CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

7.9

$2,340.00

1. honda should recall 2002 accords to replace defective tranny (78 reports)
  2. honda should replace transmission at no charge (41 reports)
  4. transmission needs to be replaced (12 reports)
  5. Honda replaced the transmission at no cost (10 reports)
  6. Honda should replace the transmission (8 reports)
2002 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

2002 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 5 of 10)

Sep 272010

Accord SE

I bought the car brand new with only 35 miles on it in April 2002. It has been sitting in my garage since august 2007 because of personall reasons. When I finally get to driving it again in September 2010 the transmission starts to slip and shifts hard. WTF! ! ! I bought it cause I love Hondas, but now I don't know.

- , Hesperia, CA, USA

Sep 102010

Accord LX 3.2L V6

wow, what an education I just got. No longer can you buy a Honda with confidence. Obviously 2002 Accords have major problems with the automatic transmissions. Going to go thru the hoops with Honda on this but I'm sure they will deny our claim.

Our car has been taken care of and is in excellent shape at 82,000 miles.

Please everyone complain and register your complaints with Honda for a possible future class action lawsuit.

best to all

- , Superior, CO, USA

May 222007

Accord LX

A five year old transmission with 56,000 miles on it, especially in a Honda, which is supposed to be a reputable car, should not have to be replaced.

- , Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Sep 032010

Accord

BABY A CAR WELL I DO, AND WHERE DOES IT GET YOU ( TO TRANSMISSION ISSUES.) NOTICE THE OTHER COMPLAINTS AND WOW FUNNY HOW CLOSE IN THE MILEAGE WE ARE. I THINK THAT THERE WAS OF SAYING ITS TIME TO BUY A NEW CAR. MOST ISSUES REGARDING VEHICLES IN LONG TIME SPANS SEEM TO KEEP DISHONEST CAR DEALERSHIPS IN BUSINESS. THIS DOES NOT MAKE ME RUN OUT TO BUY A NEW HONDA. I THINK BEFORE YOU BUY A NEW CAR MAYBE WE NEED TO WRITE UP OUR OWN CONTRACTS. IF SEVERAL OF THE SAME COMPLAINTS COME IN ON A VEHICLE THINGS NEED TO BE LOOKED AT A LITTLE DIFFERENTLY.... OH AND HONESTLY!

- , Fairfield, OH, USA

Jun 022010

Accord LX

This is the second time I've had transmission problems in my car within 3 years. The first time I had my transmission replaced, a used one was put in, resulting in the same issue.

- , Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Sep 202010

Accord ES 3.2L V6

My 2002 Honda Accord Coupe is top of the line everything, with all the bells and whistles. Today, my transmission wouldn't go into gear for my wife. I was able to get it into gear by placing my foot on the brake and reving the engine until it caught. The car worked fine when it was on the Freeway, but at every stop the Transmission did it again and again.

This is a dangerous circumstance. First, if the Transmission won't engage, the danger of someone rear ending you is really a possibility. But worse, if the car lunges when the Tranny engages, you are very probably going to ram into someone.

This is a genuine problem and I think Honda should stand up and make a recall on these cars. It is pretty unbelievable that they don't consider this a hazardous circumstance in view of uncontrollable lunging, etc.

- , Garden Grove, CA, USA

Sep 132010

Accord SE V4

Faulty torque converter damaged my transmission to the point where both need to be replaced. Dealership said that if the torque converter would have been replaced earlier, the transmission could have been saved, but they had no way to diagnose the problem until the computer sent the appropriate codes. By then it was too late - and I was also driving, in traffic, when suddenly my car wouldn't shift out of first gear.

- , St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Aug 122009

Accord EX V6

I bought the car brand new in 2002 and loved it! Then a couple of years later the transmission went bad and needed to be replaced luckily under warranty. after the replacement, 45,000 miles later THE SECOND transmission blew and i had to pay out pocket. finally I was so fed up with the transmission problems (and throwing away money and time) i traded it in for a new honda accord 2010.

this was frustrating to me because anyone who saw my car said "wow looks brand new". i kept up with all the maintenence, regular oil changes, changed spark plugs, and EVERYTHING you can imagine to keep a car like new. it wsa a shame that all the money i put into the car, the transmission was actually FAULTY FOR THAT YEAR MAKE OF THE CAR!!!! Why wasnt there a recall????

I should get some osrt of reimbursement for all the money i spent coupled with the fact that i traded it in for another honda...that 2002 shold have lasted me AT LEAST another year. Im a teacher im nyc (far from rich) and wished i was able to rely on a car that i took such good care of.

- , West Islip, NY, USA

Jun 012010

Accord LX V6

Add me to the list of 2002 Accord owners experiencing transmission problems. In reading all the postings on this site, it seems I've been lucky to get this far before my transmission started seriously acting up. So far, the hesitation and slipping problems are primarily around 1st and 2nd gear. I have noticed also the the TCS light often comes on when the vehicle reaches a speed of 50+ miles.

I have been a dedicated Honda buyer for my entire adult life. I plan on calling my dealer tomorrow. Will post an update later. I keep reading about a class action lawsuit. Is anyone aware of any actual progress being made towards this end?

- , Conway, NH, USA

Accord V6

My husband and I bought this car thinking it would be the last car we would need. I am handicapped and in a wheelchair and have hand controls on the car to make it easier for me to drive.

The transmission has started to fail before the car has even reached 100K. We are told that we will either need to repair the solenoid switches or have the transmission entirely replaced. Seeing that there are hundreds of the same complaint on the 2002 Accord transmissions I feel that this is a problem that Honda needs to address and take care of.

I also feel that there is danger when driving the car because as the car jerks forward when downshifting at a stop sign it gives such a jolt that if the driver isn't pressing hard on the brake the car could move into the oncoming traffic. Because I'm using hand controls my confidence in the situation is worrisome and I'd rather not drive the car until the matter is fixed.

- , Rogue River, OR, USA

Aug 122010

Accord LX 4 cyl

honda accord trannys are p.o.s.!!, went tru 2 in 2 years.

- , Mishawaka, IN, USA

Jul 012009

Accord EX 4 cyl

I bought this car for my wife in November 2001, brand new: a 2002 Honda Accord EX. I have always done the regular maintenance on this car.

Around 90,000 miles it started shifting weird, we took it to the Honda dealership in Lewisville, TX and they said it needed a new transmission. I threw A FIT and wondered why a Honda would fall apart so quickly. The salesman called someone to see if they could cover some of the costs and they said 20% if we can down all the maintenance records over the past 9 YEARS! Come on, really?! They told me the tranny fluid looked fine when it was changed.

I will never buy another Honda if this is the way Honda treats their customers. I have always thought of Honda being the strongest, longest lasting cars on the road. To keep that reputation they need to fix these problems and get us back on the road. BULLCRAP!

- , Lewisville, TX, USA

Nov 032004

Accord EX V4

I bought a Honda because at the time they had a good reputation for being reliable car. My transmission would catch some from the start but in got worse. I took it into my local dealership and they said they didn't see any problem and no recalls were issued. I took it to another dealership in a different town and same thing. They acted like they had not heard of any problems. Then I find out that they are seeing issues with the v6 which does not pertain to me. Yet if Honda has tranny problems with some many different makes and models wouldn't that tell you they make a faulty transmission.

I think they need to step up to the plate be accountable for this and take care of Honda customers. The longer they ignore this it will end up in a class action and cost them so much more in the end. I hope this kills Honda's reputation and I'm going to do my part telling everyone I meet the truth about Honda.

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Accord EX 3.0L V6

I have a 2002 Honda Accord EX v6. I bought this car end of February this year. I know the dealership did everything they could to hide the transmission problem. I paid $10,000 for this car. I expected EXCELLENT condition. The dealer blew me off twice when i wanted them to look at it. I took it to another mechanic who told me the transmission needs replacing. I decided to look online to see if anyone else was having the same issues and BAM! thousands of people with the same problem. Honda needs to step up to the plate and own up to this massive mistake! I've always owned Honda and i currently have 2 of them (01 civic), never had a problem like this. From this point on Honda has lost my business. All 2002 Accord transmissions need recalled and replaced at no charge.

- , Fort Pierce, FL, USA

Aug 042010

Accord

The vehicle has rough (but tolerable) shifting since I bought the car in January 2010. Last week, however, it was stuck in third gear until I turned the car off and on at a traffic light. The check-engine light is on and has been on since.

American Honda (the manufacturer) refuses to help me fix this problem because it has over 100,000 miles, I am the third owner and they have no repair records for it.

- , Claremont, CA, USA

May 012009

Accord SE 2.4L

Transmission continues to become more problematic but Honda dealership can only suggest I bring it in for a trial run and each time I am charged for the appt.

They still have not agreed they have any responsibility for fixing it suggesting there is nothing wrong. I am afraid it will soon lock up and someone will be hurt!!

- , State College, PA, USA

May 152010

Accord EX V6

Car has been great until auto transmission started shifting oddly between first and second gears. Only 80,000 miles at that time. 85,000 now and getting worse. Hesitates, engine revs and transmission jumps roughly into gear. Very similar to the description of the problem experienced by many other compliants on this website. Honda dealer changed fluid and said Honda has not had any problems with that transmission. Mechanics that I know as well as the number of reported complaints tells me this is not the truth. Fluid change had no effect except to lighten my wallet by $100 and was not needed because the fluid had already been changed according to honda specs.

My familly has bought five new hondas since 1993 with only minor problems and I used to be a satisfied, loyal honda owner. If Honda doesn't do something about this problem, then they have lost a good customer to Toyota, Nissan or maybe even Hyndai?

- , Harrisburg, PA, USA

Jul 132010

Accord ES 3.2L V6

i have ulcer's and driving this car just adds to the stress.i wish honda would own up to this mistake and correct it.

- , Olivebranch, MS, USA

Jul 152010

Accord EX V6

So here's what happened: I was rear-ended, my car was totaled and I received a property damage settlement (my car had been paid off, so I pocketed the total settlement and banked it). After "shopping around" for 4 weeks I located a "GREAT DEAL" on a 2002 Honda Accord EX.

I am employed at a non-profit organization and go to college part-time. I don't have ANY extra money and my take-home pay is $1,214.00 a month after taxes. So here I am thinking I would pay cash (by using that property damage settlement I received). That way I would not have a car payment but would own the car free & clear. I felt I would have a VERY reliable vehicle and in two years would be able to trade up when I could afford a car payment after I receive my degree.

I had always believed Honda had a such great reputation and a high mileage rating. The car has 108,000 miles on it, but I thought I would not even be pushing the envelope if I drove that car up to even 150,000 before using it as a trade-in, providing I took care maintained it.

When I purchased it 5 days ago, the oil had just been changed and it had new tires. I had been looking at it for a week before I even bought it. So I drove it to work the first two days amazed at the great gas mileage and and congratulating myself on how well it drove.

On the third day the Check Engine light came on and it would hesitate before starting when I turned the key. My boyfriend who knows a mechanic said to turn the key to alternator for a few seconds before starting it. That worked great and he said it was probably a dirty fuel filter. Would check and fix on Saturday.

Then the 4th day the Check Engine and the TCS lights were on. The TCS light would come on occassionally. Then the 5th day (today) the D4 light started flashing. This is in addition to the other lights I mentioned. Also, would not go into 3rd gear on the highway. RPM's 3,800 at 50 mph.

So, I stop at a gas station and turn off engine. Made phone calls. 15 minutes later I started engine and everything was back to normal. Completely normal. I drove 5 miles and everything started happening again as I described above. Now the car is sitting parked in my driveway. It will be put on the diagnostic machine tomorrow at the shop.

But after reading everything here and everywhere else on the internet, I believe I am F*CKED BIG TIME. I can't study or eat, just have a huge knot in my stomach. I am broke, broke, broke and all I have in the bank is $184.00. I go to work every day, work hard, study, pay my bills. (Did I mention I had thyroid cancer not too long ago?) I really thought I was being so smart and level-headed by getting what I thought was a reliable car. I did not spend a single penny of the property damage settlement on myself. Haven't gotten my hair done in over a year. I need new shoes. I am just SICK, SICK, SICK of this.

If anyone is interested in the outcome, I will post after this weekend with the results of the diagnostic. But it doesn't look good according to what I've read...

- , Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Accord SE V4

Simply put The Honda company needs to step up to the plate and issue a recall on all honda accords 2001 to 2004 for faulty transmissions. Honestly a cars transmission should last longer than 110K, which is when mine finely decided to end it's life span. I called Honda of North America at the 800 number and tell them you need a goodwill repair. They will give you one as long as you do the regular maint. with the dealer. My cost was around 1959+tax. The new transmission comes with a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty.

- , Marysville, WA, USA