- July 19: Takata Has Been Lying (To Everyone) Since At Least 2000 news | 5 days ago
- July 16: Patricia Mincey Takata Airbag Lawsuit Settled news | 8 days ago
- July 7: Honda and Acura Vehicles Recalled to Replace Gas Tanks recalls | 17 days ago
- July 2: Acura HandsFreeLink Problems Cause Battery Drain Lawsuit news | 22 days ago
- July 1: NHTSA Has Urgent Message For Honda and Acura Owners news | 23 days ago
Hesitates And Shifts Hard
2002 Honda Accord (Page 1 of 10)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure has been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accord as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 98,750 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 187 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- honda should recall 2002 accords to replace defective tranny (78 reports)
- honda should replace transmission at no charge (41 reports)
- not sure (28 reports)
- transmission needs to be replaced (12 reports)
- Honda replaced the transmission at no cost (10 reports)
- Honda should replace the transmission (8 reports)