- June 10: U.S. Virgin Islands Sues Honda and Takata news | 16 days ago
- May 13: Hawaii Sues Honda and Takata Over Explosive Airbags news | 44 days ago
- May 8: Honda To Recall 21 Million Takata Airbag Inflators recalls | 49 days ago
- May 5: Two More Malaysian Deaths Possibly Caused by Takata Airbags news | 52 days ago
- April 13: Patricia Mincey: Possibly the 11th U.S. Takata Airbag Death news | 74 days ago
2002 Honda Accord
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure has been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accord as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.
Worst 2002 Accord transmission Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- transmission slipping and jerking349
- hesitates and shifts hard187
- transmission failure144
- code p078015
- car revs high before it shifts11
- won't go into gear10
- shifting poorly8
- d4 light blinks while driving7
- shakes when downshifting7
- torque converter is going out7
- transmission fluid leak7
- bearing noise when accelerating4
- high pitch noise when put in gear3
- lurches forward when stopping3
- struggles in reverse as though brake was on3
- loud gear clicking2
- rumbling noise2
- noises in park and neutral but not when in gear1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission336
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Torque Converter4
- NHTSA: Power Train: Manual Transmission3
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Lever And ...2
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Control ...1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.