on 11/27/04 I was in an accident. Another car came through an intersection and I hit the car broadside at approximately 35 mph. I hit with the passenger front corner and extending to the midsection of the front of the car. Air bags did not deploy! both vehicles had to be towed, police report filed and minor property damage.

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA