CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

7.9

$2,357.00

1. honda should recall 2002 accords to replace defective tranny (72 reports)
  2. honda should replace transmission at no charge (40 reports)
  4. transmission needs to be replaced (11 reports)
  5. Honda replaced the transmission at no cost (10 reports)
  6. Honda should replace the transmission (7 reports)
2002 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

2002 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 9)

Feb 012014

Accord LX 4 cyl

took to 2 transmission shops - was told transmission needs to be replaced - so frustrating. This vehicle has been well-maintained and driven carefully - so disappointing and will be so expensive!

- , Roy, Utah, USA

Feb 012012

Accord SE 2.3L V4

Had the car checked at the Honda Dealer for maintenance. They replaced the right Front axle seal and noticed a Mild Flare on the 1-2 Up-shift. They said if Flair worsens - will need to have transmission worked on to correct. They gave me an estimate of $4,000 -$5,000.

Have had other Transmission Shops check it out.. (From $1800 to $3K) Some said the same, some said do the timing belt, tune-up then if that does not correct, do the transmission. I notice a little hesitation (intermittently) when it shifts from 1st to 2nd... More so, when it is cold.

- , Cary, NC, USA

Sep 092013

Accord LX

For the past 2 weeks my 2002 Honda Accord LX, with only 86K has been hesitating and then shifting hard from 1st to 2nd and sometimes the engine revs in mid shift. I am worried that this is going to be a growing problem. I bought the car with only 65k on it and here I am a year later with a transmission that seems to be having some significant issues. From all the complaints regarding this very same issue, I think that it is time for Honda to step up and do a recall on this transmission.

- , Puyallup, Washington, USA

Apr 132012

Accord V6

I didn't hesitate to buy a used 02 Accord for my wife because of their reliability record. Everything has changed since I started looking into the trans issue. Anderson Honda wants $4817 to put in a new trans. The car is barely worth that. Never again will I buy a Honda or recommend them. I'm really disappointed and feel like I got ripped off.

Nick.

- , Cockeysville, MD, USA

Aug 012013

Accord LX 4.0

this problem could cause a serious next to deadly auto accident,must be dealt with immediately. Please advise. Eha

- , Tallahassee, FL, USA

Jul 072013

Accord SE

hesitates, shifts hard & rumbling noise.

My immediate family has owned 2 Honda Accords and one Honda Civic(Original Owner's). The first (2001 Civic LX) had transmission problems at about 76k. One Sunny afternoon while driving on the freeway, the transmission went out completely without any warning. At first, I thought "Well, this sucks, but what are you going to do?" Had the transmission rebuilt and sold the car to a friend of mine a year and a half later. After a few k-miles the same Honda Civic developed similar problems with the transmission. It had to be rebuilt once more. At that point I assumed it was a shady job on the company who had rebuilt it, but then, it happened to my brothers 01 Accord at about 117k. His transmission started developing problems with gears slipping among other things. It was very frustrating to have owned 2 Hondas with transmission problems with less than 120k miles on them. Its even more frustrating now that the 02 Accord SE is now also having transmission problems. A new transmission will most likely cost as much as the car is worth. We chose Honda because of their reliability in the past. As far as their engines are concerned, they offer just that. On the other hand, the transmissions, not so much. In my opinion, what good is it buying a car with a reliable engine that carries an unreliable transmission that will fail well before its time and could leave you stranded? I like Hondas, but i have to say I have lost the confidence of what Honda Vehicles represented and therefore my family and I WILL NEVER AGAIN have the pleasure of owning one.

- , City Of Industry, CA, USA

Sep 112012

Accord SE 2.4L

Bought my 2002 Honda Accord SE with 2.4l in May 2011 from a friend of mine with 70,000 miles. I have all the service records on the vehicle. I have had all routine maintenance done on the vehicle and now the vehicle has 95,000 miles the transmission slips or slams into gear in 1st to 2nd gear or when you roll to a stop and press the accelerator the car slams into gear. Other friends of mine with 2000-2002 Accords (with mileage 80,000-100,000) are also experiencing the same problems that I have.

Coincidence?

- , Carpentersville, Illinois, USA

Dec 252012

Accord SE 4 cyl

I have a 2002 Honda Accord with 95K miles. The transmission is failing. When I looked it up on line, I found that it is a VERY common problem in this model, even when all the scheduled maintenance has been done. I am amazed that Honda is being so careless with their brand. I'll pursue it for a while, then fix it one way or another, then sell it and buy something other than a Honda. 3 generations of my family have Hondas. Unless they fix this, we are finished with Honda.

Update from Jan 2, 2013: If you are reading this, and have a similar problem, please submit it to carcomplaints.com so it gets tabulated and Honda can see how many customers they are losing.

- , Oakland, CA, USA

Sep 162012

Accord EX V6

Just like everyone else, I'm going to need to replace the transmission on my 02 AccordV6. And that's after throwing down $1000 last year to replace the motor mounts, that I suspect these defective transmissions threw off.

This was my first honda, bought it in 05 so i would have a reliable car that would last me a long time. Clearly should have bought a Toyota! It's absurd that Honda has not recalled these transmissions. It obvious that they are defective and they should make things right. I'm telling everyone i know to never by a Honda. This is ridiculous.

- , Marina Del Rey, CA, USA

Sep 042012

Accord LX V6

This is the second time the transmission has gone out. First time Honda agreed to pay half, just like most people have said. However, they put the same defective parts back into the Honda and less than 38K miles later it has to be replaced again. This time all at my cost. Honda decided to be a real jerk about their defective cars and do nothing. I would love to find someone filing a class action suit against HONDA and I would definitely join the group. I can also say that I've officially become a Toyota customer! I hope that HONDA's business tanks along with their economy! What happened to the days when you were proud of your product and didn't care to stand behind what you made. I guess they have become so laxed in their production they don't care anymore. Have they not been paying attention to the news lately? People are starting to pay attention to the products they buy! I guess the down turn in the economy hasn't hit them as hard yet. Well look out because Karma is on it's way HONDA!

- , Antioch, TN, USA

Aug 012012

Accord EX V6

In March 2010 I had a torque converter/transmission problem and almost $3200.00 later my transmission was replaced. NOW, a little over 2 years later, I am having the same issue and have been told that my transmission as to be replaced AGAIN. At this point, I am beyond frustrated and can't wrap my mind around why this is happening again.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jun 152012

Accord LX 2.3L

Called Honda a 1-800-999-1009 got a call back from Chris ext.117726. He told me too bad, we offer nothing. Asked for his Supervisor, he said there is none, asked for company POC he sad there is none. Zero help just a royal pain. Asked how about my 20 years of loyalty to Honda. Sorry no dice. Honda does not appear to care. Told them I would buy somewhere else. Despite thousands of complaints Honda is doing nothing.

Below are the codes and the errors.

P0700 Transmission Control System P0700 is an informational code only. It doesn't point to a direct fault in the engine, only a general fault in the transmission. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ P1456 EVAP Emission Control System Leak Detected (Fuel Tank System) Missing Fuel cap- Incorrect fuel filler cap used- Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close- Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap Read more: http://engine-codes.com/p1456_honda.html#ixzz1yBOwX1Ak ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ P1739 3rd clutch transmission fluid pressure switch failure. Possible causes - Low transmission fluid level- 3rd Clutch Pressure Switch harness is open or shorted- 3rd Clutch Pressure Switch circuit poor electrical connection- Faulty 3rd Clutch Pressure Switch Read more: http://engine-codes.com/p1739_honda.html#ixzz1yBOTSMxN ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ P0740 Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid P0740 HONDA Description Possible causes - Low transmission fluid level- Dirty transmission fluid- Faulty torque converter clutch solenoid valve- Torque converter clutch solenoid valve harness or connectors - Torque converter clutch solenoid valve circuit is open or shorted Read more: http://engine-codes.com/p0740_honda.html#ixzz1yBOK2xqa The torque converter clutch solenoid valve is activated, with the gear in D4, by the Transmission Control Module (TCM) in response to signals sent from the vehicle speed and the Engine Control Module (ECM). Lock-up piston operation will then be controlled. When the torque converter clutch solenoid valve is activated, the torque converter lockup clutch will engage creating a 1 to 1 RPM ratio between the transmission input shaft and the rotational speed of the torque converter. Lock-up operation, however, is prohibited when A/T fluid temperature is too low. When the accelerator pedal is depressed (less than 2/8) in lock-up condition, the engine speed should not change abruptly. If there is a big jump in engine speed, there is no lock-up. Read more: http://engine-codes.com/p0740_honda.html#ixzz1yBOFzmEs ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ P1750 Clutch Pressure Control Valve Malfunction P1750 HONDA - Mechanical Problem in Hydraulic Control System of A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Read more: http://engine-codes.com/p1750_honda.html#ixzz1yBOmFqCJ Mechanical Problem in Hydraulic Control System of A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valve Assemblies A and B, or Problem in the Hydraulic Control System comprehensive ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Also found this: http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2002/transmission/transmission_slipping_and_jerking.shtml I have a 2002 Honda Accord Sedan SE. in 2007, I had to have the transmission replaced by Honda Dealer. Indicator that transmission was busted was code PO740 torque converter came up w/ check engine light. I had only 39,000 mi. on the car. Decent Honda dealer convinced district mgr to pay for part of repair after I showed evidence of the numerous complaints about these transmissions and class action suit. Got 3 yr warranty. Well, its now a bit over 3 1/2 years and transmission just started slipping; check engine light on; D4 flashing. Code PO700 Transmission Control System shows 26-01 third pressure switch malfunction; 45-01 shift malfunction; P1739 controlled transmission malfunction. Looks like the dealer rebuilt transmission now needs to be replaced. I have less than 77,000 miles on the car. I had the transmission fluid flushed & replaced less than 2 years and 20,000 miles ago. Sounds exactly like mine.

- , Williamburg, VA, USA

Feb 082012

Accord EX 2.3L 4 cyl

Purchased a used 2002 Honda Accord EX 4cyl with about 85,000 miles on it a year and a half ago from a private seller. Before purchasing, I took it to the Honda dealership where I've purchased 2 other Honda's from before to have it checked out. The said it was in great condition. First thing I did when I bought it home was to change the oil and transmission fluid, and recently I had the timing belt service done. I'm pretty meticulous about the maintenance on my cars. About a month ago, I started noticing that when coming to a stop, the transmission seemed to downshift hard. Did some research on the web about transmission problems with these cars, and unfortunately discovered that this is a pretty common problem in the Accords from 1998-2002. More so with the 6 cylinder models than the 4 cylinder models, but the 4 cyl models had their fair share of transmission complaints. And this from a company who have such a record of reliability and dependability for their cars. I wish now that I had done this research before I bought the car. I took the car to a transmission shop, and they told me $2400 to fix the problem, which is for them to rebuild the transmission. All for a car only 10 years old and with less than 100,000 miles on it! I called American Honda today to see if they would offer any compensation towards the cost of the repair. They said no, because I bought it used, and they have no dealership service history. My argument was that this is a known problem with these cars. They basically said tough. Even though I have purchased two other Honda's new. I guess this will be the last Honda I buy, either used or new. From what it seems, Honda isn't making cars like they used to (to last), and they aren't standing by them either when a part of the car that has obviously been under designed fails. American Honda said that parts in the transmission are "wear and tear" items. I guess that was their argument.

- , Middletown, DE, USA

Nov 152011

Accord SE

Transmission does not switch immediately between second & third gear. Rpm's rev to 3500 before shifting.

- , Oak Lawn, IL, USA

Oct 222011

Accord LX 4 cyl

My husband has had a dynasty of Hondas, and they were always reliable. The difference- his were manual trans. My son got this 02 Accord as his first car from Harry Klause Motors, OC, NJ. October 2007. It was 1 owner, 80+Kmiles. We paid 8K for it. Within a few months, it was slipping, engine light on. We took it to Rossi Honda, on Harry's orders. They refused to fix it on recall, saying we would have to pay 3K. I drove it to Ocean City, Harry gave me a loaner, fixed problem no charge. FROM THAT POINT, THE CAR WAS ALWAYS RELIABLE, until 10/22.

My son was driving home, the car stalled. Engine light came on, D4 flashing. He started the car, it stuttered and went very slow (20 mph) with the gas pedal floored. He pulled over. Called home, took 2 hrs for AAA to get it towed to our local garage (30 min ride). Local guy is former car dealership repair manager, knows his stuff and is HONEST. (James at Monro Muffler/Brakes, Vineland, NJ). He called me and told me that it was likely the transmission, he couldn't fix it, and it would not be worth it to sink that kind of money into the car. Sadly, the car has good tires, all new belts and hoses, semi-synthetic oil changes...another issue: the body is a mess. The hood paint is "webbed", the latch does not work right. The front bumper cracked when we were shoveling snow from around it last year.

So, what did I do? I went to RK Chevrolet's Certified Pre-owned Sale, bought a 09 HHR for 13K. The Honda is in my driveway. I have offered it to two teenagers I am close to, as is, for their Daddies to fix up for them. First towtruck here gets it. Will I ever buy another Honda??? No, thanks. I like my Nissans; and after driving my first Chevy ever (the HHR) I could grow to like these cars too...LOVE that new Camaro!! :)

- , Vineland, NJ, USA

Oct 102011

Accord SE 2.3L

2002 honda accord se, bought brand new from local dealer, trans went out on a out of town trip at 50k miles, hauled back, complained, had it replaced with an old used trans, at 85960 miles,, went out again, dealer want over 5k to fix, called american honda co., they refused to do anything, told them what about the reputation of honda accord they been singing all these years as the most reliable car in its class for 10 plus year??? it didn't budge them, i am not putting up that kind of money to fix it,,even ask them if you guys not fixing it, then at least buy this piece of sh_t back off my hand, they said they couldn't do that either, i am either going toyota camry or ford fusion after this.

- , Houma, LA, USA

Sep 012011

Accord EX 4L

I have received 2 independent repair estimates. One was 2500 and the other was 2000. From what I have read online these repair costs have to be for rebuilt transmissions and not new ones. I am told that this car is worth putting the money into but if there are issues with these transmissions, who is to say that it won't happen again with a re-built one? I am stuck between a rock and a hard place because I really cannot afford this kind of repair if it it won't guarantee that the problem will be fixed.

This is my second Honda. The first Honda i owned was a 1996 Civic which is still on the road and never had a transmission issue. I upgraded to the Accord when I was in the market for a new car because I trusted the Honda name. However, this transmission failed at 75,000 miles!! I cannot seem to get any kind of satisfaction!

BarbaraMA

- , Newton, MA, USA

Sep 012011

Accord EX 2.4L

I have been a loyal Honda owner for a long time. 6 accords and 2 civics. My 2002 coupe,ex is jerking and slipping when starting off anywhere. I have changed the transmission fluid 6 times.At 120k the transmission is slowly getting worse. Honda wants $3,800 - $4,100 for a new one. Called Honda of North America and not even case manager would take my complaint,said the car was too old for a valid complaint. With over 300 incidences of bad transmission issues honda does nothing to help consumer.

We need a lawyer to file another class action suit against co. for negligence.This is ridiculous ! loyal owner no more

- , Lincolnton, NC, USA

Dec 082011

Accord EX-L 4 cyl

STARTED NOTICING SHIFT PROBLEM AFTER LAST TRANS FLUID CHANGE ABOUT 64000 MILES. AT 94600 MILES AND GETTING SERIOUS JUMPING OUT OF LOW GEAR, AND SOMETIMES NO POWER WHEN ACCELERATING.

- , new bern, NC, USA

Jun 012009

Accord EX

Honda gets a lot of credit for making reliable cars...

I'll never buy one again, b/c my transmission started showing problems at 98K, something that should not happen for a supposedly reliable car. And based on what I've read my "transmission issue" didn't meet the qualifications for the recall?

Another lost customer for Honda.

- , Louisville, KY, USA