Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

1. honda should recall 2002 accords to replace defective tranny (78 reports)
  2. honda should replace transmission at no charge (41 reports)
  4. transmission needs to be replaced (12 reports)
  5. Honda replaced the transmission at no cost (10 reports)
  6. Honda should replace the transmission (8 reports)
2002 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

2002 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 2 of 10)

Aug 012012

Accord EX V6

In March 2010 I had a torque converter/transmission problem and almost $3200.00 later my transmission was replaced. NOW, a little over 2 years later, I am having the same issue and have been told that my transmission as to be replaced AGAIN. At this point, I am beyond frustrated and can't wrap my mind around why this is happening again.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jun 152012

Accord LX 2.3L

Called Honda a 1-800-999-1009 got a call back from Chris ext.117726. He told me too bad, we offer nothing. Asked for his Supervisor, he said there is none, asked for company POC he sad there is none. Zero help just a royal pain. Asked how about my 20 years of loyalty to Honda. Sorry no dice. Honda does not appear to care. Told them I would buy somewhere else. Despite thousands of complaints Honda is doing nothing.

Below are the codes and the errors.

P0700 Transmission Control System P0700 is an informational code only. It doesn't point to a direct fault in the engine, only a general fault in the transmission. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ P1456 EVAP Emission Control System Leak Detected (Fuel Tank System) Missing Fuel cap- Incorrect fuel filler cap used- Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close- Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap Read more: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ P1739 3rd clutch transmission fluid pressure switch failure. Possible causes - Low transmission fluid level- 3rd Clutch Pressure Switch harness is open or shorted- 3rd Clutch Pressure Switch circuit poor electrical connection- Faulty 3rd Clutch Pressure Switch Read more: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ P0740 Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid P0740 HONDA Description Possible causes - Low transmission fluid level- Dirty transmission fluid- Faulty torque converter clutch solenoid valve- Torque converter clutch solenoid valve harness or connectors - Torque converter clutch solenoid valve circuit is open or shorted Read more: The torque converter clutch solenoid valve is activated, with the gear in D4, by the Transmission Control Module (TCM) in response to signals sent from the vehicle speed and the Engine Control Module (ECM). Lock-up piston operation will then be controlled. When the torque converter clutch solenoid valve is activated, the torque converter lockup clutch will engage creating a 1 to 1 RPM ratio between the transmission input shaft and the rotational speed of the torque converter. Lock-up operation, however, is prohibited when A/T fluid temperature is too low. When the accelerator pedal is depressed (less than 2/8) in lock-up condition, the engine speed should not change abruptly. If there is a big jump in engine speed, there is no lock-up. Read more: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ P1750 Clutch Pressure Control Valve Malfunction P1750 HONDA - Mechanical Problem in Hydraulic Control System of A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Read more: Mechanical Problem in Hydraulic Control System of A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valve Assemblies A and B, or Problem in the Hydraulic Control System comprehensive ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Also found this: I have a 2002 Honda Accord Sedan SE. in 2007, I had to have the transmission replaced by Honda Dealer. Indicator that transmission was busted was code PO740 torque converter came up w/ check engine light. I had only 39,000 mi. on the car. Decent Honda dealer convinced district mgr to pay for part of repair after I showed evidence of the numerous complaints about these transmissions and class action suit. Got 3 yr warranty. Well, its now a bit over 3 1/2 years and transmission just started slipping; check engine light on; D4 flashing. Code PO700 Transmission Control System shows 26-01 third pressure switch malfunction; 45-01 shift malfunction; P1739 controlled transmission malfunction. Looks like the dealer rebuilt transmission now needs to be replaced. I have less than 77,000 miles on the car. I had the transmission fluid flushed & replaced less than 2 years and 20,000 miles ago. Sounds exactly like mine.

- , Williamburg, VA, USA

Feb 082012

Accord EX 2.3L 4 cyl

Purchased a used 2002 Honda Accord EX 4cyl with about 85,000 miles on it a year and a half ago from a private seller. Before purchasing, I took it to the Honda dealership where I've purchased 2 other Honda's from before to have it checked out. The said it was in great condition. First thing I did when I bought it home was to change the oil and transmission fluid, and recently I had the timing belt service done. I'm pretty meticulous about the maintenance on my cars. About a month ago, I started noticing that when coming to a stop, the transmission seemed to downshift hard. Did some research on the web about transmission problems with these cars, and unfortunately discovered that this is a pretty common problem in the Accords from 1998-2002. More so with the 6 cylinder models than the 4 cylinder models, but the 4 cyl models had their fair share of transmission complaints. And this from a company who have such a record of reliability and dependability for their cars. I wish now that I had done this research before I bought the car. I took the car to a transmission shop, and they told me $2400 to fix the problem, which is for them to rebuild the transmission. All for a car only 10 years old and with less than 100,000 miles on it! I called American Honda today to see if they would offer any compensation towards the cost of the repair. They said no, because I bought it used, and they have no dealership service history. My argument was that this is a known problem with these cars. They basically said tough. Even though I have purchased two other Honda's new. I guess this will be the last Honda I buy, either used or new. From what it seems, Honda isn't making cars like they used to (to last), and they aren't standing by them either when a part of the car that has obviously been under designed fails. American Honda said that parts in the transmission are "wear and tear" items. I guess that was their argument.

- , Middletown, DE, USA

Nov 152011

Accord SE

Transmission does not switch immediately between second & third gear. Rpm's rev to 3500 before shifting.

- , Oak Lawn, IL, USA

Oct 222011

Accord LX 4 cyl

My husband has had a dynasty of Hondas, and they were always reliable. The difference- his were manual trans. My son got this 02 Accord as his first car from Harry Klause Motors, OC, NJ. October 2007. It was 1 owner, 80+Kmiles. We paid 8K for it. Within a few months, it was slipping, engine light on. We took it to Rossi Honda, on Harry's orders. They refused to fix it on recall, saying we would have to pay 3K. I drove it to Ocean City, Harry gave me a loaner, fixed problem no charge. FROM THAT POINT, THE CAR WAS ALWAYS RELIABLE, until 10/22.

My son was driving home, the car stalled. Engine light came on, D4 flashing. He started the car, it stuttered and went very slow (20 mph) with the gas pedal floored. He pulled over. Called home, took 2 hrs for AAA to get it towed to our local garage (30 min ride). Local guy is former car dealership repair manager, knows his stuff and is HONEST. (James at Monro Muffler/Brakes, Vineland, NJ). He called me and told me that it was likely the transmission, he couldn't fix it, and it would not be worth it to sink that kind of money into the car. Sadly, the car has good tires, all new belts and hoses, semi-synthetic oil changes...another issue: the body is a mess. The hood paint is "webbed", the latch does not work right. The front bumper cracked when we were shoveling snow from around it last year.

So, what did I do? I went to RK Chevrolet's Certified Pre-owned Sale, bought a 09 HHR for 13K. The Honda is in my driveway. I have offered it to two teenagers I am close to, as is, for their Daddies to fix up for them. First towtruck here gets it. Will I ever buy another Honda??? No, thanks. I like my Nissans; and after driving my first Chevy ever (the HHR) I could grow to like these cars too...LOVE that new Camaro!! :)

- , Vineland, NJ, USA

Oct 102011

Accord SE 2.3L

2002 honda accord se, bought brand new from local dealer, trans went out on a out of town trip at 50k miles, hauled back, complained, had it replaced with an old used trans, at 85960 miles,, went out again, dealer want over 5k to fix, called american honda co., they refused to do anything, told them what about the reputation of honda accord they been singing all these years as the most reliable car in its class for 10 plus year??? it didn't budge them, i am not putting up that kind of money to fix it,,even ask them if you guys not fixing it, then at least buy this piece of sh_t back off my hand, they said they couldn't do that either, i am either going toyota camry or ford fusion after this.

- , Houma, LA, USA

Sep 012011

Accord EX 4.0L

I have received 2 independent repair estimates. One was 2500 and the other was 2000. From what I have read online these repair costs have to be for rebuilt transmissions and not new ones. I am told that this car is worth putting the money into but if there are issues with these transmissions, who is to say that it won't happen again with a re-built one? I am stuck between a rock and a hard place because I really cannot afford this kind of repair if it it won't guarantee that the problem will be fixed.

This is my second Honda. The first Honda i owned was a 1996 Civic which is still on the road and never had a transmission issue. I upgraded to the Accord when I was in the market for a new car because I trusted the Honda name. However, this transmission failed at 75,000 miles!! I cannot seem to get any kind of satisfaction!

- , Newton, MA, USA

Sep 012011

Accord EX 2.4L

I have been a loyal Honda owner for a long time. 6 accords and 2 civics. My 2002 coupe,ex is jerking and slipping when starting off anywhere. I have changed the transmission fluid 6 times.At 120k the transmission is slowly getting worse. Honda wants $3,800 - $4,100 for a new one. Called Honda of North America and not even case manager would take my complaint,said the car was too old for a valid complaint. With over 300 incidences of bad transmission issues honda does nothing to help consumer.

We need a lawyer to file another class action suit against co. for negligence.This is ridiculous ! loyal owner no more

- , Lincolnton, NC, USA

Dec 082011

Accord EX-L 4 cyl

- , new bern, NC, USA

Jun 012009

Accord EX

Honda gets a lot of credit for making reliable cars...

I'll never buy one again, b/c my transmission started showing problems at 98K, something that should not happen for a supposedly reliable car. And based on what I've read my "transmission issue" didn't meet the qualifications for the recall?

Another lost customer for Honda.

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Dec 082011

Accord LX 2.3L In-Line 4

Automatic transmission hesitates then shifts roughly into gear, taking extra time to get up to speed. Problem started at only 42,060 miles! Honda says $3000 for new transmission, but mentions some other work that "I will kick myself later" if I don't have done at the same time, bringing total to $6000.

- , Fremont, CA, USA

Aug 012011

Accord ES 2.3L

I bought my 2002 Honda in April brand new. Since I don't drive that much I expected low maintenance for many years to come. To my surprise just after I rolled over to 60K miles I started having transmission problems that started with hesitations when shifting on acceleration AND down shifting. Sometimes it was slight and others it sounded like my engine was going to fall out. It progressed over a few months happening almost every time I drove it. When I called my Honda dealer in Mesa they said they could do NOTHING as my warranty was up AND it was 9 years old.

Because I plan on keeping this car for many years I had the work done, but I chose AAMCO who gave me a 2 year warranty. The cost was $2423.00 that was a competitive price.

- , Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Feb 012009

Accord LX 4

I was told 2 years ago by a Honda dealership that a solenoid was defective in the transmission. Solenoid was replaced but problems did not go away completely. Transmission would shift, but hard and with great delay in 1st gear. I returned to 2 other dealerships but was told that the car did not have an issue. I will not travel with the car as I am afraid the transmission will fail when it gets hot as it did the 1st time when I was 300 miles from home. I recently took the car to a local transmission shop whom I trust and was told this is a common occurrence with this make and model. I was also told that a recall was issued but I never was notified by mail or phone even though this is a 1 owner car.

- , Kannapolis, NC, USA

Oct 312011

Accord SE 2.3L

Last year car had difficulty shifting but recently it's gotten much worse, transmission slips , jerks and doesn't want to change gears. Really uncomfortable, definitely very close to failing. I think that Honda needs to at least subsidize fixing this issue. I am almost considering to purchase Camry as my next car although had several Hondas in my life as well as current Odyssey that we use as a family hauler.

- , Marysville, WA, USA

Oct 252011

Accord Limited 3.2L

I have a 02 Honda accord limited 2.4 vtech that I took in for the check engine light.I had the o-2 censors replaced,vtech seal,distributor seal,trans.serviced. I was told the car was shifting hard and sluggish in the AM because of cool weather, I said B!@@#$%^.

after paying almost $600.00 ,this morning while pulling out of th drive way the car was again very sluggish RPM @ 5 and the car was barely @ 20 was so slow the check engine line came back on and the D4 light was flashing,even when I shifted the car in to R . I don't know what is wrong or how to fix the problem !! Please help with any info . I drove back to the house and put the car in P and the D4 light was still flashing,I turned it off , my husband started the car and drove it with no problems .WTF !!!! He thinks I'm crazy ,but I'm not! The D4 light is no longer flashing, but the check engine lightis on again!!! Any info pleas help.

- , Ocala, FL, USA

Jul 202011

Accord SE 2.3L V4

Transmission sometimes takes a while to engage in first or second gear. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, I sometimes hold up traffic while it takes its time figuring when to engage. When I changed the transmission fluid, I found metal shavings in the fluid. I changed 3 times within a couple of weeks, and it did seem to give it new life. But the symptoms keep coming back. It seems to me that the metal shavings are probably causing the clutch to slip. Planning to overhaul transmission soon to see if I can get past this issue. Car has 200,000 miles on it, and except for the transmission slipping problem, runs fine.

- , Marietta, GA, USA

Oct 012009

Accord EX 2.3L L4 Sohc 16v

I have only been driving Honda Accords. First was 92, now it's 02.

Last 2 year I've noticed significant transmission slippage in my 02 accord. From 1st to 2nd gear it'll hesitate then shift real hard(almost to the point of whiplash), 2nd to 3rd gear has same problem but not as severe. 3rd to 4th has it too but almost unnoticeable.

Problem is seen most often when accelerating at a decent rate.

I've changed my transmission fluid every 3 years or so with ATF-Z1 fluid. Tried Lucas transmission fix. No difference. About to try Rislone.

I hope to drive it to 200k but not sure if I'll make it. I'm hoping to NOT have to pay $2500 to get it rebuilt and just deal with it if/when it breaks down completely.

With this problem the driving will be unpredictable and dangerous; a major safety issue.

- , Durham, NC, USA

Jun 212011

Accord V6

Transmission,,,,,,,same problems as everyone else on this site. Come on Honda, step up to the plate and take responsibility

- , Lantz, NS, canada

Jun 182010

Accord EX V6

I bought this car with 92,000 miles on it, for $9,500.00. At 153,000 miles the transmission went out. This is my third honda, the other two were great! With all of the complaints i believe honda should issue a recall, obviously there is a problem. I just made my last car payment, however, am still paying my credit card for the new transmission. My next car will not be a honda!!

- , Columbia, SC, USA

Apr 152011

Accord 3.0L

I am with the other Accord owners. Clearly this is an issue Honda should fix or at leats defray the cost of.

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA