Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

1. replaced transmission (95 reports)
  2. replace transmission (23 reports)
  4. sold the Accord (3 reports)
  5. traded in for new Accord (1 reports)
2002 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

2002 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

May 162016

Accord LX 4 Cylinder

We purchased the 2002 Honda Accord from an individual. He was one car owner. Transmission is gone!!! at 132,000 miles

Unbelievable - We have owned four Hondas but this is an extreme disappointment. Our mechanic told us we would have to replace the transmission - approximate cost $2000.00. We purchased Hondas because they run forever and are reliable. Our mechanic also told us that the early years of 2000 the Hondas had transmission problems. His daughter had to replace transmission - model year early 2000 - Honda Civic.

I see on this website that individuals should avoid the model years of early 2000 like the plague.

- , Matthews, NC, USA

May 292011

Accord ES V6

Transmission started showing signs of problems a year before. I took care of the car.

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Aug 022015

I bought this car about a year ago, it had 133990 mileage on it, and now it's at 145000 mileage. Last night on my way home, the car suddenly stops and I wasn't sure what was wrong with it. The car turns on fine but it just won't go anywhere. My friend who is a mechanic tells me, it's a transmission failure. I'm still paying this car off and I don't know how I'm suppose to fix this problem. I don't have that much money, and I didn't expect this to happen within such a short time. How can Honda help me go though this?

- , Waldorf, MD, USA

May 152015

Accord LX V6

I was driving back home from doing errands when the transmission just totally failed. I was really pissed off because there wasn't even a slipping it before. Every time I shut the car off and let it sit for a few minutes, I'll turn it back on and I can drive for about a half a mile before it fails again and I can't go anywhere. It's kind of crazy because I didn't think I had a transmission problem, until I couldn't use the car anymore. I'm wondering if this might be something else or it is the tranny that went bad.

If anyone who is reading this article please email me if this might be something else. I'm pretty sure it's the tranny especially all the complaints about the 02 Accord. I wish I would have known this Web site before I bought this POS. I would definitely not buy a 02 Accord.

- , Winston Salem, NC, USA

May 192010

Accord LX 4 cyl

Took it in to be repaired. Low mileage on the car. Shouldn't have happened. Now it needs it again at a cost of $2,400! Only 26K miles were added.

- , Buckeye, AZ, USA

Dec 202014

Accord SE 4

Bought the car with 30k miles - transmissions don't last 65K period. I've had 2 fail in less. Honda acts like they've never heard of this being an issue.

My first transmission failure was a sudden loss of forward movement while out of town in a busy intersection when the car had only 65,000 miles. Almost was a very serious accident, family in the car. Honda replaced the entire transmission at portion of the cost with me. I believe i paid close to $1000.

Second failure (another 60,000 miles) Loss of reverse While trying to complete a 3 point turn with distant traffic, reverse quit while car was in oncoming traffic. reverse was extremly slow- another close call. notified honda, they could not replicate despite being informed the car needed to be warm for this to occur, i was told there was no problem even though I'm having to get out and push my car regularly at this point.

eventually the reverse worked as a brake when going downhill in reverse. took back to honda- needs a $4500 replacement transmission including labor,,, no good will Honda customer service told me I needed to take responsibility for my vehicle at some point and TRANSMISSION FAILURE IS NOT A COMMON PROBLEM FOR 02 and kept repeating i shouldn't expect honda to be accountable for a 12 year old car , !!! NO a 65,000 mile HONDA REPLACED transmission. I wasn't asking for a car replacement.!!

Honda needs to take responsibility for a defective product.I promised no good will, no future customer...

Final death of car After months of strategic parking and just about every transmission problem possible, Week before Christmas 2014 the entire transmission just stopped shifting-great time for it.

I'm not a dice roller and need more faith in a car manufacture than i have with honda now.

- , Hixson, TN, USA

Aug 252014

Accord LX

I've had routine maintenance on this 2002 Accord LX (which I bought new) over the years. In 2014 and with only 73,000 miles on it, the transmission has failed and needs replacing at a cost of $4,100 (which is equal to the value of the car). I feel that Honda should cover at least some of the cost of the replacement. These cars are supposed to have a good reputation as long-lasting way over 100,000 miles, right? Not so much with mine. I have now read numerous similar complaints regarding the transmissions on the late 90s-early 00s Honda models.

- , Washington, DC, USA

Dec 142013

Accord LX 2.3L 4 cyl

I bought a used 2002 Accord LX from a supposedly reputable Honda dealership with 109,000mi. While under an extended warranty they replaced the transmission with one that had 97,000 mi on it. I was told I had no option on the unit they found, that they submitted to Honda Care, cost was 1,700 dollars, my deductible was 100 dollars. I complained about putting a 97,000mi trans in it, again told by dealership I had no say.

When in actuality I could have gotten a re-manufactured one, according to Honda Care. The dealership said otherwise so I was stuck with it. About 3000mi later that trans failed and my extended warranty just ran out. Went back to dealer and this time they found a trans with 117,000mi on it, again, I complained again and was told that's what I'm getting. I was not told about any cost out of pocket, they gave me a rental at their cost, that was OK, then I get the call that my car was done and, oh by the way, we need 700 dollars for part of the labor. I had no choice but to pay or not get car back.

I went to pick up car and asked for a trade in value, mind you, I paid 6000 dollars for the car less than a year ago. They told me a they would give me 2000 for it! The car was in better shape than when I bought it! I picked car up and went down the street to another dealer told them what was up, and asked for trade in value on a new car, they offered 3500, and about 3hours later I drove off in a 2013 new car! No down, 250 dollars a month payment! Honda lost a good customer for 700 dollars! Bonehead move on their part .

- , Concord, CA, USA

Oct 142009

Accord LXI

I had the transmission in our 2002 Honda Accord replaced in 2009 when the car had 97,696 miles on it. Went to Honda to have it replaced. Now 4 years later (less than 33,000 miles later) the transmission needs to be replaced again. And Honda will not provide any assistance to replace what I believe was a bad transmission back in 2009. When I call their customer service line they said there is nothing they could do and said the car is 12 years old now -- insinuating that the car is not worth them investing money in or providing financial assistance to me for the repair. I think it is very interesting that they said they gave me a one time goodwill jesture when they sold me the first transmission -- i wonder if by goodwill gesture that is code for we are going to give you a used piece of crap that will last just a little longer than the warranty so that we don't have to cover any further repairs.

I also think it's terrible that Honda would bash the tenure of the car especially given the miles (now 131K) when Honda's are supposed to be such good cars. Seems like they say whatever they need to in order to help their argument. I will not be buying any more Hondas. And i t hought I was doing the right thing using Honda parts and going exclusively to the dealership for repairs. I guess I was a fool for doing that.

Seems like there has been a history of Honda and poor transmissions. Seems like they still don't have it under control. Very dangerous and very unprofessional. I gave my son the car in 2011 so that he would have a safe reliable car to drive to and from school and then college. But this is not good. As a corporation they are not acting responsibly, otherwise they would have acknowledged the problem and poor history and would have done the right thing to replace the transmission without charging me yet another $2K+

- , Levittown, PA, USA

May 312012

Accord EX V6

Got my first quote to have my transmission replaced on my 2002 Honda EX Accord 6 cyl. 4 to 5 thousand dollars. This is from a independant car repair shop. I will be getting more quotes!!

Outraged there wasn't a recall on these cars. When I get it repaired.. I am selling it and buying something other than a Honda. I am living on retirement and can't afford this.

- , Hanford, CA, USA

Aug 022013

Accord SE 4 cyl

My 02 Honda Accord SE needs its 3rd transmission! Honda will not take responsibility for the problem. The first transmission went out at 32,000 miles, one mo. after I bought it. That time the warranty covered the cost. Then the transmission went out again at less than 120,000 miles. I paid to have it replaced, and now again at 150,000 miles it needs another transmission.

Honda of America needs to address this problem! I can't afford to replace the transmission again! I have called and talked to Honda Corp. and was told they can not do anything! Really!!! I will never again buy another Honda!! If the company can not take responsible for the defect, they will never get anymore of my business. Spread the word, Honda of America needs to "Man Up."

- , Petal, MS, USA

Apr 012012

Accord SE 3.2L V4

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 052013

Accord Special Edition 2.3L

My car is a pre-owned certified Honda Accord SE 2002. I bought it in 2003 and when I bought it, it had a little over 15K miles. I loved it! I don't do a lot of long distance driving; I'm a city traffic driver. With that said, other than an accident in 2006 when I was hit by a city truck and survived, the work done on my car has been normal maintenance.

I will say that I learned the hard way about Honda's paint quality or lack thereof as I began to experience paint fading and the beginning of some rusting on the roof of the car. a couple of years ago. So, in 2011, I decided to have the whole car painted. It cost me $2500 but it was worth it. I've really enjoyed this car. And knowing how many miles I usually accrue annually on my cars, I knew I'd have this for a while. My it as long as possible until I was nearing retirement and then buy another Honda or a version of whatever my "dream car" would be.

When I began noticing a bit of lurching when I accelerated, smelling what I thought was oil leakage and strange braking patterns, I knew something wasn't right. I assumed it would be something that ranked in a normal range of repair. To hear last week that my transmission was failing was so disappointing. Even the mechanics in the independent shop that has serviced my car since I bought it was startled that I was having this problem. They know how well I take care of my car AND how I stay on schedule with regular maintenance. I tried contacting the Honda Customer Service line to see if I could get any assistance. I received sympathy, but no help. I was instructed to deal with the local Honda dealership. As of this week, I was told by them that my request for assistance was denied. After I told them what it was going to cost me if I used my regular independent shop ($4700) or another shop ($4400), the local Honda dealer came back with an estimate of $3990. It's still a lot of money, but I plan on going with their low estimate since I want Honda to be fully responsible for this repair. I'm told it will come with a 36 month warranty. If it didn't, I wouldn't get it fixed at all. My hope? this for at least another year before I decide on my next ideal car. Not sure it will be a Honda...we'll see.

- , Franklin, VA, USA

Aug 292011

Accord EX

My transmission was replaced in August of 2011. In January 2012 it went out again and the mechanic that fixed it honored the warranty and replaced it again. Now March 29, 2013 The transmission has gone out again. Not sure if I will ever purchase another Honda. Once it was fixed it should not have gone out again. As of right now I don't know what I am going to do.

- , Acworth, GA, USA

Mar 242013

Accord ES V6

Just a week after getting this ten year old green Honda Accord V6, transmission failure light started smiling at me. I cannot afford to replace transmission and I am without car. (like the saying one can live in US without a wife but without a car) I am stuck. Hello Honda... you hearing? Any suggestions?

- , Smyrna, GA, USA

Dec 212012

Accord SE 2.3L

Well I bought this damn Honda Accord a year ago with 137k thinking it would be a good car since it is Honda. I was completely wrong!!! I am sooo disgusted with Honda this piece of junk they made!! I still have so many other problems with it!! It is a piece of sh*t!! Not even a Malibu Classic 2004 with 160k miles gave me so much trouble... I hate the car now I need to go through the trouble of selling this piece of crap!!

- , Tucson, AZ, USA

Feb 232013

Accord EX

My 2002 Honda Accord, at just 115,000 miles is on its THIRD transmission. I replaced the transmission at 62,000 miles at a Honda Service Center. Now, just 53,000 miles later, I need another transmission. What! This is crazy! I complained to Honda Corporation and they offered me $500, that's right, $500..saying they could no longer pay out on this problem.

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 152008

Accord EX

i purchased this 2002 car, used, in 2006. If I had known about the transmission problems and the law suit against Honda, I never would have bought the car. I bought the car relying on the reputation of tarnished in my eyes.

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 032013

Accord EX V6

I really don't even know where to start with this car from hell. I bought the car at the Honda dealership around 03/09 and the car had 66,530 miles. The car was in good shape, had no accidents and inspection showed no sign of any major problems with the vehicle. The test drive went well and a couple of weeks went by with no signs of any problems. Then, a couple of months later, I started feeling the car being a bit sluggish. Hitting the gas pedal felt rough-like it was having trouble accelerating. My brain immediately went to the thought that this car was having transmission problems. I went to a Honda service center and they explained that they found nothing wrong. So, I just went on driving the car thinking I was just overly apprehensive after making a major purchase.

On and off, this car seemed sluggish,but, year after year, no problem was discovered and I was hoping it was just me. Recently, I was driving and out of the blue my car's D4 light started blinking and I knew this wasn't good at all. My car needed to be inspected anyway,so I took it to the Honda dealer. They explained to me that I had transmission failure and I would need to pay around $5,000 to pass the inspection. I couldn't believe that a Honda with 99,282 miles that was serviced would have transmission failure. I don't have that kind of money to throw around at a car that is not worth the price to fix the problem.

I went online and could not believe the amount of 2002 Honda Accords that had transmission problems around this mileage. It seemed that every 30,000 miles a new transmission problem would show up in these cars. I called Honda corporate which was a waste of my time. All the lady said was "Sorry, we can't help you." The amount of complaints I have heard about this vehicle and the fact Honda hasn't done anything about it is a DISGRACE. It is obvious that they don't care for their customers with their faulty transmissions and the lack of quality in the products Honda puts in their vehicles.

I actually enjoyed this vehicle when I first bought it and loved driving it around for the first couple years. I was thinking about trading up. Then, I found out about all the major problems with Honda's transmissions. Honda was a quality name for vehicles, which was the reason I bought the 2002 Accord and steered my friend into buying the same model. I am deeply offended and embarrassed that I referred my friend to this vehicle. DO NOT BUY THIS VEHICLE!! TOTAL NIGHTMARE!! HONDA has lost a valued customer to TOYOTA

- , Plymouth Meeting, PA, USA

Aug 162012

Accord LX

I HAVE WROTE TO HONDA BY EMAILING TO THEIR TWITTER ACCOUNT, REGULAR Mail, FAXED, And on Phone no one can be reached ( someone just took my information to call back and never did) ...THIS WAS SPECIFIED AS EXTREMELY URGENT AS LIFE AND DEATH and HONDA IT Completely had ignored it. I am re-posting it publicly!

Honda Automobile Customer Service 1919 Torrance Boulevard Mail stop: 500- 2N-7D Torrance, CA 90501-2746 Phone: 1-800-999-1009 Fax: (310) 783-3023

1. Request for an immediately recall for Honda Accord LX 2002 models as having dangerous transmission problems and overall the car’s safety or quality numerous concerns.

2. To Fix the problems and refund caused damages due to it, Refund paid purchase cost including damages, Replace to a new car with included paid and damages occurred

To whom it may concern,

This letter is both to inform you about Honda Accord LX 2002 transmission problems that require immediately recall action and a request to correct problems that caused damages, mental distress, or shattered core existence; lost of everything.

After five months not having my car due to the transmission final failure I am facing core survival and unable to obtain a job, lost a commission paid job, lost scholarship & tuition , messed –up the grades, this semester about to face homelessness and not be able to continue my studies, the interviews are missed; the unemployment appeal is missed; medical appeal is missed, arbitration is missed, I have lost everything and suffering medically but even can’t reach or communicate properly with authorities because loss of transportation ; I can’t walk to my mail box to pick –up mail timely ( it depends if someone takes me there). I Can‘t get even the housing assistant due to not having transportation and insufficient income (0-income). So, I need a car immediately to live in and to find a job. I am trying to survive but I am spinning my wheels nowhere and it could be a wrongful death claim; I do not have any straight left to go further. I will spell out all damages in the damages column later; but you got a picture- I have lost everything!

I was provided with all different estimated prices to fix the transmission alone from $2500 to $5000. One of the honest mechanic said “Girl, Honda has transmission problems for a long time. I will not take responsibility on me to fix it because even a new transmissions having the same problems after couple months of replacement. I heard that Honda had recall for that problem so do your research and contact Honda”. My research (Aug- Sept.2012) had shown only recall for 2005 -2010.

According to New York Times still Honda transmission problems to persist. I started to do the research again and what I have found just left me speechless, lost of hope, and fear for my future. The hottest topic of December 2012 complaints were about Honda Accord LX + of 2002 on I have learned that Honda has transmission problems since 1998, but recall was done for 2005-2010 models. Accords’ owners demanding recall for the transmission problems from previous years as well as including my model and year that seems to be the major problem forgotten or ignored before something serious will happen . December 27: The Top Problem Trends for 2012 on about 2002 Honda Accord transmission slipping and jerking or causing car to dangerously lurch forward , stalling to start and so on. I did experience all these problems mentioned above and in the consumers’ comments; plus more.

The injury is an injury it is doesn’t matter or it caused directly the physical accident because of the car defects or problems that had resulted from these defects. In my case I have lost my core existence from the resulted problems of these defects and facing a core survival.

I bought my car on November 13 of 2010 from BRENTWOOD AUTO SALES (used cars) Raleigh, NC. Odometer reading was 113054 miles. The problem of slipping and jerking and skipping the second gear was slightly observed at that time. But I have been told that this is only my imagination (friendly remark) and that with Honda’s reputation I can drive 300K miles +++ at least.

Within two days I brought it back because jerking worsens. One of the mechanics told me that he can’t find any problem and recommended to use more expensive gas for a while in order to clean the transmission and later on to change transmission fluids; and that this is normal with the older cars. I did follow his recommendations, but problem only worsen with the time passing by.

At the same time, the mechanic recommended, if I am so sensitive and afraid of car not working properly, then I should change a filter inside the transmission but this will cost somewhere about 1500. I said, I just bought a car two days ago if I need to spend this money on it right away I wanted to return her. But again, I was told, that this is just my preference and that car has a reputation to drive for many more years to 300K miles +++. I was convinced and I felt embarrassed so I took they word for it. But problems just kept popping and popping and worsen until my car finally completely stopped in August of 2012 at miles rate of 130 K miles + Since, the car is not drivable and I do not have any survival income - both insurance and plate has expired; plus punishment fees on top on it. Plus credit damaged resulting from this.

Today, as I am learning the truth, I do not think that the original owner of this car or the dealer was not familiar with the problem that results in leaving me today without a car or any income and personal loan of five (5) thousands for this car still unpaid. I paid for this car 7 K+++ in cash (borrowed 5 K); I really feared for my safety when I have been driving this car and as of today I am afraid for my survival because of outcomes resulted from it.

As I said in the previous paragraphs above, I got my car with jerks when sh*ts to a second gear (actually second gear not works at all). I did follow all recommendations: change transmission fluids, drove with an expensive gas, change oil regularly and done unnecessary repairs including tires change a few times. However, my car had ignored all my efforts by constantly slipping and jerking, transmission leaks, stalling, change tires a few times, change O2 census – but still light ‘check engine remains”, change battery, checked fluid level and change oil regularly. But, my car still not happy: started smell, stalling worse, it hard to start (key will not move sometimes), it hesitates and don’t want to move…and suddenly she got so upset so she just jumped…Ok, refusing to serve me… But, she said I can’t and she finally gives-up… Now is my turn. But, I am not giving up and I am trying to help her so we can be reunited again or replaced. Maybe the story told in this manner will put a smile on your face and moves your heart.

Orderly problems occurred as it bulleted down: • Got it with slipping and jerking gear. Within two days returned, but I was advised that there are no urgent problems and that only my imagination. • Key time from time do not starts or hard to remove. • Problem with a back window to close when opened it. The dealer closed it and recommended not to open it anymore. • Wheel bearings going out and car drags that cause to replace a few times tires and the brakes pads. • Ball joint it was thought in the beginning, but then a transmission OR both. • Change sensors but still ‘check engine light remains’ – it shows P1166 and P1167 an Air /Fuel Ratio sensor – are generally wide band O2 sensor that could be anything. Smells. • It could be this problem with sensor & check engine light as according to the Japanese automaker “Honda said the sensor wire could break and cause the air bag warning light to be illuminated and prevent the sensor from working properly. When the sensor fails, the air bag system automatically moves to full inflation pressure, which could increase the risk of injury for smaller drivers in a frontal crash”. • Finally transmission gone and my car now taking a long rest in someone’s parking lot. I believe it is also a gear breakage! • PLUS, I received letter from you about an airbag safety recall. Your letter was dated November 2012 and I picked it during winter holidays. This letter made me feel worse and totally disappointed in Hondas. It was my first Honda and hopefully the last. • PLUS RESEARCH DEMONSTRATED THAT HONDA CONSISTENTLY HAVING PROBLEMS AND THAT HAVE RESULTED IN CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT BY EXTENDING WARRANTY ON MY CAR’S MODULE TO 100K Miles +OR SEVEN YEARS WHAREWER IS FIRST. BUT, IT WAS SOLD TO ME WITH 113K MILES. I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT THE SELLER OR DEALER DO NOT KNEW ABOUT IT! It is NOT my Imagination, but the seller’s deception and Honda’s poor quality.

Here is my call for SOS to prevent a wrongful death and damages for my core existence. And, it is Honda’s straight responsibility to replace this old car into a new car. Research has revealed that a new transmission of this model still have the same problems and going bad fast. So, based on both my experience and research, I asking American Honda to replace an old car to a completely new car with all expenses covered. Plus, to compensate all damages resulting from it. Also, if it possible could I choose Toyota …I am afraid of Honda. Just Please do Not start saying that the car is more than ten years old (as in some cases of research was mentioned ), because you just sent a letter recalling Air Bag problem.

Please just not tell me that you or dealer not knew about the problem and ethically sold it to me. According to New York Times, here is exactly what has been told “Honda told the safety administration that the problem was that certain operating conditions can result in heat build-up between the counter shaft and secondary shaft second gears! That could lead to” gear tooth chipping or; in very rare cases, gear breakage”. “It is possible, the automaker said, the transmission could lock up, increasing the change of a crash”. I did experience all of it and even the rare case “gear breakage” –was sold with it.

My car was jerking, stalling, and then jumping …but luckily no one was hurt. But, I am being cut –off from all survival means with unbearable damages to recover. I will present the list of all damages occurred later. Here is my call for SOS to prevent a wrongful death so I can look for a job and have a place to stay, and to seek medical care immediacy. Combination of all unfair circumstances could lead to sudden wrongful death and without a car I am afraid that I will not survive.

Thanks for your proper and immediate response to this matter, Wanda Hudson __________________

- , Morrisville, NC, USA