- July 19: Honda Finance Corp Fined $25 Million For Auto Loan Discrimination
- July 16: Honda Recalls 2016 Pilot To Fix Seat Belt Problems
- July 10: Hyundai Recalls Sonata Sedans To Fix Defective Seat Belt Buckles
- July 9: Exploding Airbags Cause Honda to Recall 4.5 Million Vehicles
- June 19: Death of Jewel Brangman Caused by Takata Airbag
2002 Honda Accord
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure has been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accord as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.
Worst 2002 Accord transmission Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- transmission slipping and jerking341
- hesitates and shifts hard186
- transmission failure141
- code p078013
- car revs high before it shifts8
- won't go into gear8
- shakes when downshifting7
- d4 light blinks while driving6
- transmission fluid leak6
- shifting poorly5
- torque converter is going out5
- bearing noise when accelerating4
- high pitch noise when put in gear3
- lurches forward when stopping3
- struggles in reverse as though brake was on3
- gear shift sticks2
- rumbling noise2
- loud gear clicking1
- noises in park and neutral but not when in gear1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission139
- NHTSA: Power Train: Manual Transmission3
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Torque Converter2
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Control ...1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Lever And ...1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.